Old 10-16-2018   #41
Bingley

I'll chime in. I have an M2 and an M3, and had an M4-2 which I sold to another member here. I've never felt the need to have a Leica M with a meter. The M2 had a CLA a few years ago; the M3 (a more recent purchase) hasn't had a CLA but then it doesn't need one -- it works just fine. I got the M3 b/c it was an itch that needed to be scratched, and one came along for a good price. I like the larger RF patch. I wear glasses and the 50 framelines are a little hard to see.

About 90% of my photography is done with either a 50 or a 35 lens. So, for me, the M2 is a perfect camera, and if I could only have one M that would be the one. I took the M2 with me on a two week trip to France this past summer, along with two Canon lenses, a 50/1.5 and a 35/2.0. Shot only black and white with that camera and left the color photos to a digital camera I also brought along. I would not underestimate the beauty of the M2 and a 50mm lens: you can clearly see around the framelines, even if you wear glasses, which can be helpful in composing. The M2 and the two Canon lenses turned out to be a perfect kit for me.

Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these older M cameras, but if you shoot a lot with a 35mm lens the M2 is a logical choice.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 10-16-2018   #42
Mute-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
"M4 really isn’t made as well as M2. Close, but not quite." Tell that to Jim Marshall & other pros who used the heck out of their M4s....;;

Of course they used the heck out of them - they were all made for that. Some were just made better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2018   #43
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
Of course they used the heck out of them - they were all made for that. Some were just made better

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet"
............ Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-16-2018   #44
Mute-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet"
............ Abraham Lincoln

I own M2 and M4

Old 10-16-2018   #45
Michael Markey

1955 M3 ,196O M2 and 1969 M4 … can`t see any difference in build quality between any of them or any meaningful difference in operation.

They are all well built simple film cameras.

Old 10-17-2018   #46
Dogman

Indecision leads to confusion. Especially when you ask for other's opinions.

Anyway, here goes: meters are good. M5 is ugly. Get an M6.