Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique

Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique From time to time its been suggested that RFF have a mentor Photography help section in terms of Technique - how to shoot this or that. 1st of all I had to find someone whose work I really like. 2ndly that photog had to be willing help others. That's the catch: so many excellent photogs just are not wiling to make the time for that, or just as likely, simply don't give a damn about helping others. SimonSawSunlight is an excellent up and coming photog whose work seems to go well beyond his 24 years.

You can view Simon's work at http://www.simonbephotography.com/  and www.facebook.com/simonbphotography Simon has been published in in FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), LFI (Leica Fotografie International) and more recently in Radiate Magazine. He also recently had a large solo-exhibition in Berlin. Not too Shabby! So, let us begin this adventure and see where it goes. Thank for taking this on Simon!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Leica MDa, complete guess work. I love it.
Old 06-18-2018   #1
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser
 
SimonSawSunlight's Avatar
 
SimonSawSunlight is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Berlin
Age: 30
Posts: 2,909
Leica MDa, complete guess work. I love it.

So, with all my M2s at the doctor's for a while now, I've picked up my last back-up again, a nice Leica MDa, and slapped my 35mm f2.5 and a matching old Leitz finder on it.

It's been my everyday-carry for the last couple of weeks and I love it. Would I trade it permanently for an M2 or an M4? Of course not. Still, there is something I appreciate deeply about using a camera that is so very well-designed but reduced to the absolute bare minimum. I haven't really used a light meter with my rangefinder cameras in almost ten years, but being without a focusing mechanism as well leaves you with basically nothing but a mechanical shutter box and a crude (if large and bright) framing aid. So it really is all down to you and educated guesswork. Get that out of the way as quickly as possible (if you have a little bit of experience and courage) and you can focus on nothing but what's happening in front of you.

I think I was trying to make a more sophisticated point but I can't remember what it was now so here's pictures.












and yes you're going to say "well that's stopped down and fairly far away and woopwoopwoop" so here's more.








and some more at f2.5








  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #2
Muggins
Registered User
 
Muggins's Avatar
 
Muggins is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 975
I think a few of us here have MDas - your rig is somewhat snazzier than mine, and you are a considerably bolder and better photographer than I am - in fact I'm not even sure where the last set of negs from it are...

It's nice to see someone else enjoys using them!


Low-Budget Leica rig by gray1720, on Flickr

Adrian
__________________
I love pretending that I know what I'm doing.... (Pete Herbert)

If http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/ are the ones I let people see, what on earth are the rest like?
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #3
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 6,397
I had XA for couple of years before it crapped out, RF in it was barely visible, so I used it's primitive focus scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
....

and yes you're going to say "well that's stopped down and fairly far away and woopwoopwoop" so here's more.



....

and some more at f2.5
Based on DOF visible in the image it is 5.6-8, not 2.5.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #4
rodt16s
Registered User
 
rodt16s is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wiltshire UK
Posts: 619
Been using an MDa and 21SA for quite a number of years
Great combination...
__________________
M's, & OM's
Just taking pics of stuff.
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #5
brennanphotoguy
Registered User
 
brennanphotoguy's Avatar
 
brennanphotoguy is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Based on DOF visible in the image it is 5.6-8, not 2.5.
He never said that was at 2.5...

These are fantastic! 1 and 3 are awesome. Really nice work. I've always wanted one of these just to use with wide angles.
__________________
M3 / IIIg / Rollei 3.5E3
www.instagram.com/brennan_mckissick
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #6
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,018
Ah yes, I use an Md-A and 1f in such a way. With the bodycap Lomo Minitar 32mm 2.8 lens it becomes completely pocketable.









I use these cameras with 21mm, 25mm, 28mm, 32mm, 35mm and 40mm lenses (depending on which one is native screw mount etc)
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #7
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
He never said that was at 2.5...
I see, so one is with f8 DOF and close distance and another is with not so close distance and f2.5.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #8
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,695
Using such a camera can be liberating. I use a Standard Leica sometimes.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #9
slantface
Jordan Dickinson
 
slantface is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 36
Posts: 533
I bought an MDa about a year ago and really love it. I need to get it CLA'd, but it's going to be one of my most loved cameras I'm sure. Going to take it to Alaska in the fall with either my 18mm Super Elmar ASPH or my 21mm Super Elmar ASPH. Can't wait!

Thanks for the inspiration Simon.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #10
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,648
Try shooting without the viewfinder... then it's really complete guess work
I wanted to get a MDa a few years ago as I couldn't use a viewfinder anyway, but I just kept using my Bessa R, Fed 3, and other cameras without using the viewfinder.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Awesome Film Reminder Card
Old 06-18-2018   #11
Montag006
Registered User
 
Montag006 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Across the bay from Tampa
Posts: 110
Awesome Film Reminder Card

Huss,
I love that "film reminder card",
What film does it indicate?
do you mind if I borrow the idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Ah yes, I use an Md-A and 1f in such a way. With the bodycap Lomo Minitar 32mm 2.8 lens it becomes completely pocketable.









I use these cameras with 21mm, 25mm, 28mm, 32mm, 35mm and 40mm lenses (depending on which one is native screw mount etc)
__________________
Rangefinder: M 2
SLR's: FTn, F-2, F-3 and FV
Sub Mini: Minox B
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #12
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser
 
SimonSawSunlight's Avatar
 
SimonSawSunlight is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Berlin
Age: 30
Posts: 2,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I had XA for couple of years before it crapped out, RF in it was barely visible, so I used it's primitive focus scale.



Based on DOF visible in the image it is 5.6-8, not 2.5.
must have been 4.5, maybe 5.6, if i remember correctly. all i said was it's possible and i love using the camera, not that i'm a wizard.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018   #13
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag006 View Post
Huss,
I love that "film reminder card",
What film does it indicate?
do you mind if I borrow the idea?
Please go ahead! It's there so I can show people confused by 'film cameras' the photo I just took...
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #14
Muggins
Registered User
 
Muggins's Avatar
 
Muggins is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 975
Oh, I wish I'd thought of that, Huss!

I forgot to mention that I also have a bodycap pinhole for it... though I've never yet made the time to do it justice.

Adrian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5171.jpg (34.5 KB, 8 views)
__________________
I love pretending that I know what I'm doing.... (Pete Herbert)

If http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/ are the ones I let people see, what on earth are the rest like?
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #15
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 53
Posts: 3,029
great images in this thread, l would love a If or Ig to match up with a cv 25mm
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica IIIc. IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Arriving soon: Holga 120N

myblog:lifefromawindow
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #16
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 53
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmike View Post
great images in this thread, l would love a If or Ig to match up with a cv 25mm

l would also need to save for a cv25mm, but alas would have to sell stuff on the evil bay to fund things and ebay has lost its shine for me after many many years and transactions
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica IIIc. IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Arriving soon: Holga 120N

myblog:lifefromawindow
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #17
ruby.monkey
Registered User
 
ruby.monkey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Garden of England
Age: 48
Posts: 4,489
How about an MDa with a Snapshot-Skopar?


XT1S0005 by Jean-Yves, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #18
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae
 
LCSmith is offline
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 71
One of my favorite cameras is a Nikonos III, an all manual underwater film camera with a viewfinder but no rangefinder. It's my go-to camera on snowy and rainy days and of course in the water.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #19
petronius
Registered User
 
petronius's Avatar
 
petronius is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern Germany
Age: 54
Posts: 2,092
That´s why some of us use Rollei 35, Minox 35 or Olympus Pen S ... ;-)
__________________
My tumblr

My Rollei 35 tumblr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #20
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Based on DOF visible in the image it is 5.6-8, not 2.5.
aperture police on the beat.

i use a If and Ig like this as well. if you practice it enough, it becomes an incredibly efficient way to shoot street.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #21
Muju79
http://muju.tumblr.com/
 
Muju79's Avatar
 
Muju79 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 84
There are a few posts on Tokyo Camera Style about the work of Munemitsu Komatsu, a guy using a sans finder Bessa with a 50mm lens. That's what I'd call "complete guess work"!
And agreed with the post above about the Rollei 35: that's one fun camera to have if you enjoy scale focusing.

https://www.komatsumunemitsu.com/finder-photobooks/
__________________
Thou great star! What would be thy happiness if thou hadst not those for whom thou shinest!
(F.W. Nietzsche, “Thus spoke Zarathustra”)
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #22
brennanphotoguy
Registered User
 
brennanphotoguy's Avatar
 
brennanphotoguy is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I see, so one is with f8 DOF and close distance and another is with not so close distance and f2.5.
Sorry for derailing this thread but come on, why don't you try reading? You do this in every thread. He clearly says, "and yes you're going to say "well that's stopped down and fairly far away and woopwoopwoop" so here's more." He doesn't say the images below are wide open. He goes on to say, "and some more at f2.5" which means the images below that phrase are at f/2.5. Stop being an idiot.
__________________
M3 / IIIg / Rollei 3.5E3
www.instagram.com/brennan_mckissick
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #23
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser
 
SimonSawSunlight's Avatar
 
SimonSawSunlight is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Berlin
Age: 30
Posts: 2,909
uh this got fun fast.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #24
winzenbourg
Registered User
 
winzenbourg's Avatar
 
winzenbourg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Berlin
Age: 33
Posts: 85
Back on topic:

Always a pleasure seeing your work! Beer time for real when I'm back in Berlin.
__________________
portfolio
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #25
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,018
Leica 1f, Snapshot Skopar 25:



  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #26
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser
 
SimonSawSunlight's Avatar
 
SimonSawSunlight is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Berlin
Age: 30
Posts: 2,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by winzenbourg View Post
Back on topic:

Always a pleasure seeing your work! Beer time for real when I'm back in Berlin.

you know where to find me.
  Reply With Quote

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2018   #27
Montag006
Registered User
 
Montag006 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Across the bay from Tampa
Posts: 110
Thanks!

I love that reason!!!
I hope I get asked!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Please go ahead! It's there so I can show people confused by 'film cameras' the photo I just took...
__________________
Rangefinder: M 2
SLR's: FTn, F-2, F-3 and FV
Sub Mini: Minox B
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #28
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
Sorry for derailing this thread but come on, why don't you try reading? You do this in every thread. He clearly says, "and yes you're going to say "well that's stopped down and fairly far away and woopwoopwoop" so here's more." He doesn't say the images below are wide open. He goes on to say, "and some more at f2.5" which means the images below that phrase are at f/2.5. Stop being an idiot.
I'll report your post and putting you on ignore list. It looks like you are one of those who hate people with ESL and hate those who are thinking differently.

I do same as OP does and it was game of the guess what he did.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #29
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser
 
SimonSawSunlight's Avatar
 
SimonSawSunlight is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Berlin
Age: 30
Posts: 2,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I do same as OP does and it was game of the guess what he did.

it is all about guesswork after all!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #30
brennanphotoguy
Registered User
 
brennanphotoguy's Avatar
 
brennanphotoguy is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I'll report your post and putting you on ignore list. It looks like you are one of those who hate people with ESL and hate those who are thinking differently.

I do same as OP does and it was game of the guess what he did.
Cool story. But back on topic. Great stuff.
__________________
M3 / IIIg / Rollei 3.5E3
www.instagram.com/brennan_mckissick
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #31
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
it is all about guesswork after all!
Absolutely! I switch my 35 aperture between f2.8 and f11 and do my tab focusing on the street instead of RF most of the time. It is just not enough time to RF.

But to be honest, I would be very tempted to RF for last three indoor images in OP. Or I would bump it to f5.6 for scale focusing. So, those three I liked most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post

....


and some more at f2.5








  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #32
rfaspen
Registered User
 
rfaspen's Avatar
 
rfaspen is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 1,562
I'm one of the few here at RFF with an MDa. I put up a WTB ad here (RFF) and someone answered! Sorry I can't remember the cool dude who sold me my MDa.

I use it when I'm in the guessing mood, but I don't like to guess too much so I think I've only used it with my CV 15/4.5 lens. I still seem to get motion induced blur even with this wide, wide lens. I guess I let my technique slip when I'm using the MDa and move the camera in hand while pressing the shutter release. Purely psychological.

I'm really impressed with Simon's use of a 35 on the MDa. The image of a "business lunch" is awesome. I may some day get as bold as to use a 35 on the little beast.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #33
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
I'm one of the few here at RFF with an MDa. I put up a WTB ad here (RFF) and someone answered! Sorry I can't remember the cool dude who sold me my MDa.

I use it when I'm in the guessing mood, but I don't like to guess too much so I think I've only used it with my CV 15/4.5 lens. I still seem to get motion induced blur even with this wide, wide lens. I guess I let my technique slip when I'm using the MDa and move the camera in hand while pressing the shutter release. Purely psychological.

I'm really impressed with Simon's use of a 35 on the MDa. The image of a "business lunch" is awesome. I may some day get as bold as to use a 35 on the little beast.
how long have you had it? i sold one to an RFF member late last year, forgot the cool guy i sold it to.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #34
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 60
Posts: 9,087
I use a Canadian MD2 (only 1000 made).

Use to use it with a 21 SEM, but now with a black Canon 28/3.5 that has the distance scale marked in feet only.

25/28 Zeiss finder. Also the MD2 allows use of a TA Rapidwider and Rapidgrip because it has the drive coupling.

I will say using a 35mm is very brave.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018   #35
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post

I will say using a 35mm is very brave.

Cal
Not really.
It is the standard focal length on scale focus cameras like Nikonos, Minox 35, Agfa Optimas (the ones w/o rf) and the Rollei 35 uses a 40mm lens.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018   #36
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 60
Posts: 9,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Not really.
It is the standard focal length on scale focus cameras like Nikonos, Minox 35, Agfa Optimas (the ones w/o rf) and the Rollei 35 uses a 40mm lens.
Huss,

I think "bold" might have been a better word to use. In use closer shots that are tight and fill the frame that Simon displays in his shots are not so easy. Stopping down is a bonus.

The lenses you mention are of modest speed. In my case using my 35/1.8 Nikkor in LTM for a close tight shot would have limitations if say I used F2.0 or F1.8. Of course not focusing on a close subject offers more lattitude. Simon seems to do very well in pushing the closer limits, and this is why I tried to compliment his skill.

Anyways I framed my response with my kit in mind, and I did not frame what I am now mentioning.
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018   #37
CameraQuest
Head Bartender
 
CameraQuest is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: over the hills from Malibu
Posts: 5,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
How about an MDa with a Snapshot-Skopar?


XT1S0005 by Jean-Yves, on Flickr
I like the MDa, its like a Voigtlander Bessa T

without the LED silicon meter
without the long base adjustable diopter rangefinder
without the swing open back
without the film ID window
without the metal shutter curtains
without the 1/125th sync speed
without the top 1/2000th top speed
without the choice of black or silver or blue or grey or black paint finishes

  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018   #38
ruby.monkey
Registered User
 
ruby.monkey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Garden of England
Age: 48
Posts: 4,489
You mean something like this?


EPM20007 by Jean-Yves, on Flickr

It is an excellent camera, but let's be honest - after the bomb drops, all that will survive will be cockroaches, Nikon Fs, and Leicas.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018   #39
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
I like the MDa, its like a Voigtlander Bessa T

without the LED silicon meter
without the long base adjustable diopter rangefinder
without the swing open back
without the film ID window
without the metal shutter curtains
without the 1/125th sync speed
without the top 1/2000th top speed
without the choice of black or silver or blue or grey or black paint finishes

But with the beautiful finish
But with the carved from billet feel
But with the whisper quiet shutter
But with the forever serviceability
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018   #40
rfaspen
Registered User
 
rfaspen's Avatar
 
rfaspen is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
how long have you had it? i sold one to an RFF member late last year, forgot the cool guy i sold it to.

Yes! I'm that cool guy!


Loving the MDa. It actually gets out of the house and sees a little of this world.


Ya, ya, I know. Let's see some piktures.... Let me see if any are "accessible".
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:20.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.