Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

an important project for social consideration
Old 04-02-2015   #1
DNG
Film Friendly

an important project for social consideration

Found a great article about a photographer who documents a single black father and his son...

It try's to expose that most single dads are doing the best they can to raise their child (children), despite a false assumption that much of society has!

Link >> http://www.imagedeconstructed.com/po...ght-on-zun-lee

Old 04-02-2015   #2
dfatty

wow, thanks for sharing.

Old 04-02-2015   #3
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

There is some very good work in the note, in addition to the very original and socially responsible topic. Thanks for posting DNG!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 04-02-2015   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is great. As many of you know, I am a single father. My son has not seen or heard from his mother in years, so its just been him and I. Our society constantly paints men as deadbeats and losers. As the article said, Black men get hit with this stereotype the hardest, but white men get it too. Our world is full of single moms who are portrayed as victims of men who ran off and abandoned their kids, and there is a whole infrastructure in our society devoted to supporting the single mother.

A single mom who is poor will have everything she needs handed to her, and she does not have to work for it. The state will give her a free apartment, free medical care, food stamps, and a monthly cash payment. They'll also hunt down the father and make him pay child support, even if he is just as poor as the mother, and will treat him as a criminal if he cannot pay.

On top of the state's support, the single mom can get money, clothes, food, and other help from countless charities devoted to helping single moms.

Single dads like Jerell and I who raise our kids by ourselves? We're invisible, and no one gives a damn if we or our kids live or die. In Indiana, there is no welfare, no private charities, no anything for poor single dads.

There are a lot of us out there. I personally know several others. In every case, the kid is better off without his/her mother. You'll never see stories in the news about that, though!

Jarell's story is important, and I'm glad to see stories like his finally covered in the media.

Old 04-02-2015   #5
Rick Waldroup

It is a fascinating story and the photos are top notch. This is great stuff.

Old 04-02-2015   #6
airfrogusmc

Strong work. Thanks for the link.

Old 04-02-2015   #7
kshapero
Press the Shutter

A different perspective: I was a single dad, as the mother took off with another man. I raised my daughter to never be bitter or resentful and never speak ill of her mother. I found that the entitlements (ie welfare and such) were offered to me and my daughter at the same level as if I were a single mom. Although I hate the way Western countries hand out welfare like candy, I am forever appreciative of that 1 year from Hell when Big Brother lent me a helping hand. Now 20 years later all parties are on good terms.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 04-02-2015   #8
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
A different perspective: I was a single dad, as the mother took off with another man. I raised my daughter to never be bitter or resentful and never speak ill of her mother. I found that the entitlements (ie welfare and such) were offered to me and my daughter at the same level as if I were a single mom. Although I hate the way Western countries hand out welfare like candy, I am forever appreciative of that 1 year from Hell when Big Brother lent me a helping hand. Now 20 years later all parties are on good terms.

It depends on the state you live in. Indiana is a lot different!

Old 04-02-2015   #9
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Contratulations on all your hard work. Welfare was intended to be "a hand up, not a hand out" as many have said. It's those that don't try to support themselves that are the problem.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 04-02-2015   #10
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
It depends on the state you live in. Indiana is a lot different!
Of course, nothing is the same everywhere.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos