Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Off center. Who cares or?
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
bert26

Off center. Who cares or?

Hi, had a v4 35 cron fixed by Don G since the shop by my house blew it 3 times (last time they didn’t tighten everything properly). The depth of field scale is a little misaligned and the hood is sitting a little off center but since Don did it this was probably intentional? Is anyone else’s like this? Kinda hard to tell in the pictures that the hood is off but it is. Wondering if I should even give a ****.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147456...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147456...eposted-public

I cannot for the life of me attach images via Flickr right now for some reason.

Last edited by bert26 : 1 Week Ago at 19:48. Reason: Mistake

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
bayernfan

Perhaps the lens was damaged or someone messed something up with a previous CLA. I'm surprised Don didn't give any notes with the repair, did you read over the receipt? Or perhaps repairing it just drove him nuts

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
bert26

I hate everything

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert26 View Post
Hi, had a v4 35 cron fixed by Don G since the shop by my house blew it 3 times (last time they didn’t tighten everything properly). The depth of field scale is a little misaligned and the hood is sitting a little off center but since Don did it this was probably intentional? Is anyone else’s like this? Kinda hard to tell in the pictures that the hood is off but it is. Wondering if I should even give a ****.

I cannot for the life of me attach images via Flickr right now for some reason.
It would not be intentional. I had the same lens and the hood should definitively mount dead square and centred and the DOF scale should align correctly with index marks. The problem suggests to me that the lens may not be focusing correctly - Have you checked the focus point on your camera body by taking images?
No matter how good a technician errors get made. The proof of their reputation is in how willingly they volunteer to fix the problem without argument. And frankly if it were mine I doubt I would find it easy to live with - I would want it sorted even if it were only cosmetic - this lens is presently a $2000 lens in the 2nd hand market and you do not expect anything less than perfect for such lenses especially given its maker.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Fjäll

The whole front of the 35mm V4 is held on by a couple of small screws on the sides. Loosen these, adjust accordingly and tighten them again.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
bert26

He said everything was perfect after he finished the repair. I’ve been without a setup for the better part of a year because my luck is seriously terrible. I’ve shot 7 rolls since getting it back but haven’t processed any of the film. I emailed him asking to have it adjusted. I’m a year into not having a setup. Sold my v3 this time last year cos I found an insane deal on a v4. Bought the v4, DHL held it for a month, when I finally got the lens it was destroyed. Refunded 2 months later. Then this lens arrived with the depth of field scale off as much as it possibly could be, the shop in Portland took 4 tries to fix it and the last time they left everything loose, now this. Also was without my body for 2 months because the pressure plate needed to be replaced and the fog in my VF was driving me nuts. Honestly wondering if I should just throw in the towel. Been behind a lens most my life but maybe this is a sign to just say **** it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
B-9
Devin Bro

Sounds like you should cut and run.

Skip the Leica next time.

There are other cameras and lenses out there that will not cost thousands of dollars, endless months, and multiple trips to a repairman to work.

Always a few lemons floating around.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Steve M.

I agree, at some point you let it go and move on. You could sell that lens for a pretty penny and buy another 35 and start taking photos.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
bert26

Definitely keeping the m6 and since the repair is under warranty, if it isn’t right next time I’ll sell it for another v3. This setup I have is just so perfect for what I do. Fingers crossed. Also I think I may have gotten fired last night from 700 miles away (on vacation.)

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
B-9
Devin Bro

I would honestly grab one of those cheap 7Artisan 35/2.0 and look at unloading the V4.

Shoot away while you wait for a good deal on that V3.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
jsrockit

Grab the new Voigtlander 35mm f2... photography is way more important than supposed magical lens attributes.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
bert26

Got an email back and he said it’s purely a cosmetic issue (and common) and will gladly adjust it and send it right back. But that only should happen if mounting and dismounting using the hood which I know not to do. In fact I’m a one lens kinda guy so once it’s on it stays on and the hood never comes off. Gonna give this one more shot (no pun intended) since I’ve gone through hell and back over this. One more issue and it’s back to a v3. I really really like the protruded aperture ring that the v3 lacks, the smaller size, and the square lens hood. That may sound dumb but that stuff matters to me. Wish me luck. Also wish me luck on finding more shifts somewhere before selling all my other ****

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
rfaspen

All I can say is that Don is a "stand up guy". And his work is indeed his reputation -- Excellent. Has always made things right for me.

That shop in Portland (OR?) will not be named, but I have had things returned as complete doorstops that were fully functional when they went in. They are not Leica techs, regardless of what someone tells you (or they say). I'm not trying to tarnish their reputation (much), but I would not recommend them for any Leica service. I think they might be fine for recent Canikon DSLRs.

Hope you didn't get fired

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
bert26

He did a fantastic job on my m6 and I definitely trust him to get this back to me within a week. And yeah the shop here in town sucks (we’re talking about the same one). I ended up laying into them and getting a refund.