Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

Old 02-16-2020   #121
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Oh please, don't exaggerate. In all likely hood, you will get a hand inspection at all airports that have these machine, then there's the option of buying film at your destination or FedEx/UPS it to your destination before you leave, and have it developed there.
Not exaggerating. As already stated in this thread by different people they've been refused hand checks at Heathrow. Not worth traveling with film when there's a possibility of your film being refused a hand check.

Old 02-16-2020   #122
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
Not exaggerating. As already stared in this thread by different people they've been refused hand checks at Heathrow. Not worth traveling with film when there's a possibility of your film being refused a hand check.
I agree the main stress point is that when carrying film, the decision of handcheck lies on the people at the security point with a seemingly random to negative response. No hand check, film is zapped and damaged... It's a lot of risk, specially for exposed film.

I actually don't really travel with film, shuttling between two locations in the EU which currently do not have CT scanners and may not in the medium term. As the other place is my family home, logistics are fairly easy.

For multiple leg trips in further locations (think hopping between SE Asia countries), the logistics seem more demanding.

Old 02-16-2020   #123
Rangefinder 35

I stopped using the X-Ray bags, when I was told that if the security agent see something
opaque on their zap machines, they run it again with higher dose of X-Rays...
I never had the visible problem with the film, and I flew to S.America (and back). but then I use slow film...

Old 02-16-2020   #124
Brian Atherton

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
...then there's the option of buying film at your destination or FedEx/UPS it to your destination before you leave, and have it developed there.
Is it not the case that in many countries that FedEx/UPS packages go through X-ray machines at customs, at least randomly chosen, before being released to the customer?

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-20-2020   #125
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I feel badly for our friends in the UK and EU. I hope there can be a positive resolution (no pun intended) for the new film destroying CT scanners. I'm not sure how popular instax is with travellers and tourists compared to "traditional" 135, 120, or large format film, but now that Fuji has put out a warning, perhaps that will help the cause.

Here in the US, I flew from San Jose to Denver yesterday for the long weekend. SJC doesn't have the new CT scanners yet, and normally I would have just sent everything through the X-ray machine, but I just wanted to see how amenable TSA employees would be to a request for hand check. I requested hand check for the 5 rolls of 35mm film I was carrying (in a Japan Camera Hunter film case), and had no issues. It was a mix of home bulk-rolled cassettes, and some factory loaded HP5+. I don't think the Denver airport has the new CT scanners either, but I'll report back on my return leg.
I don't think they have the new CT scanners, but for whatever it's worth, I had no issues with hand check for my film on my return flight from DEN -> SJC.

Just out of curiosity, is there a TSA equivalent agency in Europe? As of now, TSA lists the airports in the US where the new CT scanners have been deployed. Wondering if our EU/UK counterparts know which airports have the new CT scanners.

flickr

Old 02-21-2020   #126
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I don't think they didn't have the new CT scanners, but for whatever it's worth, I had no issues with hand check for my film on my return flight from DEN -> SJC.

Just out of curiosity, is there a TSA equivalent agency in Europe? As of now, TSA lists the airports in the US where the new CT scanners have been deployed. Wondering if our EU/UK counterparts know which airports have the new CT scanners.
No. Each country runs its own security. Rules are quite similar, but there is no single entity. We are still separate countries - some republics and some kingdoms (not states or counties ) In fact, EU commission is setting some common rules (mandatory or as recommendation), so in a way it is THE agency for EU, but not really an equivalent to TSA.

Old 02-21-2020   #127
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
Not exaggerating. As already stated in this thread by different people they've been refused hand checks at Heathrow. Not worth traveling with film when there's a possibility of your film being refused a hand check.
Were they really refused though, or was it maybe something that could have been resolved by calling a manager, since some have had hand checks at Heathrow.

I think we have a tendency to be too easily cowed by authority figures. In the worst case, one could refuse to go through, stay in the terminal, and demand a refund from the airline.

Old 02-21-2020   #128
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
Were they really refused though, or was it maybe something that could have been resolved by calling a manager, since some have had hand checks at Heathrow.

I think we have a tendency to be too easily cowed by authority figures. In the worst case, one could refuse to go through, stay in the terminal, and demand a refund from the airline.
I was refused every single time, and I was told in no uncertain terms that it wasn't going to happen.
Travelling through security at an airport is not like shopping at a mall. There is no complaining to higher ups to get better service. All you will do is make things more miserable for yourself, perhaps get an extra search etc.
They do not like it when you create a fuss. At all.
Try it for yourself.

Who here got a hand check at Heathrow? And what year?

Old 02-21-2020   #129
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
...In the worst case, one could refuse to go through, stay in the terminal, and demand a refund from the airline.
Hah! I've not been through Heathrow, but can certainly imagine this failing miserably anywhere in the US.

Old 02-21-2020   #130
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Hah! I've not been through Heathrow, but can certainly imagine this failing miserably anywhere in the US.
The U.S. guarantees hand checks for film. I think we have established that. This is about other countries. I live in the U.S. and strongly dislike a lot of aspects of the society, but let's at least give credit where credit is due. Most airports actually have signs at the security check regarding film safety and the officers have always been knowledgeable when I asked them about my film or immediately deferred to another officer who was.

And no, in the U.S. you are not forced to go through security and abandon or destroy your things. Only if you want to catch your flight. You can turn around and you can leave the airport. You can always go outside without passing security, just not into the departure area.