Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

If you carried a Nikon F3 and Leica M6..
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Ccoppola82

If you carried a Nikon F3 and Leica M6..

If you carried a Leica M6 and a Nikon F3 at the same time and wanted to load one with color film and one with BW, which would you put into what camera? Or would it not matter? Iíve lately really enjoyed using the Nikon F3 and I had the rare occasion both cameras were empty at the same time, so it was a question that came to mind. Iíve tended to have color film loaded into the Nikon

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
mcfingon
Western Australia

Somehow I associate the Nikon with colour and the Leica with B&W. Most of the colour negs and slides I shot in the past were on a Nikon FE2, and now most of the B&W I shoot is on my M6. No logical reason or scientific evidence though...
John Mc

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

Depends on the lens. For example I much prefer the colour rendition of my Zeiss Biogon C 35mm so would put colour in the Leica.

Just don't keep doing a switcheroo, I once shot an entire roll of black and white film in my Leica R7 thinking it was colour, and the results were decidedly unsatisfactory.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoppola82 View Post
If you carried a Leica M6 and a Nikon F3 at the same time and wanted to load one with color film and one with BW, which would you put into what camera? Or would it not matter? Iíve lately really enjoyed using the Nikon F3 and I had the rare occasion both cameras were empty at the same time, so it was a question that came to mind. Iíve tended to have color film loaded into the Nikon
I so rarely shoot color with film any more ... and always did shoot about 80-90% B&W even back when film was all there was ... that it's really hard to say. Both cameras do a superb job with either, so I'd choose what camera to use with color based on what I was going to shoot and which camera would be best for that.

I've gotten terrific results with both cameras on color film.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
jja

One important consideration is your metering needs (coverage and accuracy). I believe the F3 has a semi-spot meter patch, compared to the larger patch of the M6, so if you are shooting color slide, and you are trying to get particular parts of a scene metered accurately, then the F3 might be the better camera to load with color slide film. I do agree that the lens matters a lot. If there's a particular lens you own that does well with either color or B&W, then the lens dictates the film.

My RFF Gallery

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Huss

I don't think it matters but it would look very cool. Both are sweet lumps.

Hmm, I would do this. Who is your favourite Leica and Nikon photog and what was their main film?

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
mpaniagua

Probably would go Nikon for color and Leica for B/W. Both are equally good on either film, but somehow seems more appropriate that Leica gets the b/w.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Alex1416

I would choose the same as some above.

The metering on the F3 is really good and has given me perfect exposures on color film. Also, some lenses for Leica translate beautifully for B&W film with natural contrast and sharpness such as the 40mm Summicron and Summaron 35/2.8.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
jim_jm

The F3 is the first camera I would grab for color film, especially slides. Something about that 80/20 center-weighted meter for me has always been incredibly accurate. I've put hundreds of rolls of Velvia and Provia thru 2 different F3 bodies and have rarely had any difficulties with exposure. Might just be the way I shoot that works well with that heavy center-weighted meter.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja View Post
One important consideration is your metering needs (coverage and accuracy). I believe the F3 has a semi-spot meter patch, compared to the larger patch of the M6 ...
The Nikon F3 meter pattern uses the same 13mm circle as the FM and FE series models. Nikon uses a centerweighted pattern and the weighting is 85/15 from center to edge in the F3 compared to the F/F2/FM/FE 60/40 weighting. (Yeah, I know the spec says it is 80/20, but measurements with a point light source on my F3 established quite conclusively that it was actually 85/15 weighting. I did the testing because I was curious that my FM and FE cameras gave different readings when pointed to the same scene with the same lens...)

The M6 meter pattern is a limited area pattern, not a centerweighted pattern... It reads the central white spot on the shutter curtain that's about 12mm diameter, so has a more well-defined cutoff than the Nikon F3.

In truth, and for all practical purposes, they respond so similarly there's hardly any difference between them in use.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Huss

I’ve found the metering on my m7 and F3 cameras to both be excellent and so that would not determine film use. I assume the meter in the m6 is as good as the m7.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DanskDynamit

(facepalm)

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
BillBingham2

Another F3 Color / M6 B&W.

The finder on the F3 I find better for evaluating the colors and their impact than the M6.

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Ccoppola82

Spoiled for choices. I’m actually surprised how much I enjoy shooting the F3. I think I’ll stick mostly color film through it like I’ve been doing. My Summaron 35 2.8 and vintage Leica glass does so well in BW as it is.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
jja

Thanks for the explanation, Godfrey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The Nikon F3 meter pattern uses the same 13mm circle as the FM and FE series models. Nikon uses a centerweighted pattern and the weighting is 85/15 from center to edge in the F3 compared to the F/F2/FM/FE 60/40 weighting. (Yeah, I know the spec says it is 80/20, but measurements with a point light source on my F3 established quite conclusively that it was actually 85/15 weighting. I did the testing because I was curious that my FM and FE cameras gave different readings when pointed to the same scene with the same lens...)

The M6 meter pattern is a limited area pattern, not a centerweighted pattern... It reads the central white spot on the shutter curtain that's about 12mm diameter, so has a more well-defined cutoff than the Nikon F3.

In truth, and for all practical purposes, they respond so similarly there's hardly any difference between them in use.

G

My RFF Gallery

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Timmyjoe

For me it would come down to what lenses you have for each camera. I'd match the film type to the particular lens you're using on each. Summilux 50 ASPH would get color, older Nikkors would get B&W. Newer MF Nikkors would get color, Elmarits and older Summicrons, B&W.

But that's just me.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I don't think it matters but it would look very cool. Both are sweet lumps.

Hmm, I would do this. Who is your favourite Leica and Nikon photog and what was their main film?
Nikon is easy - Bernard Plossu. Nikkormat, 50mm, Tri-X.

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Lens max aperture and film ISO.
The rest is irrelevant. If day time only, it doesn't matter at all.

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
farlymac
PF McFarland

I kind of did that once, only with an F2S, and a Yashica GX. Fuji Superia Reala 100 in the Nikon, Kodak T-Max 100 in the Yashica. Oh, and I had a VUWS with Superia Reala 400, and a Panasonic TZ-3 at the same time. I was a picture taking fool that day (antique auto show outdoors). The evening before when they did the "cruise in" I added a Lomography fish eye to the mix with Superia Reala 400.

I lengthened the neck strap of the Nikon, and shortened the one on the Yashica so they wouldn't hit each other. The VUWS was in a jacket pocket, and the TZ-3 in my camera bag, reserved for when the film ran out.

The color/b&w mix worked out just fine, with the T-max looking really fine through the 40mm of the GX. I used a Vivitar 28-205 on the F2S since I knew there would be times when distance compression would come in handy, and I could get close-ups without having to be close.

The event was stretched over three days, so the mix of cameras and film varied, though I kept using the same film that I started with in whatever camera for the whole three days.

I shot the least of the T-Max, mainly because it was such a colorful event I didn't feel like b&w would do it justice in most cases, but it was a welcome diversion. I tend to use film based on the subject, more than on what camera or lens I'm using because the variables are too numerous to worry about. But the GX did turn out to be the best choice for b&w that day.

If you'd like to see what I mean, go to https://flic.kr/s/aHsjv5pHjt

PF

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
shimokita
白黒

For me it doesn't matter... most likely Kodak Gold 200 and Neopan 100 (Acros 100 II ?). Most likely 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH and AI-S 50mm f/1.2 on the MP and F3P respectively. For historical reasons it might be b&w in the Leica and color with the Nikon.

For the most part I have been shooting mostly b&w recently...

Old 6 Days Ago   #21
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
I kind of did that once, only with an F2S, and a Yashica GX...

I lengthened the neck strap of the Nikon, and shortened the one on the Yashica so they wouldn't hit each other. The VUWS was in a jacket pocket, and the TZ-3 in my camera bag, reserved for when the film ran out.
Similarly, I recall back in the 60's wandering the Seattle waterfront area carrying an M2 with 35mm above a Spotmatic with 85mm with straps adjusted accordingly. Quick into action!

But I had the same B&W film in both cameras, as the point was to have two focal lengths immediately available. Besides, I have found it very difficult to see both color and B&W photo opportunities at the same time. I'm either in a B&W seeing mode, or a color seeing mode. Just a personal handicap I guess...

Old 6 Days Ago   #22
leicapixie

I own Nikon F-3 (lots of F's,FE,Nikkormat) and Leica M3.M6TTl.
I have not shot film for about 5 years, using digital for way better results.
Metering about same on these cameras but accuracy of viewfinders quite different.
The F3 is accurate but M6 , it's anybody's guess..
My M3 is accurate but like all viewfinder RF, there is a parallax problem.
I would shoot color roll in each and compare the colors and look.
NB. I never used both together due to reverse thinking of mounting, focussing etc..
I would go with M6 (in spite of disadvantages) as smaller, lighter and faster..

Old 2 Days Ago   #23
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I crop my slide film shots in-camera to emulate the look of wide-screen motion pictures. I mark safe-area lines for a 2:1 aspect ratio with pencil lines on the focusing screen. I use only Nikons for this. So my usual habit is to shoot color in the Nikons, and black and white in the Leicas.

Old 2 Days Ago   #24
gnuyork

I shoot more color slide on my M6 than B&W and I think the metering is great on the M6. Works for me anyway. I have never tried the F3 , but if got a hold of one I'd use it too.

Old 2 Days Ago   #25
Ccoppola82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I shoot more color slide on my M6 than B&W and I think the metering is great on the M6. Works for me anyway. I have never tried the F3 , but if got a hold of one I'd use it too.
I got the F3 to beat the hell out of. I donít baby my Mís, but I donít abuse them either. I wasnít expecting to like the F3 much, but to my surprise I enjoy it almost as much as my Mís Definitely a fun camera to use

Instagram
Coppola_Art