Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Panasonic S1 S1 R L Mount cameras

Panasonic S1 S1 R L Mount cameras For Panasonic's killer S1, S1R "L" mount cameras.

Panasonic Lumix DC-S1/R
Old 02-03-2019   #1
Samouraï

Panasonic Lumix DC-S1/R

(What I believe are) the first fruits of the L-Mount alliance are borne: Panasonic's Lumix S1 L-mount cameras and S-series lenses are now available for pre-order (April 4).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promo...-02012019.html

A number of lenses and accessories are available for pre-order as well.
What do you think about the prices? How do you think Sigma and Leica will slot into this?

DC-S1R (47.3mp)
$3,697.99

DC-S1 (24.2mp)
$2,497.99

50/1.4
$2,297.99

70-200/4
$1,697.99

Old 02-03-2019   #2
jsrockit

I just can't get that excited about another me too mirrorless FF camera with one lens for $5000+...

though a 5.76M-dot EVF is pretty nice...

Old 02-03-2019   #3
Samouraï

I find these prices a little exorbitant for a freshman entry into a crowded market. The Panny 50/1.4 is priced the same as the new Canon 50/1.2, which already seems a bit rich (but is exotic enough to be dismissed as an outlier).

The original Sony A7/R and 55/1.8FE pairing seemed to hint at a future with world class image-making in a sensible package at a reasonable price. I'm surprised by how the market looks right now. Sigma will have to save the L-mount with relatively affordable glass, but I doubt their Foveon camera will be any cheaper than Panasonic's.

Old 02-03-2019   #4
CMur12

I'm still struggling to wrap my mind around digital photography, so I may have this all wrong, but my impression is that new high-resolution sensors require higher-resolution lenses than film did, resulting in more complex, more expensive lenses.

It appears that mirrorless cameras, with their superior auto-focus, are helping to make this practical. Hence, the new high-resolution, very expensive lenses from Nikon, Canon, and Panasonic with their new mirrorless cameras.

- Murray

Old 02-03-2019   #5
Samouraï

Sigma's 50/1.4 is under $1000 and is as high resolution as any 50 on the market. The Sony 55/1.8FE is also under $1000 and is comparably sharp, flat-field, it's still a really special lens.

And when curved sensors are introduced, we'll see (fixed?) lenses that are simple and inexpensive to manufacture.

Old 02-03-2019   #6
michaelwj
----------------

Thom Hogan had a bit to say on these cameras that I found interesting. His take was essentially that it is for their high end movie customers to move down into more than for their m43 customers to move up to.

I think once Sigma start to film in the lenses at more affordable prices (this is the cheapest L mount 50) a few DSLR folk *might* move that way rather to a smaller Nikon/Canon/Sony mirrorless camera, assuming the AF is up to snuff.

On the whole though, is it a sign of things to come? Manufacturers filling increasingly small niches to try to get a foothold?

Old 02-03-2019   #7
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I just can't get that excited about another me too mirrorless FF camera with one lens for $5000+...
Amen to that

Old 02-03-2019   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Odd prices for nothing special lenses.
Canon 50 1.4 and 70-200 f4 L are under 1K$ for two.
And Canon 6D is half price of S1.

Old 02-03-2019   #9
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samouraï View Post
I find these prices a little exorbitant for a freshman entry into a crowded market. The Panny 50/1.4 is priced the same as the new Canon 50/1.2, which already seems a bit rich (but is exotic enough to be dismissed as an outlier).

The original Sony A7/R and 55/1.8FE pairing seemed to hint at a future with world class image-making in a sensible package at a reasonable price. I'm surprised by how the market looks right now. Sigma will have to save the L-mount with relatively affordable glass, but I doubt their Foveon camera will be any cheaper than Panasonic's.
Talking about the price being "reasonable"...I remember when the 55/1.8 first came out at $999 people thought it was crazy.

So perception do, and will always change over time.

Old 02-03-2019   #10
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Did the same argument apply to the SL...?

Old 02-03-2019   #11
CMur12

Quote:
We won't know that they're "nothing special lenses" until they're tested.

The Canon 50mm 1.4 is a holdover from film days. It may well not be up to the task of a high-resolution sensor.

I have a Canon 5D Mk II, which is a nice camera, my first digital, and I'm still struggling to learn its ways. The finder is dim, however, and I'm thinking that a potential advantage of an EVF would be a brighter finder and easier manual focusing for aging eyes such as my own.

- Murray

Old 02-04-2019   #12
nickthetasmaniac

The bodies look good. I’ve always liked how Panasonic does UIs and the EVFs look great.

But the lenses/prices... I don’t get it.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 02-04-2019   #13
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
But the lenses/prices... I don’t get it.
Photographers: “we want edge to edge perfection without in camera corrections”

Lens manufacturers: “no problems, here is your 2kg, $2000 50/1.4”

Photographers: “can you make it smaller lighter and cheaper like the old 50’s”

Lens manufacturers: “sigh”

Old 02-04-2019   #14
leicapixie

It seems to me another great camera..
But with dwindling sales (Phone cameras),
It's the Leica business concept.
"Less for more".
When SLR arrived it was said "More expensive because of mirror box".
Now removing that "mirror box" we have more expensive cameras and lenses..
The lenses prices going up like space rockets into a new dimension..

Old 02-04-2019   #15
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
We won't know that they're "nothing special lenses" until they're tested.

The Canon 50mm 1.4 is a holdover from film days. It may well not be up to the task of a high-resolution sensor.

I have a Canon 5D Mk II, which is a nice camera, my first digital, and I'm still struggling to learn its ways. The finder is dim, however, and I'm thinking that a potential advantage of an EVF would be a brighter finder and easier manual focusing for aging eyes such as my own.

- Murray
Sorry, 50 1.4 is ASPH. So, here is no limit on digital.

All I need to use is in my DSLR VF and all I need to change is in physical controls and in VF, not in the menus.
And personally, I'd rather take my 500D oVF over any eVF. Not to mention my 50D MKII which is perfectly fine.

But it looks like eVF is new optical aid... I know several photogs who were not able to use oVF anymore and only eVF was allowing them to see it again.

Old 02-04-2019   #16
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Did the same argument apply to the SL...?
SL is overpriced, lame copy of A7 series. Where is no any other reason to buy any Leica made non-M camera, but status of the label. IMO.

Old 02-07-2019   #17
Lss

Quote:
Where is no any other reason to buy any Leica made non-M camera, but status of the label. IMO.
Well, performance with M lenses is one thing. What appears an excellent user interface is another. And for SL (definitely around its time of release), the quality of the EVF is yet one more.

There are reasons.

The prices of course are difficult to handle for regular folks. I don't know whether I would have liked the SL. But I sure would have loved to try it. I still hope to find the solution that ticks those three boxes. Will wait more information on Panasonic as well as next SL.

Old 02-08-2019   #18
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Photographers: “we want edge to edge perfection without in camera corrections”

Lens manufacturers: “no problems, here is your 2kg, $2000 50/1.4”

Photographers: “can you make it smaller lighter and cheaper like the old 50’s”

Lens manufacturers: “sigh”
Fair point. I guess as with most current releases, I’m just not the target market... Smaller, cheaper and less corrected would be fine with me. Likewise I’d be happy without the ultra-high res sensors that make such lenses necessary.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 02-08-2019   #19
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Fair point. I guess as with most current releases, I’m just not the target market... Smaller, cheaper and less corrected would be fine with me. Likewise I’d be happy without the ultra-high res sensors that make such lenses necessary.
To be honest, I don't think anyone here is their target market. We're special.

Old 02-09-2019   #20
bayernfan

any speculation/information on how the S1 is going to handle wide-angle M-Mount lenses? In the same league as the Leica SL?

Old 05-08-2019   #21
Huss

From what I’ve seen and read the Panasonic is not as good as
the SL. w Leica lenses. It also does not offer any M lens profiles.

I played w it in the store and was left nonplussed. I have no
idea why it is so expensive. My Z7 is already over priced (and works better w M glass
as the sensor stack is thinner.). I also couldnt tell much if any difference with the EVF. I think
we are now at the point of diminishing returns.
I did like the extra buttons but not the size of the thing. I’m not a fanboi of my Z7 by any means - there is plenty wrong w it - but if u want M glass use a Leica M240. Now really nice used one is less than the Panasonic.