Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 09-19-2013   #361
Argenticien
Dave

Thanks Dan, I'll give it a go with Greg. It's knowledge and helpfulness like this that makes me dig the RFF community and keep coming back here. (And this question wasn't even about a rangefinder!)
--Dave

Old 09-21-2013   #362
back alley
IMAGES

i just bought a minolta 45mm lens for 20 bucks!
well, i just paid for it...now the wait at the mailbox!!

Old 09-23-2013   #363
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i just bought a minolta 45mm lens for 20 bucks!
well, i just paid for it...now the wait at the mailbox!!
Hey Congrats Joe! You will like that lens, it has a good following on the internet.

I haven't purchased any camera stuff in a while, but I just snagged something unusual, for my two Minolta Motorized SR-M bodies. The Minolta Intervalometer-S. It allows intermittent and remote firing of multiple SR-M's (or Minolta Autopak movie cameras). Very very cool. According to original 1972 Minolta Product Catalogue, it was a $640.00 accessory, by far the most expensive accessory for the SR-M. I got it for $299.00, so I am very pleased. Powered by six "C" cells. Here is the Unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251343090782...84.m1423.l2649

Old 09-23-2013   #364
back alley
IMAGES

just making a deal on a cla'd 202 plus 45...too good to pass up on a cla'd kit.
now, i'll just keep an eye open for lenses...

Old 09-23-2013   #365
rover

You have the fever!!!

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 09-23-2013   #366
Pioneer

That 45/2 was not Minolta's priciest lens but mine is a terrific performer and it provides great bang for the buck. I have not used my Minolta kit for awhile but that 45 and my SRT 102 are one of my favorite walk around combos. The rendition and color are beautiful.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 09-23-2013   #367
back alley
IMAGES

looking forward to mine...

Old 09-23-2013   #368
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I never came across a poor Minolta Rokkor lens until a couple of weeks ago when I passed up a 45mm f/2 at the flea market that was full of fungus and what looks like water damage. The seller wanted $60. He is unlikely to sell..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 09-23-2013   #369
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
I never came across a poor Minolta Rokkor lens until a couple of weeks ago when I passed up a 45mm f/2 at the flea market that was full of fungus and what looks like water damage. The seller wanted $60. He is unlikely to sell..
I'll have a second one soon if you're looking...

Old 09-23-2013   #370
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
I'll have a second one soon if you're looking...
I have 2 but would have bought that one too if it were in good condition and flea market cheap..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Getting 250 Exposure SR-M Parts Together.
Old 10-12-2013   #371
Nokton48

Getting 250 Exposure SR-M Parts Together.

Received a Minolta FL-90 Bulk Film Loader (from KEH) complete and in mint condition. This was designed for the later Maxxum 90 exposure bulk backs, but can be reset in the dark to load 250 exposure Minolta Film Cartridges for the SR-M, and also for the Motorized XK. I have six of the Minolta 250 exposure Film Cartridges, so far. Eastman 5222 motion picture film is probably what I will use initially. Still looking for the SR-M 250 Exposure Film Film Back, with the proper cables.

Also bought a replacement 28mm F2.5 MC Rokkor-SI from Ebay. Gave away my perfect one, to my older son, when I gifted him with a Minolta SRT complete kit. Have been looking for a good one, for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (66.5 KB, 20 views)

Old 10-12-2013   #372
back alley
IMAGES

my 202/45 is still in the mail...

Old 10-12-2013   #373
Timmyjoe

Was given an SRT102 with a 50 Rokkor lens a number of years ago, that had been left behind by a distant relative of my wife. It was in sad shape and I put in many hours bringing it back to fully functioning condition. Shot a test roll of Tri-X and fell in love with the beautiful subtle B&W toning the lens produced.

Put it aside and about a month later, one of my wife's family members, not knowing it was completely restored, gave it to Goodwill. By the time I found out and went to retrieve it, it had already been sold.

REALLY miss that camera.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-12-2013   #374
Nokton48

Quote:
my 202/45 is still in the mail...
Joe,

I think you will like the SRT202. It was the very last, top-of-the-line SRT. Had an extra-bright Acute Focusing Screen, so it is nice and bright to look through, along with some other more advanced features. Here is mine, which I covered in Griptac from Cameraleather, which makes it very grippy even in hot weather. The 58mm F1.4 MC PF Rokkor makes a nice classic accompaniment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (76.9 KB, 46 views)

Old 10-12-2013   #375
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Was given an SRT102 with a 50 Rokkor lens a number of years ago, that had been left behind by a distant relative of my wife. It was in sad shape and I put in many hours bringing it back to fully functioning condition. Shot a test roll of Tri-X and fell in love with the beautiful subtle B&W toning the lens produced.

Put it aside and about a month later, one of my wife's family members, not knowing it was completely restored, gave it to Goodwill. By the time I found out and went to retrieve it, it had already been sold.

REALLY miss that camera.

Best,
-Tim
that had to hurt!

Old 11-08-2013   #376
back alley
IMAGES

believe it or not…i am still waiting on my 202/45 to arrive!!

Minolta Holiday Gifts For Me.
Old 11-19-2013   #377
Nokton48

Minolta Holiday Gifts For Me.

From KEH a Minolta XK Waist Level Finder. Also from KEH, a Minolta 55mm 80B filter (filter cost a whopping 89 cents)
Shown also is my new 28mm F2.5 MC Rokkor, this is the one with the rare-earth elements. My first one was hazy and very dark yellow to look through. It went into my Minolta junk box.

From Ebay, the Minolta Connecting Cord for the Minolta Intervalometer-S. Cobbled this together with a male SR-M plug. The Intervalometer-S is working properly, firing my SR-M at precise preselected intervals. Pretty cool when this stuff works properly after forty+ years Now I just need to solder and shrink-wrap the cord, and I'm good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (80.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (77.5 KB, 11 views)

Old 11-19-2013   #378
back alley
IMAGES

the seller and i have officially given up hope on the 202 ever getting here…a refund was issued...

Old 11-19-2013   #379
rover

Too bad.

You know, I may have an SRT 102 hanging around which was CLA'd before I bought it, but not used in a little while. Hmmm, l will have to look, maybe we can work a deal if you are intersted.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

SRM on the ...bay
Old 12-23-2013   #380
mynikonf2
OEM

SRM on the ...bay

Saw this & thought someone here might be interested. A real minty SRM for sale on Ebay but with a real hefty asking price too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Minolta...item4d16acc2a8

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 01-12-2014   #381
Argenticien
Dave

35/1.8 price ... good grief. So ... for those of us with 1.8 sticker shock: how's the 35/2.8, other than obviously about 1.3 stop slower? (I'm talking old full-metal MC lenses here, not newer MC Rokkor-X or MD, only because I collect the oldies for their heft and solidity.)
--Dave

Old 01-12-2014   #382
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenticien View Post
35/1.8 price ... good grief. So ... for those of us with 1.8 sticker shock: how's the 35/2.8, other than obviously about 1.3 stop slower? (I'm talking old full-metal MC lenses here, not newer MC Rokkor-X or MD, only because I collect the oldies for their heft and solidity.)
--Dave

I paid $20 for my 35mm F2.8 MC Rokkor at a camera show. KEH has them at $35-$49 right now. It is an exceptionally good lens, in my opinion, very underrated. It's nice to have F1.8 (have that one too) but I don't always use it wide-open. Mostly inside and at night. Or, use a flash.

Auction prices can get crazy when you get a few parties involved that want something. I think if you keep looking, you can find one for less than $271

Old 01-12-2014   #383
redisburning
-

I dunno 300 seems like a fair price for that lens.

58/1.2s are going for north of 450 now unconverted and while it aint cheap having owned one Id say it's worth it. the only thing that kills it for me is the camera bodies.

Old 01-12-2014   #384
Argenticien
Dave

@Dan: Thanks for that; I did see the BGN 2.8s for those prices at KEH and was tempted. (You can even get mint ones elsewhere for about $75.) Glad to hear you've had good experience with it. I have a gap between 28mm and 50mm.

@red: Well, I was reluctantly concluding this price was about fair ... hence my thinking I'll have to make do with the 2.8 lens. I didn't mean to imply it was necessarily unfair; just that it was out of my price range. Like you, I too consider the bodies attached to these lenses. When it's a $15 lens, and there's a $20 camera attached that's redundant to one I already have, I do think twice, especially with shopgoodwill.com who tend to have expensive shipping, priced by weight. If a camera adds $10 cost to a $250+ lens (as the crappy 101 on this 35/1.8 would do, at best), that's noise that wouldn't worry me too much. What's more deal-breaking to me is when they put a good lens in a large lot with three gigantic, metal, slow 1970s zooms that weigh a kg each and add $20 to the shipping cost and are probably not worth having anyway.

--Dave

Old 01-30-2014   #385
valdas

Could not resist this...

Old 01-30-2014   #386
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

The MC-Rokkors with the deeply scalloped metal focus rings, like this one,^ are my favorites. I realize the later Rokkors with smaller filter ring sizes are probably optically "better" (mainly due to improved coatings), but they don't seem as well made.

Old 01-30-2014   #387
EastNeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
The MC-Rokkors with the deeply scalloped metal focus rings, like this one,^ are my favorites. I realize the later Rokkors with smaller filter ring sizes are probably optically "better" (mainly due to improved coatings), but they don't seem as well made.
I'll just add my two pennies and say that while the 58 f/1.2 has a deservedly excellent reputation, based on what I've seen, I can attest that the 58 f/1.4 is also a worthwhile lens. I got mine at $80 in excellent optical shape with some minor cosmetic infelicities. I've only shot it via an adapter on a Ricoh GXR, but the results were quite wonderful for portraits. I like it enough that I may by a SRT 102 one day to go with it.

Old 01-31-2014   #388
Argenticien
Dave

+1 re: the 58/1.4; nice lens. I very luckily got mine and a 28/3.5 (same vintage; scalloped heavy metal) for $67 + postage. Some screws missing on the 58 as I've posted above, but so far it has not mattered a whit. I don't see getting any of the later plasticky MC, or MD, lenses unless I "need" a model (such as a 24 mm) that didn't exist in the old metal lenses. Or if I ever dive into the later X-bodies and then need MD lenses to make them work properly.

--Dave

Old 02-02-2014   #389
Nokton48

Somebody just got an amazing deal on this! Hope it was somebody here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331115737831...84.m1423.l2649

For the Minolta collector and user. The 21mm F4.5 MC Rokkor with SRT optical finder, ORIGINAL REAR CAP!! and case. Raid Amin and I both have the later version of this lens, and we both love it The later version was an F4 lens. What a great price for such a truly rare and lovely to use item. Mine has basically replaced my RF 19mm F3.5 Canon, and 21mm F3.4 Leitz Super Angulon. Gives a very similar look to both of those, and works on the SRT's, providing a rangefinder-like buzz whilst shooting. (requires mirror lockup).

Old 02-03-2014   #390
Argenticien
Dave

But the SRT is not a rangefinder, so I presume one just zone-focuses/guesstimates with the 21? It seems like the DOF on so wide a lens would have everything between your nose and Mars in focus anyway...or maybe only from your elbow to the Moon if shooting wide-open. I never knew the SR/SRT lineup had a lens like that; interesting, and frustrating if I ever wanted one: I have a later SRT102 that lacks MLU.

--Dave

How to Put the 21mm F4 MC Rokkor-QH on the XK.
Old 02-10-2014   #391
Nokton48

How to Put the 21mm F4 MC Rokkor-QH on the XK.

The Yashica 21mm SLR Finder, absolutely great on the XK or on the SRT's

A coveted favorite of the Leica Guys (second choice for me would be the 21mm F3.4 Leitz Super Angulon finder).
The Leica finder is usually less money and way easier to find.

This one is every bit as good as the Leitz

Since the mirror is locked up, and the shutter is electronic, this camera setup is very steathy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (65.2 KB, 70 views)

Old 02-11-2014   #392
Argenticien
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
The Yashica 21mm SLR Finder, absolutely great on the XK or on the SRT's
[...]
Since the mirror is locked up, and the shutter is electronic, this camera setup is very steathy.
Sonically stealthy maybe, but visually not so much. It stands out like Darth Vader with a monocle!

Eventually someone will have to get together this lens, an adapter, and a a7 to see if it can fit on there safely without the rear element fouling the sensor. Tempting setup if feasible...

--Dave

Old 02-11-2014   #393
Nokton48

Quote:
It stands out like Darth Vader with a monocle!

Ha Ha! Yes, You are right!

Here it is in an SRT-101. Really not so different in use from the Leicaflex with 21mm and finder, or a Nikon FTn with the 21mm Nikkor-O. But with Minolta the price is so much more reasonable. Here's a good example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-W-Ro...p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leicaflex-wi...item56607623f5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-NIKKOR...item2a3798733c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (74.6 KB, 33 views)

85!
Old 02-11-2014   #394
Argenticien
Dave

85!

Well, I was buying SRT kit bottom-feeder wise (garden-variety lenses at $15 - $50 at a time). Now I am committed to this system: After a frustrating outing shooting a concert where I could not get the combination of speed and reach that I wanted, I gave in and got the 85/1.7 lens. (I had no fast portrait lens in any system until now.)

SRT102_85 by Argenticien, on Flickr

I had been halfheartedly watching 85s on eBay before, and was not amused by the ones sitting there for months with B.I.N. prices of $500, or those auctioned for over $200 with oily blades or "needs repair." Then KEH ran a 10% off special last weekend (just days after my concert fail), so I pulled the trigger on an EX one for $314 (down from $349). That eliminates the thrill of the auction hunt, but also eliminates the risk. The lens is perfect except for minor paint wear on the scalloped focusing grip. You have to like KEH. Ordered Sunday night, received this morning. (Granted, Charlotte is close to Atlanta.)

I hadn't fully realized how big this thing would be. It wears the same 55mm filter as the 58/1.4, but that's not the whole story. It's much more bulbous, and weighs half a kilo. Here it is with the 58, and with the tiny Canon RF 50/1.8 for reference. (Oh ... this is why we shoot rangefinders...)

3lens by Argenticien, on Flickr

Needless to say, I can't wait to shoot with this thing. I'm cooped up inside due to a snowstorm now, but if I can get out on Friday, my mom has a round-number birthday (70)--a good occasion for some portraiture. And then I need a concert...

--Dave

Here's My 85mm F1.7 MC
Old 02-12-2014   #395
Nokton48

Here's My 85mm F1.7 MC

Love this lens. Use it quite a bit, and will continue to use it in the coming years. It actually has replaced my Canon RF 85mm F1.5 (this lens is way smaller than that one, and way lighter in weight, too). The Canon was about a stop faster, but no MC, and 2X-3X the total cost, so the Minolta is fine for my uses. I paid a bit North of $300 for mine as well, after a while it developed a sticky aperture. John Titterton fixed that problem, in -one day-, for $40. He's THE MAN. Imagine getting a Leica repaired in one day

I fitted mine out deluxely, with the correct specific 85mm MC Rokkor hood (about 5 Bucks at KEH), and a vintage original Minolta MC silver filter, and the plastic lenscap is for a large format lens, I believe. It tightly press-fits into inside of the 85mm F1.7 hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (69.7 KB, 35 views)

Old 02-13-2014   #396
Argenticien
Dave

Nicely done, Dan. I looked for a hood while I was ordering the lens on KEH, and didn't find the anatomically correct one. I suppose any hood that screws onto 55mm threads and is for a shorter lens would help at least more than nothing. (Anything from a longer lens, of course, risks vignetting.) But I like your way better!
--Dave

Old 02-15-2014   #397
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Look what followed me home today...

srT 102 by Colyn's fotografs, on Flickr

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 02-16-2014   #398
Argenticien
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
Look what followed me home today...
Brilliant! It looks almost new. Mine came with that standard 50/1.7 as well. I've hardly used it, favoring the 58/1.4 non-"X" Rokkor. I keep meaning to do a rigorous, controlled comparison shoot between those two lenses, though. I suspect I could be overlooking a gem in the 1.7.

--Dave

Old 02-16-2014   #399
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Brilliant! It looks almost new. Mine came with that standard 50/1.7 as well. I've hardly used it, favoring the 58/1.4 non-"X" Rokkor. I keep meaning to do a rigorous, controlled comparison shoot between those two lenses, though. I suspect I could be overlooking a gem in the 1.7.

--Dave
The only scuffing is a little on the bottom plate.

I've got a sample of all the Minolta 50's. The f/1.7 is every bit as good as the others. My 58mm f/1.2 flares a bit in bright sunlight even with the proper hood.

I may try a controlled test with all soon..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Second Minolta Electroflash.
Old 02-20-2014   #400
Nokton48

Second Minolta Electroflash.

This just arrived today, the Minolta SRT Electroflash. A spare for me, now I have two of them. Put batteries in it, no go at first. Let it "soak" for ten minutes with power on, both readylights glow, and flash fires perfectly. Once again, old Minolta SRT stuff just keeps on working! Also came with original case and AC cord.

Shown with my ringneck Lizard SRT101 and 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor. Very hard to find original flash made for the SRT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (66.9 KB, 19 views)