Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Yashica 635 Test
Old 02-11-2014   #1
farlymac
PF McFarland

Yashica 635 Test

After repairs, transplanting parts, cleaning, and adjusting ( and a little cussing along the way), I finally got the 635 ready for a test roll. Loaded some Kodak T-Max 100, slapped on a Kodak Series V-to-Bay 1 adapter with yellow filter and hood, and headed south of town to a village called Henry, VA.

I messed up, and left the retaining ring on the adapter (which is not needed when using a hood), and wound up with some vignetting, and flare. Both were easily dealt with in PS Elements 10. No exposure corrections were needed, and I did all the calculations visually.

Link at the end to the full set, with narrative.

Willow Branch Road Cabin by br1078phot, on Flickr
Full clouds with this shot

Empty Store by br1078phot, on Flickr
The sun came out for a while, helping with the exposures

In The Wind by br1078phot, on Flickr
Medium range focus test

No More Furniture by br1078phot, on Flickr
Focus was on the crossing gate

Hot Pintos by br1078phot, on Flickr
Close focus range test

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7699588...7640858842964/

PF

Old 02-11-2014   #2
Spicy

Sweet shots. Did you fully revive it from the dead or just a home-brew CLA?

Old 02-12-2014   #3
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
Sweet shots. Did you fully revive it from the dead or just a home-brew CLA?
It had been dropped, so the name plate (along with the serial number) was missing, and the hood frame was broken, including the lifting spring. The shutter was slow, and the mirror was clouded over. I only had one filter that would fit the bayonets, and even it was very difficult to get on and off. And later on I found out the frame counter didn't work, so it was impossible to determine how much to wind the film.

I found a parts body that was mostly complete, except for the viewing lens, and most of the screws. I started out by transplanting the hood, mirror, and focus screen. Next, I transplanted the bayonets, as my filters would fit them. But they proved to be a different thickness than the originals. My camera is from the middle third of the design versions, and the one I was using for parts came from the third and last version. So I wound up just using the pins out of the donor. While I had the front cover off, I also cleaned the speed escapement and lenses, and adjusted the focus on the viewing lens. After discovering the frame counter malfunction, I opened up the side, and adjusted the return spring for the door closing detector.

You can see it all here on Flickr http://flic.kr/s/aHsjRmcX22

PF

Old 02-12-2014   #4
alienmeatsack

Wahoo! Results! IT'S ALIVE! Congrats on the revival

Old 02-13-2014   #5
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienmeatsack View Post
Wahoo! Results! IT'S ALIVE! Congrats on the revival
Thanks.

PF

Old 02-14-2014   #6
summar

The 635 was my first MF camera, bought new back in the '60s (my age is showing). The three-element Yashikor lens is very good when stopped down a bit, as you can tell from farlymac's fine pictures. I liked the 35mm kit for portraits. I wish now I hadn't traded it in, but we've all heard that story many times before.

Old 02-14-2014   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by summar View Post
The 635 was my first MF camera, bought new back in the '60s (my age is showing). The three-element Yashikor lens is very good when stopped down a bit, as you can tell from farlymac's fine pictures. I liked the 35mm kit for portraits. I wish now I hadn't traded it in, but we've all heard that story many times before.
They're still available, though some folks ask too much for them.

PF