Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 12-26-2008   #41
mcgrattan
-

I'm exactly like Keith. I buy nice notebooks, but never use them [for photography notes] or I end up using scrap paper, or my notes are incomplete, fragmented and full of mistakes.

I do use Moleskines for other things, though. I don't find the paper a problem, but only some fountain pen ink works with it. I like them because they are bound and so I don't lose sheets out of them [or tear sheets out and then lose them]. I'm not especially in love with the marketing or the price, so I buy other brands too if I find them cheaply.

Old 12-30-2008   #42
Hopscotch
Wannabe

I religiously write down my exposures. I became so used to just using the TTL on my SLR, that I couldn't really function when I got my Leica M4. I started using an exposure chart and a light meter and religiously writing down everything, conditions, etc.

I write in a moleskine Cahier notebook, which goes in my back pocket with a pen.
It sticks out a little from the pocket and people see how cool I am because I write things. (haha!)

It has really helped. There are times when I used to process film abe be like "what the hell was my exposure!?" and now I just look it up from my pocket. It's a pain sometimes. I was at a hockey game last night and missed a goal because i was writing down some expsoures I shot of the guy sitting next to me. Apparently it was a sick goal.

It's got it's ups and downs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skine 1.jpg (15.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Skine 2.jpg (23.2 KB, 63 views)

Old 12-30-2008   #43
jody36

I use several I got the small ones. Use them for photo info or just to write stuff when I what to. They fit in bag and are also good to jot down phone no.s and addresses. Just what ever u need to keep up with.

Old 12-31-2008   #44
kuvvy

I'm too easily influenced by you lot! After following this thread I bought a Notebook and a couple of Volant pocket books. Probaly be used for ideas, thoughts etc rather than exposure details.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 12-31-2008   #45
crawdiddy
qu'est-ce que c'est?

As I commented earlier, I like the concept, but find the moleskine cover has split along the spine, after using for one year. I'll be switching to another brand.

Old 01-04-2009   #46
dave lackey

Just returned from Barnes and Noble bookstore and noticed that their Moleskine prices range from $7.95 to $10.95 for the small pocket hardback size. The three notebook (soft side) smaller versions are $5.95.

Along with keeping the data about each frame...I really like the pocket in back to keep a few business cards, exposure chart, money (what is that?), etc. Too many times I have been caught out without a business card.

Dave

Old 02-03-2009   #47
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Just returned from Barnes and Noble bookstore and noticed that their Moleskine prices range from $7.95 to $10.95 for the small pocket hardback size. The three notebook (soft side) smaller versions are $5.95.

I was just at B&N with my daughter and near the checkout line I spotted the rack of Moleskin Notebooks...All kinds of different little notebooks one would have to pay attention when picking one out...I almost bought one but at the last second decided not to...They are a bit pricey for what they are...
I'll checkout Borders next...right now I'm using notepad paper folded in half and stapled...
I mostly write down exposure info when shooting LF stuff or when testing for any reason...I know I'll never remember what I shot at...

The smaller ones that came 3 in a pack caught my eye too...
pf

Old 02-03-2009   #48
marke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post

The smaller ones that came 3 in a pack caught my eye too...
Those are very handy. I bought a 3-pack last year so I'd have one in every camera bag I use.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 02-03-2009   #49
amateriat
We're all light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenner View Post
If you're into it, why not get you a laser etched moleskine here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5583107
Link seems to be broken, for what it's worth.

From Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns

Whatever strange pangs I might get at the mention of a laser-etched Moleskine cover (like Mr. Wayne above–that'a my middle name, BTW–I can get strange pangs late at night) my favorite book for scribbling in is made by Excompta, via Clairfontaine, but rather tough to get hold of. Son, in its stead, I go for the pint-sized Rhodia pads, which happen to be quite fountain-pen-friendly.

Rhodia pad, with client-gifted Parker Sonnet fountain pen (1st-gen).

Moleskines are neat and keen, but I've heard that QC can be a bit hit-or-miss. Clairfontaine and Rhodia haven't missed a beat yet with me, and I'm getting set to try a few books from these relative upstarts.

These things always come in handy, even when there's a PDA or PowerBook within my reach. When needfulness becomes standard operating procedure, notions of "obsolescence" go straight out the window.

- Barrett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TDN.jpg (40.9 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg rhodiaparker.jpg (26.8 KB, 317 views)

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 02-04-2009   #50
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I just picked up my very first Moleskine...can't wait to got out shooting soon...my photography should get better...right???
pf

Old 02-09-2009   #51
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
I just picked up my very first Moleskine...can't wait to got out shooting soon...my photography should get better...right???
Well, that of course depends on which one you decided: plain, ruled, squares ... ? And what type of pen you use. That in combination with the square root of the lp/mm resolution of your handwriting is directly proportional to the expected increase of your quality as a photographer. Get out there and shoot .

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 10-18-2016   #52
mikepadua

Hello all, I've created a notebook that I designed specifically for film photographers. I used fairly sturdy paper since it's meant to be in the field and small enough to be carried in pockets and bags. You can check them out here: http://shootfilmco.com/collections/f...mo-book-2-pack

Old 10-18-2016   #53
irukandji

I use a couple of notebooks daily, both for work and personal. Recently I have been using a Baron Fig Confidant for work but a local art supply has these Fabriano A5 Glue Edge notebooks (~90 pg version) and I have really enjoyed using them--they're less than $5 each!

I particularly like the paper quality and these really do open flat! Give them a look if you use notebooks frequently.

Old 10-18-2016   #54
lxmike
Barnack fan

funny enough just bought myself a moleskine notebook last week

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5

Old 10-18-2016   #55
mad mike

I have used Moleskine noteboks for many years and for many purposes. I am of an age when memory is getting dim so I bear in mind the words of a wise older man "a blunt pencil beats a sharp memory any day". I buy the cahirs online from the Book Depository.com at significant saving.

Old 10-18-2016   #56
benlees

Moleskine are great. Completely overpriced with sketchy quality but happily they make an excellent gift/regift so paying for them is often a moot point!

All my developing and printing history is in a stack of them bound with rubber bands. Encyclopedia Roomdarka...

Old 10-18-2016   #57
danielsterno
making soup from mud

moleskin fan-one for film, others for journal/larger for drawings. Film: like others, ive recorded every roll from the 1st ive done, number each roll and write # on the roll sent to lab who write the number on the envelope, record date, if pushed info, lens, and each frame exe info occasionally for certain reasons, some time record lighting info....
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100F

flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-18-2016   #58
robbeiflex

Plain black moleskin, write down the date, camera, film, ISO, and in some cases lens or lenses, leave some space to write down main subjects/events and/or development notes in case of push/pull/something to learn or remember. Roughly four or five rolls per page. A few euros for multiple years of recording what I did, and what I learned. Free in case of corporate gifts (2 in the queue) that are adequately close to moleskin, but I like the cover texture of the original.

Cheers,
Rob
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 10-18-2016   #59
ckuwajima
Celso

I tried to use Moleskine, but did not fit well with my hybrid analog/scan/LR workflow. I prefer to record voice notes on my smartphone and then transcript and tag scanned photos in Adobe Lightroom.
I guess digital is still my first nature.

Old 10-18-2016   #60
it'sawhat?

Guess I just don't get it , I find the 4x6 paperback bound memo books perfectly fine for photographic needs 2 for a dollar and a cheap pentel pen does what i need and leaves money for film.

Old 10-18-2016   #61
Daryl J.

There are two Moleys in my camera bag of different sizes. The larger O's for observations and for lessons learned. The other is camera-specific and is labeled. So, depending upon what's in my bag, the associated pocket-sized Moley is along.

I love em.

Old 10-18-2016   #62
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Wow, I first responded to this thread eight years ago!

I no longer use Moleskines, or any other paper notebooks.

As many of you know, I suffered a small stroke three years ago that left the right side of my body weakened. I have difficulty writing with a pen or pencil since I am right handed, and my right hand doesn't have the fine motor skills needed to manipulate a pen anymore.

I can still type fairly well on my computer, so now I'm using a software app called Evernote, which is journaling or note-taking software. It works great, and lets me read and update my notes on my computer or my tablet. Adding, deleting, or changing a note on one device automatically syncs to the others. The really cool thing is that I can put the photos I took in each note so I can see the actual images I am writing about!

I keep notes of the dates, locations, and equipment used. When I shoot film, I put that info in, as well.

Old 10-19-2016   #63
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepadua View Post
Hello all, I've created a notebook that I designed specifically for film photographers. I used fairly sturdy paper since it's meant to be in the field and small enough to be carried in pockets and bags. You can check them out here: http://shootfilmco.com/collections/f...mo-book-2-pack
These are great!! I bought a couple. You should put them in the classifieds, more people will see them there. I tweeted about them to some of my pen-and-notebook internet contacts. You should definitely send some of these to Ed Jelley—he's the consummate notebook and camera guy, and perhaps he'll review them.

I'm not a fan of the Moleskines; the paper is a little rough for my use (often, fountain pens). I'm fond of the Rhodia books and also Field Notes.

Old 10-19-2016   #64
jarski

nice photo notebook, mikepadua!

Old 10-19-2016   #65
Robert Lai

Someone here on RFF was selling them, so I bought a couple of Moleskins. I find that fountain pen ink goes right through the page, and prints through so that you can't write on the back side of the page.

What has been most useful for me has been the ruled notepads that Staples sells. They are very cheap, and the paper takes ink well. No cover, but I don't need it since it's usually in a briefcase.

Old 10-19-2016   #66
jarski

am having trouble using Moleskine and other classy looking notebooks. for one, they look too pristine for me to mess them up. second, I would not know whats "worthy" for me to jot down into those clean pages waiting for next Picasso or HCB. third, my perseverance usually lasts keeping notes for two or three pages and then I run out of steam. and fourth, writing in hand is quite laborious these days

sad to say but non-romantic digital just works better for my note keeping.

Old 10-21-2016   #67
mikepadua

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
These are great!! I bought a couple. You should put them in the classifieds, more people will see them there. I tweeted about them to some of my pen-and-notebook internet contacts. You should definitely send some of these to Ed Jelley—he's the consummate notebook and camera guy, and perhaps he'll review them.

I'm not a fan of the Moleskines; the paper is a little rough for my use (often, fountain pens). I'm fond of the Rhodia books and also Field Notes.
Thanks! I will check him out. Please let me know what you think of the notebooks when you get them!

Old 10-21-2016   #68
MrFujicaman

I use 3.5 by 5.5 inch plastic covered notebooks from Dollar Tree-not as good as a Moleskin, and I have to glue the spine with silicone caulk and clamp it for a while but for the price they are okay. I've since found a flea market vendor that has similar notebooks with a sewn binding (lasts longer) for a buck. They have imprinting on the cover,but for $1 I'll deal with it.

For exposure notes, I carry a 5 by 7 plastic covered notebook from Dollar Tree in each camera bag.

Old 10-21-2016   #69
Out to Lunch

I do love notebooks but the moleskin ones are ridiculously overpriced.

Old 10-21-2016   #70
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Luechttrum here. Nicer paper.

Old 10-21-2016   #71
Saul
fighting inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
I do love notebooks but the moleskin ones are ridiculously overpriced.
At least you can take comfort in knowing it's the same admission price to all club members.

Old 10-21-2016   #72
Bob
Leica M User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Luechttrum here. Nicer paper.
LEUCHTTURM

Numbered pages too !
Overall I agree with Bob, nicer paper, and better quality overall !
And, less expensive !.

https://www.amazon.com/Leuchtturm-Me.../dp/B002CVAU1Y

Old 10-21-2016   #73
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
LEUCHTTURM
But much harder to spell than moleskin.

Old 10-21-2016   #74
lukitas
second hand noob

Moleskine. Overpriced, over hyped and under par; cheap paper in a fashionable jacket; Designed in Italy, 'inspired' by the notebooks Bruce Chatwin used, but you cannot use a fountain pen on the damn things. Mass produced in China and Turkey. About as authentic as a Beetle made to look like a Bugatti.
Had to get that of my chest.

Gallery

photos by lukitas

Old 10-21-2016   #75
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukitas View Post
Moleskine. Overpriced, over hyped and under par; cheap paper in a fashionable jacket; Designed in Italy, 'inspired' by the notebooks Bruce Chatwin used, but you cannot use a fountain pen on the damn things. Mass produced in China and Turkey. About as authentic as a Beetle made to look like a Bugatti.
Had to get that of my chest.

When the Moleskine notebooks were first introduced, they were actually made in Italy and were better quality than they are now. They were worth the money back then, but the manufacturer got greedy and shipped production to slave sweatshops in China, as so many companies do these days.

Old 10-21-2016   #76
sara

Moleskine user here, everyday, every year, forever! (Because designer lol)🙋🏻

I use the yearly organisers because I like their layout which I can't seem to find in other yearly notebooks. Yes, they are "overpriced", I've seen emerging alternates out there.

But just get something you're likely to keep? I've bought other notebooks before but never liked the paper/too thick/too thin etc.

Old 10-21-2016   #77
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepadua View Post
I took a look at these, and they look pretty nice for a film photographer to use to record exposure data, developing method, scanning presets, etc.
Plus, paper seems, er, on paper at least, like higher quality than some of the more expensive notebooks being talked about out here, especiaally for using fountain pens. Maybe. If you are going to do that. I know I am sporadic about it, but it helps my photograaphy when I am good about keeping notes.

Main thing, for me at any rate, is this is being produced by a photographer, for photographers, so maybe a bit of "let's support our own" enters into it, for me. I don't think moleskine cares about us so much, plus the cover on those is a lot nicer than the paper.

Old 10-21-2016   #78
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Field Notes brand pocket notebooks. A different set every quarter. Outstanding craftsmanship. Their slogan: I'm not writing it down to remember it later, I'm writing it down to remember it now.

-~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 10-22-2016   #79
al1966
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
When the Moleskine notebooks were first introduced, they were actually made in Italy and were better quality than they are now. They were worth the money back then, but the manufacturer got greedy and shipped production to slave sweatshops in China, as so many companies do these days.
Yes, I try to get things from places where I have some idea that the workers are well paid and treated properly. So with bags I tend to stick to Billingham and Domke, in clothes shops I look out for the made in labels and so on. A lot of it is not so much that the workers are paid a low wage in many cases its relative to where they are but a lot of the factory conditions are dangerous for them and they are forced to work long hours frequently with no OT. I have heard of some garment factories where they wont even allow toilet breaks. Hope this is not too off topic apologies if it is.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-22-2016   #80
robert blu
quiet photographer

Sometimes Moleskine, sometimes other brands (Fabriano, Canson because I like to sketch as well) here, I'm not very loyal to a specific brand.

But I'm not able to take technical notes (aperture, shutter speed act) when photographing. I simply do not manage it. I need to keep myself connected to the subject, situation, environment I am in and the emotions this produce on myself.

If I stop to take a note I loose this connection and the photography action get damaged.
I guess it's only my own limitation.

What I do oft after the shooting, back home or in a hotel when traveling I take note of the emotion of that particular day, or moment. When I manage I add a quick sketch about it (but I'm not very good in doing it). Because mostly I shoot film when later I'll have the photos in my hands I like to compare the pictures and the notes.

Just my to cents.

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF