Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Fixed Lens 35mm RF

Fixed Lens 35mm RF This forum is dedicated to the numerous and popular fixed lens rangefinders, including but not limited to the Canon Canonets, Konica III and S series, Minoltas, Ricohs, Vivitars, and so many others. Note fixed lens Olympus , Yashicas, Argus and Retina have separate forums.

Tower 18B Mamiya???
Old 05-15-2008   #1
totifoto

Tower 18B Mamiya???

Anyone here using this camera or any other Mamiya rangefinder?

I saw one on ebay for 148$ in mint cond. Looks great and the viewfinder looks big. has a built in lightmeter and the shutter and aperture controls on the lens.

What do you think? Worth getting?

Last edited by totifoto : 05-16-2008 at 09:24.

Old 05-17-2008   #2
totifoto

Old 05-17-2008   #3
Wayno

I'm not familiar with that particular camera. It looks to be in really nice condition, but I think that's WAY too much money to pay. There are plenty of top quality fixed lens RFs from that era available for $20 or so (eg Minolta Himatic 7s).

Old 05-19-2008   #4
totifoto

Well I found another one on ebay for 60$ Now Im just waiting for the postman to come, will show you result from my first film from it

Old 05-19-2008   #5
NickTrop

Personally, for $150 approx, I would get me any of the following:

- Yashica Minster
- Any of the Yashica Lynx models, especially the 14 or 1000
- Yashica GSN
- Konica Auto S2 (or S3)
- One of the better Minolta Hi Matics
- Canon QL 17

That is, any of the "common" but excellent fixed lens RFs that one can get for $1.00 to, say, $50.00 in "decent" condition, of which there are many to choose, then send it off to Mark Hamma to have it repaired/CLA's for roughly the same total amount.

A camera from the mid? early? 60's - even if in "mint" condition will be in need of servicing regardless of cosmetic condition. While I'm sure the Mamiya is a fine fixed lens RF, they're all pretty much in the same league in terms of quality, all having the same construction essentially (except the GSN due to its stepless electronic shutter), same 6 element/4 group (7 element, 5 group for the Lynx 14) high quality coated lenses...

For $150, a Konica Auto S2, GSN, Lynx, Himatic for as cheaply and in as good condition to start that you can find... then off to Hamma. Another problem with the "rarer" cameras is there are no parts for them. But a GSN? A Konica Auto S2? Buy a "parts" camera - or two or three...
|

Old 05-19-2008   #6
rogerchristian

It appears to be a Minolta AL-F or similar.