Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 06-04-2019   #2521
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This vacant storefront building is on Main Street (State Road 105) in the small town of Andrews, Indiana. A Coca-Cola sign and a "For Lease" sign hang in the front window.

It is one of several small storefront buildings on the town's Main Street.

Old 06-05-2019   #2522
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I made these photographs of the sky at dawn on the morning of May 21, 2019. I had been up all night working, and was getting ready to finally get some sleep when I noticed the beautiful color gradations in the clear sky over my house in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

These kind of abstract images made from the sky are a project that I have been working on for several years. You can see more of them here:

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/abstraction.php

Old 06-06-2019   #2523
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This storefront is on the north end of the Welker Block, a century old brick building on the southeast corner of Wells Street and Fourth Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

When I was young, this part of the building was a rough bar called the Happen Inn. After the bar closed, the furniture store next door, Linda Lou's, expanded into the former bar's space. Linda Lou's didn't change the facade, which retained the octagonal tavern windows from the Happen Inn.

Linda Lou's went out of business in October, 2017. In early 2019, the building was extensively renovated and the old tavern storefront was removed and replaced with large modern windows.

I made this photograph in 2018, before the renovations began.

Old 06-11-2019   #2524
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I made this abstract image of the sky at sunrise last Saturday morning.

I photographed it looking southwest from my home in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 06-20-2019   #2525
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This house with a giant American flag painted on the side is on Delaware Avenue, west of Crescent Avenue, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It is one of many large old houses in that part of Fort Wayne that have been subdivided into apartments.

The house's owner, Andy Ankenbruck, told me that he painted the flag when he was repainting the house in early 2019. This house is next to the blue house with a chair on the porch that I posted a photo of a couple weeks ago.

Old 06-22-2019   #2526
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Kermit's Bar and Grill is in a big old brick commercial building built in 1895 on Main Street (State Road 105) in the small town of Andrews, Indiana.

Old 07-05-2019   #2527
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Last night, my son and I went to see the Fourth of July fireworks in downtown Fort Wayne. The top of the Lincoln Tower, Indiana's oldest skyscraper, were illuminated in red, white, and blue light.

Old 07-09-2019   #2528
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This ragged-looking pine tree grows in my next-door neighbor's back yard.
I photographed it at dawn on the Fourth of July. The tree is to the west of my house, so the sun was rising behind me, which is why the sky has not yet brightened up.

Old 07-10-2019   #2529
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I just learned that Sam Hyde died yesterday. Sam was the owner of Hyde Brothers Books, an incredible used book store in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I've been buying books from Sam since I was young, and probably half of the 2000+ books that I own came from Hyde Brothers.

Sam was one of the kindest and most generous people I knew. When I was a young artist, struggling to make enough money to live, he often gave me books that he thought I would like. He also loved Cats, and always had one or two of them living in the store at all times.

This is so sad. I made this photograph of Sam behind his counter 12 years ago. Notice the ball of fur curled up in front of him!

You can see more of my photos of the store on my website:

Hyde Brothers Books

Old 07-10-2019   #2530
ChipMcD

Chris,

Sorry for your loss...and the loss of an independent bookstore owner who is a friend is a loss. I patronized a store in my small city for 30 years owned and operated by a couple who had started their careers as English teachers in high schools. They became friends of my wife and me. When they retired at 70 and closed the shop, it was a loss, even though they had active retirement plans and are having a ball. By the closing date they had survived many independent local stores and at least three chain competitors that came and went by having great taste, knowing their customers' individual book preferences and watching their inventory like hawks and clearing it out, if it wasn't moving. I hope that your store doesn't close.

Chip

Old 07-12-2019   #2531
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

There's a lone Yucca plant growing in one of my overgrown flower beds, and it is flowering. My grandparents planted it when I was a kid, back when this was their house.

Old 07-19-2019   #2532
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I photographed this beautiful sky Wednesday evening in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 07-23-2019   #2533
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Last week was the annual Three Rivers Festival in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I spent a few days there photographing, and will post the photos I made over the next few days.

This is a ride called Atmos-Fear. It drops riders seated on a platform down a steel tower. At night, strobe lights flash during the descent, giving a stop-motion, multi-exposure effect if photographed with a long exposure. I think this was around 1/8 of a second.

Old 07-23-2019   #2534
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Another photograph of the Atmos-Fear ride at the Three Rivers Festival. I used a shorter exposure with this one, to get fewer 'repetitions' of the strobe-light effect. I think this was about 1/15 of a second.

Old 07-24-2019   #2535
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This food vendor at the Three Rivers Festival has a sign in the window. "All I need today is a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus."

Old 07-25-2019   #2536
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Old 07-25-2019   #2537
Contarama

I wanted to comment when I read the post about Sam Hyde but I didn't. I think I will now. Chris I know you were/are quite fond of that bookstore (used book stores are huge for me...always have been) and Sam and the cats. I would like to ask you what do all those bookstore photos mean to you now?

Old 07-29-2019   #2538
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Kids rolling inside floating inflatable cylinders at the 2019 Three Rivers Festival at Headwaters Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

These are a type of Zorb Ball. Zorbs are inflatable balls that people can roll around inside, like a giant hamster ball.

Old 07-29-2019   #2539
rfaspen

I just have to say....I nearly cried to hear of an independent bookstore owner passing. I just can't express the level of loss I feel at such news...and yes I never met Sam or his store or his cats. But, all my life people such as Sam, and stores such as his, and cats in bookstores across the world have comforted me and met my needs for longer than I can remember..
I sincerely hope Sam had a protoege (sp?).
My condolences.
I just visited my local bookstore and ordered a book for my wife....a surprise gift ��

Old 08-05-2019   #2540
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

"Stephen and Mia's Midway Fun" is a balloon dart game at the 2019 Three Rivers Festival in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I photographed it at night on the festival's last day, after the crowds had begun to thin out.

Old 08-06-2019   #2541
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

When I first saw this woman, I thought that her shirt said: "Win Me." I thought that it was funny, so I photographed her.

When I got close enough to do so, I realized there was another word at the bottom of the shirt. It actually says: "Win Me Over."

I photographed her at the 2019 Three Rivers Festival at Headwaters Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 08-06-2019   #2542
ChipMcD

Chris,

The Three Rivers Festival series is very nice. Even though the operators of the show almost always come from out of town, these events have a hometown feel.

Chip

Old 08-09-2019   #2543
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipMcD View Post
Chris,

The Three Rivers Festival series is very nice. Even though the operators of the show almost always come from out of town, these events have a hometown feel.

Chip

I've always liked photographing carnivals. There's a kind of otherworldliness to the bright lights and fast rides and games all brightly lit at night, but the people attending are all locals.

Old 08-12-2019   #2544
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A basketball game at the carnival at the 2019 Three Rivers Festival at Headwaters Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 08-14-2019   #2545
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I made these four abstract photographs of the cloud formations in the sky above my neighborhood at sunset on the evening of July 10, 2019. I photographed them from my yard in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I was looking a different direction for the last one; the color of the sky changes a lot at sunset when you face different directions.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2546
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Scout is one of the two cats at Hyde Brothers Books in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I made this photograph of her a few days after the store's owner, Sam Hyde, passed away. Every time I have gone in the store since he died, she has been curled up on that spot on the floor. Scout is usually pretty active and likes interacting with the customers.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2547
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Sam Hyde, the owner of Hyde Brothers Books, passed away on July 9, 2019. He was 71 years old. His employees put up this little memorial to Sam on the store's front counter.

One of the photographs shows Sam as a young man back in the 1970s. The other shows Sam and his brother, Joel, who was the store's co-founder, in the store in its earlier days.

The sign on the box invites customers to write their happy memories of Sam, who was a friend to many of us in the community. He was one of the kindest, most generous people that I have ever known. When I was a young artist struggling to make enough money to live, Sam often gave me books that he thought I would like. He did the same for others, as well. There aren't many others like him, and he is missed.

His wife is keeping the store open.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2548
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is one of the two "Pop a balloon with a dart" games at the 2019 Three Rivers Festival last month in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2549
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

These kids were talking while they waited for the Flying Circus ride to begin at the 2019 Three Rivers Festival last month in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2550
GulfCoastPhotog

Have always admired your photos. When you got into the Olympus Pen F it finally pushed me over the edge to get one. Still trying to learn about the camera, due to health issues the last couple of years has been rough on my photography. Keep those photos coming.

David

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2551
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastPhotog View Post
Have always admired your photos. When you got into the Olympus Pen F it finally pushed me over the edge to get one. Still trying to learn about the camera, due to health issues the last couple of years has been rough on my photography. Keep those photos coming.

David

Thanks, David. Here's one I shot yesterday with the Pen-F:

This Honda automobile with the hood painted as the American flag was parked in one of the parking lots on the Purdue Fort Wayne campus in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

It was funny to see such a large patriotic display on an import car; though in truth many of the Japanese cars sold in the United States are now built in the US, while many American cars are built in Canada and Mexico.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2552
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I photographed these trees a few weeks ago on a very foggy morning in rural Allen County, Indiana.

The trees grow on the edge of a soybean field on the east side of Winchester Road, just north of Pleasant Center Road. It is the first of four photographs that i made here on that beautiful morning.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2553
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is an old one from way back in 1998. It was part of my art school graduation project! I'm posting it again now because I am redoing a lot of the old photos on my website. When I first built my website many years ago, screens were smaller and had fewer pixels. The photos I posted were sized to fit those screens, but the photos look tiny on modern screens, so I am putting up larger versions of my old work.

This is still one of my favorite photographs, though I made it 21 years ago. I still remember the day I made it, and cannot believe how fast the intervening years have gone by.

These chairs sat behind a farmhouse just outside Fort Wayne, Indiana. I photographed them in the evening near the end of the day's light.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2554
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is a basement window on an ivy-covered brick farmhouse on the eastern edge of Whitley County, Indiana.

I made this photograph 21 years ago!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2555
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This house was on Pleasant Center Road, west of Bluffton Road, in southwest Allen County, Indiana. The owner abandoned it and built a new house next door.

I thought the apple tree was beautiful. The abandoned house and the new house have both been demolished since I made this photograph back in 2001.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2556
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here is the second of the four photographs that I made on a very foggy morning at the beginning of August in rural Allen County, Indiana.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2557
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post

This is lovely picture. Well done!

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2558
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
This is lovely picture. Well done!

Thanks. That photo has been unexpectedly popular on social media, it got a ton of likes on my Facebook page. It does have a quiet beauty to it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2559
robert blu
quiet photographer

I like very much your two white chairs: excellent composition and great tones. There is a sense of relax in this photo

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2560
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here is another photograph that I made on the foggy morning last month in rural Allen County, Indiana. This is number three of four.