Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

What are the best current used digital camera deals from the past?
Old 08-11-2018   #1
jsrockit

What are the best current used digital camera deals from the past?

Let's call the past ...prior to 2012. Which digital cameras are currently a steal on the used market for what they can still offer?

I'll throw 2 out there to start... the original Canon 5D and the original Fujifilm X100. Both are less than $300.

Old 08-11-2018   #2
Saul
fighting inertia

Nikon's D700

Old 08-11-2018   #3
Larry Cloetta

Fujifilm S5 Pro. I don’t see anything else matching the specs of this camera for dynamic range and color fidelity for such little money. World’s best dead end sensor technology.

Old 08-11-2018   #4
bayernfan

original ricoh gr digital series (pre aps-c). particularly the grd1.

Old 08-11-2018   #5
RObert Budding

Nikon D700

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 08-11-2018   #6
Skiff

Nikon D700, D3, D3x and D3s.
Deliver more than enough in 99,5% of all shooting situations. Instead of buying a new camera, you can use the saved money for excellent lenses. Or nice travels and making photographs.

For film:
Nikon F100, F4 and F5 are currently completely underrated and extremely cheap.
Same is valid for Canon EOS 1N and 1V, EOS 3 and 30V / 33V.
Minolta Dynax 7 and 9.
Leica R4, R5, R7.
And Mamiya 645 Pro(TL).

Old 08-11-2018   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I sold 5D then 5D MK II, but keeping and using 500D. It is at the computer desk and ready. My wife is using it at P mode now, but I'm keeping * for focus enabled.
In 2009 it was 1K$ for open box deal, it is something like 100$ now. It is ISO 12800, better than 5D ISO 3200 camera.

Old 08-11-2018   #8
shawn

Ditto to x100, D700 and S5Pro. Would also add the Panasonic GF1. I've seen them for about $50-$60. That paired with the 14 or 20mm made a great little camera.

Anyone considering the x100 make sure you get it from a place with a return policy. It took 3 tries before I got one without the sticky aperture blade problem. To test for that set it to f5.6 or f8 and take 10 or 20 of the exact same shot in single drive mode. If exposure varies between the series (some over exposed) it has the SAB problem.

Shawn

Old 08-11-2018   #9
jsrockit

The D700 is still pretty expensive though... compared to something like the 5D.

Old 08-11-2018   #10
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

The Ricoh GXR, read here on how it can be a budget alternative for a Leica Monochrom

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 08-11-2018   #11
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
The D700 is still pretty expensive though... .
Yep........

Old 08-11-2018   #12
benlees

Not sure when the X Pro 1 came out, but those are quite inexpensive these days.

Old 08-11-2018   #13
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
The D700 is still pretty expensive though... compared to something like the 5D.
Yes, because it's still a great camera. I sold mine for a D750 because I needed better low light performance and AF. I often wish that Nikon had stayed with the layout of the D700 . . .

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 08-11-2018   #14
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

D2Xs. D2Hs if you can find one.
Phil Forrest

Old 08-11-2018   #15
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I always liked the images from the old Olympus E 1 camera.

It is now a hopelessly out dated 5mp camera but its 4/3 CCD sensor made pleasant looking image that look unique with the passage of time.

Old 08-11-2018   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
Not sure when the X Pro 1 came out, but those are quite inexpensive these days.
Yep, any old Fuji... X-E1, X-E2, X-T10, X-Pro1, etc... all great deals.

Old 08-11-2018   #17
Fjäll

The Sigma Merrill cameras

Old 08-11-2018   #18
JP Owens

The Fuji Xe2 is still a good camera. The Canon 5D classic produces wonderful images, but lacks micro adjustment for lenses. Deal breaker for me, sadly. I also like the Canon 50D. Fast and responsive. And I owned an Olympus E-10 when it first came out. That sensor produced great color images within its limited ISO range.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

It depends on your subject
Old 08-11-2018   #19
Tim Murphy

It depends on your subject

Dear jsrockit,

Like I said it really does depend on what you shoot.

I shoot birds and wildlife almost exclusively.

I own a Canon 1DMK2, a Canon 1DMK3, a Canon EOS 40D, a Canon T2i, and a Nikon D300. I don't have $ 1500 wrapped up in all of them combined and I'll never wear any of them out. They may fail and break, but they are far from being worn out and hammered.

To me at least, this thread is somewhat like Bill Pierce's thread from a couple of days ago? There is no doubt in my mind that there are many cameras available that far exceed the capability of my cameras. But I don't come close to exceeding the capability of my cameras so I'm all good.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 08-12-2018   #20
willie_901

The D300 is about $300 now (KEH). The D300 sensor is more than adequate and the AF is essentially identical to the D700.

If you can stand the Nikon DX AF lenses (I can't), third-party alternatives or cope with focusing AIS lenses (I can't since Nikon hates people who prefer manual focus), the D300 is $200 to $300 less than a D700.

I owned the X100 and X-Pro 1 but I can't recommend them because their CPUs and firmware are a bit sluggish. The X100S is about $500 while the X-Pro 1 is less than $400 (no lens though). The XE-2 is $350 and faster. Alas, it does not have an OVF.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-12-2018   #21
Contarama

Df can be had less than 1500.

600, like NT says, is a lot of camera for little money.

5300 is a great deal for the cinema inclined. 5200 & 7100 have the Toshiba sensors supposedly nice for video. Both great deals.

5D and 7D great deals.

S5 Pro is simply classic. I predict some day they will bring more than they do now. White roll off is the special power of this camera - a perfect case of why sensors matter. My opinion. If I wanted a dedicated monochrome shooter it would probably be this one.

Old 08-12-2018   #22
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
Nikon's D700
+1 on the D700. Or if 2012 is inclusive, a D600 with caveats. D600 is a camera that is produced to modern resolution specs and one of the smallest/lightest FF DSLRs and (imo) produced to professional standards that's both weather sealed and has dual card slots. However, it did have well-publicized real producion issues. Therefore, I'd get a used body only from a reputable retailer with a return policy, and only if you're willing to send your camera to Nikon under its service advisory should the "oil spot" issue rear its ugly head, which hasn't happend in the two bodies I have.

Yes, I've already posted about the D600 extensively.

I'd say any good condition FF body with a min of 12 MP. I believe some Canons fall into this category as well. Now that there is an ample supply of older FF bodies available at or above 12 MP in good used condition, I would shoot these before any crop sensor (and certainly smaller sensored) camera regardless of size/weight including new ones.

It's nice to -- at long last, have 35mm film image quality and rendering restored at affordable prices in the used marketplace. No crop factor, your 50mm lens (or whatever) is the 50mm you've spent a lifetime shooting (not a pseudo-not-quite-portrait or weird/useless short tele focal length) -- and restored is the sense of depth and dimension that comes with a lens focusing an image on the larger 35mm/full frame image plane and at resolution rates comprable to 35mm film.

It was a long time comin'.

Old 08-12-2018   #23
Archlich

The D800 and D800e are pretty good deals too, if you need the resolution.

Old 08-12-2018   #24
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I still have my Olympus E-1 because it is still one of the finest DSLRs ever made, and my personal favorite, even though it's worth next to nothing to sell nowadays.

Olympus E-1 + ZD11-22mm + ZD35 Macro + ZD50-200mm + ZD 1.4x extender is a complete system. Superb photographs.

G

Old 08-12-2018   #25
Dogman

I have to admit I've been tempted by the prices of the original and Mk II Canon 5D. I still have a few Canon primes left from the film days so I could put one to good use. But full frame just doesn't have much appeal for me these days. I can't see myself ever wanting to lug around a DSLR again.

Up until I totally switched to Fuji equipment, I used a couple of Olympus E620 bodies as lightweight alternatives to Canon. The E620 is certainly dated but it's still very useful and Olympus has some excellent lenses. The E-series Olympus bodies and lenses are selling at pretty much giveaway prices.

Old 08-12-2018   #26
JeffS7444

I think the best deals are much newer, like a refurbished late-model Canon Rebel with 2 lenses and a Canon USA warranty for $280. Oh yes those sorts of deals do crop up periodically.

In full-frame bodies, the earlier Sony A7 variants are a bargain, and I think the Sony E mount is a pretty safe bet going forward.

Old 08-12-2018   #27
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Frankly, I really like the resolution of 24MPx. 12MPx is OK, 6 no longer cuts it for me.

D300 is a great 12MPx camera. Since 4/3 has totally shifted to micro 4/3, I wonder about the 10 and 12MPx Olympus 4/3 cameras. Perhaps the 520 or 620, just speculating, never shot one. I did get great images from an E-330, but as one of the first cameras with live-view, it was a bit quirky.

Also, FWIW, sony NEX-5n and 5T are quite cheap these days. Even the A6000 at 24MPx isn't that expensive and it's great with Sony lenses, great for adapting ANY legacy glass.

Thanks for the question. Interesting.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 08-12-2018   #28
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
I think the best deals are much newer, like a refurbished late-model Canon Rebel with 2 lenses and a Canon USA warranty for $280. Oh yes those sorts of deals do crop up periodically.
Right, but those are bargain cameras to begin with that get cheaper. I think what I was looking for here were cameras that were once expensive or top of their class and now are still useful, but "cheap."

Old 08-12-2018   #29
gavinlg

I would say absolutely:

- 5d mk1 - first affordable full frame camera, still astonishing IQ. D700 came afterwards.

- Epson R-d1 - first digital rangefinder. Nuff said.

- x100 series

Old 08-13-2018   #30
aizan

pentax k-5
phase one p25+

Old 08-13-2018   #31
dee

i second Fuji -

mid 2016 New boxed X-Pro1 body £168 [ plus new 27 @ £150 ]
mid 2017 - Returned no accessories X-M1 16-50 plus battery etc - £196 .
[Wanted the zoom for the X-Pro1]
Two months ago - sheer indulgence - X-T1 18-55 £427 OK more expensive but I like the SLR style.

I don't know what it is with these 1st generation Fujis shedding value , but I love 'em !
They are like real cameras not those rounded , bulky DSLRs !

I am probably sorted , but will keep looking , maybe in a year or two that X-Pro2 in the same store might hit clearance LOL.

dee
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 08-13-2018   #32
nickthetasmaniac

Olympus E3/E5 - bombproof weather sealed body, decent IQ if you don't push the ISO, and access to the exceptional Zuiko Digital lenses (which can be had silly cheap now that Four Thirds is officially dead)...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 08-13-2018   #33
David Hughes
David Hughes

Another vote for the E-10 right through to the E-5 and all those gorgeous lenses.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Hughes : 08-13-2018 at 04:39. Reason: The usual extra CRLF's...

Old 08-13-2018   #34
Peter_S

Leica X1.
Mamiya 645AF with older MF backs.
--------------------------
www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 08-13-2018   #35
mich rassena

Micro 4/3 cameras are selling at a fraction of their original cost. At least than $100 (on KEH anyway), they're quite a bargain since they support interchangeable lenses, and auto-exposure with both native and adapted lenses.

Old 08-13-2018   #36
Fraser

nikon d200, d300 or d700.
Canon 5dmk1 or mk2, 1dmk2 or Mk3.

Old 08-13-2018   #37
B-9
Devin Bro

Nikon D3 amazing camera under 1000$
Nikon D300s a steal for under 300$ dual card slots and video!

Ricoh GRIV, best bang for your buck compact!

Canon 1Ds/5D full frame for under 500$!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 08-13-2018   #38
Steve M.

If you shoot B&W digital, to me there's only one choice. Considering the price and image quality, it's a bargain....the Epson R-D1.

I've stayed with film because I like the look and the selection of all the different films (and the excellent image quality, but let's not go there on a post about digital cameras), but if I DID shoot digital it would have to be the Epson. The files I've seen look much better than anything else out there in the digital B&W realm, and that includes all the latest and greatest uber expensive Leicas, Fujis, Canons, whatever. I don't know whether it's due to the sensor or software/hardware, but these cameras get the job done.

Old 08-13-2018   #39
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Very happy to see that in 38 replies, I was the only one mentioning the Ricoh GXR.
Now, to wait until the prices drop drastically and I'll get myself one once again...

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 08-13-2018   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

I may do this too, Johan.
Once, I was about to buy such a camera.

http://raid.smugmug.com/