Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Choices for New leather Skin for Rolleiflex TLR
Old 04-22-2014   #1
Evanjoe610

Choices for New leather Skin for Rolleiflex TLR

I recently purchased a new addition to my medium format camera, a Rolleiflex 3.5E2 Type 1. The lens was listed as being useable but with slight scratches. Upon receiving the camera the taking lens cleaned up nicely and I did not observe any scratches.

No lens hood, no lens cap, and the overall condition of the original leather is in fair condition. Would it be better to re-condition the existing leather or simply bite the bullet and re-leather the entire camera?

I saw several weeks ago on this forum about two companies that offers the leather skin as a kit, with several remarks regarding Pros and COns. I know one of the company is CameraLeather.com. The other one I do not remember their name or website. Can anyone give me their experience with both company?

As for lenshood, did this camera used a unique lens hood and lens cap? I have a Bay II lens cap, but discover it was a tad too long. In fear, I do not want top order the wrong items, so what exactly should I be looking for in both the lens hood and lens cap?

Thanks in advance,

Evan

Old 04-22-2014   #2
NY_Dan

If the leather is worn, reconditioning won't help. The black beauty leather made to match the Rolleiflex at cameraleather.com would be my choice. As for the hood, a Rolleiflex folding lens cap, and Bay II hood should be the correct items. If your caps don't fold, then they're for a different model.

I never use my caps, but always use the hood and often use a yellow filter. And always use the special original Rolleiflex alligator clips mounted to a new piece of 31 inch leather. Never use the leather case -- it's pretty but who wants to remove it every 12 shots?

I like the small and light LowePro cheap cases to hold the camera.

Old 04-22-2014   #3
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

My 3.5 Rollei uses Bay I accessories. I have a lens cap and always put it on when I put the camera in the bag. I always use a hood on all my cameras to reduce the chance of flare/reflections, and for protection. The hood bayonets on the outside of the lens and filters bayonet on the inside of the lens rim.
My Rollei is an early model. It has a Schneider lens and the viewing lens isn't coated, although the taking lens is. Later models may not always use Bay I accessories I suppose, but I though the 2.8 models used Bay II.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 04-22-2014   #4
mfogiel

Don't worry about the leather, but get a lens cap, and above all get the metal lens hood both for protection and for flare reduction. If you want to spend money on this camera, rather check if it needs a cla and a brighter screen.

Old 04-22-2014   #5
shortstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Don't worry about the leather, but get a lens cap, and above all get the metal lens hood both for protection and for flare reduction. If you want to spend money on this camera, rather check if it needs a cla and a brighter screen.
I agree. I mounted a maxwell screen with microprism and split image and I am fine, especially in indoor shots. I'm curious to see the leather of your Rollei. post a picture?

Old 04-22-2014   #6
Evanjoe610

Thank you for the suggestions from all. My Rolleiflex 3.5E2 Type 1 has a Schneider-Kreunzach Xenotar. It has the original grid focusing screen. I will rpelace the screen as it t was sxcratched up. I have several New Old Stock Rolleiflex drop in screens that i plan to use in it. I find that I prefer the ability to snap in focus with the contrast that I gain form these screens. One has a large magnifying center, while the other has a grid with split image.

If I had to judge based on Keh's Grading level, I would say the camera is an overall 6.5 - 7. The transport feels a tad gritty, the self timer is working, and the shutter speed from 1/60 up to 1/500 works good. Its at the lower range from 1 to 1/30 second that sometimes hangs up.

I received a lenscap as being a Bay II, but it appears to be a tight too long in fitting at the taking lens. Either I settle for the hard plastic hinged 3.5E lens cap or find an older original metal lens cap.

I read somewhere that there were two versions of the lens hood for the 3.5 E2 or E3. I think it had an extra notch cut in the rim. It is definitely a Bay II system, as I tried several Bay II filters I had.

As for straps, I plan to search out the original leather strap with the scissor clip ends.

No case, just a Domke lens wrap to protect it. I found a discounted LowePro black bag that fits the Rolleiflex TLRs perfectly.

I try to take several photos and post it sometime this week. As for a good repairman, I will review the choices I read on one of the other threads.

Thank you for all the suggestions and I will get it CLA asap.

Evan

Old 04-23-2014   #7
Evanjoe610

Hi Folks,

What is the requirement to post jpegs on this forum? I taken some photos of my camera and would like to post some of them.

Old 04-23-2014   #8
Dan Daniel

If you find an original strap, be very careful about the condition of the leather. It can break and your camera drops to the sidewalk or other such place. My first Rolleicord ended life from such a thing. Best to get the clips and get a new strap made by a saddle shop or shoe repair shop.

Use the camera a bit before running off for a CLA. Let things settle now that it is being used again.

At the top of the composing window, there is a tacky landscape icon at the right side. Click on it and a window comes up for pasting in the link to a jpg image on the web. It needs to be a link to the direct image file, ending in jpg, not, say, Flickr's usual mumbo jumbo. Use the preview button while you test things out.

Old 04-23-2014   #9
cidereye
Film Freak

As regards straps try these guys on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Widepan-Re...item233629e150

They also sell the correct lens cap for the E/F too, clone of the original plus a very nice replica Bay 2 hood.

Totally agree with Dan about the CLA too, don't just get it done because. Use the camera first for a while. Mind I do tend to laugh inwardly almost every time I see those three letters, if it ain't broke then don't fix it! Chances are there's nothing wrong with it that even needs fixing.

Checkout the slow speeds on the camera, are they too slow & sticky? Give the camera a good workout running through the speeds. If nothing improves then it is worth checking out a service, but even then you might not even use the slower speeds and not be too bothered about that anyways.

Old 04-24-2014   #10
Evanjoe610

I appreciate the advice I receive so far and I do hope that my flickr acct is working. I have attached a hyperlink below for my Rolleiflex 3.5 E2.
Sound advice regarding the strap, I will definitely take that into consideration.
I see what I can dig up first, in the meantime I will continue to "exercise" the windcrank.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 04-24-2014   #11
shortstop

May be would be more expensive change the leather than findining another rollei with good leather. I'd keep this one without removing the original leather. Straps are necessary

Old 04-24-2014   #12
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop View Post
May be would be more expensive change the leather than findining another rollei with good leather. I'd keep this one without removing the original leather. Straps are necessary
I'm not sure where you find your Rolleiflexes, but if what you say is true where you are, please pick up a half dozen for me!

I can't imagine replacement leather and installation costing more than$125-150?

Old 04-24-2014   #13
shortstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
I'm not sure where you find your Rolleiflexes, but if what you say is true where you are, please pick up a half dozen for me! I can't imagine replacement leather and installation costing more than$125-150?
http://www.newoldcamera.com/Scheda.aspx?Codice=14U0515

It's a famous shop in Milan

Old 04-24-2014   #14
Evanjoe610

I know of Cameraleather.com. They have the standard leather replacement kit for $59 basic kit.
There is the Japanese dealer who sells on eBay. for $42 basic kit.
http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/html/...x35F/index.php

I would prefer any new Rollei original stock if possible, but at this point, I will want to shot a roll through it... before I commit to any additional purchases.