Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha / NEX Mirrorless > Sony NEX APS-C format

Sony NEX APS-C format For the many Sony fixed lens digital compact cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

EVF dies, Sony says buy another
Old 01-13-2014   #1
steamer
Registered User
 
steamer's Avatar
 
steamer is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis via Tokyo
Age: 63
Posts: 961
EVF dies, Sony says buy another

The Electronic view finder for my NEX -5r has begun to split off at the to of the eye cup and the camera no longer reads it. Bought it a little over a year ago so warranty is toast.

Called Sony customer service to see if I could pay to get it repaired and they said just buy a new one it will cost you more to get it repaired.

So I guess I need to buy a new view finder every year, or learn to work with the outside display. I'm still quite happy with the camera. Am I wrong to hate Sony?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #2
robbeiflex
Registered User
 
robbeiflex's Avatar
 
robbeiflex is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 1,028
Planned obsolescence. That's a shame.
__________________
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #3
tycho
Registered User
 
tycho is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
I take it the camera is out of warranty. If you bought the camera with CC check with them, Amex has an automatic extended warranty, and depending on the card there are some that go out to 3 years. It's worth a shot.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #4
rjschell
Registered User
 
rjschell's Avatar
 
rjschell is offline
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 129
Sony is out to sell, not service. They refused to honor the warranty of a friend's RX1. The lens focus failed and they pointed to a small ding and claimed "customer misuse". The ding occurred months before the failure. It cost him $800 on a $2400 camera. Shameful!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #5
btgc
Registered User
 
btgc's Avatar
 
btgc is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,755
I still remember RFF's story with a compact Sony and how Sony handled that...tempting camera, not so with service....
__________________
MyFlickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #6
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist
 
semilog's Avatar
 
semilog is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,671
I had a similar experience with a Canon G9 at month 12.5.
__________________
There are two kinds of photographers:
those who are interested in what a particular camera can't do,
and those who are interested in what it can do.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #7
jpfisher
Registered User
 
jpfisher is offline
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ
Posts: 255
Probably best to look for someone offloading one used. The new Alpha 5000 drops the accessory port; so it's a dead-end product as far as future bodies go. Sony is squeezing out features of the lower-end mirrorless cameras, presumably pushing more advanced shooters (ie, those in want of an EVF and hybrid phase + contrast AF) to the NEX-6/whatever replaces it in the future.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #8
hellomikmik
Registered User
 
hellomikmik's Avatar
 
hellomikmik is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Suomi
Posts: 232
EVF is dead? Make a funeral, burry it, put lot of flowers on the grave, take a picture of people crying and let it go viral.

OK, I mean, sorry to hear it - never pleasant to have something gone, sentence above was a joke.

Just don't hate, hate is a useless luggage you have to carry with you around, drop it.
__________________
flexibility is life
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #9
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!
 
SolaresLarrave's Avatar
 
SolaresLarrave is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: DeKalb, IL, USA
Age: 59
Posts: 7,472
Before buying, check with your card and find out whether they offer something like repair warranty. I had a faulty M6TTL and my card financed the CLA (they sent me a check in exchange for an estimate, once they found out that the vendor was no longer in business and wouldn't do an exchange or anything else).
__________________
-Francisco
Check out
My Leica M4-2 Blog and/or
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #10
Addy101
Registered User
 
Addy101 is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,522
Maybe Sony US has a poor reputation, I am quite satisfied with the service I got from Sony in The Netherlands.
And yes, we live in a throw away society
__________________
Das Bild ist ein Modell der Wirklichkeit - Wittgenstein
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #11
Paul T.
Registered User
 
Paul T.'s Avatar
 
Paul T. is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,989
In the EU you'd be almost certain to get a replacement or repair within two years.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #12
steamer
Registered User
 
steamer's Avatar
 
steamer is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis via Tokyo
Age: 63
Posts: 961
Guess I need to check on my credit card to see if there is some kind of warranty. I don't look forward to shooting at arms length and focusing without the EVF, but as a problem, it's not exactly as dire as being eaten by a pack of wild dogs, is it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #13
Chris101
summicronia
 
Chris101's Avatar
 
Chris101 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
The Electronic view finder for my NEX -5r has begun to split off at the to of the eye cup and the camera no longer reads it. Bought it a little over a year ago so warranty is toast.

Called Sony customer service to see if I could pay to get it repaired and they said just buy a new one it will cost you more to get it repaired.

So I guess I need to buy a new view finder every year, or learn to work with the outside display. I'm still quite happy with the camera. Am I wrong to hate Sony?
It's never wrong to hate Sony. I have a c2006 60" plasma tv that Sony says they no longer will provide parts for.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #14
Addy101
Registered User
 
Addy101 is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
It's never wrong to hate Sony. I have a c2006 60" plasma tv that Sony says they no longer will provide parts for.
It is a TV that is over seven years old - what did you expect? It even is outdated technology

We live in a throw away society: Canon introduced the Canon EOS 1Ds in late 2002, but didn't bother with a driver for Windows Vista that was introduced in 2006 - only two years after the 1Ds was discontinued.....
__________________
Das Bild ist ein Modell der Wirklichkeit - Wittgenstein
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #15
Vince Lupo
Registered User
 
Vince Lupo's Avatar
 
Vince Lupo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,325
WWLD? (What would Leica do?)
__________________
Check Out Our Redesigned Website! http://www.directiononeinc.com

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #16
dogbunny
Registered Boozer
 
dogbunny's Avatar
 
dogbunny is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 熊本市, Japan
Posts: 563
More evidence that the Sony timer myth may be true.

The Sony Kill Switch

Haha.
__________________
Deserve your dream -- Octavio Paz
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014   #17
froyd
Registered User
 
froyd's Avatar
 
froyd is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,088
I'm no Sony fan boy, as a matter of fact, they are on a tie with Apple in my book for evil companies that love closed systems...However, having landed a free RX100 I could not turn it away just on principle, and the darned thing turns out some great pictures... still, a month after warranty a huge dust spot started to appear. Sony CS at first tried the same " time to buy a new one, or pay $400 for a cleaning" that they gave the OP, but upon some gentle pressuring, they agreed to carry out the repair for $65 including shipping.

If I were you I'd try again and ask for a courtesy fee given your warranty expired recently.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #18
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human
 
noisycheese is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,279
Thanks to all who have weighed in on this thread.

As for steamer, I am sorry to hear of your problems with your camera and of Sony's "it's not our problem" customer service attitude. No surprises there, though. Thinking back, I have read of more than a few instances of that from Sony. Their lack of customer friendly service after the sale seems to be in the process of becoming legendary.

I am considering buying a digital camera that I can use my M lenses on. Before reading this thread, it was down to a choice between the Fuji X Pro 1 and the Sony NEX 7. Guess which of these two cameras I will NOT be buying?? I am glad to have read this thread before I spent money on the NEX 7.

Sony, you are not doing yourself any favors.
__________________
The Leica M passion: From the inside it's hard to explain; from the outside it's hard to understand.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #19
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 3,898
Back when I was managing a camera shop in Philly in 2007-08, we had numerous Sony customers who couldn't get their cameras repaired. The issue was that Sony simply refused to do it, not that it was impossible. One camera, under an extended warranty, was refused by Sony and the only resolution to the issue was that we refunded the cost of the warranty and gave the customer a discount on a new camera (Canon, if I recall correctly) just to keep them shopping with us.
Sony may make a great product off-the-shelf but since my run-ins with their customer service a few years ago, I've written them off as a company I would patronize.

Phil Forrest
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #20
btgc
Registered User
 
btgc's Avatar
 
btgc is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
One camera, under an extended warranty, was refused by Sony and the only resolution to the issue was that we refunded the cost of the warranty and gave the customer a discount on a new camera (Canon, if I recall correctly) just to keep them shopping with us.
Refunded warranty, haha. It's like throwing binding contract out of window and saying they will pay for gasoline you burned to drive down five blocks and give you a free coffee.

Only way to cancel warranty I see is to refund full purchase - price of new camera plus warranty.
__________________
MyFlickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #21
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 3,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Refunded warranty, haha. It's like throwing binding contract out of window and saying they will pay for gasoline you burned to drive down five blocks and give you a free coffee.

Only way to cancel warranty I see is to refund full purchase - price of new camera plus warranty.
It was the shop owner's call, I was just following orders. I found it funny that Sony wouldn't repair the camera after their warranty expired but was under an extended one. I think they usually just replace the whole camera instead of repair it. Then the bad camera goes to a landfill.

Phil Forrest
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #22
GaryLH
Registered User
 
GaryLH's Avatar
 
GaryLH is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
Back when I was managing a camera shop in Philly in 2007-08, we had numerous Sony customers who couldn't get their cameras repaired. The issue was that Sony simply refused to do it, not that it was impossible. One camera, under an extended warranty, was refused by Sony and the only resolution to the issue was that we refunded the cost of the warranty and gave the customer a discount on a new camera (Canon, if I recall correctly) just to keep them shopping with us.
Sony may make a great product off-the-shelf but since my run-ins with their customer service a few years ago, I've written them off as a company I would patronize.

Phil Forrest
Hmmm. This one comment from someone who has dealt w/ Sony from a dealers perspective as opposed to a customer has convinced me to not buy anymore Sony cameras...

In a way.. U have just eliminated my potential GAS attack for the a7 or the rx10. While I still use the rx100, this will be the last Sony I plan to ever get. As good as Sony cameras are, if customer service is this bad, I can do w/o them.

I switched recently from AT&T wireless to t mobile just because of customer service attitude about we know better then u approach.

Thanks Phil
Gary
__________________
Panasonic LX100, Sigma Foveon, Fuji X and Panasonic CM1
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #23
btgc
Registered User
 
btgc's Avatar
 
btgc is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
It was the shop owner's call, I was just following orders. I found it funny that Sony wouldn't repair the camera after their warranty expired but was under an extended one. I think they usually just replace the whole camera instead of repair it. Then the bad camera goes to a landfill.

Phil Forrest
I'm for sure not blaming you. Right, replacing camera for new also is an option.
__________________
MyFlickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #24
lam
Dave
 
lam's Avatar
 
lam is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomikmik View Post
Just don't hate, hate is a useless luggage you have to carry with you around, drop it.
My sentiments, it's unfortunate yes, and none of us know the circumstances or conditions or anything yet we all voice our mass-hatred for ill appropriate customer service and generalizations for a brand which obviously is against the people.

Where's that thinking mans camera ad? apparently we all don't think.
__________________
website twitter
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #25
steamer
Registered User
 
steamer's Avatar
 
steamer is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis via Tokyo
Age: 63
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post

I switched recently from AT&T wireless to t mobile just because of customer service attitude about we know better then u approach.

Thanks Phil
Gary
Living in a parallel world, me too and I am so happy with T-mobile.

The company i work for is totally involved in providing customers with a good service experience. So I was so shocked with the "it's your fault, no we can't help you" attitude of both ATT and Sony.

They may be saving money in the short term but they aren't doing themselves any favors in the long run.

Too bad in the case of Sony, love their products but poor customer service experience and proprietary everything have put them off my list until i have enough money to throw down the drain without wincing.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #26
YYV_146
Registered User
 
YYV_146's Avatar
 
YYV_146 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Age: 32
Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
Thanks to all who have weighed in on this thread.

As for steamer, I am sorry to hear of your problems with your camera and of Sony's "it's not our problem" customer service attitude. No surprises there, though. Thinking back, I have read of more than a few instances of that from Sony. Their lack of customer friendly service after the sale seems to be in the process of becoming legendary.

I am considering buying a digital camera that I can use my M lenses on. Before reading this thread, it was down to a choice between the Fuji X Pro 1 and the Sony NEX 7. Guess which of these two cameras I will NOT be buying?? I am glad to have read this thread before I spent money on the NEX 7.

Sony, you are not doing yourself any favors.
I've used my M lense kit with both cameras - don't get either. The XP1's poor EVF makes it unfit for adapting manual lenses, you can't see where you're focused on. The shutter lag is also significant. On the other hand Almost all wide RF lenses will have purple corners on the NEX-7, I used to juggle between 4-5 Cornerfix profiles until I sold the worst culprits.

But on the whole I've had excellent service from Sony, in terms of servicing cameras, laptops, recorders and mics. I had to replace the shutter on my NEX-7 and Sony's turnaround was 2 weeks. They also fixed my out of warranty, badly damaged Vaio Z (which was purchased in Beijing, no less) in less than a month, nicely discussing repair options along the way. Charged $350 for a new screen, usb port, and two fans. Now I own a LOT of Sony stuff - the A7, two Vaios, a full outdoor recording system, monitor headphones...

I don't know why so many folks here have negative experience from Sony, but they strike me as a very responsible and approachable company...It probably varies with location, though.
__________________
Victor is too lazy for DSLRs

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #27
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,485
Expensive junk that can not be repaired. Cheap engineering drives this. When you try the best components, you get Leica pricing. Which way are you better off?

Sony is not a reputable company based on past experience. Minolta went broke. Crazy world.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #28
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!
 
pvdhaar's Avatar
 
pvdhaar is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Expensive junk that can not be repaired. Cheap engineering drives this. When you try the best components, you get Leica pricing. Which way are you better off?

Sony is not a reputable company based on past experience. Minolta went broke. Crazy world.
Leica clearly is no different than Sony: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=65175
__________________
Kind regards,

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #29
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
The EVF on nex-5n (r) is highly vulnerable. The crazy thing is they prolly would have fixed it if you were under warranty.

Mine is hammered, but still works. So I know it wasn't sony's fault.

It's the price of a very tiny camera with a highly technical (great) VF tacked on to the top all the time.

They are cheap used now. In perfect shape.

I just paid 155USD for a piece of overweight brass to hold my thumb on the M9 because the camera is in no way designed to be held by human hands. But I admit it is sexy as hell.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #30
thegman
Registered User
 
thegman is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 39
Posts: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
The Electronic view finder for my NEX -5r has begun to split off at the to of the eye cup and the camera no longer reads it. Bought it a little over a year ago so warranty is toast.

Called Sony customer service to see if I could pay to get it repaired and they said just buy a new one it will cost you more to get it repaired.

So I guess I need to buy a new view finder every year, or learn to work with the outside display. I'm still quite happy with the camera. Am I wrong to hate Sony?
What's to hate? The employees? The management? The shareholders? Or just the brand name? Fact is, a customer service agent gave you advice which he/she felt would save you some money.

I'd just buy another finder, maybe a used one if you want to save some money. Just because one failed in a year, does not mean the other will.
__________________
My Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #31
pakeha
Registered User
 
pakeha is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Pacific
Posts: 901
do what the majority do.
Complain and kick up a big fuss over a bad coffee- but don`t sweat the big stuff.
Fact..BTW
Consumers have become a bunch of slack jawed muppets
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014   #32
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!
 
pvdhaar's Avatar
 
pvdhaar is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Consumers have become a bunch of slack jawed muppets
Just went to look in the mirror and check, and guess what? Green with pop-out eyes and a funny voice
__________________
Kind regards,

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:04.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.