Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

I just have to vent at Leica... or myself...
Old 05-03-2014   #1
hepcat
Former PH, USN

I just have to vent at Leica... or myself...

Ok, so I've said many times I've shot Leica M rangefinders off and on for forty years... I don't have to look at an M body to do anything... it's all muscle memory by now...

So, EVERY time I take the baseplate off my M8 or M9P, I try to put it on the wrong way... I put the plate on with the latch on the wrong side of the camera. It's not a big deal of course, but it's exasperating to do it EVERY time. And I NEVER do that with my M4-P. Hmmm... So.. I've had the digi Ms now for a year and a half... and I'm down working in my studio... doing a battery reset; a drain and recharge on my digi M batteries. And I tried to put the M8 baseplate on backwards... again.

So, it finally occurs to me that there must be a reason that I'm doing that... and I pull my M4-P out of the bag... and voila... the digi-M baseplate IS BACKWARDS!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Ok, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed... I just had to share this. LMAO!!!

release latch location by chief1120, on Flickr

Find me on the web...

Old 05-03-2014   #2
MCTuomey

Great post - and I'm there too!

My Flickr

Old 05-03-2014   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored

That's funny, Roger. :-)

G

Old 05-03-2014   #4
Richard G

My God, that must explain it. I'm doing it all the time still and I've only had two rolls of film through a film M this year. More than two years with the M9. So much for the benefits of muscle memory.

Old 05-03-2014   #5
burancap

This is great! I never noticed!

Old 05-03-2014   #6
mothertrucker

Guess you better switch to an M5!

Old 05-03-2014   #7
icebear

But you haven't tried to load Tri-X in your M9, have you ?

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 05-03-2014   #8
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
That'd be OK. Checking for a memory card in the M2 would be a bit of a let down.

Old 05-03-2014   #9
angelog
formerly agianelo

I remember reading Roger's review where he remarked about this and the wrong way shutter dial. How dare they! At least Epson retained the film crank lever.

Old 05-03-2014   #10
Ronald M

I still have trouble occasionally. It is like trying to eat left handed.

Old 05-03-2014   #11
cosmonaut

Funny Roger. I guess it's like that one M that has the backward shutter dial?

Old 05-03-2014   #12
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Thanks, everyone. I just had to share my "duh" moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
My God, that must explain it. I'm doing it all the time still and I've only had two rolls of film through a film M this year. More than two years with the M9. So much for the benefits of muscle memory.
Thank you Richard, you saved my sanity. I had feared I was the ONLY one with this malady!!! <grin>

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
I just nearly pulled the bottom off my loaded (with a half-shot roll) M4-P to pull the battery out and charge it... *sigh* It's now safely back in the bag so I don't do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
I still have trouble occasionally. It is like trying to eat left handed.
EXACTLY!!! That's it EXACTLY! Great analogy! <grin>

And somehow, I STILL feel foolish admitting this...

Find me on the web...

Old 05-03-2014   #13
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
Thanks, everyone. I just had to share my "duh" moment...
:-)

'Tis all right. I pulled out the Hasselblad the other day and went nuts trying to remember why the shutter would not release. Oh yeah, pull out the dark slide. Doh!

G

Old 05-03-2014   #14
robbeiflex

Seriously? That explains that weird sensation of "something is not right" when I load the battery and memory card in my ME. Here I thought it was something to do with the media, but as they say in the real estate business it's "location, location, location".

Thanks,
Rob
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 05-03-2014   #15
Kwesi

Quote:
...So, it finally occurs to me that there must be a reason that I'm doing that... and I pull my M4-P out of the bag... and voila... the digi-M baseplate IS BACKWARDS!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Ok, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed... I just had to share this. LMAO!!!

release latch location by chief1120, on Flickr
Very funny! You got me thinking though, so I pulled out my M7 and M9 and there actually is a very Leica logic to it. It's not backwards at all! In each case the latch goes over the "film" container.

Digital baseplate
Old 05-03-2014   #16
dblrifle

Digital baseplate

You mean for all these years you have been using Leicas and just this moment realize they have been putting the baseplates on incorrectly for all those years. I started using a Leica in 1956 and have used them constantly ever since and when I got my M8's a couple of years ago the very first thing I said was 'well they finally got the baseplates on the right way'. For some reason I seem to be gifted to adapt to different ways of doing things. For example I rarely search for the dimmer switch on the floorboard of my car. I have a Hyundai Veloster Turbo and the transmission shift lever is far different from any I have ever used but for some reason I seem to have adapted to it. Can't say I have the hang of paddle shifters as yet though. The gas fill is on the proper side though (the drivers) and not the other side as my Dodge has.This actually causes me to have to pay attention when I am pulling in to the pump to fill up. As I say I suppose I'm just gifted.

Old 05-03-2014   #17
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrifle View Post
You mean for all these years you have been using Leicas and just this moment realize they have been putting the baseplates on incorrectly for all those years. I started using a Leica in 1956 and have used them constantly ever since and when I got my M8's a couple of years ago the very first thing I said was 'well they finally got the baseplates on the right way'.
Really? Yeah... as I said, it' s a "duh" moment. <grin>

So, you're saying that ALL of the film Leicas are backwards, and they're just now fixing it with the digitals? What brand did it "right" first?

Find me on the web...

Old 05-03-2014   #18
Pioneer

That's it...I have had it with this!

Back to the Leica II!

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 05-03-2014   #19
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
:-)

'Tis all right. I pulled out the Hasselblad the other day and went nuts trying to remember why the shutter would not release. Oh yeah, pull out the dark slide. Doh!

G
Yes, Godfrey, I've never done that... too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbeiflex View Post
Seriously? That explains that weird sensation of "something is not right" when I load the battery and memory card in my ME. Here I thought it was something to do with the media, but as they say in the real estate business it's "location, location, location".

Thanks,
Rob
Rob, I'm SO glad there's others out there like me... thanks for sharing! Ha ha ha!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwesi View Post

Very funny! You got me thinking though, so I pulled out my M7 and M9 and there actually is a very Leica logic to it. It's not backwards at all! In each case the latch goes over the "film" container.
Hey, that makes as much sense as any other part of this!

Find me on the web...

Old 05-03-2014   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The reason the baseplate latch was under the film canister on the film cameras what that, once up a time, it opened the film canister's light seal when you turned it. It was neither the wrong nor right place for the latch, it was simply where it had to be.

Personally, I had not noticed that it had switched to the other size on the M9. I just look for the catch tab on one edge to align it and lock it in place once it's seated. Rather blind of me, eh?

G

Old 05-03-2014   #21
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I never got the hang of those digital baseplates. Over the course of two years, first with an M8 then an M9.

Now I shoot a Nikon digital with all AiS lenses and those things focus backwards as far as I'm concerned but the SLR has such a difference of operation that I seem to get it right somehow.

At least my Mamiya 6 focuses the proper way, like the Leica M4 and DR Summicron do.

Phil Forrest

Old 05-03-2014   #22
peterm1

I do the same (ie tend to put it on the wrong way) but had not noticed that the base-plate is reversed by comparison with older models. I presume it must be for technical reasons. But even if there is a good technical reason Leica does tend to be quirky at times in how it chooses to do things........... and they always have had a reputation for doing slightly strange things. For example my old M3 has flash sync ports that are non standard - requiring that an adapter be used to be able to use any standard flash made in the past 60 years. That sort of thing. It can be galling at times. With the digital Ms what gets me is that unlike every other camera maker instead of using standard ISO settings (100,200,400 etc) it uses different ones (160, 320,640 etc) for what I can only say is for no good reason that I can conceive of. Good old Leica!

Old 05-03-2014   #23
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I've never had a film M, but I had the same thing with both my digitals. It's just un-natural.

Old 05-03-2014   #24
rscheffler

Interesting observation. I've only shot digital Ms and would prefer to have the release latch at the same end as the film Ms... it seems to me like a more natural location for it.

Perhaps Leica reversed it so that when shooting film and digital Ms side by side, one doesn't accidentally pop open the baseplate of a film M when one meant to actually do it to the digital body...?

Old 05-03-2014   #25
Takkun
Ian M.

It's a conspiracy I tell you, to sell more grips! You know, to the five people that actually buy them.

Never noticed this, since I have an M5. Moved the latch to the other side for the ratcheted rewind crank, which was moved for....some unknown reason with the embiggening of that camera.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 05-04-2014   #26
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I do the same (ie tend to put it on the wrong way) but had not noticed that the base-plate is reversed by comparison with older models. I presume it must be for technical reasons. But even if there is a good technical reason Leica does tend to be quirky at times in how it chooses to do things........... and they always have had a reputation for doing slightly strange things. For example my old M3 has flash sync ports that are non standard - requiring that an adapter be used to be able to use any standard flash made in the past 60 years. That sort of thing. It can be galling at times. With the digital Ms what gets me is that unlike every other camera maker instead of using standard ISO settings (100,200,400 etc) it uses different ones (160, 320,640 etc) for what I can only say is for no good reason that I can conceive of. Good old Leica!
Peter, the M3 pre-dates the "standard" sync terminal, and the flash sync terminals on the M2 & M3 are actually a more solid setup than the "standard" PC sync terminals. Leica had hoped to set an industry standard with their version, but it wasn't to be so.

As far as the non-standard ISO numbers, once again the Leica system pre-dates the current standards... in the early film days, Kodachrome was rated at ASA 12, Kodacolor was rated at ASA 80, High Speed Ektachrome at 160, and Tri-X at 320.

There weren't any "standard" shutter speeds until the late '50s either. Early M3s have the early shutter speed designations, but that even varied by manufacturer.

Find me on the web...

Old 05-04-2014   #27
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
The reason the baseplate latch was under the film canister on the film cameras what that, once up a time, it opened the film canister's light seal when you turned it. It was neither the wrong nor right place for the latch, it was simply where it had to be.

Personally, I had not noticed that it had switched to the other size on the M9. I just look for the catch tab on one edge to align it and lock it in place once it's seated. Rather blind of me, eh?

G
That makes sense, but... the catch is under the take-up spool on the film bodies... even the Barnacks?

Find me on the web...

Old 05-04-2014   #28
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
It's a conspiracy I tell you, to sell more grips! You know, to the five people that actually buy them.

Never noticed this, since I have an M5. Moved the latch to the other side for the ratcheted rewind crank, which was moved for....some unknown reason with the embiggening of that camera.
And that may be exactly why they moved it... so the grips would fasten more solidly... for those five people.

Find me on the web...

Old 05-04-2014   #29
Scrambler

Quote:

Peter, the M3 pre-dates the "standard" sync terminal, and the flash sync terminals on the M2 & M3 are actually a more solid setup than the "standard" PC sync terminals. Leica had hoped to set an industry standard with their version, but it wasn't to be so.
While I am sure the second part is right, the Synchro-Compur shutter and its PC connector were out a few years before the M3.

Doesn't the IIIf use a PC connector? Or so I've read on RFF so it must be true :-)

Old 05-04-2014   #30
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
While I am sure the second part is right, the Synchro-Compur shutter and its PC connector were out a few years before the M3.

Doesn't the IIIf use a PC connector? Or so I've read on RFF so it must be true :-)
Yep. You're right! The IIIf AND the IIIg use the standard PC connector. Go figure...

Find me on the web...

Old 05-04-2014   #31
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
That makes sense, but... the catch is under the take-up spool on the film bodies... even the Barnacks?
It's certainly under the film canister, where I would expect it, on my M4-2. I can't believe that my M4-2 is different from all other Leica Ms. And my IIf, IIc, and IIIf all had it in the same location.

G

Old 05-04-2014   #32
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
It's certainly under the film canister, where I would expect it, on my M4-2. I can't believe that my M4-2 is different from all other Leica Ms. And my IIf, IIc, and IIIf all had it in the same location.

G
Duh... of course it is. It's early and I'm working on my first cup of coffee. I think in my morning fog I was trying to picture it in my head, and what I came up with was that the rapid-load spool guide on the M2 was attached to the latch (instead of the post)... so of COURSE, the latch would have been under the take-up spool... and of course it wasn't... and isn't... duh... (except on the digi-Ms that don't HAVE a cassette OR take up spool) and of course it was waaaaay to much work to actually get out of my chair and pick up my camera and actually look at it... so I just sat in my morning stupor and confusion and posted. THAT oughta' learn me!

thanks Godfrey.

more coffee needed!!!

Find me on the web...

Old 05-04-2014   #33
jsrockit

I never noticed this either and did the same thing. Funny.

Old 05-04-2014   #34
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post

I have an M5 and never had a problem with its baseplate. While the latch is the other side, is the lug on the body that engages the baseplate also 'wrong'? I'm not at home to check. I was using that concurrently with M6 and M2 and M9 and never seemed to have a problem. Perhaps the different shape allowed its uniqueness to settle in the brain immediately.

Old 05-04-2014   #35
hepcat
Former PH, USN

In all the years I've shot Leica, I've never held an M5 Richard, but the lug is on the "wrong" side on the M8/M9, and I presume it would necessarily be on the opposite side of the catch on the M5 as well.

Find me on the web...

Old 05-11-2014   #36
Steve_F

I'm waiting for the day my M6TTL battery dies and I inadvertently remove the base plate to change it, instead of the front cover. - whilst there's film in it.
That doesn't matter on my M9 of course
No reflex action please.

Steve.

'Thoughts & Scribbles' Blog

"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

"Personal Development Through Image Construction"

M6 TTL Black, M6TTL Chrome, 35/2 Summicron ASPH, 50/2 Summicron

Nikon FM3A, Mamiya RZ67 Pro II