Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Super Ikonta III or IV samples
Old 04-29-2008   #1
wintoid
Back to film

Super Ikonta III or IV samples

I'm having a hard time finding much in the way of examples of the quality possible with a Super Ikonta III or IV. Does anyone have some shots they'd like to share?

Old 04-29-2008   #2
wintoid
Back to film

Seems like there are no photos because there are no photos

Old 04-29-2008   #3
Bluesman
Richard

Slow down, wintoid :-) - gotta give people a chance to see your post and to dig up&scan :-)

Cheers /R

Old 04-29-2008   #4
wintoid
Back to film

Ah I didn't think like that as I've always been so scan-o-centric Still it was kind of more of a bump anyway!

Errr... bump!

Old 04-30-2008   #5
semrich

Here's one: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...38&ppuser=5622

"The individual is an aperture through which the whole energy of the universe is aware of itself"...

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

http://www.rweatheredgallery.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 04-30-2008   #6
furcafe

Did you try searching through the galleries?

Here are a couple of mine:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...785&ppuser=736

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...308&ppuser=736

More on flickr @:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/furcafe...ontaivc195560/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintoid View Post
I'm having a hard time finding much in the way of examples of the quality possible with a Super Ikonta III or IV. Does anyone have some shots they'd like to share?
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 04-30-2008   #7
wintoid
Back to film

Thanks guys. I actually didn't know the galleries were searchable, so you learn a new thing every day! Thanks for the tip. I've seen pretty much everything I could find on FlickR.

As to the alignment, I'm getting the Ikonta from Jurgen, so am hoping that all will be well.

Old 04-30-2008   #8
Wayno

Here are a few from a Super Ikonta IV with Tessar:

I repaired this camera for somebody who ended up giving it back to me as a gift! I've only put a few rolls through it but absolutely love it. Fantastic travelling camera.

Old 05-01-2008   #9
furcafe

The alignment issue is 1 that applies to all folders, & the Super Ikontas have generally held up well in that department. Jurgen is a good guy in my experience (I had him repair an Agfa Super Isolette once, but have never bought anything directly from him).

Quote:
As to the alignment, I'm getting the Ikonta from Jurgen, so am hoping that all will be well.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Last edited by furcafe : 05-01-2008 at 06:13. Reason: typo(s)

Old 05-01-2008   #10
furcafe

Yes, the Tessar on the IV rocks. My only real complaint is the well-known frame-spacing issue. FYI, in my experience, Kodak & Ilford films seem to be less affected than Fuji & other manufacturers (e.g., Efke) for some reason (thicker backing paper?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
I've only put a few rolls through it but absolutely love it. Fantastic travelling camera.
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 05-01-2008   #11
Wayno

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
My only real complaint is the well-known frame-spacing issue.
Yep, mine sometimes puts the frames very close or just touching. For the last roll I tried winding a bit past the start mark before I closed the back and got perfect spacing. The bit of extra backing paper seems to do the trick. This was recommended to me by somebody else who owns one.

Old 05-01-2008   #12
P C Headland

Hi,

I've got a bunch in my fotopic galleries. Mine is an SI III with Novar lens. More than respectable stopped down a bit, and funky bokeh when used wide open. A good deal cheaper than the tessar equiped versions.

Flickr -- Minus

Old 05-01-2008   #13
hugivza

"For the last roll I tried winding a bit past the start mark before I closed the back and got perfect spacing".

The best ideas are often the simplest - thanks for the "heads up"

Old 05-01-2008   #14
Wayno

I've got PC Headland to thank for that tip.

Old 05-02-2008   #15
furcafe

This must be 1 of those YMMV things. I've tried it, & while it helped a little, it wasn't enough to prevent slight overlapping on a few frames. I suppose it's possible my camera could use additional lubrication in the advance mechanism or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Yep, mine sometimes puts the frames very close or just touching. For the last roll I tried winding a bit past the start mark before I closed the back and got perfect spacing. The bit of extra backing paper seems to do the trick. This was recommended to me by somebody else who owns one.
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 05-05-2008   #16
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
This one was taken with an old Ikonta 520/2 with an uncoated 105/4.5 Tessar lens:
http://www.elekm.net/zeiss-ikon/american_club.html
Picture from Mike Elek's page: http://www.elekm.net/pages/cameras/ikonta520-2.htm

Once the picture is loaded in your browser, try to zoom to the maximum magnification and look at the sharpness in the corners of the frame

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Last edited by Abbazz : 05-05-2008 at 02:12.