Summicron 50mm M
Old 01-30-2020   #1
raid
Dad Photographer

Summicron 50mm M

Which version would you buy?
Is the Rigid Summicron inferior to more modern versions?
Which is your favorite Summicron M 50mm ?

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-30-2020   #2
Doug

Objectively (heh heh) the APO 50mm is surely the "best". It's the one I choose.

Old 01-30-2020   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

It costs more than $2000.
This happens to be my budget now.

Old 01-30-2020   #4
Ccoppola82

I still love the rigid. It’s good enough for me that I don’t think a newer version would add much for me

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 01-30-2020   #5
raid
Dad Photographer

I line this comment! I feel pretty much the same way as my mist modern Leica 50mm lens is a rigid Summicron. I am curious if later versions really are much better somehow.

Old 01-30-2020   #6
Montag

My most modern version (v5) focuses closer (0.7m) than the 1m of my type 1 rigid. The colour representation is more accurate and vivid as well. I like both. All 50mm lenses are good, all the 50mm lenses is the best

Old 01-30-2020   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

For what? I went from Collaprible through all to type 4 formula (same as 5).
Collapsible was amazing on bw film, after it... just no name lenses. Well, type 3 is more less OK.
Starting from Rigid I was checking focus shift on M-E. Type 4 was worse, 3 is less, Rigid was the best. But Planar 50 ZM simply has none.
On digital Rigid was showing nice retro colors, but not too much of the retro and it was sharp.
Type 4 was best lens for color on M-E.
Type 3 is close to it.
I liked Rigid on C-41 and E6, it has very special sharp, but gentle rendering. Type 3 and 4 were also good. But less sharp.
Type 4 has crappy flare or vail.
I didn't CLA'd collapsible, it came cleaned from known good person. Rigid, type 3 and 4... I'm not impressed how they were made. Rigid is OK, but 3 and 4...

So, after using all of them, except APO and DR (same formula with Rigid), I would answer - collapsible for BW film, Rigid for color film and digital M.

PS. Here is thread on RFF, showing Clrons 50 focus shifts and vail is also known. So, it is not just me. Same for type 4 been sterile lens on BW film, but it is on rangefinder.ru

Old 01-30-2020   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

There is a v5 Summicron for sale. It is titanium finish.

Old 01-30-2020   #9
Brianmc86

I first bought a collapsible Summicron M and loved it. Then read that the Rigid & DR Summicrons are better, so I bought a DR Summicron and loved it too. And now I'm reading that the V4/V5 Summicron are even better than Rigid/DR Summicrons, so I guess I need to buy that too. The quest for the best continues...

Old 01-30-2020   #10
Brianmc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
My most modern version (v5) focuses closer (0.7m) than the 1m of my type 1 rigid. The colour representation is more accurate and vivid as well. I like both. All 50mm lenses are good, all the 50mm lenses is the best
I believe one benefit of a Rigid is the ability to unscrew the top portion of the lens and attach it to a close focusing mount to get focusing down to ~0.5m. I have one of the SOOKY-M's for my collapsible Summicron and I've always wondered if the V5 can also unscrew and work on the SOOKY-M

Old 01-30-2020   #11
raid
Dad Photographer

I may just get a made in China 50/1.2 replica. Maybe my old rigid Summicron is good enough.

Old 01-30-2020   #12
Beemermark

The current version is the sharpest, color correct, least distortion of any lens. The ASPH might be better but I have to believe you couldn't see it on film or my old M9.

Old 01-30-2020   #13
Ccoppola82

Just stick with the Rigid your images are always fantastic and the lens is damn sharp. I tested my copy against a few other 50s and I liked the overall package the best. They really nailed it with that lens.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 01-30-2020   #14
DwF

Raid,

I agree w ccoppola, you do really well with the Rigid. Maybe try the Zeiss 50 Sonnar
f1.5 or CV F1.5 Nokton. You will spend less, get a different look and shallower dof.

David

Old 01-30-2020   #15
Richard G

Who carries your gear? The rigid and the DR are heavier than a version 4 (black).

Old 01-30-2020   #16
santino
eXpect me

The current version (non ASPH) is superb. Even at f2 !
But: don‘t pay too much for a 50. The truth is there are no bad 50mm lenses nowadays. Just stick with your rigid Summicron.

Old 01-30-2020   #17
TenEleven

I agree with everything Kosta has said. The Rigid V1 would be my pick and is also the "budget" version out of the other rigid versions. Only the collapsible is cheaper here. It's a 50mm so close focus is not really that much of a concern for me.

I want to add, that the collapsible while it has an amazing tonality, also has slight barrel distortion in the corners. I also never felt fully at peace with the collapsing mechanism. (I have the same issue with Contax collapsible lenses .. mhmm) I ended up getting rid of mine and keeping my LTM Rigid Summicron 50.

Old 01-30-2020   #18
ZivcoPhoto

I have a type 4 which I find more flare resistant than the type 5 which I sold. I also like the tiger claw. I had an “M” collapsible and sold it keeping my LTM collapsible so I can use it on the Barnack Leicas I have. As was said, the collapsible is hard to beat for B&W, technically not perfect, but a top performer for what I like to see.

Old 01-30-2020   #19
Archiver

My only Summicron is the 50mm V5, before the APO. It's one of my favourite and most used lenses. The optical formula is the same as from decades ago, but it's great. Beautifully sharp wide open, decent bokeh, very nice size and handling. The bokeh can be a little busy sometimes, but overall it is a super lens. I'd love to try the APO, though.

Old 01-31-2020   #20
David Hughes
David Hughes

I think these threads should be banned. All they do is make people dis-satisfied. I don't take photo's and then print them at 24 by 36 and go over them with a micrometer, microscope or anything except my eyes.

If you look long enough and are egged on by the bystanders then you can find fault with anything. And once you get on that slippery slope all the fun goes out of life.

People seem to forget that 8 or 9 out of 10 is a good score.

Regards, David

Old 01-31-2020   #21
jmilkins
Digited User

Ah Raid - you make me laugh.

a certain someone did some legendary tests back in the day....

FWIW I would keep the rigid V1. I’m tempted to try a CV50 1.2 but you’ll also be on the preferred list for the replica 50 which will be very interesting if the 35 8 element is anything to go by.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 01-31-2020   #22
Erik van Straten

The collapsible has a very soft front glass, it is very difficult to get a good one. But when you do...

Against the collapsible is also the fact that it is always collapsed when you need the lens. When you finally get it pulled out, your subject is gone.

So for me the best is the Rigid v1. That is, when the fog has been removed by a very competent repairman.

I never tried the six element Rigid, the v3.

The v4 is sharp, but too contasty for b+w. I always get into trouble when I try to make a print from a v4 negative, so I sold my v4.

On b+w film the Rigid v1 is the best user in my opinion.

Erik.

M2, Rigid v1:

Old 01-31-2020   #23
CharlesDAMorgan

What version lens is the DR Summicron if someone could enlighten me, I'd be most grateful.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 01-31-2020   #24
raid
Dad Photographer

The DR is identical to the Rigid Summicron. It has close focus capabilities and there used to exist a rumor that “ the best glass Leica had”!was used on it.

Old 01-31-2020   #25
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks Raid - a follow up - is it based on the V1 that Erik mentioned?

I prefer it to my V3 Summicron, but much of that is the actual lens itself, which I think is wonderful over engineering at its most Germanic.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 01-31-2020   #26
raid
Dad Photographer

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am now quite convinced to keep using the Rigid Summicron. By the way, I have a DR and CV 50/1.1 and 1.5 and many other fine 50mm lenses . It is Leica 50mm lenses that are quite old in my case.

It is impressive that Leica managed to produce such excellent lenses over 50 years ago.

Old 01-31-2020   #27
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
What version lens is the DR Summicron if someone could enlighten me, I'd be most grateful.
Version I is the Collapsible.
Version II is the Rigid, and also the Dual Range, AKA the DRS.
Version III is the black one made from 1969 to 1979, number 11817.
Version IV has a different optical formula from the III. It has two plane surfaces (two glass lens elements are flat, or planar, on one side.). Erwin Puts complained that the use of flat surfaces means that the lens, although very good, is not as well corrected as it could have been. The use of plane surfaces reduces manufacturing costs.
Version V is the same as the IV, but with a built-in sunshade.

I had a IV but didn't like the short DOF scale on it. I use versions I, II, and III.

Old 01-31-2020   #28
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
I think these threads should be banned. All they do is make people dis-satisfied. I don't take photo's and then print them at 24 by 36 and go over them with a micrometer, microscope or anything except my eyes.

If you look long enough and are egged on by the bystanders then you can find fault with anything. And once you get on that slippery slope all the fun goes out of life.

People seem to forget that 8 or 9 out of 10 is a good score.

Regards, David
David,
Though I am prone to playing this game, I know at some level, it is just a game, so thanks for the useful reminder.

Freud called the impulse “ the narcissism of small differences” (German: der Narzissmus der kleinen Differenzen) : the thesis that communities with adjoining territories and close relationships (like photo gear communities!) are especially likely to engage in feuds and mutual ridicule because of hypersensitivity to details of differentiation.

When it comes to lenses, or cameras, the “differences” exist and people should buy what they desire, and the first reason that pops into their head is as good as any other, but “my (V1) pictures are not any good” won’t be helped by a V5. Or, vice versa. “Different” yes. “Better”, no.
Although we all know that, it’s worth remembering right before the credit card gets whipped out.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 01-31-2020   #29
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Leica 50mm f2 Version II Rigid is my all-time favorite 50mm lens. It has an elegant, classic german design, and solidly built. It is quite sharp @f/2.0. Very high resolution.

Kevin

FIFA World Cup Final. by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

NYC street photography by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

NYC street photography by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

Leica Leitz Summicron-M 50mm f/2.0 "Rigid" made in 1956 Germany by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man...

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 01-31-2020   #30
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilkins View Post
Ah Raid - you make me laugh.

a certain someone did some legendary tests back in the day....

FWIW I would keep the rigid V1. I’m tempted to try a CV50 1.2 but you’ll also be on the preferred list for the replica 50 which will be very interesting if the 35 8 element is anything to go by.
I dared to have a 50mm lens comparison between over 20 lenses. RFF members mailed me their precious (valuable!) lenses to Pensacola. Roland helped a lot with the side by side images . He pointed out how good the rigid Summicron performed.

It may have been 13 years ago.

Old 01-31-2020   #31
raid
Dad Photographer

Thanks for the posted images to Erik and Kevin ......

Old 01-31-2020   #32
robert blu
quiet photographer

Sorry, but I'm afraid to be a primitive user here...satisified with my 50 F2 but...no idea which version it is !

How can I indentify the version? I think from the serial number but than where can I look?

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-31-2020   #33
gnuyork

I forget which version I have, but it's the one with the collapsible hood. It's perfectly fine, great in fact, but sometimes I wonder if I would like the rigid better for a little more older character (if that makes sense?) There is one particular photographer on the Leica forum that uses the the rigid and I really like his results.

I'm kinda getting bored with pristine optics, especially in the digital world. I have fitted an old 50s/60s(?) Pentax Takumar lens on my Black Magic pocket 4K cinema cameras and the results are stunning for the character.

Old 01-31-2020   #34
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Sorry, but I'm afraid to be a primitive user here...satisified with my 50 F2 but...no idea which version it is !

How can I indentify the version? I think from the serial number but than where can I look?
This should be helpful, Robert:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/50...ison-table.htm

Old 01-31-2020   #35
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The Summicron 50mm f/2 lens is kind of Leica's signature normal lens to me. I've had four over the years ... At present, the one I have is a current series Summicron-M with six-bit coding that I bought second hand.

I can barely tell the difference between what it produces and what the '80s-'90s version of the same lens produced, or similarly what either of them produced vs my first collapsible from 1955. At least for most photos that I make, rather than resolution testing.

Wonderful lens, whichever one you go for. Not perfect but wonderful.

G

Old 01-31-2020   #36
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
A usually better source of information is the Leica Wiki hosted by the Leica Camera Forum:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...ra_Accessories

Old 01-31-2020   #37
robert blu
quiet photographer

Thanks Raid, from the photo it seems to be type 4...now I know it and I'm still satisfied :-)

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-31-2020   #38
raid
Dad Photographer

Type 4 is favored by many Summicron users as the "Bokeh King", I think. It seems (based on the postings in this thread) that all Summicron 50mm lenses are very good lenses overall. A V5 Cron sells for $2000-$2500 these days.

Old 01-31-2020   #39
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
A usually better source of information is the Leica Wiki hosted by the Leica Camera Forum:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...ra_Accessories
You are right. Thanks!
I see many details listed there. Many many .....

Old 01-31-2020   #40
DwF

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Type 4 is favored by many Summicron users as the "Bokeh King", I think. It seems (based on the postings in this thread) that all Summicron 50mm lenses are very good lenses overall. A V5 Cron sells for $2000-$2500 these days.
The "bokeh king" is v4 in 35mm FWIW

Regarding 50mm lenses, the one thing to point out is that v4 and 5 Summicrons share the same optical formula, and have shorter throw than v3 as I recall. The reason to get v4 over 5 might be if you don't love the built-in hood on the newer version and prefer to have a focus tab, the v4 has that and requires detachable hood. If you do want a newer Summicron for less than 5K, either of those would be a great choice! I recently traded my v5 away to upgrade and try Summilux ASPH, but have no doubt I will replace my Summicron when I am able.

David