Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Best cameraphone (iPhone 7Plus or Google Pixel XL)
Old 12-12-2016   #1
Nick De Marco

Best cameraphone (iPhone 7Plus or Google Pixel XL)

Not sure where to post this but I just did a review comparison of the iPhone 7Plus and Google PixelXL phone cameras on my blog: http://rangefinderchronicles.blogspo...st-review.html

For those who like to use a phone camera as a second shooter to their rangefinders, I think these two are the best out there right now, and there is not a lot between them. Here are a few shots from the review - but please click on the link and have a read - let me know what you think or your experience. I am most interested in the views of me fellow RF users and serious photographers!

Google Pixel XL:

My eye is a camera by Nick De Marco, on Flickr

iPhone 7Plus:

Banana Tree Leaves, Hackney by Nick De Marco, on Flickr

Pixel XL:

Pagoda classic shot by Nick De Marco, on Flickr

7Plus:

Pagoda classic shot by Nick De Marco, on Flickr

Nick

And my blog, Rangefinder Chronciles:
http://rangefinderchronicles.blogspot.co.uk

Old 12-13-2016   #2
Doug

Thanks Nick, interesting... Seems to me the iPhone has slightly cooler colors, looking at the sky and reflections in the water for instance.

I use an iPhone SE, sorry to admit I've not used the camera feature, as I usually have a Leica or Pentax over my shoulder!

Old 12-13-2016   #3
jarski

agreed these two are top of the line camera phones right now.

personally I started a recent experiment for my ongoing trip to Morocco. got new smartphone as my dedicated wide camera. its in my pocket anyways, so why not take advantage of it? for normal to tele, am still carrying a6000 body with a 55-210 zoom, but all wide stuff is recorded with phone. apart from night time shooting, been quite satisfied with result and operation so far. resolution wise, phone does not fall much behind Sony. both record raw files, that I load into Lightroom (+ jpegs that can be emailed, WhatsApp etc.) .

Old 12-13-2016   #4
Arbitrarium

Pixel wins for me on that pagoda shot. Tree branches look better defined against the sky. Excellent contrast by the looks. Makes me want one for my next phone... well, the camera and my love for Google generally.

Old 12-13-2016   #5
jbrubaker

l've been using my Pixel phone camera (same as xl model) since the day it was available. It is the best phone cam I've ever used. Image quality is excellent and operation is instant. All my phones in the past had a slight delay after pressing the shutter button.---jb.

Old 12-13-2016   #6
squirrel$$$bandit

7+ is working great for me. Hugely enjoying the second, 56mm equivalent lens, and having some fun with the software-generated portrait mode...not only the "depth effect" part but the rather grainy, gritty look (examples below). I wish I could apply that to all my iPhone photos.

Old 12-13-2016   #7
SaveKodak

Whichever one has the best camera app is the best camera phone IME. Luckily you should be able to get VSCO cam for both. However the iPhone has "Filmborn" which just came out and is excellent. As for pixel peeper quality, meh.

Old 12-13-2016   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
Whichever one has the best camera app is the best camera phone IME. Luckily you should be able to get VSCO cam for both. However the iPhone has "Filmborn" which just came out and is excellent. As for pixel peeper quality, meh.
I agree: it's the apps that make the biggest difference now. I'll stick with iPhone not only because of the camera but because of everything else it has that I've come to use and depend upon.

My biggest problem using any smartphone as a camera is holding it: they're just not particularly ergonomic and I tend to ruin a lot of what otherwise might have been excellent photographs because of camera shake. Not a big deal because I have plenty of 'real' cameras that suffice...

G

Old 12-13-2016   #9
stompyq

How do those two phones compare for video? I'am giving the Pixel XL and the LG v20 a lot of thought. Never been a fan of apple

Old 12-13-2016   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
How do those two phones compare for video? I'am giving the Pixel XL and the LG v20 a lot of thought. Never been a fan of apple
I have no idea how the Pixel and LG perform, but the iPhone 6 makes lovely 1080p videos.

G

ps: I'm not a "fan" of any company. I use the products of many companies because they suit me. :-)

Old 12-13-2016   #11
Nick De Marco

Thanks for all the comments so far - and those gorgeous photos.
As for video, both have 4K and my experiments s far both are good. I am going to view on a big screen when back from Malaysia.
Nick

And my blog, Rangefinder Chronciles:
http://rangefinderchronicles.blogspot.co.uk

Old 12-13-2016   #12
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:

Filmborn is a new one on me! Going to check it out...

Old 12-13-2016   #13
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

ps: I'm not a "fan" of any company. I use the products of many companies because they suit me. :-)
I am only a "fan" of a company if I am holding a lot of stock.

I am kind of a Warren Buffett when it comes to Alphabet and Google.

Old 12-13-2016   #14
CK Dexter Haven

Good stuff, Nick. I read your blog post and downloaded the pagoda shots. Looks like the Google boys did a nice job. Still, i'd prefer the iPhone, for the bokeh/tele lens, and Hipstamatic compatibility. But, i'm holding on to my 6sPlus until next year's 8, or whatever they call it for the 'anniversary' of the iPhone. That one is going to be rad.

Old 12-13-2016   #15
SaveKodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Filmborn is a new one on me! Going to check it out...
You won't be disappointed. It's built by a former film wedding photographer who has extensive film scanning experience. He took that color expertise and designed Mastin Labs, which are presets that do a pretty great job color matching popular emulsions accurately (no special effects, just the color profile and a few customizations). He's been selling those for a few years now, so a camera app just made logical sense. I like its simplicity.

Old 12-13-2016   #16
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I have no idea how the Pixel and LG perform, but the iPhone 6 makes lovely 1080p videos.

G

I am a fan of a few companies. Apple being one of them. As a designer, i have to appreciate what they do. And, on the other side of things, i would never want to be a designer (or do anything purely computer-based) if i had to use PCs.

Doesn't mean Apple doesn't have flaws, or missteps. But, geezus, what they've done in every sector.... Created and or/defined the category, and always elegantly.

Old 12-13-2016   #17
madNbad

Quote:
However the iPhone has "Filmborn" which just came out and is excellent.
Thanks for the heads up about this app. Just added it to my iPhone 7 and have been trying it out.

Old 12-13-2016   #18
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
You won't be disappointed. It's built by a former film wedding photographer who has extensive film scanning experience. He took that color expertise and designed Mastin Labs, which are presets that do a pretty great job color matching popular emulsions accurately (no special effects, just the color profile and a few customizations). He's been selling those for a few years now, so a camera app just made logical sense. I like its simplicity.
I'm excited about the Fuji 800Z emulation. That was my favorite color film until it was discontinued...once I get some daylight, I'll give it a spin!