Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Lens separation , oil contamination or other problem?
Old 02-21-2008   #1
Keith Cocker

Lens separation , oil contamination or other problem?

Hi,

I have been offered a Rolleiflex T and have had a chance to inspect it. As you can see from the attachment there is a ring of shading around the outside of the lens. (Corresponding roughly to where the aperture blades would be stopped down to f4.5 - 5.6) It is on the Film side of the shutter. (but not on the rear element)

I've put a film through the camera and the pictures are fine.

Is this separation of the cemented element (its a Tessar lens) or something else? Is it fixable (I am in the UK) and would it be expensive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M8-Digital-Camera_L1005768_20_Feb_08.jpg (55.5 KB, 73 views)

Old 02-21-2008   #2
Wayno

That certainly looks like separation of the Tessar's cemented doublet. As you've found, the lens will perform OK as is, but obviously not to its full potential.

Old 02-21-2008   #3
sleepyhead

I think that if the pictures are fine, if the camera is otherwise in good usable condition, and IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT, then I would go for it.

I use a Rolleiflex 2.8E that has a bit of separation in the lens (I believe) and the images from it are just absolutely wonderful anyway:

Old 02-22-2008   #4
Keith Cocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead
I think that if the pictures are fine, if the camera is otherwise in good usable condition, and IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT, then I would go for it.

I use a Rolleiflex 2.8E that has a bit of separation in the lens (I believe) and the images from it are just absolutely wonderful anyway:

Yaron, Thanks for your advice. that is a wonderful picture of your dog!!

Old 02-21-2008   #5
VictorM.

That's separation. It's extensive enough to affect the picture quality, especially at wider apertures, (testing will only be valid if you have a perfect sample to compare it to-especially if you are unfamiliar with MF results). The camera is probably not worth buying because there's lots of good Rolleiflexes around (they made millions). Try to buy the best example you can afford, even if it needs a CLA.

Here's my Planar 3.5 with separation: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...9&d=1165365488

It works well, but the value of the camera is dramatically lower than it could be (except to me).

Last edited by VictorM. : 02-21-2008 at 10:44.

Old 02-21-2008   #6
Keith Cocker

Thank you all for your helpful comments. The camera is going back to its current owner and I will look for another one.

Best wishes

Old 02-21-2008   #7
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

Lenses can be re-cemented, or, sometimes just heated to let the cement reflow. If I wanted to try that, I still wouldn't pay much for the camera as significant work is involved and you don't know if you'll be successfal.
Check out:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...6900/4247.html
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...6901/3747.html
Just FYI.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 02-24-2008   #8
rolleistef

I've got the same pb on my urrent T and though it doesn't as wonderfully as on the previous one, it still works very very very well enough to make "wow" pictures all the time (except on the last roll where many pics are blurred... not happy!! )

RFF EuroMeet 2010-Florence !!!