Old 02-28-2019   #81
Nokton48

Darkroom Sink w/ 16x20 trays by Nokton48, on Flickr

Homemade Sink 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Homemade Darkroom Sink 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I like these designs (from the internet) with the backsplash, also might as well incorporate a shelf for holding chemistry, etc. Could incorporate a sprayer and swivel faucet as well

Old 02-28-2019   #82
B-9
Devin Bro

They look great. (Trays)

But they will not last. The PVC material is expensive. It’ll be a waste once those unseasoned boards start to curl or the veneers peeling on the bottom of the extremely low grade ply.

Better off making them from signboard or solid plastic.

Sure those worked a few times before they fully dried out and became modern art. Lol

I really like wood sinks, but it’s a big mistake not finishing all sides of the wood as I’ve mentioned before. Why go through all this work and not paint the bottom or sides lol.

Looking forward to seeing what you cook up.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 02-28-2019   #83
Nokton48

Perusing around some seem to really like wood finished with marine paint for boats. Some say "has lasted 20 years", "good enough for boats" etc. Also an option.

Old 02-28-2019   #84
B-9
Devin Bro

I agree, even a good marine varnish should last many years of good use.

Old 03-02-2019   #85
Nokton48

I'm continuing to gather info (and parts) for this project. I want to sincerely thank everybody who have taken the time pipe in so far with your ideas.

Actually I talked yesterday to a guy, he lives real close to me, he's a wet plate large format photog. He has a sink he bought on Craiglist, but has never installed. So now we have talked, and he is thinking of selling it off. If this is a go I will prolly take it. He says it will take three 16x20 trays (as long as the they don't have pouring lips on them) and has a deep well on one end, like to put a print washer there, or whatever. It's a little smaller than I would like, but with the 4x4 foot Kreonite Plate washing sink next to it, it might be OK? For $200-$300 it would certainly solve my sink searching dilemna. It is a commercially made darkroom sink, no markings. Small but so is my darkroom, it's only 10x12 feet total. Spacious enough for one person.

Also I met my father in law in my basement for a couple of hours yesterday, and everything I want to do down there is doable. So he is starting to get interested in this project. We spent a lot discussing the details of the new electrical, plumbing, drop ceiling, and general carpentry.

This is kind of exciting for me

Darkroom Drop Ceiling and New Thermometer by Nokton48, on Flickr

Stuff related to the drop ceiling

Old 03-03-2019   #86
Nokton48

modern enlarging systems model 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I did just pull the trigger on this Modern Enlarging Systems Model II LED head for my Omega D2. It uses Cree XP-G LEDs which are the most efficent on the market. Printing speed about like a 150W bulb so very bright blue LED. Although the Model II was intended for graded paper printing, I can put 6x6" Ilford Multigrade Gels in it's path if I want to VC print with it (which I eventually will when I run out of graded paper). The price on this was really great so I grabbed it, new in the box never used A wonderful upgrade to my trusty ole D2. I've read on the internet that these heads were a labor of love, he's not planning to make any more.

Next week I'll go after a big fiberglass darkroom sink practically right next door, and I have my eye on a 16x20 Calumet Archival Print Washer for a good price at a local used photo shop

Most pressing projects are the drop ceiling, and installing a heat vent in the ductwork running through the darkroom. I'm waiting for the special order duct to come in.

Is anybody here using the Model II as an enlarging source?

Old 03-03-2019   #87
Nokton48

Delta 1 Water Temp Unit by Nokton48, on Flickr

This Delta 1 water temp unit (just arrived from B&H) will be useful for washing my film. Screws right on to the water faucet tap.

Old 03-03-2019   #88
MrFujicaman

To quote Col. John "Hannibal" Smith...."Don't you love it when a plan comes together"

Old 03-04-2019   #89
Nokton48

Calumet Archival Print Washer 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is the Calumet Archival Print Washer I just bought for $250. Weighs a ton when empty, takes seventeen gallons to fill. Mine needs a bit of work but appears OK, 30 day return at the store where I purchased it. I will replace all the clear tubing, and the top right overflow "T" appears bent, maybe it dosen't leak?? We will see soon. This unit will archivally wash twelve 16x20 fiber prints, or 24 8x10s in one go. This was a $650 print wash in it's last years in the Calumet catalog. I think it was made by Gravity Works? A Thing of Beauty in my opinion............

The compartments are sealed so you be almost done washing a set of prints, and then drop in another print freshly loaded with fixer, it won't contaminate the other washing prints. Very cool

The Guy with the sink says his wife wants him to keep it for wet plate. So back to building a custom wood sink............

Oh Well

Old 03-07-2019   #90
Nokton48

Modern Enlarging Systems Model 2 on DII 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

LED Printing Baby Yeah!
Modern Enlarging Systems Model 2 LED Enlarging Head on my venerable 4x5 DII

Modern Enlarging Systems Model 2 on DII 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

LED Printing Baby Yeah!

Old 03-07-2019   #91
Saul
fighting inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Modern Enlarging Systems Model 2 on DII 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

LED Printing Baby Yeah!

Modern Enlarging Systems Model 2 on DII 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

LED Printing Baby Yeah!
That LED would hypnotize me, so beautiful on it's own

Old 03-07-2019   #92
Nokton48

Info on his enlarging lamps for Omega D's

http://www.modernenlargerlamps.com/M...s/Model_2.html

And see how it reacts with Multigrade filters. I need to get a complete set of Ilford 6x6" gels for split VC printing

http://www.modernenlargerlamps.com/M...el_2_Data.html

Old 03-08-2019   #93
Nokton48

Stearman SP445 Tank 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Stearman SP445 dev tank is here now. Only 16 oz of chemistry to do two 4x5/9x12 Lane glass plates, or four sheets of 9x12/4x5 modern flexible film. Useful! 3D printed item.

The ASA 25 Speed Plates fog easily. Jason sent the first batch, then emailed me and told me to throw them away!!! He went more than three minutes with his old safelight and fogged the speed plates. He has since switched his safelights. I bought a 5 1/2" Wratten #2 for my ancient Kodak safelight and he says that is OK with the speed plates. Kodak says for high speed Ortho film so that agrees with Jason's findings. You can also use a Kodak Dental X-Ray wratten filter, that is OK too. Very very dark red, must be 4 feet away at least. Or load the speedies in the dark. Not much light to see but enough to load!

The second batch he sent has no fogging. I will load them in the dark into the SP445. I will use the #2 to load the Makina holders.

Old 03-08-2019   #94
Nokton48

Stearman 9x12 J Lane Holders with two 4.5x6cm Lane plates by Nokton48, on Flickr

My really good news for today, is that I can drop four 4.5x6cm glass plates into Tim's 9x12 J Lane SP445 process racks. This fit my Plaubel Makinas and Makiflexes, in both sizes that I shoot. See my Avatar. These are accessory plate holders that can be purchased separately. They are 3D printed.

I've tried loading and inverting the tanks for a good bit. The smaller plates do not shift around or break.

Most excellent news! I should show this to Tim...........

Old 03-09-2019   #95
Nokton48

Fred Picker Signed Prints by Nokton48, on Flickr

I'm framing these two original Fred Picker prints, and hanging them in my darkroom as reference prints. Fred ran Zone VI Studios for many years and he was early inspiration for me.

Old 03-10-2019   #96
Nokton48

Omega DII Modification 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I found an article about modifying the DII so that the neg stage becomes adjustable. I bought a box of thumb screws from McMaster Carr, and washers and bolts too. Now my neg stage is adjustable.

url=https://flic.kr/p/SYUCbf][/url]Modified DII lensboards 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I also modified my DII lensboards, so that the lens planes of each are adjustable. I drilled and tapped each board, and put a layer of computer mouse pad between each top and bottom of each finished board. Used thumbscrews from McMaster Carr. So now I will use the Versalab Parallel Laser Alignment Tool to set the enlarger completely parallel each time I set enlarger height. Only makes a minute to do this each time.

Modified DII lensboards by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here are all the finished adjustable lens boards. I like the original silver Schneider Componons, I find them entirely adequate for my uses. I do have one much more modern black 180mm Rodenstock, which I have always used for printing 16x20s from 4x5

From the bottom right, 50mm, 60mm, 80mm, 100mm, 135mm, 150mm, new 180mm, old 180mm. I have even longer Componons (up to 300mm) but I use those on my cameras. Ken Ruth got me started collecting old Componons.

Old 03-10-2019   #97
Nokton48

My New Delta Six Foot Darkroom Sink by Nokton48, on Flickr

Just drove all the way across town, and bought this Delta 6 foot Darkroom Sink for Fifty Bucks It sells new at B&H for almost $800, when you figure in the freight. I does hold three 16x20 Patterson trays so I think I am good to go. This will work well with the Kreonite 4x4' Sink to it's left, and the Calumet 16x20 print washer in between the two sinks. An eight foot sink would be too cramped IMO.

Not too shabby! No cracks I can see, soon will be as good as new.

Old 03-10-2019   #98
Bill Clark

Nice find!

You’re making progress!

Old 03-10-2019   #99
Nokton48

Thanks Bill! Having a lot of fun designing and building this new workspace.

Delta Drain Faucet Set by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is the Delta Faucet/Drain set that will restore my new sink, I ordered it today. There was one on my new to me sink but it was completely rotten and I removed it. Might as well replace all with new. When you total everything up at the Lowes or Home Depot it's prolly cheaper to buy this from B&H!

Old 03-13-2019   #100
Nokton48

Luxor Heavy Duty Rolling Cart by Nokton48, on Flickr

After a lot of data mining, and suggestions on three different camera forums, I settled on this Luxor Heavy Duty Cart, to hold my 16x20 Calumet Washer. $119 free shipping from B&H. When it arrives, I will be ready to test the Calumet. I have replaced all the tubing and plumbing. This unit is rated for up to 500 lbs, load distributed.

The Calumet has a 30 day warranty from the shop where I bought it, if it leaks.........

Old 03-16-2019   #101
Nokton48

Tuesday we start on installing the drop ceiling.

Also installing the vent unit (had to special order that), for the hot air pipe running through the darkroom ceiling. Should make it comfortable in there. One section of pipe hangs low and we will leave that exposed, below the finished drop ceiling. Permanently installed my big miter saw to the Harbor Freight Heavy Duty Miter Table. Ready to cut some 2x4s......

All wood will be cut in the garage, and pre drilled with pilot holes right after cutting, with my mini drill press. Then screwed together down in the darkroom. My shop vac has a new filter so we are good to go. After the ceiling is complete, we build the work tables to go under the sinks. And redoing electrics and new plumbing into the new space, that will requiring some thought regarding best placement.

Bought a Bondo fiberglass patching kit, and Bondo resin (for underside of sink), to restore my 4x4 foot Kreonite green sink. That we will do outside.................

Trying to keep costs down, but not cut ANY corners.

Old 03-16-2019   #102
B-9
Devin Bro

Great choice on the poly cart!

I have a few made by Rubbermaid and they are rock solid after many years of abuse.

Old 03-16-2019   #103
Nokton48

Hey Devin,
Yep I think it will do the job. I'll drill and install a drain and hose (to the drain line) just in case. Seventeen gallons of water is a lot to get rid of in the event of a leak.

I've ordered and received 26 19x24 inch "Blotter Sheets" from Freestyle. I'll be using those for print drying. And my old "Kodak Blotter Roll" as well. Petersons Photographic had a plan for making a heated "drying box" using those blotters. Maybe I'll build one.

About the last thing I'll need is a large dry mount press. Need to build a table for that also.

Old 03-17-2019   #104
Nokton48

Photo Equipment You Can Make by Nokton48, on Flickr

When I was a teenager I had a copy of this guide. Now I just found another copy on the internet. There is a large print dryer in here that I would like to build.

Old 03-18-2019   #105
MrFujicaman

Dan, Petersen's "Blueprint" books in that same series also have plans for darkroom stuff.

I've wondered how well a copy of the softlight using daylight CFL's or LED's would work. Since they don't create as much heat as incandesant light bulbs, I'd think you could use quite a few more of them in the softlight.

Old 03-18-2019   #106
B-9
Devin Bro

I need to grab a copy of that for my shelf!

Old 03-18-2019   #107
Nokton48

Well Devin I have two copies coming, so I can send you one

Old 03-18-2019   #108
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
Dan, Petersen's "Blueprint" books in that same series also have plans for darkroom stuff. I've wondered how well a copy of the softlight using daylight CFL's or LED's would work. Since they don't create as much heat as incandesant light bulbs, I'd think you could use quite a few more of them in the softlight.

I bought the first "How to make Photo stuff" book, then a whole set of the Peterson's books popped up cheap, so I grabbed that too.
I'd imagine twelve photofloods in a light bank gets rather warm. Imagine the power consumption!

Old 03-18-2019   #109
MrFujicaman

Quote:
I bought the first "How to make Photo stuff" book, then a whole set of the Peterson's books popped up cheap, so I grabbed that too.
I'd imagine twelve photofloods in a light bank gets rather warm. Imagine the power consumption!
The risk of fire is what'd worry me...

Old 03-19-2019   #110
MrFujicaman

Quote:
Hey Devin,
Yep I think it will do the job. I'll drill and install a drain and hose (to the drain line) just in case. Seventeen gallons of water is a lot to get rid of in the event of a leak.

I've ordered and received 26 19x24 inch "Blotter Sheets" from Freestyle. I'll be using those for print drying. And my old "Kodak Blotter Roll" as well. Petersons Photographic had a plan for making a heated "drying box" using those blotters. Maybe I'll build one.

About the last thing I'll need is a large dry mount press. Need to build a table for that also.
How large? I have one I want to get rid of

Old 03-19-2019   #111
Nokton48

to take 20x24 mount board for 16x20 prints

Workin' on perimeter of drop ceiling

Old 03-21-2019   #112
Nokton48

Work is proceeding at a good clip. We are about half done installing the new drop ceiling. I'm getting very confident with the vintage Mitre Saw on the new Harbor Freight saw stand. Making lots of sawdust and vacuuming it up right away. :smile:

Old 03-22-2019   #113
Nokton48

Plans Matte Print Dryer by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's the Petersons Photographic article from the 70s, that I've been thinking about. I have fresh blotter sheets from Freestyle (25 of them 20x24), and I've ordered corrugated cardboard sheets same size (a carton of them), which will dry a pile of 16x20s in a couple of days time. By building this matte print dryer, it would speed up the drying process to just a few hours.

When I get more of the major darkroom building tasks completed, I will start to accumulate the materials to build this project.

Old 03-22-2019   #114
MrFujicaman

Dan, I just checked-the dry mounting press is a Technal model 500 with a 12" X 15" platen.

If you're planning on building the matte print dryer, I have 2 muffins fans I'll ship you for postage. They're NOS removed from scrapped surplus CCTV camera housings.

FYI, the "Eagle Cone Heater-120VAC-660 watts" is no more. Near as I can tell, Eagle went out of business years ago. However, I got curious and found a company that makes the same thing-www.processheating.com. Pretty much the same thing as the Eagles-$32.00 each.

Old 03-23-2019   #115
Nokton48

Thanks for the offer. Yes I could use the muffin fans. Send me a PM.

I saw the cone heaters while data mining. Personally I think two 650W cones might be a fire hazard inside a plywood box? Lower wattage units are available. I was thinking about a pair of 250 watt'ers. Take longer to dry, but might be safer? What do you think?

Old 03-23-2019   #116
Nokton48

Ilford Multigrade 6x6 Set NOS by Nokton48, on Flickr

I grabbed the NOS set of 6x6" Ilford Multigrade filters. I think I can just lay the gel on top of the neg carrier, should be far enough out of focus? My Omega heads to not have a filter tray, although I suppose I could build one out of metal? Or just lay the gels on top. What do you Guys think?

I have a bit of VC paper in house.......... But mostly old frozen graded

Old 03-23-2019   #117
Nokton48

Build Dry Mount Press by Nokton48, on Flickr

There's this, too.................

Old 03-23-2019   #118
giganova

What an amazing project!

Maybe a faucet with a motion or touch sensor?

Old 03-23-2019   #119
Nokton48

Here you can see the drop ceiling starting to go in. You can see the 2x4's we ran around the perimeter above the concrete block walls. We need to rearrange some ductwork; will finish that hurdle on Monday. The gas pipe will run below the drop ceiling; don't want to mess with it, and if we ever decide to sell the house (which I seriously doubt!!), want to have it still hooked up (used to have a gas fireplace and it could be easily hooked back up). In the near right corner ducting will hang down, then go up into the drop ceiling. Easiest way to deal with it. Also this plan preserves the extra tall ceiling height.

I am pleased so far! When we finish the ceiling the real photo fun will begin.

Darkroom Drop Ceiling by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 03-23-2019   #120
MrFujicaman

Yeah, the thought of 660 watts of heat in a plywood box worries me. Since I just knew you couldn't resist the idea of building the dry mount press, I found a source of 14 gauge Nichrome wire....

www.jacobs-online.biz $38.50 for 85 feet. Almost enough to make 2 mounting presses.

On the matte print dryer...perhaps using a used blow dryer for a heat source? That's what I used for a heat source for my RC print dryer and my film dryer. Good output and easy to find cheap at yard sales and thrift stores.

On the mounting press....I'd make sure I had it plugged into a GFI outlet or on a GFI circuit. Of all the projects Parry Yob came up with, I'd say that's the one that I feel is the most dangerous. I can see several ways to get the crap shocked out of you!