The $1600 Leica Monochrom (typ 246)
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
emilsand

The $1600 Leica Monochrom (typ 246)

OK, this is a first world problem, and I do apologize.

Last Monday I woke up early, and noticed I'd received an email from one of those pricespy websites, telling me that there had been a price drop for one of my watched products.

Indeed, the Leica Monochrom typ 246 was available for $1600 from the largest dealer in Norway. I couldn't even remember setting up a price watch, but I bought it. It arrived on Friday, and I've only tested it to make sure everything is ok. It is. Matter of fact, the ISO performance of this camera is superb.

Here is the "dilemma" (okay, it is not a dilemma - there are no negatives here): I have an M240 that is good enough for me. I don't need an M246, but at this price I could happily live with it for those, I don't know, special moments?

My usual dealer has offered me around $4200 in credit for it, which is tempting. At some point that would go a long way towards an M10. If I sell this camera, I would most likely never buy another one again. A $7000 b/w camera is not where I'm at.

So, what would you do? I don't know if I'm looking for confirmation, or a wake up call, but most of all I would like to hear what you would do.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
jsrockit

Sell both and get the M10? Sell the M246 for a profit? Sell the M246 to a friend for the same price ...meaning to someone who really wants one?

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

I traded in my m240 for a m246 about a year ago. Best decision I've made in ages.

The m246 has a better sensor and can more easily handle lower light then then m240 ever could.

End of story.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtwit View Post
The m246 has a better sensor and can more easily handle lower light then then m240 ever could.

End of story.
Except if you prefer color...

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilsand View Post
OK, this is a first world problem, and I do apologize.

Last Monday I woke up early, and noticed I'd received an email from one of those pricespy websites, telling me that there had been a price drop for one of my watched products.

Indeed, the Leica Monochrom typ 246 was available for $1600 from the largest dealer in Norway. I couldn't even remember setting up a price watch, but I bought it. It arrived on Friday, and I've only tested it to make sure everything is ok. It is. Matter of fact, the ISO performance of this camera is superb.

Here is the "dilemma" (okay, it is not a dilemma - there are no negatives here): I have an M240 that is good enough for me. I don't need an M246, but at this price I could happily live with it for those, I don't know, special moments?

My usual dealer has offered me around $4200 in credit for it, which is tempting. At some point that would go a long way towards an M10. If I sell this camera, I would most likely never buy another one again. A $7000 b/w camera is not where I'm at.

So, what would you do? I don't know if I'm looking for confirmation, or a wake up call, but most of all I would like to hear what you would do.
Why apologize about “1st world problems”? You were born where and when you were born. Live your life justly and you’ve earned the right to the benefits of your circumstance.

The M10M is right around the corner. Sell the 246 now because the price will fall as soon as the new model appears. Its DR ought to be a leap beyond the previous Monochrom models

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
benlees

Never look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say. You got lucky! Use it, play with it, and sell it for a tidy profit. No worries.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Huss

Shoot the momokrom side by side w ur m240. Convert the m240 images to b&w and see which ones you prefer. If you prefer the m240’s or can’t tell any difference, definitely sell the monogram.

I’d even shoot the m240 in bw jpeg mode and see how u like those vs monokrom.
Sell it before the m10 version comes out.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Contarama

Keep it...it was meant to be yours...youve been watching them already right? What a great story!

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

If you don't know what to do, then do nothing until you know. In the meantime, take pictures with it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DanskDynamit

sell both and get the latest biggest iPhone, a cup of coffee and an a-year-around-the-world trip with the rest of the money.

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
emilsand

Thank you all! I've decided that I should at least give it a go. This is a rare opportunity to try something new. If I find that it is not for me, I can still pass it on.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Wouter2

I think this is a sign from heaven to challenge you to take good pictures with it. Where on earth can you get a new monochrom for this price? Cherish and use it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Financial literacy principles and historic info on Leica depreciation (which levels off after a point) would suggest that keeping a $1,600 M246, using it, and trading up to a then-$5,500 M10M three years from now is the best option. A camera is a tool and a depreciating asset, not an investment. Keep it until it's not useful anymore. Chasing depreciation (or running from it) is a losing battle.

Dante

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Ricoh

For those not so fortunate as the OP, this sounds like a reasonable (cough) price for an M246:

https://www.leicastoremanchester.com...246-black.html

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
For those not so fortunate as the OP, this sounds like a reasonable (cough) price for an M246:

https://www.leicastoremanchester.com...246-black.html
I have seen them cheaper than that.

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

My advice for these things is ask yourself this question. If I could buy a monochrome for the price I could sell it for, would I? If the answer is yes, keep it. If the answer is no, sell it.

You could look at this another way too. You could trade both your Leicas for an M10....

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
bob338

Where in the world did you find a Monochrom for $1600?

I'll take two, please.

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Peter_S

Really? The last M246s I saw here in Norway were 55000 NOK at least. Where on Earth did you find such a price? I thought my 25000 NOK M9M was a bargain!
--------------------------
www.ps-photo.net
On instagram