Plustek 7200 Windows 10 all over again...
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
olliewtf

Plustek 7200 Windows 10 all over again...

Recently acquired a plustek 7200, confident I was clever enough to get it to work with vuescan on windows 10.

I found a great blog post outlining all sorts of trickery. Downloaded the old driver from plustek, ran it in compatibility mode with the signature thingy (the thing where it stops listening to what OS is running) so it would install, did the same with the demo version of Silverfast, and got the scanner to do its first scan in silverfast without a hitch (edit: after hours of working the above out!)

So todays mission was to get it to work with vuescan. I had failed in this endeavour, so proceeded to download the 32 bit version (demo) as I heard this was necessary to work with old drivers.

No luck.

I booted silverfast again to confirm all was well, and now that wont recognise the scanner either. Windows doesnt recoginse the scanner anymore, but i can see that the plustek driver is installed still. No idea what's happened overnight but Im out of options, other than a reboot, and trying the above all over again.

To confirm, I am booting each program with the scanner plugged in and switched on.

The reason for silverfast was as follows: I had read that not only is there all the complications around compatibility and signature bollocks, but vuescan will only pick up the scanner if it has been recognised by silverfast first.

Dont ask me to test any of that logic as im a little in over my head.

Any solutions very gratefully received!

thanks!

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
mpaniagua

umm probably Vuescan relies on some configuration file from Silverfast? I use a Plustek 8100i with Silverfast for my 35mm negatives and once use it with Vuescan but go back to Silverfast since somehow I preferred the results I get on Silverfast.

Probably try to remove everything (Plustek drivers, Vuescan and Silverfast). Once Silvesfast wasn't recognizing the scanner so removed drivers and Silverfast. Installed again and then it started working again.

Try removing the scanner drivers using Device Manager.

Marcelo

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
olliewtf

Thanks Marcelo

Im curious as to whether silverfast is necessary to get vuescan to recognise the scanner. Ive read as much; just not sure if i need to delete silverfast before booting vuescan?

Either way Ill try the whole thing over again; my feeling is that if i can repeat the process and get it to boot in silverfast, I then need to boot vuescan and if that works it hopefully will be fine. But Im just guessing here!

any more thoughts welcomed!