Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Back up photos while on the road
Old 10-10-2018   #1
kxl
Social Documentary

Back up photos while on the road

I used to travel with a laptop and and external drive. If I had internet access, I would upload photos to the cloud; otherwise, I backed them up to the external drive. I'd prefer not to travel with my laptop. I will likely bring my iPad Pro.

I've also used the Sanho drive in the past - plug in an SD card, press a button and the images get backed up. I've checked out the WD Wireless Passport Pro. This might be a possibility.

Obviously I can buy a few more SD cards. I will be suing my Fuji XT-2, shooting both jpg and RAW.

How do you back up your photos while on the road for 3-4 weeks, and for the sake of argument, let's say you won't have access to the internet for the duration?

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-10-2018   #2
DanskDynamit

no internet and no laptop?

Old 10-11-2018   #3
shimokita
白黒

For a couple of years I had a portable back-up device, Panasonic?? (similar to the "Sanho drive" you describe) that accepted CF and SD cards... the problem was that the battery eventually died and "uniquely sized" replacement was way too expensive. I still think it's a good solution, but I would look for one with generic or multiple sourced batteries. As well I would not reuse the memory card so as to have two copies.

Still shooting a lot of film so there's that, and not professionally so...

Old 10-11-2018   #4
santino
eXpect me

There was a special "plug" for the ipod classic that transfered pictures to the ipods hd.

Old 10-11-2018   #5
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

https://www.macworld.com/article/307...-ipad-pro.html

But I'm not sure if 64GB Apple device would have some space for photos.

Old 10-11-2018   #6
Peter Wijninga

SD cards. The alternative solutions are, either more expensive, and/or a hassle.

Old 10-11-2018   #7
Fjäll

Portable storage are really small these days. You can even purchase 512GB USB-sticks. That said I was happy my phone was backed up in the cloud when it broke. The future is cloud storage but I don't think it's the most practical solution today when traveling.

I'd you don't have an iPhone you can transfer data through practically any Android device with tiny SD-Micro USB adapters

Old 10-11-2018   #8
DanskDynamit

if no internet and no laptop, I would buy more SD cards and for a proper backup would send some home by post.

Old 10-11-2018   #9
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
I used to travel with a laptop and and external drive. If I had internet access, I would upload photos to the cloud; otherwise, I backed them up to the external drive. I'd prefer not to travel with my laptop. I will likely bring my iPad Pro.

I've also used the Sanho drive in the past - plug in an SD card, press a button and the images get backed up. I've checked out the WD Wireless Passport Pro. This might be a possibility.

Obviously I can buy a few more SD cards. I will be suing my Fuji XT-2, shooting both jpg and RAW.

How do you back up your photos while on the road for 3-4 weeks, and for the sake of argument, let's say you won't have access to the internet for the duration?
I don't.

I was just on the road for six weeks and made a couple thousand photos with my Leica CL and another thousand or so with iPad Pro and iPhone 8 Plus. They were all fine just sitting there in the various device's storage.

I've never lost a digital capture on the road anyway, all my cards and cameras over the past twenty years since I started working with digital capture have been 100% reliable. When I was out shooting on paid jobs for extended times, I'd often make backups before getting home, but that was just a matter of business practice, not necessity.

The requirement of backup for your travel shooting is one of those silly myths that's come down from when digital capture was new and film users didn't trust the new technology, it wasn't what they were used to. In those days, cameras weren't necessarily quite as reliable and cards did occasionally fail.

That was a long time ago. No quality cards or cameras made in the last decade are so unreliable, in fact I'd wager I lost far more film exposures to mishap and circumstance in my film only years travel than I've ever lost with digital capture.

Just go take photos and handle your cards carefully when you take them out of the camera. Whatever you roll over from camera into iPad Pro for quick look and processing is automatically double protected, of course. (And of course, if doing photography is your reason for buying an iPad Pro, buy the one with the largest storage capacity so it has plenty of space to work with. Mine is 256G capacity, if I were buying today I'd buy 512G. It's worth it.)

The iPad Pro has become my most used computer, and the only computer I carry when traveling. It does a terrific job for that.

G

Old 10-11-2018   #10
Peter Wijninga

A caveat...SD Cards...in some countries many of them are fake. Better buy them from a trusted source before you hit the road.

Old 10-11-2018   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
A caveat...SD Cards...in some countries many of them are fake. Better buy them from a trusted source before you hit the road.
This goes along with the other great rule of travel photography: Never travel with untested equipment.

I would never buy SD cards or cameras while actually traveling unless a failure forced me to do so. That's only happened once in forty plus years of travel, and that was before digital photography existed.

G

Old 10-11-2018   #12
ChipMcD

Usually, I have my laptop. I bought a 2 TB USB hard drive that is slightly larger than palm-sized and back up to it as well as to the laptop hard drive. I keep the camea media after the trip as well.

Old 10-11-2018   #13
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Yes. If I do buy more SD cards, I will order a few from B&H before I go on my trip.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-11-2018   #14
luna92

Still go with a laptop but I choose the lightest one as I can
Outdoor watches under 100

Old 10-12-2018   #15
al1966
Feed Your Head

WD do a HD with a built in SD reader, the latest gen is said to be reasonably fast and you can connect via wireless to your phone to check the images are there. I would still keep the images on cards so you have 2 copies and if able use an internet cafe to upload to cloud.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-12-2018   #16
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Two or three or four small SD cards are better than one big one. Problems with one big one can wipe out a lot of photos.

There were a lot of advantages in just having 36 pictures on a film...

Regards, David

Old 10-12-2018   #17
jarski

I would choose this: https://www.wdc.com/products/portabl...eless-pro.html

main benefit being, no computer needed. the device either automatically downloads files from sd-card, or its possible to control the process with app.

Old 10-12-2018   #18
Peter Wijninga

The cheapest 250 GB model, sells for $ 200. To compare, for $ 210 you can buy 448 GB in SD cards (7 x the Sandisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS). These cards are water/shock/x-ray/temperature proof and come with recovery software. This said, I'd go for smaller cards.

Old 10-12-2018   #19
agricola

Keith, we did a 1,000km trek earlier this year. I took only the X100s. Downloaded the files from the SD card to the iPad with that thing that takes the card and connects to the iPad. Sorted the files. Processed some. Did a bit of Snapseed on some. Then backed up the iPad files with this:

SanDisk 128GB iXPAND Flash Drive for iPhone / iPad
- Lightning and USB 3.0 connectors
- Auto photo backup
- Watch videos on the move
- Supports iPhone 5 and newer, iPad Air, iPad with Retina display (4th generation), iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini and newer

It worked a treat. The whole set up was light and compact. As I wanted - had the bloody lot in my backpack!

Dan

Old 10-12-2018   #20
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post

main benefit being, no computer needed. the device either automatically downloads files from sd-card, or its possible to control the process with app.
I got one of these for my mom. It does work. But a little finicky. She hasn't complained about it though

Old 10-12-2018   #21
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The requirement of backup for your travel shooting is one of those silly myths that's come down from when digital capture was new and film users didn't trust the new technology, it wasn't what they were used to. In those days, cameras weren't necessarily quite as reliable and cards did occasionally fail.
you clearly didn't travel enough, card failure is the least of problems you could find during a long trip. You could get stolen, you could lose one of your cards forgotten in one pocket that you sent for laundry, one of your mates could push you into a pool while you have your phone in your pocket, and the list goes on. All these (and more) happened to me during trips and what brought peace of mind was to send my backups home during my trips, its a good and cheap way of making sure that whatever happen to you and your gear, your photos are already safe.

Old 10-12-2018   #22
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
you clearly didn't travel enough, card failure is the least of problems you could find during a long trip. You could get stolen, you could lose one of your cards forgotten in one pocket that you sent for laundry, one of your mates could push you into a pool while you have your phone in your pocket, and the list goes on. All these (and more) happened to me during trips and what brought peace of mind was to send my backups home during my trips, its a good and cheap way of making sure that whatever happen to you and your gear, your photos are already safe.
I've traveled around the world about 25 times in hundreds of business and personal trips over the past forty years. I think I've traveled enough, thank you.

I just don't have mates that push me into pools, and take care when handling my photo gear such that I don't lose cards, have gear stolen, throw my phone into the toilet, etc. To me, that's just personal sloppiness.

G

Old 10-12-2018   #23
olifaunt

SD cards can get corrupted, almost by definition, it's a writeable medium exposed to things you can't control that have nothing to do with sloppiness: possible power surges from battery failure, camera firmware and hardware bugs (having worked in IT, I guarantee that no software is free of bugs), radiation, etc. Not to mention theft or disaster. I would at least copy photos daily to a laptop, phone, or tablet, so there are at least two copies, and not keep them in the same place.

Old 10-12-2018   #24
d_c

I have considered an SD card duplicator such as this one.

I understand that one can insert a full SD card and a blank card and it will duplicate the files without the need for a computer. The duplicate card can then go in a different bag, the hotel safe, or get posted home in an envelope.

Old 10-12-2018   #25
kxl
Social Documentary

Thanks for all your input. I'm still undecided. I will be bringing my iPad Pro, so that's an option, as is buying more cards and the WD Wireless Pro.

Old 10-12-2018   #26
ABrosig

Quote:

I got curious and checked the compatibility with various cameras, cards, etc. on their website. IF you're interested in it for the wireless features, says it only works w/ Canon and Nikon, with the specific company's wifi adapters. Didn't say anything about the built-in wifi on some of the newer models.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but thought was worth a look. Sounds like its compatible w/ most brands of SD cards, so probably still an option.

http://andrewbrosigphotography.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew_...7638861831706/
http://instagram.com/andrewbrosig
http://www.andrewbrosigphotography.com

In hoc loco sum

Old 10-12-2018   #27
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrosig View Post
I got curious and checked the compatibility with various cameras, cards, etc. on their website. IF you're interested in it for the wireless features, says it only works w/ Canon and Nikon, with the specific company's wifi adapters. Didn't say anything about the built-in wifi on some of the newer models.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but thought was worth a look. Sounds like its compatible w/ most brands of SD cards, so probably still an option.
I wasn't really interested in the wireless option. I think the older model actually sounded more interesting. With this type of device, I just wanted to be able plug in an SD card and copy the images to the device. An SSD (depending on the price), would also be good.

Old 10-12-2018   #28
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I've traveled around the world about 25 times in hundreds of business and personal trips over the past forty years. I think I've traveled enough, thank you.

I just don't have mates that push me into pools, and take care when handling my photo gear such that I don't lose cards, have gear stolen, throw my phone into the toilet, etc. To me, that's just personal sloppiness.

G
lol business trips...

Old 10-13-2018   #29
jarski

Quote:
The cheapest 250 GB model, sells for $ 200.
did you check the link? cheapest option is 1TB for $150. with 200 dollars you can have 3TB of space.

Old 10-13-2018   #30
Michael Markey

Quote:
did you check the link? cheapest option is 1TB for $150. with 200 dollars you can have 3TB of space.
I was looking at those the other day myself but the reviews were anything but encouraging.

It didn`t seem like a very reliable product.

Old 10-13-2018   #31
Peter Wijninga

Quote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ess_250gb.html 250GB for $ 191.99. Other than that, why bother with just another thing in your bag when the cards -the size of a thumbnail, are indestructible? All this said, to each his own.

Old 10-13-2018   #32
kxl
Social Documentary

Another option

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...te.html?sts=pi

In any case, given that 128gb 80mb/s SD cards (fast enough for me) are currently going for $30 each, I just bought several to suit my needs.

Old 10-13-2018   #33
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
lol business trips...
??

Obviously, you know nothing about my activities over the past 40+ years. I would suggest that instead of trying to say I don't know what I'm talking about, when it's my life and activities I'm referring to, you should accept that I know what my experiences are, and that I have my opinion on this matter.

... And shut up if you don't have anything to say that is of benefit to the readers of this thread.