Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Canonet: calibrating meter help
Old 01-11-2006   #1
juggler

Canonet: calibrating meter help

Hi,

I have some Canonets: original Canonet 19, old Canonet QL17 and new Canonet GIII QL17. They all give slightly different exposures when I meter them off the same scene. I had them all set to the same ASA. I am using the original mercury battery, if applicable.

How do I adjust them to have the right exposure?

What I plan to do is to make use of the ASA setting on each camera if I know which one is overexposing or underexposing. Say if I know one is consistently giving me 1 stop underexposure, I will set the ASA to be 200 if I use a 400 film.

To compare this, I plan use my EOS 1N with a EF28-105 lens set at approximately 40mm or 45mm and with the same ASA setting as the Canonets. Then I take their metering off a evenly lit wall.

Assuming the EOS is correct, can I just adjust the ASA on the Canonets accordingly until I get the same exposure reading?

Will this work? Any other way to calibrate the Canonet metering so that it is reliable?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2006   #2
BrianShaw
-

Is the difference in meter reading really enough to warrant this much effort? How much difference have you observed?

Old 01-12-2006   #3
juggler

OK, I just tried it using a simple method. No lens hood or filters used. I do not have a light meter to confirm.

At ASA 400, shutter 1/60:

Test 1: Unevenly lit scene:

Canonet 19: f8
Canonet QL17: f8
GIII QL17: ~ f4.5 -- over by 1.5 stops above f8
EOS 1N + EF28-105 @ 40mm: f7.1 -- "evaluative metering"

Test 2: Evenly lit bright wall

Canonet 19: f8
Canonet QL17: f11
GIII QL17: ~f5.6 -- approx 1 stop above f8
EOS 1N + EF28-105 @ 40mm : f8 -- "evaluative metering"

Looks like the GIII QL17 disagree by 1 to 1.5 stops overexposure.
I guess may be not much to worry about on film.

But do you guys readjust the metering or change the ASA to correct the readings?

Old 01-12-2006   #4
Kim Coxon

Hi,
The adjustment for the GIII is done by removing the top and the trim pot is behind the film transport flag.

There is also a trim resister under the top of the original QL17.

I am not sure about original 19. My service manual is at work. I will look tomorrow and try and post a reply.

Regards
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
Hi,

I have some Canonets: original Canonet 19, old Canonet QL17 and new Canonet GIII QL17. They all give slightly different exposures when I meter them off the same scene. I had them all set to the same ASA. I am using the original mercury battery, if applicable.

How do I adjust them to have the right exposure?

What I plan to do is to make use of the ASA setting on each camera if I know which one is overexposing or underexposing. Say if I know one is consistently giving me 1 stop underexposure, I will set the ASA to be 200 if I use a 400 film.

To compare this, I plan use my EOS 1N with a EF28-105 lens set at approximately 40mm or 45mm and with the same ASA setting as the Canonets. Then I take their metering off a evenly lit wall.

Assuming the EOS is correct, can I just adjust the ASA on the Canonets accordingly until I get the same exposure reading?

Will this work? Any other way to calibrate the Canonet metering so that it is reliable?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2006   #5
Kim Coxon

Hi,
Removing the top is not difficult on the GIII's. I tend to reset for silver cells as it makes life much easier. You couls adjust the ASA setting to give the apeoximate reading. However if the trim is out the error is not linear and will get greater the brighter the conditions. If you trim it, you won't have to remember to offset the ASA either.

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
Looks like the GIII QL17 disagree by 1 to 1.5 stops overexposure.
I guess may be not much to worry about on film.

But do you guys readjust the metering or change the ASA to correct the readings?

Old 01-20-2006   #6
ErnestoJL

Recently Iīve readjusted the meter on my QL 17 (the big one, not the "new") just because Iīm using alkaline cells (1.5 V against 1.35 of the originalmercury cell). It was easy as to readjust the trimmer resistor on top of the meter assy, checking it with same target, a stable source of light and using a hand held meter (Luna Pro) for comparison purposes. As the meter is of series design, the adjust isnīt linear, however the difference isnīt bigger half a stop which is adequate for me.

Ernesto

Old 01-20-2006   #7
Kim Coxon

Hi,
You are better off using silver cells rather than alkalines. Silver cells hav a fairly constant discharge curve so the voltage remains stable for most of the life of the battery like mercury cells. Alkaline have a very unstable curve and the voltage will drop about 0.25v or more over their life.

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestoJL
Recently Iīve readjusted the meter on my QL 17 (the big one, not the "new") just because Iīm using alkaline cells (1.5 V against 1.35 of the originalmercury cell). It was easy as to readjust the trimmer resistor on top of the meter assy, checking it with same target, a stable source of light and using a hand held meter (Luna Pro) for comparison purposes. As the meter is of series design, the adjust isnīt linear, however the difference isnīt bigger half a stop which is adequate for me.

Ernesto

Old 01-21-2006   #8
ErnestoJL

Thanks Kim for the advice, youīre right about discharge. I knew about this discharge curve because I use a lot of 625 alkaline batteries for other projects (portable measuring/detection devices). Thatīs why Iīm using them very often (they are allways at hand). Itīs allways best to use silver oxide batteries than alkalines, they last longer and voltage is more stable against temperature variations, not to mention discharge curve.
Ernesto