Old 1 Week Ago   #1841
Doug

The early-60's Pontiac Tempest had an interesting mechanical "experiment"... a long slender driveshaft running in a long curved housing from the engine to a rear transaxle and independent rear suspension. The standard motor was a slant-four derived from the 389 V-8 from the "full size" cars, IIRC. But there was also a new aluminum 3.5 liter V8 shared with other GM compacts and the British Rover. Interesting times!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1842
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The early-60's Pontiac Tempest had an interesting mechanical "experiment"... a long slender driveshaft running in a long curved housing from the engine to a rear transaxle and independent rear suspension.
The "rope drive" if I remember correctly.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1843
Doug

I'm not sure what the point of it was... The transaxle moved weight rearward for better handling balance, and the independent rear suspension should reduce unsprung weight for better handling... but IIRC it had swing axles which due to the camber changes are not much benefit to handling. Could this and the oddball half-V8 motor have been engineering exercises just to be different?

Advert for a 1958 Cadillac
Old 1 Week Ago   #1844
David Hughes
David Hughes

Advert for a 1958 Cadillac

Just after seeing the '59 model (above) I saw a framed advert for the '58 version. It was in a shop behind heap of second-hand stuff, vases etc, and I had to borrow my wife's phone and lean over them to get the picture with reflections and a poor crop. I hope I've managed to correct most of the problems.

It's not my idea of a good looking car, btw.

Regards, David

Old 1 Week Ago   #1845
CharlesDAMorgan

A good find David. I used to think this era of US (and UK pale imitiations) were a bit on the large size and rather bulky, but have come to respect them as excellent representations of their era. A friend who mainly restores UK and European cars loves them as decidedly robust, reliable and well made.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1846
Paulbe

David--I think that's a 1958--the '59 was a big change in style...
Paul

Old 1 Week Ago   #1847
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
A good find David. I used to think this era of US (and UK pale imitiations) were a bit on the large size and rather bulky, but have come to respect them as excellent representations of their era. A friend who mainly restores UK and European cars loves them as decidedly robust, reliable and well made.

I was tempted by it but mostly by the frame but I've too many photo's etc in frames and not enough wall...

So I left it there for someone else with a spare fiver to spend.

I was hoping to put a picture here of a "mystery" car as we used to have; a Bond Equipe, but I only have slids from that era and a few PR pictures I scrounged from BL.

Regards, David

PS To add to the mystery I scrounged a sticker saying "Serviced by Aston Martin" and put it on the rear screen. Everyone in this village in those days was a farm hand, a clicker or an outworker in the boot and shoe trade but there were one or two of us commuting to distant parts and ASL was just down the road then.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1848
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post

Just after seeing the '59 model (above) I saw a framed advert for the '58 version. It was in a shop behind heap of second-hand stuff, vases etc, and I had to borrow my wife's phone and lean over them to get the picture with reflections and a poor crop. I hope I've managed to correct most of the problems.

Regards, David
Late Fifties automotive design coming out of Detroit was, like the music, a reflection of the spirit of the country at the time. Vibrant, confident, enthusiastic, forward looking, and bursting with a sense of joy at being alive. If you think that assessment is excessive, it’s only because. you weren’t there.

It was a time of large shifts in design, year to year. Not for them the timid and unsure “incremental” “improvements” we see today. Bigger touch screen!

The excesses of design, as here in this ‘58 Caddy, were not bugs, they were features. It was lost on no one at the time that this was excessive; people not only didn’t care, they loved it, even if they couldn’t afford it. “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” as Cyndi Lauper would later say.
America in the Fifties, no one needed a shoe conglomerate to prod them to “Just Do It” because just doing it was the norm. The fact that “It” didn't always work was not a deterrent; there was always next year with its fresh sheet of paper.

As cars, taken as transportation devices and not design statements, the American cars of this era were not that great, but were more or less “of their time”. They were, as they were called at the time, land yachts. They wallowed, handling like a nice Chris Craft with an Olds V-8 on board, just burbling along Route 66. They were not really transportation devices, they were built to put smiles on people’s faces. And that they did.

FWIW, I never lusted for a ‘59 Cadillac, being more of a ‘58 Buick Roadmaster man myself. Nothing succeeds like excess.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 1 Week Ago   #1849
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
...FWIW, I never lusted for a ‘59 Cadillac, being more of a ‘58 Buick Roadmaster man myself. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Hmmm, my take on that is that "less is more" to quote Ludwig (MvdR) an American...

I can see what you mean, however...

Regards, David

Old 1 Week Ago   #1850
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Sony A7III - Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN lens
Yokohama, Japan - December 2019

A yank tank in Japan

All the best,
Mike

Old 1 Week Ago   #1851
Doug

Exuberance in the late 50's indeed! But the import market surged too with smaller sportier cars, and the decidedly anti-exuberant VW Beetle became very popular. Not uncommon to see these on their side in the ditch after attempting a corner at exuberant speed!

I bought into the exuberant culture with a 1959 Dodge 4-door hardtop in two-tone pink. Was a good car IMO, better than my dad's 59 Chev, but when I moved into Seattle I wanted something smaller and sold it. The replacement was a hump-back Volvo 544 in dull OD green, virtually a repudiation of exuberance but not quite as much so as a VW.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1852
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
Sony A7III - Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN lens
Yokohama, Japan - December 2019

A yank tank in Japan

All the best,
Mike
Nice clean El Camino, I don’t see those much any more, especially in that condition. I had an SS396 once. Something else I wish I still had.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 1 Week Ago   #1853
kshapero
Growing with experience

Quote:

Regards, David
WOW!! The fins. I actually find these cars gross and ugly. my GAS at the time was a Triumph TR 3.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 1 Week Ago   #1854
besk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I'm not sure what the point of it was... The transaxle moved weight rearward for better handling balance, and the independent rear suspension should reduce unsprung weight for better handling... but IIRC it had swing axles which due to the camber changes are not much benefit to handling. Could this and the oddball half-V8 motor have been engineering exercises just to be different?
Porshe used it in their 944 if I am not mistaken.

GM tried several innovative designs in the 60's trying to complete with the European imports. Oldsmobile had the aluminum V8, Buick the V6, Pontiac the "iron duke" 4 cyl. Chevrolet had the Corvair. Versions of the aluminum V8 and Buick's V6 are still being used today in a variety of automobiles.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1855
besk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
WOW!! The fins. I actually find these cars gross and ugly. my GAS at the time was a Triumph TR 3.
I had a Triumph TR3. The Ford Falcon of sports cars. It was that crude and easy to work on. Wish I hadn't sold it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1856
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by besk View Post
Porshe used it in their 944 if I am not mistaken.

GM tried several innovative designs in the 60's trying to complete with the European imports. Oldsmobile had the aluminum V8, Buick the V6, Pontiac the "iron duke" 4 cyl. Chevrolet had the Corvair. Versions of the aluminum V8 and Buick's V6 are still being used today in a variety of automobiles.
Buick, Olds, and Pontiac had the aluminum V8. In fact, it was also referred to as the B-O-P V8. Rover, of England, eventually bought the rights to this engine, reworked it somewhat, and used it for a long time.

- Murray

Old 1 Week Ago   #1857
dourbalistar

Well, since we're on the topic of late-50s tail fins...

1958 Dodge Coronet Coupe, Fourth generation (1957–1959).

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, ORWO N74+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2019.06.28 Roll #209-03773-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #1858
David Hughes
David Hughes

IIRC this was based on something from the USA and appeared here in the early 50's.

The engine was a maid of all work and even powered a tractor...

Regards, David

Old 1 Week Ago   #1859
02Pilot
Malcontent

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 2 Days Ago   #1860
Alfasud
Old Toys

If I age as well as my cameras, I'll do all right

Old 1 Day Ago   #1861
FujiLove

Pentax 67 | 90mm | Ektar

Old 1 Day Ago   #1862
Larry Cloetta

Spare tire looks to be in nice shape.

Old 1 Day Ago   #1863
CharlesDAMorgan

Oh, that's a very nice Series 3. You can't fake that sort of patina!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 1 Day Ago   #1864
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
You can't fake that sort of patina!
Two gallons of sulfuric acid?

Old 1 Day Ago   #1865
FrozenInTime

Landrovers are often reborn, living many lives:

M10 + Voigtlander 40/1.2
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 1 Day Ago   #1866
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasud View Post
Isn't this center red car your namesake, the Alfasud made in Naples by Alfa Romeo? Front-wheel drive with a 1.2L boxer motor...

Old 22 Hours Ago   #1867
kymar

MH1_3694a by m h, on Flickr

Old 20 Hours Ago   #1868
dourbalistar

Quote:
IIRC this was based on something from the USA and appeared here in the early 50's.

The engine was a maid of all work and even powered a tractor...

Regards, David
Perhaps based on something like this? Anyone care to guess based on another rear quarter?

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2019.10.10 Roll #223-04070-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 10 Hours Ago   #1869
David Hughes
David Hughes

I forgot to mention that the engine used in the Vanguard above was used in the Triumph TR2, the TR3's and the TR4's, as well as in the Ferguson TE20 tractor...

Regards, David