Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Found a Yashica gsn in its box.
Old 05-15-2005   #1
Patrick

Found a Yashica gsn in its box.

I was at a local carboot sale on Saturday when i came across a yashica gsn in it box , the camera is great condition testing it tomorrow i hope it works.. check out the pics ive never had one before..

Old 05-15-2005   #2
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

that's a lucky find enjoy!

Old 05-15-2005   #3
Patrick

its the second Electro ive found the first one i had was an Electro CC that was a cool camera..

Old 05-15-2005   #4
RichardS

Since you said you previously had an Electro, you may know this site, but if you have any questions about the Electros, check http://www.yashica-guy.com/

Dick

Old 05-15-2005   #5
Little Prince

Now what is a carboot sale? I need to get to these things.

Old 05-15-2005   #6
Patrick

Carboot sales are a version of a market in the UK where people sell their old stuff kinda like a flea market im not sure what there called in other countries..

Old 05-16-2005   #7
Heath
Classic Camera Collector

Good find Patrick. I have a GSN too.

I litterally found my GSN in the trash. Looked ok except for a dent in the filter thread and no battery. I found YashicaGuys site and then found a battery for it. I was totally shocked when this thing powered up and took pretty good photos.

Heath

Collector and avid user of classic and vintage cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Zorki-4, Neoka 35 IVS, Mamiya 35S2, Voigtlander Vito CLR, Ricoh 500GX, Minolta A5, Ensign Commando MF Rangefinder. PLus an assortment of MF, Zone Focus and SLR cameras.

Old 05-16-2005   #8
Latecomer
Making up for lost time

I've had similar luck myself. I bought a box of rather dirty looking photographica for $10 at a garage sale. As I left the householder dumped a hard camera bag on top of the box. What's in that says I. Another camera says he. Sure enough, I arrived home to find a mint Electro 35 GT along with both of the accessory lenses , a table tripod and some other bits in the bag they were sold in. There was even the original receipt!

Old 05-16-2005   #9
Zorkiiglaza

"Boot and Bonnet" English for what Americans call the "trunk' and "hood" of a car.

thus the expression a "Boot Sale" weekend sales out-of the trunk of a car.- or other days of the week.
In the early 90's I was working in Greece and there were weekly sales in different cities- Sunday it was Athens, Wednesday it was Salonica, Saturday Ionnina.
At this time there were many "Russian Bazaars" where one could buy dozens of Soviet cameras. I even knew of 1 local man in Salonica who would send a young boy ahead to spot the tables or car trunks full of cameras, lenses and boxes of those illusive 40,5mm filters light-meters, and even film paper and enlargers.
This man's Russian and Greek were better than mine ( as well as his bargaining ability) and he bought alot of the "choice" items since the sellers often knew little of what they were selling.
Other non photographic items included camping equipment, pots and pans, inflatable boats, scuba gear and even bootleg Soviet Elvis albums.

I heard that another great Fleamarket was in Krakow.

Old 05-16-2005   #10
Patrick

Its amazing what you can find at these places i got my first Electro cc wide from a woman at carboot/trunk/bonnet sale i got a bag full of old cameras for a 1 pound and the Electro cc was in its case there was about other 10 cameras i sold most of them there and then , the Electro cc was a nice little camera the Electro only really cost me 10 pence. i keeped it and found the rangefinder forum eventually i sold my Electro cc for 70 to a guy in Taiwan on ebay..

Yay It Works
Old 05-17-2005   #11
Patrick

Yay It Works

My Yashica Gsn Works Hurray!!!!!

Old 05-17-2005   #12
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

Patrick, I'm sure it's not going to take any decent pictures at all.. I'll do you a favor and buy it off ya

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 05-17-2005   #13
Patrick

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Old 05-19-2005   #14
surlysimon

Patrick
i bought a GSN at a second hand dealers this week for AUS$29 with case but no battery i bodged a battery (greyhoundman is sending me a proper converter, he is a woderful person) and it works fine. the over-exposure light is iffy but it does work so i might take the top off and check the wire. mine is so clean it looks like it is almost unused. i have a GT and love it now i am looking forward to trying out the GSN.
the yashicas still seem very under rated compared to the canons IMHO.
simon

Old 05-19-2005   #15
jon_flanders

Be sure to give that Yashica a try for night shots. Here's one I took recently.

Handheld, in downtown Troy, no sharpening after scanning. Fuji HQ800