Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Nikon F finder mirror (parts) interchangeable?
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
bhop73

Nikon F finder mirror (parts) interchangeable?

I found a black Nikon F with an eye level finder in a thrift shop last week afor $150, so I snatched it up.

It appears fully functional (test roll waiting for development) but the prism mirror has a chip in the glass and a vertical line down the middle. It doesn't affect functionality, but I'd like to fix it if possible. Of course, non-metered finders are ridiculously expensive (more than what I paid for this whole camera usually) and I haven't been able to find just the parts, but I did come across this drawing of a metered finder, which makes me wonder if the prism parts inside would be swappable

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-40.html

So does anybody know if this is doable? before I buy a parts finder..

thanks,
b

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
B-9
Devin Bro

Quick answer is no and I’m not sure it’s worth the effort of modifying one.

Possibly sell the damaged one and put half down in a cleaner one?

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
bhop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Quick answer is no and Iím not sure itís worth the effort of modifying one.

Possibly sell the damaged one and put half down in a cleaner one?
I figured as much.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
aizan

Maybe I'll add "Start a Kickstarter to make replacement prisms for the Nikon F eye level finder" to my New Year's Resolutions.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Livesteamer

The first metered F prism was non TTL so that prism might work as a replacement for a damaged standard prism. I also have a distant memory the the later metered prism used the same prism with two small optical blocks attached for the meter cells and that these blocks could be removed to make a replacement for a standard prism. I am not certain if this is true, perhaps other have greater knowledge. Joe

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
bhop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livesteamer View Post
The first metered F prism was non TTL so that prism might work as a replacement for a damaged standard prism. I also have a distant memory the the later metered prism used the same prism with two small optical blocks attached for the meter cells and that these blocks could be removed to make a replacement for a standard prism. I am not certain if this is true, perhaps other have greater knowledge. Joe
That was my thinking as well. I might just get a broken FTN and see how it goes.. if it doesn't work, then i'll just be in the same position I am now.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
splitimageview

I’ve been looking at prices of plain prisms and bodies with plain prisms the past few weeks, they are actually quite a bit lower than they used to be.

The main problem with buying these is that it’s difficult to determine the exact condition.
The internal foams can become rotten, and can corrode through the protective paint on the prism and de-silver it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Peter Jennings

Nice paint on that one! The finder and body wear match so nicely it'd be a shame to replace the finder. Definitely worth trying to save it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
So does anybody know if this is doable? before I buy a parts finder..
I have heard of people removing the meter prisms (the extra glass blocks attached to the main prism) from the prism out of a metered finder, then painting the openings created by removing them with silvering, then installing it in an eye level finder. Doable but maybe not your average layman level repair.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
bhop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
Nice paint on that one! The finder and body wear match so nicely it'd be a shame to replace the finder. Definitely worth trying to save it.
Yeah, I want to replace the inner glass/prism part and keep the outer cover as-is. It is a nice match.

I've done some small camera and lens repair jobs so I don't think this would be a big deal to be honest, from what i've read anyway.