Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Old 10-04-2018   #41
skopar steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by crave1ne View Post
So I just received my Zorki 4 in the mail today.. its a BEAUT! I can't wait to put a roll of film through it. Question, Im having a hard time trying to get the film counter to move, should I even care about that? I'll post some pics later once I get off of work.
Mine is a bit stiff as well. I think it's designed that way so you don't accidentally move it when winding the film. I think you'll be impressed with the Jupiter 8. Looking forward to seeing pics of your 4.

Steve

Old 10-05-2018   #42
crave1ne

Here is the beautiful Zorki 4 that I purchased from Oleg. The description on the website stated that it had slight water damage. I went ahead and went for it since it came with the Jupiter 8 lens. I have yet to find where the water damage is. So far I've shot a few frames with it. It is amazing in my hands. I even love the way you turn the dial to cock the shutter. The only thing that I don't like about it is the lack of frame lines. I thought I had read that the Zorki 4 had frame lines for the 50mm lens in the viewfinder. So I'm not quite sure what all will be in the frame of what I'm seeing. But, thats going to be a trial and error. Also, the pic on the website showed lugs on the sides for a strap. It does not have these lugs at all. Going to check around about adding a lug for a hand strap at least. Other than that, I really love the way it functions. I was timid with turning the shutter speed, I've read to turn it clockwise. But mine does not seem to turn in that direction. looking at the camera from the back I turn it counterclockwise. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm to it. It doesn't feel stiff or like I'm forcing it in that direction. So far VERY happy with it. Can't wait to see the results! My wife and I are going out of town this weekend to shoot a wedding. I'm going to take this along to take a couple of shots just to use up the film and see how this baby performs.

[IMG]IMG_20181004_183134 by Chad Duncan, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_20181004_183109 by Chad Duncan, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_20181004_183056 by Chad Duncan, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_20181004_183037 by Chad Duncan, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 10-05-2018   #43
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

A half-case made from a Zorki 4 case lower part will do the job of carrying your nice camera.
I believe the shutter speed dial does not "go round and round" but back and forth from 1/1000 on one end to B on the other. When you get to the slow speeds it does feel like you are pushing against the gears, winding them up. You have the printed on graphics and speed markings are fading, you will have to remember where the speeds are if they fade out. 1/30 for some reason is over next to B, in between 1sec. and B

Old 10-05-2018   #44
crave1ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
A half-case made from a Zorki 4 case lower part will do the job of carrying your nice camera.
I believe the shutter speed dial does not "go round and round" but back and forth from 1/1000 on one end to B on the other. When you get to the slow speeds it does feel like you are pushing against the gears, winding them up. You have the printed on graphics and speed markings are fading, you will have to remember where the speeds are if they fade out. 1/30 for some reason is over next to B, in between 1sec. and B
I wondered if just getting a case and removing the upper part would work.. I may just do that then... Yeah, I have a picture of them in case they do fade. Loving the feel of this camera already, and I'm terrified now that I'm going to want to get a FED2 next...

Old 10-05-2018   #45
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Just give in... that Zorki 3m is my latest darling!

Quote:
I'm terrified now that I'm going to want to get a FED2 next...

Old 10-05-2018   #46
skopar steve

Nice score! I have a couple of Fed 2's but my Zorki 3M gets the most use. After using your Zorki 4 you may find the viewfinder of the Fed a bit disappointing. A jupiter 12 with a finder would be a nice addition to your kit.

Steve

Old 10-05-2018   #47
crave1ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopar steve View Post
Nice score! I have a couple of Fed 2's but my Zorki 3M gets the most use. After using your Zorki 4 you may find the viewfinder of the Fed a bit disappointing. A jupiter 12 with a finder would be a nice addition to your kit.

Steve
I'm not a huge fan of the accessory finders.. But I have read so much good stuff about a J12... I may have to look into this more once I get alittle more use out of the camera.

Old 10-05-2018   #48
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

No frame lines, but the viewfinder is for 50mm. Most cameras didn't have frame lines back then. Everything you see in the viewfinder will end up on film (and a bit more around the edges, as is usual). Parallax is a bit of the problem with close ups, but not terribly bad. If you need pinpoint precision with your framing and print full frame, get a Nikon F.

As for a Fed 2, I've never understood why they get any praise. The Fed 3 is a better camera in every respect (In my opinion, the best of all the Feds really) - with the exception of the rangefinder base being smaller, which practically doesn't matter at all if you're not shooting long lenses.

Old 10-05-2018   #49
Swift1

Quote:
Here is the beautiful Zorki 4 that I purchased from Oleg. The description on the website stated that it had slight water damage. I went ahead and went for it since it came with the Jupiter 8 lens. I have yet to find where the water damage is. So far I've shot a few frames with it. It is amazing in my hands. I even love the way you turn the dial to cock the shutter. The only thing that I don't like about it is the lack of frame lines. I thought I had read that the Zorki 4 had frame lines for the 50mm lens in the viewfinder. So I'm not quite sure what all will be in the frame of what I'm seeing. But, thats going to be a trial and error. Also, the pic on the website showed lugs on the sides for a strap. It does not have these lugs at all. Going to check around about adding a lug for a hand strap at least. Other than that, I really love the way it functions. I was timid with turning the shutter speed, I've read to turn it clockwise. But mine does not seem to turn in that direction. looking at the camera from the back I turn it counterclockwise. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm to it. It doesn't feel stiff or like I'm forcing it in that direction. So far VERY happy with it. Can't wait to see the results! My wife and I are going out of town this weekend to shoot a wedding. I'm going to take this along to take a couple of shots just to use up the film and see how this baby performs.
Looks like a nice 1967 "50 Years of Soviet Authority" version body, and a nice chrome 1956 Jupiter-8.
Are the shutter speeds engraved or printed?
You can turn the shutter dial either direction, but never turn it from the 1s position to the 1/30s position.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 10-05-2018   #50
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post

As for a Fed 2, I've never understood why they get any praise. The Fed 3 is a better camera in every respect (In my opinion, the best of all the Feds really) - with the exception of the rangefinder base being smaller, which practically doesn't matter at all if you're not shooting long lenses.
This depends very much on personal preference.
The FED 2 is smaller, and has strap lugs usually. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, they're different cameras with a different feature set.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 10-05-2018   #51
crave1ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Looks like a nice 1967 "50 Years of Soviet Authority" version body, and a nice chrome 1956 Jupiter-8.
Are the shutter speeds engraved or printed?
You can turn the shutter dial either direction, but never turn it from the 1s position to the 1/30s position.
They are printed. I wish they had come engraved.. but no biggie...

Old 10-05-2018   #52
skopar steve

I thought I would not like using a shoe mounted finder either. With a little practice you can get comfortable with it. Framing is not precise, but a little cropping takes care of it.

Old 10-06-2018   #53
Sniper X

You'll find when you get your first Zorki or any former USSR rangefinder, you'll quickly want more. And more lenses and accessories. I bought my first Zorki a 4K very clean perfectly working example two months ago with a very clean 2nd gen Jupiter 8 on it. I now have three. 1 of them a 4K, 1 60s version Zorki 4, and a super nice Zorki 4 from 1957...and I ordered another Zorki 4 yesterday because I found a super clean one with a first design Red P Jupiter 8, Nice manual, box and papers for a great price. It is from 1959. I LOVE the Zorki 4 early versions due to the fact they just "FEEL" a little finer made, and have some subtle but beautiful differences from the later 4 and 4K. However, I DO LOVE all my Zorki's Here's a pic of my latest from 59 with the lens and acc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zork 4 1957 and acc.jpg (38.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg New Jupiter 8 Red P.jpg (31.2 KB, 13 views)

Old 10-07-2018   #54
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
No frame lines, but the viewfinder is for 50mm. Most cameras didn't have frame lines back then. Everything you see in the viewfinder will end up on film (and a bit more around the edges, as is usual). Parallax is a bit of the problem with close ups, but not terribly bad. If you need pinpoint precision with your framing and print full frame, get a Nikon F.

But wasn't the Leningrad fun? Until the zinc alloy chassis cracked. Or unless you wanted evenly spaced negatives. Or unless you didn't want a camera that jumped it the air when it went off...

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-07-2018   #55
David Hughes
David Hughes

They can be repaired; I bought mine cheaply as a dud and got it done and am very pleased with it. The VF covers 35mm and has frame lines for 50,85 and 135mm plus parallax & diaoptre adjustment. There's also a good translation of the manual (needed for the one or two warnings) and the body has the Contax/Kiev style foot.

The FED 2 and Zorki 6 are also pleasant cameras to use.

Regards, David

Old 10-08-2018   #56
Sniper X

Crave1ne, that's not just a Jupiter 8 lens, that is one from when they were the best as far as all who know are concerned. It is a Red P lens with the focus knob. I have three of the silver barrel Jupiter 8's, one of those, one from the 60s and one from the 70s and of all, including the black barrel later ones, that early version red p lens is the best. All are great but the red p is better in my opinion. I'd like to hear from all you who read this whether you find this accurate.

Old 10-08-2018   #57
Sniper X

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopar steve View Post
I thought I would not like using a shoe mounted finder either. With a little practice you can get comfortable with it. Framing is not precise, but a little cropping takes care of it.
That along wint a Jupiter 12 35mm lens are my next purchases.

Old 10-08-2018   #58
Sniper X

Quote:
They are printed. I wish they had come engraved.. but no biggie...
I have yet to find out when they stopped engraving the numbers on the dials on the Zorki cameras. On the 4 seires I gatehr it was early 1960s around 63~65. I do see many earlier Zorki 4 with the name and numbers all engraved like both my 57 and 59 Zorki 4 have, but after they stopped having the body that has the surround around the VF windows, they also stopped engraving the name on front and words on back...but kept for a while the engraved numbers on the dials on top.

Old 10-08-2018   #59
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Crave1ne, that's not just a Jupiter 8 lens, that is one from when they were the best as far as all who know are concerned. It is a Red P lens with the focus knob. I have three of the silver barrel Jupiter 8's, one of those, one from the 60s and one from the 70s and of all, including the black barrel later ones, that early version red p lens is the best. All are great but the red p is better in my opinion. I'd like to hear from all you who read this whether you find this accurate.
I have a beautiful chrome "Red P" copy from 1957 (came on my 1957 Zorki 4) and a later black one that Ko.Fe. gave to me. Both are in good condition, and optically I would say both have no issues.
I haven't used either a ton, but I would say they are equally matched when it comes to the images they produce.
The earlier chrome version is better looking, nicer built, and easier to use though.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 10-08-2018   #60
Swift1

Quote:
I have yet to find out when they stopped engraving the numbers on the dials on the Zorki cameras. On the 4 seires I gatehr it was early 1960s around 63~65. I do see many earlier Zorki 4 with the name and numbers all engraved like both my 57 and 59 Zorki 4 have, but after they stopped having the body that has the surround around the VF windows, they also stopped engraving the name on front and words on back...but kept for a while the engraved numbers on the dials on top.
According to sovietcams.com

1st version with raised finder windows was made from 1956-1959

2nd version without raised finder windows but still engraved markings , made from 1960-1966

3rd version is start of screen printed markings, made from 1963-1968

So it seems there was a 3 year overlap where both the 2nd version and 3rd version were being produced, which makes it difficult to figure by date alone.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 10-08-2018   #61
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I also had a '57 J8 version on my Zorki 4, it was awesome, so I sold them both, silly.

I then got a '68 J8, the "barrel shaped" version in mint condition, not a scratch on it, it resides on my Zorki 3m.

Old 10-11-2018   #62
crave1ne

Quote:

I've shot one roll through it so far. I had a hard time rewinding it. I wasn't sure it was working, so I opened the back a bit to find the roll of film still in there... So, I may have lost a frame or two, no biggie. I did finally get how it rewinds, and once I figured this out it didn't take long to rewind it. My Pentax K1000 is alitte faster at winding, but not by much really. I can't wait to get a chance to develop the roll, and see how it turned out.

Old 10-28-2018   #63
Sniper X

You will love it. I bought one, now have three and will keep getting more of the Russian RF cameras. All mine are 4. All have the jupiter 8 from the year of the cameras manufacture. I love them.

Old 10-29-2018   #64
David Hughes
David Hughes

Do be careful, you are at the top of a very slippery slope.

Sooner or later you'll wonder about the Zorki 1 (the first) and the Zorki 6 (the serious changeover in design) and so on. Then the FEDs, Leicas and the Leningrad will be tempting you. Beware, it's a road to ruin and poverty... ;-)

Regards, David

Old 10-29-2018   #65
NovaXeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post

Sooner or later you'll wonder about the Zorki 1 (the first) and the Zorki 6 (the serious changeover in design) and so on. Then the FEDs, Leicas and the Leningrad will be tempting you. Beware, it's a road to ruin and poverty... ;-)

Regards, David
Can confirm this.

My first RF was a Zorki 4K with a black Jupiter 8. Bought a Jupiter 12, which still doesn't see much use, and if it wasn't for how pretty it looks on the shelf with my Z1, I'd be selling it. Next was a Fed 3b with Industar-61. Then a Zorki 1 with Industar-22. Then a Zorki 4 with red P Jupiter-8.

All of this pushed me to buying a Leica IIIf, which I'm currently trying to modify the Red-P J8 to work with, because it is an absolutely STUNNING lens and I will be heartbroken if I can't make it work.

It's a VERY steep and slippery slope.

Old 10-29-2018   #66
skopar steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post

Regards, David
So true! Started with a Fed 2 and Jupiter 8 to shoot a Mosin Nagant match (keeping everything Russian), now I have 2 feds, a Zorki 3M and Leica M4-2 with 3 lens kit. Your done for now :-)

Steve

Old 10-29-2018   #67
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Having tried most of the others, including Kievs, I will say they 4 is the best all around. Don't even waste time or money on anything else unless you just want collectibles.

Old 10-29-2018   #68
David Hughes
David Hughes

Welcome on board.

Regards, David
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaXeros View Post
Can confirm this.

My first RF was a Zorki 4K with a black Jupiter 8. Bought a Jupiter 12, which still doesn't see much use, and if it wasn't for how pretty it looks on the shelf with my Z1, I'd be selling it. Next was a Fed 3b with Industar-61. Then a Zorki 1 with Industar-22. Then a Zorki 4 with red P Jupiter-8.

All of this pushed me to buying a Leica IIIf, which I'm currently trying to modify the Red-P J8 to work with, because it is an absolutely STUNNING lens and I will be heartbroken if I can't make it work.

It's a VERY steep and slippery slope.

Last edited by David Hughes : 10-29-2018 at 09:50. Reason: CRLF's

Old 10-29-2018   #69
mteresko

Here's my '58 Zorki-4 from OKVintage with a '56 Jupiter-12 I just got.

Old 10-29-2018   #70
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:

Red P is nothing but indication of lens coating. Покрытие.
They aren't better. They are different.
Earlier have less contrast and focus collar with more advanced focus helicoid. Later one have more contrast, better coating for color film.
And easier to re-shim due to simplified construction.

I had all of them numerous times. I can't see any difference from earlier silver to latest black on bw prints.
Currently I have silver with collar with missing shim and mint black one.