Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

How to protect body + 2 lenses while backpacking?
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
SSvindal

How to protect body + 2 lenses while backpacking?

Hello. I have a zeiss ikon (this forum is much more read, so if it makes it more easy on your eyes, a leica m7) plus a zeiss 35 2.8 c and a zeiss 25 2.8. How do you who backpack protect your gear? At first I was thinking of pelicase but they seem not quite to fit. either they are too deep and too wide, or not wide enough. Another option would be mini pelicase for the body only and hardcases for the lenses but then you would have to fiddle with three seperate items. Any suggestions?

With backpacking I mean bumpy bus rides etc which would dent the camera and lenses.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Huss

get an insert

https://www.carryology.com/utility/t...day-backpacks/

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
aizan

Look at the Tenba BYOB 7.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
B-9
Devin Bro

Topo Designs Camera Cube

https://topodesigns.com/collections/...13895090733109

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
FrozenInTime

You really want a second small bag e.g. mountainsmith tour or camelbak, to keep your camera gear, phone and passport on your person for security and readiness of use and away from hard knocks.
The main backpack can then be left less attended in the bus hold or hostel room etc.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Takkun
Ian M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
You really want a second small bag e.g. mountainsmith tour or camelbak, to keep your camera gear, phone and passport on your person for security and readiness of use and away from hard knocks.
The main backpack can then be left less attended in the bus hold or hostel room etc.
I felt like I was having deja vu recommending the BYOB again, but I saw your reply and re-read the original post. Didn't realize he meant backpacking = touring, not backcountry hiking.

I'd also second using a dedicated bag for this, too, something you can carry separate when the need arises. I haven't seen what Lowepro is doing lately, but they have some more adventure-ready bags, despite no longer being associated with Lowe Alpine.

I'd also take a look at peak design's Everyday Sling—I really love their modular attachment systems, a much more refined version of what Tamrac was doing years ago. Might be able to find a way to clip the bag to your pack when you don't want to carry two bags at the same time.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Shop around. I have case logic tiny case. Purchased in charity shop.
It fits rf kit, second lens and film. I use it to keep gear in backpack which is with me at trains, planes and automobiles.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
maddoc
... likes film.

+1 from my experience. Depending on how extreme conditions are going to be I would add some ziplock bags, silica gel packs and in worst case I leave I all my Leica gear at home and take the Nikonos V only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post

flickr
pBase

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
SSvindal

Cheers all! So the conclusions is that no hardcase is needed? I will look more closley into a small bag with insert such as TOPO design or artisan and artist ACAM-61N, depending on whatever is the easiest to get in Norway.

Any further suggestions for similar bag-like inserts (not backpacks). would be appreciated.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

The good old Domke F-5XB would work just fine for this.

OP-TECH neoprene pouches
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Tim Murphy

OP-TECH neoprene pouches

Dear Board,

They are inexpensive and available in sizes to fit just about any lens or camera. If you have something that doesn't fit they are also available in sheets with velcro tabs for wrapping things up. Their products are all well made and often available on their website at discounted prices. Everything photographic doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
jcb4718

This is a problem many of us have had, I'm sure. In my case I use a suitable old bags from ebay -ones that accept a waist band. I sewed two clips to the bottom of the rucksack to make a 'super rucksack' once the camera bag was clipped in place. If I wanted to take a picture I unclipped the bag (not the waistband) and slipped it round to my front. I liked this arrangement because I did not have to take off the rucksack to access the camera. Recently (see bag on the right) I have a shoulder strap and under the rucksack. In this case I simply undo the waistband and the bag swings round into place. I find it even more convenient. If necessary I can still clip it onto the bottom of the rucksack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backpack camera bags.jpg (122.0 KB, 12 views)

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
rangefinderlove123

That's an easy one...

sell everything and replace it with a Nikon, after that you just throw everything in a bag and it's sorted

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Peter Wijninga

Either with wraps + a regular backpack or buy a dedicated photo backpack. I have a ThinkThank and it is indestructible. Bit heavy and bulky...today, I'd go for the wraps. Cheers, Peter

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
rfaspen

OK, backpacking as in a romp around Europe during your gap year before college.

I wouldn't consider a hard case (Pelican). Likely overkill and its heavy and volume invariant. I've used an insert (mine by Mountainsmith) along with padding of various kinds and plastic bags and silica gel. Used that for actual wilderness backpacking as well as roaming around eastern Europe.

The plastic bags and silica gel must be used in concert, and I wouldn't consider them optional. You never intend to soak your pack in a rainstorm or "river incident" (don't ask), but.....

I tend to be over-cautious...other than the padding of the insert, I used additional padding around gear. You don't necessarily want to be carrying extra stuff (dedicated camera padding), so I used socks, underwear (clean), thin shirts,...you get the idea.

It should be obvious, but try to locate the camera centrally in the pack, or above the bottom. Dropping your pack on the ground is a natural habit. I'm not saying you'll throw it on the ground, but the standard "plop". Clearly don't want your gear right at the bottom, even with the insert/padding.

I think silica packs are important. If possible, recharge/replace them every so often. How often depends on how wet you get, weather, humidity, etc. Someone on this forum will know how long gel packs last. I think I tried to change or recharge every week or so. Have no idea if that was right. I just needed to address the mental image of fungus proliferating in the dark, damp, warm, stifling environment of my pack. My FE2, 35/2.8, and a zoom lens all made it just fine through a month or so of summertime roaming around Bulgaria and adjacent countries. It was hot and often humid, and I visited a lot of caves (one reason for my visit).

And then there's the way you treat your film while packing....

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
creenus

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOULDER-BR....c100005.m1851

Lined with something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Padded-DSLR...GA430cayc2Ru7w

This combo equals one small, nondescript, fully padded camera bag. Perfect for one body, two lenses, extra film, etc. If you don't want/need extra straps, just cut them off. And most of all it's ... CHEAP!

Last edited by creenus : 1 Week Ago at 10:20. Reason: to err is human, to edit divine