Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Converting BW to...um...BW
Old 08-24-2009   #1
remegius

Converting BW to...um...BW

I'm not sure just what is going on here. I started shooting BW400CN a few days ago, and having it processed with CD at Costco. I noticed when loading the files in Photoshop that they are all RGB files. After doing a little tweaking in PS I printed a couple of files on my 9180 and things just didn't look right. The prints had a bit of a blue color cast, and when I looked carefully at the image on the monitor I could see it there too. On a lark I converted one of the files to grayscale and...voila, I got...grayscale. I'm a little perplexed by all of this. Yes, BW400CN is a C41 film, but even though it has an orange mask like its color cousins, it's still a black and white film. Why should I have to convert the scans that I am getting (good ones, BTW) from Costco to grayscale, when the film itself is black and white to begin with. I'm sure that the answer to all of this is embarrassingly simple but, what the heck, I'm not thin-skinned.

Cheers...

Rem

Above all else this is the greatest treason, to do the right thing for the wrong reason.