Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole /

Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Dedicated to Lomo (NOT the same as Lomography) / Diana, Holga and Pinhole and photography. Not recommended for those endlessly obsessing over the sharpest lens.

Old 05-08-2019   #81
Barry Kirsten

Don't know what happened here. Text posted but without pics... Better luck this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Country Cemetery pslr web copy.jpg (28.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 5x12 camera web copy.jpg (129.0 KB, 13 views)

Old 05-11-2019   #82
jkcampbell

WWPD 2019 - Grain Bins, Anoka, MN
Zero Image 6x12, Ektar 100 color film converted to B&W

Old 05-11-2019   #83
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
Don't know what happened here. Text posted but without pics... Better luck this time.
Lovely image (and camera too!), Barry! I'm guessing dental film doesn't come with the usual paper backing ... or even on standard rolls? How easy is it to use?

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 05-11-2019   #84
Barry Kirsten

Hi Kevin, thanks for the comment. Dental panoramic film comes in sheets. These are 5x12 inches and my batch expired in 2009. It appears that the current replacement for this film from both Kodak and others is 6x12 inches. For me 5x12 is great because it cuts down to 3 sheets of 4x5 with only two cuts so I can use it in my view camera and 4x5 pinhole when I make it.

I've found it a dream to use. It's the only x-ray film I've used but I haven't had any contrast issues that people have reported with some other types of x-ray film. It's double sided, having emulsion on both sides and therefore twice the potential problem of scratching. But I handle it very carefully and develop it on sheets of glass in the bottom of my trays, with little problem.

It's orthochromatic so doesn't see red light and can therefore be loaded and developed under red safelight. I rate it at ISO 80 and develop it in any standard developer with times typical for similarly rated b&w film; for example 8 min in PMK 1+2+100, 12 min in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100, and a friend of mine uses Rodinal 1+50 for 7 min.

Some people use bleach to strip the emulsion from one side of double sided x-ray film, but I don't, and couldn't imagine anything more messy to try. The practice seems to be going out of fashion as there seems to be little gain in sharpness. Later today I'll dig out a 4x5 neg on this film and scan it so you can judge its tonal qualities and sharpness in a lens camera.

Old 05-11-2019   #85
Barry Kirsten

This is basically a straight scan from a piece of Kodak Dental Panoramic x-ray film cut down to 4x5. Test shot rated at ISO 50 developed in PMK 8 min at 20 degrees C, pretty much spot-on for both exposure and development. As I don't have a 4x5 scanner this is a stitched image of two scans made on an Epson V600 and joined in PS. The image was sharpened a little as the neg had to be placed flat on the glass. No other adjustments to exposure, contrast etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ute xray stitched lr.jpg (47.8 KB, 10 views)

Old 05-20-2019   #86
jkcampbell

Another one with the Zero Image 6x12, Coon Rapids Dam, Coon Rapids, MN

Old 06-01-2019   #87
jkcampbell

Anoka Grain and Feed Store, Anoka, MN
Abelson Scopeworks Cuboid 6x6