Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Pecker...I hate to say this, but
Old 02-27-2006   #1
Jon Goodman

Pecker...I hate to say this, but

I'm more than a little bit disappointed. I have been watching/listening to this grand epic of a $15,000 total budget movie while working tonight, and several things have struck me:
1) At best, this is a poor movie. At worst, I'm hesitant to say what it is. It sort of reminds me of "Two Lane Blacktop" with even less of a plot.
2) As bad as it is, it has a redeeming and VERY valuable side benefit. I think this movie will protect your home from burglary forever. Here is how: When you leave, simply turn on your TV and VCR with the movie playing. If a robber breaks into your house, he will see this on the TV, begin watching it, and before he realizes what is happening, so many of his brain cells will be destroyed, he will be unable to figure out how to get back out of your house. You (and the police) will find him blinking and drooling and staring into space when you return.
3) This movie probably ended the hopes and dreams of several actors and actresses. Mary Kay Place (the one recognizable name) probably wishes "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" had never been cancelled, forcing her to take parts like this.
4) Anybody here could have made a better movie! Did you notice how many extreme close-ups Pecker took with his Canonet? Some of them were as close as 50 cm. What would he have needed to pull this off? That's right...he would have needed an "Auto-Up"...just like the one currently being offered in conjunction with the cute Minolta Hi-Matic F on RFF.
5) I think the Cecil B DeMille of the new millennium is in our audience somewhere. Get that Hi-Matic F and save us from "Pecker II"...please! It could happen. And it could be worse...maybe a lot worse.
6) Remember, the "Pecker" actors/actresses would be older. Sort of like the aging Harry Potter cast. Soon, I understand they're going to release the final movie in that series..."Harry Potter and the Catheter of Fire."
7) I'm just kidding. The last movie in the series is "Harry and the Heartbreak of Psoriasis." Anybody knows that.

Jon

Old 02-27-2006   #2
ch1

Jon,

I have to ask this - and I mean no disrespect. Salesmanship is an honorable profession:

During the day - do you sell used cars like the guys on those "local" TV ads?

Old 02-27-2006   #3
bcs89
Contented Oly Owner

"Two Lane Blacktop"

Yup - he's a car guy.

Her hands are cold, her breath is warm,
She's a port in a storm.
I'm worried now, but it won't be long.
It takes a worried man, you know, to sing a worried song.

Old 97's

Old 02-27-2006   #4
AsahiPentax
Suffers from Nikon envy

I didn't like Pecker either. Very boring and pointless IMHO

Support our Troops
Website

Old 02-27-2006   #5
Jon Goodman

Car salesman? Nah, actually I'm a pilot for Mayflower.
Jon

Old 02-27-2006   #6
amateriat
We're all light!

I haven't seen Pecker, but I have seen Two-Lane Blacktop several times (the first two times on the big screen), and enjoyed it a lot. Granted, it's the proverbial "love it or hate it" movie (and more than a few friends thought I was nuts for being in the former camp). I still want to see Pecker in spite of the mixed reviews (and also in spite of the fact that I'm not a major John Waters fan).

By contrast, I've heard truly awful things about the recent bio-drama about Harold Edgerton, which saddened me.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 02-27-2006   #7
captainslack
Five Goats Hunter

You're not alone, Jon. My wife & I turned it off before it was through.

Old 02-27-2006   #8
Rich Silfver

Couldn't stand the movie.

Old 02-27-2006   #9
bcs89
Contented Oly Owner

So Taylor cant act - the '55 is the star!

Her hands are cold, her breath is warm,
She's a port in a storm.
I'm worried now, but it won't be long.
It takes a worried man, you know, to sing a worried song.

Old 97's

Old 02-27-2006   #10
Jon Goodman

"Pecker" would have been much better if it had been a silent movie with captions from a completely different movie....like "My Cousin Vinnie" or "Paint Your Wagon."

Old 02-27-2006   #11
wlewisiii

I have to agree that I didn't care for it. But the most pointless movie I've had the misfortune of sitting through has to be Eraserhead. Comparatively Pecker is a delight...

William

Last edited by wlewisiii : 02-27-2006 at 19:19. Reason: Spelling, as always...

Old 02-27-2006   #12
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Goodman
"Pecker" would have been much better if it had been a silent movie with captions from a completely different movie....like "My Cousin Vinnie" or "Paint Your Wagon."
Ah but Jon:

"5) I think the Cecil B DeMille of the new millennium is in our audience somewhere. Get that Hi-Matic F and save us from "Pecker II"...please! It could happen. And it could be worse...maybe a lot worse."

Are we selling them on that Hi-Matic yet. Let's not lose "purpose" here with "banter"

Gotta love this guy!!

Old 02-27-2006   #13
afaceinthecrowd
AKA - Dan Wilkin

Definetly in the minority but I liked it John Waters isn't everyones cup of tea though

dan

Old 02-27-2006   #14
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

John is being very generous in his description of it.. I'm trying to think of one redeeming quality about it other than the Canonet and Christina Ricci's tight outfits.. and I'm not even sure about her outfits.. I also turned it off after a half hour.. it's not like it was even remotely possible in a parallel universe that Pecker's "art" was being shot by his camera

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 02-27-2006   #15
Jon Goodman

Well, George, I'm certainly trying to help somebody realize how that Hi-Matic could bring them much closer to living their dreams, but at the same time, I'm working on a stream of thought here. See, now I've proposed "Pecker" might have been better as a silent movie, and the technology of that cute little Hi-Matic F surely fits with a silent movie production, doesn't it? I mean, it isn't exactly a camcorder. And Cecil B DeMille...well, C B actually got his start in silent movies, so I'd say that logically fits into my scheme, and as for Pecker...the last line in the movie is "So what's next, Pecker?" (and Pecker's reply is) "Well, uh, you know...I'm thinking about directing a movie."

Kind of one of those "chickens come home to roost" ideas, if you happen to think like a chicken.
Jon

Old 02-27-2006   #16
ch1

Now I could tell everyone that they should Duck this offer because if they don't their Goose will be cooked. Since, after all, if they buy your Hi-Matic thinking their making a movie sequel to Pecker they are going to look like a bunch of Turkeys who didn't have the good sense to Chicken out when they should have!

Whew!

Now if that doesn't sell your Hi-Matic - I don't know what will!

Old 02-27-2006   #17
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Jon has the most creative approach to his 35 mm Classifieds on RFF, I'm doubtful that anyone comes close .. he's also a gentleman. Something some others at RFF could benefit from by emulating his style.

Right Jon? Heh! :- D

it's all about light

Old 02-27-2006   #18
allthumbs

Well, I didn't think much of Pecker the first time I saw it, but it turned out to be a much better movie the second time around.

It irks me though that the photos in the movie were taken with an 80's SLR.

Old 02-27-2006   #19
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan normandale
Jon has the most creative approach to his 35 mm Classifieds on RFF, I'm doubtful that anyone comes close .. he's also a gentleman. Something some others at RFF could benefit from by emulating his style.

Right Jon? Heh! :- D
Which is why I love his spiels.

Actually, I thought he got too much into the movie review on this one that folks have had trouble finding the real message (i.e. that he wants to sell you the Hi-Matic)!

It's amazing how many folks are keying off of the movie and not seeing the sales pitch!

Or maybe they are?

Perhaps Jon has such a subtle touch that - err Jon, did someone "bite" on the Hi-Matic yet?

Old 02-27-2006   #20
Krasnaya_Zvezda

"Two Lane Blacktop"--- saw it when 1st released on big screen. I was what, 17 or 18. When it ended, I turned to my buddy and said, "I could've saved a couple of hours and just thrown $2.50 down a sewer instead of sitting through this crap."
Well. Not so long ago, it was on cable, and I thought surely it wasn't as bad as I recall... hah, I was surprised to find that I had a little taste and eye for quality even as a misguided teen, for that movie STILL STUNK!
And so did "Pecker". Except for the wacky grandma and her Virgin Mary.
"Enthusiast movies". Some people who are fanatics over certain things, like rangefinders or cars, will enjoy a movie about their chosen subject no matter how lousy it is.
Golfers and "Tin Cup" comes to mind.
I, on the other hand, really enjoyed "Searching for Bobby Fischer", even though it was formulaic and trite.

Old 02-27-2006   #21
Jon Goodman

I think it should close the deal! The bird thing is good symbolism...after all, didn't Pecker get his name because he pecked at his food like a bird?

For the sake of curiosity or possibly masochism, I'm letting the movie play again. Actually, it is because my wife is out of town, there is nothing good on PBS and I'm to the really dull and dry part of "Guns, Germs and Steel" where Jared Diamond is wasting about 50 pages explaining how China became Chinese. Have you read that book? Interesting, but sort of repetitious. Anyway, there are so many esoteric touches to "Pecker" that you only truly appreciate the second time. At least that sounds good and mystic, doesn't it? Sort of like looking at that picture of "The Temple of the Rose Cross." You see something new (and odd) with each viewing.
Jon

Old 02-27-2006   #22
Jon Goodman

Actually, I just looked at the picture of "The Temple of the Rose Cross" again, and I have to tell you it is pretty interesting. Gotta love those Rosicrucians. Imaginative guys that would have been the life of the party in the 60s.

BUT...and this is the important part...If I had chosen to, I could take a perfectly acceptable duplicate of it using the still unclaimed Hi-Matic F and the Auto-Up attachment.

Pecker just sold a picture for $30. That should double his salary for acting job he did, and I think it is just $5 away from the price I offered the Hi-Matic (sans the special attachment) for. Gosh, but this movie is almost as good of an insomnia cure as a textbook on public utility rate economics.
Jon

Old 02-27-2006   #23
wlewisiii

Jon, I'd be tempted but I've got a bid in on an Orion 28/6 that will be way more than I can truely afford if it wins (a doable bid. Just silly tight). If it's still in your hands in a week, I might be in trouble though

William

Old 02-27-2006   #24
franceluxemburg
First name : J-B

Sorry to desagree with the majority.
My wife and I did liked Pecker when whe watched it in a movie theater in Belgium,
i keep a good memory of it !!
- for the record, went to see 325 movies at movies theaters last year - (we do not have a TV set).

Cheers.

J.B.

Old 02-28-2006   #25
Brian Sweeney

I just cannot bring myself to see a movie that went with the Canonet 28 over a Canonet QL17. Now that is cutting the budget too tight.

Old 02-28-2006   #26
Double Vision

Well, when the best thing about the movie is a camera it's probably not good sign. Just because a movie is about photography doesn't make it great. It just makes it rare.

Old 02-28-2006   #27
Jon Goodman

On another note, I believe the Hi-Matic is gone. But....there will be others coming soon.
Best regards,
Jon