Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Fixed Lens 35mm RF

Fixed Lens 35mm RF This forum is dedicated to the numerous and popular fixed lens rangefinders, including but not limited to the Canon Canonets, Konica III and S series, Minoltas, Ricohs, Vivitars, and so many others. Note fixed lens Olympus , Yashicas, Argus and Retina have separate forums.

A Canonet with Zeiss Glass?
Old 02-16-2007   #1
erikhaugsby
killer of threads

A Canonet with Zeiss Glass?

Sorry in advance for the vagueness in the story.

So my World History teacher revealed himself to be a kind of photography buff a few weeks back when he brought in a few cases of Kodachrome slides and his Canonet QL17 (dressed nicely in a duct-tape covered NRC). I played around with it and in doing so noticed that on the front bezel instead of proclaiming the Canon glass inside the lens, there was instead written Zeiss.
The lens was a 40mm f/1.7 like 'normal' Canonets, but when considering that it very clearly had Zeiss glass I'm prodding you if any of you know about the pedigree of this camera? Shutter speeds, apertures, focusing were all the same as other QL17s I've held, and the entirety of the body was identical.

I just cannot get over that Zeiss glass--where did it come from?

as I haven't seen it for weeks I don't know the serial number and don't have any pictures of it. Sorry bout that.

Old 02-19-2007   #2
Jeremy Z

That, or it isn't a Canonet, and you can't tell because it's covered in duct tape.

Jeremy's collection