Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

90mm alternatives to the Summicron - either M or LTM
Old 01-27-2020   #1
CharlesDAMorgan

90mm alternatives to the Summicron - either M or LTM

I like the 90mm focal length a lot, but my 1st edition one is somewhat large, prone to flare and lacking a bit of punch (if Zeiss did 90mm M mount fast lenses that don't have issues). In colour, which I don't shoot much, I think the Summicron is a joy.

Any recommendations worth considering in M Mount or LTM with a bit more contrast and somewhat lighter - I doubt I would ever use anything slower than f2.8 (so bye bye tele tessar). Cheaper than more modern Leica is also good.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 01-27-2020   #2
Timmyjoe

I've used a number of 90mm Leica lenses, and haven't found one I like as much as my Nikkor-P.C. 8.5cm f2.0 LTM. It's probably not any lighter than the Leicas or much smaller, but I really like the way it renders.

Best,
-Tim

Old 01-27-2020   #3
bullterrier

Voigtländer apo lanthar 90mm but f3?5..its small though and looks nice in silver

Old 01-27-2020   #4
ranger9

I had that first-gen 90/2 Summicron (the one with the built-in tripod socket) and I found it super disappointing. I was much happier with the LTM version of the 105/2.5 Nikkor (big and heavy) and happier yet with the 100mm f/2 Canon, which I still own. One potential gotcha is that nobody except Nikon made a camera with a 105 frameline, and nobody but Canon made one with a 100 frameline.

Old 01-27-2020   #5
CharlesDAMorgan

Four that had not occurred to me! 85 is fine with framelines, not so sure about the others, but a slightly tighter crop is not the end of the world. Thanks!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 01-27-2020   #6
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

The newer Leica Elmarit-M is amazing in my opinion and can be had for about $850 depending on condition. Additionally the older Leica "fat" tele-elmarit 90mm f2.8 can be had for about $650 or so, and again, a great option. Nice and compact but a little bit heavy. Finally, the Konica Hexanon-M 90mm f2.8 is even cheaper, resembles the Elmarit-M (latest) and has pretty good reviews from what I've seen. I've not owned this lens, but always wanted to try it, especially given the price, maybe $400 (not sure on this one). In any event, you have a lot of good options out there.

Old 01-27-2020   #7
Huss

I use the Leitz Macro Elmar M 90mm f4.
Fantastic and tiny.

Old 01-27-2020   #8
valdas

Elmarit -M? Quite compact, very very sharp. Nice bokeh.

Old 01-27-2020   #9
DominikDUK

Leica Summarit-M 2.5/90mm can be found for the same price as later Summicrons and is very very sharp

Old 01-27-2020   #10
splitimageview

90/2.8 Tele Elmarit, nice and light, actually pretty much the same size as the 90/4 Elmar.

If weight isn't an issue, 85/2 Nikkor.

Old 01-27-2020   #11
CharlesDAMorgan

Even more!

I fear Huss that the Macro Elmar M is just too rich for my blood, alas. I shall use the excuse of the f4.

Old 01-27-2020   #12
D.O'K.
Darren O'Keeffe.

I'll put a word in for the humble 90mm LTM elmar, my copy of which at least is sharp and pretty contrasty, and surprisingly flare-free for its era (although I tend to use a lens hood). They're also fairly small and light, and have good ergonomics.

However at f4 it might be a bit slow for you--but they're cheap!

Regards,
D.

Old 01-27-2020   #13
CharlesDAMorgan

I had the LTM Elmar 90 Darren, I found it a bit inclined to flare, so while it's a nice old beastie I'll pass (but it's certainly cheap!)

Old 01-27-2020   #14
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

The Voigtlander 90mm f3.5 APO-Lanthar LTM lens. It might not be fast but it's good!

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168121

All the best,
Mike

Old 01-27-2020   #15
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
90/2.8 Tele Elmarit, nice and light, actually pretty much the same size as the 90/4 Elmar.
And as a matter of fact, it's only a tad longer and heavier than the 75mm CV Color-Heliar. I will throw it in the bag when I want a small light 90 along. I'm thinking of the thin Tele-Elmarit when I say this.

Old 01-27-2020   #16
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantface View Post
The newer Leica Elmarit-M is amazing in my opinion and can be had for about $850 depending on condition.
I still have my original chrome 90 Elmarit. I've always thought of it as being about as sharp as a lens could be. A tripod is definitely required to fully appreciate how good it is. But I have wondered how much better the Elmarit-M might be--not that I need a better lens. Maybe someone who has tried both could comment or show examples.

Old 01-27-2020   #17
presspass
filmshooter

Another vote for the thin tele elmarit. I have, and use a Summicron, but when I want light and sharp, I turn to the tele elmarit. Small, sharp, portable and easy to hand hold. I use it in preference to the elmarit M

Old 01-27-2020   #18
WJJ3

As a Summicron alternative, I second the Canon 100mm f2. I have had mine for a couple months and so far I am really impressed with it's performance. It is not a small lens, but for what it is the size weight and handling are great.

Flickr

Old 01-27-2020   #19
Tim Gray

I like the 90 Macro the most of my 3 90’s. The Konica Hexanon M is okay. Relatively affordable and small, not the sharpest lens I own. The pre-ASPH Summicron is a nice lens which you can get around $1k. Big, slow to focus, but nice and sharp stopped down and a bit soft wide open. Nice lens.

I’ve had the Macro twice. Once some years ago. I really enjoyed it then - perfect for traveling. Bought it again last year and glad I did. I only sold it originally because mine wasn’t 6 bit coded and it would have cost too much to code the lens and the adapter. It was cheaper to sell and buy the whole kit again later.

You can find the lens on KEH or Lensauthority for a decent price. More than a used Summarit or LTM lens sure, but pretty affordable for a Leica lens. I think I like the older version that works with the goggles more; I can use it with my film cameras and it’s cheaper.

Old 01-27-2020   #20
peterm1

Another vote for the Elmarit M. I own the chrome one circa 1960 and like it though its appearance is a little archaic. The later ones are even better performance wise. I also own a fat and a skinny Tele Elmarit. (Obsessive, agreed). The only real criticism is that both tend to flare if the sun is anywhere near the field of view though a deep hood helps. So I tend to discount this if I were you given would be swapping it for another lens which flares.
You can see from this that I too like the 90mm focal length.

Old 01-27-2020   #21
Bingley

You might look at the Canon 100/3.5, which is much smaller than the Canon 100/2 pictured above. Actually, it's tiny for a tele lens, but it's very good if you get a good sample.

My copy is quite sharp...

Cholla-Blooms by bingley0522, on Flickr

FS: Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-27-2020   #22
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
As a Summicron alternative, I second the Canon 100mm f2. I have had mine for a couple months and so far I am really impressed with it's performance. It is not a small lens, but for what it is the size weight and handling are great.

This is probably the lens I would like most right now.

Old 01-27-2020   #23
shawn

I have the Konica Hexanon 90mm and find it wonderful. Small and inexpensive too.

It is very sharp but you have to nail the focus to see that.

Full Size image here.

I tweaked the focus cam slightly in mine.

Shawn

Old 01-27-2020   #24
santino
eXpect me

90mm f4 M-Rokkor. Light, small and tack sharp.

Old 01-27-2020   #25
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I have the Konica Hexanon 90mm and find it wonderful. Small and inexpensive too.

It is very sharp but you have to nail the focus to see that.

Full Size image here.

I tweaked the focus cam slightly in mine.

Shawn
Making the Hexonon 90mm look very nice there. Agree about nailing focus, that is key at this FL.

I see a few people here recommending the TELE-ELMARIT. I was interested in that lens, either version; older fat version, or newer 4 element thin version, but couldn't find any examples of it being sharp at f2.8. Can anyone show some sharp photos taken with the TELE-ELMARIT wide open?

Flickr

Old 01-27-2020   #26
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
This is probably the lens I would like most right now.
Peter, this is a fun lens. I am still getting the hang of how to use it because it takes more care with focus and higher shutter speeds than i'm used to with my rangefinders...

Flickr

Old 01-27-2020   #27
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Four that had not occurred to me! 85 is fine with framelines, not so sure about the others, but a slightly tighter crop is not the end of the world. Thanks!
A tighter crop when using the 85 in place of the 90? The finder will be tighter than the image on film or sensor, if that's what you mean; but conversely you will get a bit more in the picture.

I like using the 85mm AF-Nikkor on my Nikons. I find it to be a good focal length, just like the 90 is a good focal length. So I could see using an 85 on the Leica. It's a tiny bit wider, and not infrequently, a tiny bit more useful! Perhaps Zeiss and Nikon are on the right track, offering an 85!

Old 01-27-2020   #28
teddy
Jose Morales

There are so many opinions here, and your question is quite broad. I would say, I would choose the Leitz Tele-Elmarit (Fat) version, the black Tele-Elmarit from the 80's, and that's it. The reason is, these are more affordable. If you go to Nikon or Canon designs, you will probably venture into Sonnar designs, which are a different rendering. More contrast, depth of field curvature is different - pleasing. The first Elmarit has medium contrast, but lower contrast wide open, so no. The latest Tele Elmarit is too expensive. High contrast, but expensive.

I like the Type 2 Summicron. It is great wide open for portraits. It's not a Sonnar type. Contrast is fine anything past 2.8. It's fine. Just heavy - and I get that.

Old 01-27-2020   #29
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
A tighter crop when using the 85 in place of the 90? The finder will be tighter than the image on film or sensor, if that's what you mean; but conversely you will get a bit more in the picture.
Brain fade on my part, but thank you for getting what I meant to say!

Old 01-27-2020   #30
CharlesDAMorgan

I have to say I didn't think it was as broad as it's turned out to be!

I love Sonnar designs, but maybe a much younger lens with good coatings will suit my purposes better.

I need the speed with film - especially as I regularly pull 400 to 250. So however good the f4 lenses are, it's one stop too slow.

Much to think about!

Old 01-27-2020   #31
peterm1

These two were shot with the (fat) Tele Elmarit (as far as my memory goes - and not very good records). One with a Leica M8 and one with a micro four thirds. In terms of bokeh, sharpness etc I find it perfectly adequate if not perfect as there is no such thing. BTW the second shot was taken on a Leica M8 presumably without an IR cut filter judging by the serious purples in the lady's coat.

Old 01-28-2020   #32
Richard G

I use the Macro Elmar a lot as collapsible and very sharp. But I love the Elmarit M and used it recently. The pictures from it have a 'bite'.

Old 01-28-2020   #33
valdas

This was shot with Elmarit-M on expired film and at slow speed. Flick does its tricks to resolution, but the original is very sharp in focusing point:

Old 01-28-2020   #34
shawn

Quote:
I have to say I didn't think it was as broad as it's turned out to be!

I love Sonnar designs, but maybe a much younger lens with good coatings will suit my purposes better.

I need the speed with film - especially as I regularly pull 400 to 250. So however good the f4 lenses are, it's one stop too slow.

Much to think about!
The Konica is a Sonnar design.

Shawn

Old 01-28-2020   #35
CharlesDAMorgan

Anybody got any black and white film images from the Elmarit M or Konica or Summarit? The Konica is cheaper meaningfully but the other two have their appeal too.

Old 01-28-2020   #36
valdas

Quote:
Anybody got any black and white film images from the Elmarit M or Konica or Summarit? The Konica is cheaper meaningfully but the other two have their appeal too.

I guess it's a bit too small (for any kind of judgment) if attached like this... Elmarit-M on tri-x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (46.8 KB, 194 views)

Old 01-28-2020   #37
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks Valdas - a bit small!

No Canons, Nikkors or Apo Lanthars to be found in the UK.

Prices - all upwards from here, rapidly in the case of the macro M!

Hexanon from £390 - 300g
Tele Elmarits £350 340g
Elmarit Ms £700 - 490g
Summarits £650 - 340g
Macro Elmar £1300 - 223g

Now to value my Summicron 90mm (600g) and make up my mind!

Or I could get an adapter for my 80mm Summilux R (700g) and spend my life with the camera pointing at the ground...

Old 01-28-2020   #38
Tim Gray

I have a few Konica images here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tgray1...hexanon90mmf28

Old 01-28-2020   #39
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks Tim - looks good to me!

Old 01-28-2020   #40
Tim Gray

Just for reference, here’s some Macro Elmar film shots:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tgray1...roelmar90mmf40