Leica M2 Patch Question
Old 02-21-2019   #1
punkzter

Leica M2 Patch Question

I posted a thread a few weeks ago regarding another M2 that I had purchased (and subsequently returned). I purchased a second M2 on eBay as a replacement.....and I've got another question regarding the patch.

My original M2 had delamination issues, so I was very paranoid with the replacement.

So, here we go. I have the new M2, and the framelines are completely "crack free". The rangefinder patch is bright and also free of any cracks.

What I have noticed are a few very faint streaks in the patch that aren't as bright as the rest of it. Is this normal for these cameras? I wish I could describe it better. It's very very hard to see them, and I can only make it out when aiming the camera at bright white objects (like snow for instance).

In no way does it impact me using the camera, I'm just paranoid of what delamination might mean say 10 years from now.

Old 02-21-2019   #2
splitimageview

Pretty common and nothing to worry about. These cameras are 50+ years old...

Old 02-21-2019   #3
punkzter

that was what I was hoping to hear.

Old 02-21-2019   #4
Huss

There should be no streaks. Yes these cameras are 50 yrs old but either way that shows the onset of delamination. It happens this stuff is old not indestructible. Get one that does not have it (but it may develop later anyway) and understand that you may have to pay $400 down the road to fix it IF it does fail.

Old 02-21-2019   #5
punkzter

So, I took it out over my lunch break, and tried to come up with a better way to describe what I'm seeing. It's not streaks so much as some spots in the patch. They are really hard to see, and again, only noticeable against a bright white surface.

So you think this may be a sign of delamination.

In my previous camera, I guess it was the mask that had the issue (cracking) and neither Youxin or DAG could fix it. But in this case, is it a mask issue or is it something that is resolved by recementing the main prism?

Old 02-21-2019   #6
splitimageview

New modern frameline mask is available, service to re-cement prism, too. Alan Starkie can take care of both if the unlikely event occurs.

If you want a perfect camera buy a new one, otherwise just shoot the M2, as an aged viewfinder is quite normal and doesn’t indicate impending doom.

Old 02-21-2019   #7
Mjd-djm

Every m2 Iíve owned has spots in the patch in bright light. Not sure Iíve ever seen streaks though.

Old 02-21-2019   #8
punkzter

it's more like spots than streaks.

Old 02-21-2019   #9
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
New modern frameline mask is available, service to re-cement prism, too. Alan Starkie can take care of both if the unlikely event occurs.

If you want a perfect camera buy a new one, otherwise just shoot the M2, as an aged viewfinder is quite normal and doesnít indicate impending doom.

^^^
I think I concur with this. Its hard to predict when a problem may occur, but it could be a long time from now. Treat the camera nicely and it will probably be fine for a long while (don't hold me to that!). The good part is the fact that it can be repaired when/if a problem arises. The issue then is cost of repair vs. time of enjoyment before said repair is needed. We have all had to assess this risk.

Sounds like whatever you're seeing in the VF is quite faint. That's good.

Old 02-21-2019   #10
punkzter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
(don't hold me to that!)
That's legally binding, right?

Thanks. I think that this answers my question. I didn't buy the camera to obsess over it, but it's too expensive to have an issue that is "impending doom"

Old 02-21-2019   #11
punkzter

I do wonder about the point that this can be fixed. I've spoken with Youxin about the issue, and he says that it cannot be repaired. Has anyone had this issue serviced and who did they send the camera to?

Old 02-21-2019   #12
splitimageview

cameraworks-uk.com can provide their modern frameline mask and they also can re-cement prisms. No other Leica repair firm offers this.

One of my Ms received the first production unit of their FTA mask.

This link describes the situation and their solution:

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com/singl...rightline-Mask