Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Buying camera just because of the lens.
Old 07-05-2017   #1
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Buying camera just because of the lens.

Have you ever purchased camera just because you have lens?

I received as the gift Keiv-19 in 2016. Camera itself is better than Zenit; veiwfinder, focus glass is bright, wide and sharp(on pair with OM, IMO).
And Helios-81H (H is for Nikon mount) lens...
It is small, it is all metal, it has shiny aperture blades , it is MC and glass is with Lanthanum. The way it renders indoors and wide open is impressive. IMO, impressive comparing to OM.Zuiko 50 1.8 which was the lens I started to question high prices of Leica 50mm lenses.

Even if I'm not SLR guy, every time I was looking at previously taken bw images with Helios-81H MC, it was making me using it again. It is what I want for 50mm lens on Leica, but 50 2 from Leica now is something old with problem glass or new, but out of my price range. Yet, Kiev-19 is one kilo brick for my neck. It is heavy for me after FED-2 with J-3 and even Leica with the Rigid is less heavy. So, couple of days ago I paid for Nikon FG-20. Hopefully, it will works on arrival and it will works with this Helios lens.

Old 07-05-2017   #2
mich rassena

I've certainly had my eye on a Helios-81H for a while and wouldn't hesitate to get one when attached to a camera if it were cheaper. Using a Kiev 19 with Nikon lenses might be a novelty in itself. I once bought a Zenit with an Industar 50/3.5 which I now use on micro 4/3, and I haven't been disappointed with that purchase. I've barely used the Zenit, which is among the most primitive 35mm SLRs I've seen.

Old 07-05-2017   #3
Scapevision
90% Film

I bought a non-working Leica R3 MOT with the 50mm Cron on it, just for the lens. It cost me 60 bucks in the end after selling the body for parts. This beat to f...s up cron is much better than any Canon L i've ever had. I don't know why they keep feeding us with crap lenses. Never bought a body for a lens I've already had.

Old 07-05-2017   #4
mpaniagua

Bought a Fed 5b for the mint INDUSTAR-61 L/D attached to it. Actually, Fed 5b isn't that bad, it just feel cheap but really not that bad Problem is it begs to be disassembled and mess up with (being cheap and all) so I normally keep it on shelf.

Regards

Marcelo.

Old 07-05-2017   #5
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I have mighty and clean Jupiter-3 which came this way to my hands. We were searching for one in Moscow and it was cheaper and better deal ... with Zorki-4 attached to it.
The camera was actually working, but not my cup of tea...

Old 07-05-2017   #6
mpaniagua

Also, bought a mint Rolleifles sl35e for my QBM lenses. Love those lenses and my prior sl35e was stuck on manual mode (ASA setting knob was broken, but otherwise working just fine). Got other aperture priority cameras but really love how this one feels on hand and a pleasure when they work .

Regards

Marcelo

Old 07-05-2017   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

The 85mm Nikkor in S mount that showed up in an auction lot was the seed that became my S-2 outfit.

And I was given a DX AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm with a broken mount that eventually became the basis for my APS-C DSLR kit.

PF

Old 07-05-2017   #8
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Bought a 1958 2x3 Linhof Tech IV with a Zeiss 100/2.8 Planar.

The camera body is a shelf queen, and the camera came with mucho extras: cable release; grip; masks; hood; film holders; instruction manuals. The body and extras alone were worth the $750.00 I paid.

The 100/2.8 Planar has lens separation on the rear element, so the gamble here is whether or not John at Focal Point can repair this lens. I feel lucky...

Pretty much this camera is as old as me and if I can get the Planar repaired I have a killer deal for no money.

Cal

Old 07-05-2017   #9
AlexBG

Bought a Minolta X700 because I had the 58mm 1.4 as a 85mm portrait lens for my X-T1.

Old 07-05-2017   #10
pschauss

I tried to use a Helios 81H on a Nikon N2000 and it jammed. I could not get to seat completely nor could I remove it. From that point on I have mounted only Nikkor or Tamron Adaptall lenses on my Nikons.

Old 07-05-2017   #11
unixrevolution

I bought a 400mm f/5.6 lens at a thrift store. It turned out to be Konica AR and so I bought a body to try it with.

The body wouldn't focus to infinity so I bought another body...

Then I decided to see if it was the lens so I bought a fifty to test with...

then saw a 58 1.4 that looked nice..

And the cool little 40/1.8...

And then I saw the switchablue full/half-frame Konica Autoreflex, and man, I already have some lenses to go with it...

It snowballed. The 400 never did work right. Sold it cheap. Then divested of the rest of the system.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 07-05-2017   #12
zuiko85

Good lenses are where you find them. Shooting Olympus half frame Pen VF cameras for several years, the 4 element 28mm f3.5 lens was a fine, scale focus little optic, plenty sharp enough. Then, almost on a whim, I bought a Pen D with the 6 element 32mm f1.9.....wow! So impressed, at about 5.6 resolution seem to go on forever. Of course the somewhat longer focal length probably helps but that cannot be the whole story. Mayhaps my particular sample just happens to be good, I've never tried another, but it's one optic I'll never let go of.

Old 07-05-2017   #13
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post
I've certainly had my eye on a Helios-81H for a while and wouldn't hesitate to get one when attached to a camera if it were cheaper. Using a Kiev 19 with Nikon lenses might be a novelty in itself. I once bought a Zenit with an Industar 50/3.5 which I now use on micro 4/3, and I haven't been disappointed with that purchase. I've barely used the Zenit, which is among the most primitive 35mm SLRs I've seen.
I own the Kiev 19 camera.

The native lenses are good optically but just like the Kiev 60 lenses, the auto aperture gets gummed up over time because of oil in the lens migrating to the diaphragm blades and making them stick open.

Old 07-05-2017   #14
jsrockit

I'm more of a body first type of buyer.

Old 07-05-2017   #15
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Thanks for all of the comments, more info and learned lessons provided!
Now if lens will eventually seize or camera will be DOA, I'm not going to buy more SLR stuff, no no no.

Old 07-05-2017   #16
Fraser

A nikon F3 for a nikkor 35mm ais, still got the lens sold the camera.

Old 07-05-2017   #17
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I have mighty and clean Jupiter-3 which came this way to my hands. We were searching for one in Moscow and it was cheaper and better deal ... with Zorki-4 attached to it.
The camera was actually working, but not my cup of tea...
The Zorki 4 is a great camera, the earlier made, the better.

Old 07-05-2017   #18
ColSebastianMoran

Just found a might-not-work Olympus OM-10 for cheap. Bought it because it had the 50 f/1.4 lens attached, bit of a crap-shoot. Lens is good. I lucked out.

Frosting on the cake: the body is good too.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing, more soon.
Photos, descriptions of for sale items previously listed here: this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 07-05-2017   #19
Contarama

I've purchased a few lenses knowing that I would eventually get a block for them. That led to purchasing blocks to get a good finder and certain parts and screws to make everything correct. I'm all good now...money goes to film and processing.

Old 07-05-2017   #20
lynnb

I really like the look of a BP Zorki 4...

Old 07-05-2017   #21
lynnb

I bought a Topcon RE Super for its Topcor 58mm f/1.4 lens. It's a large camera and the shutter is not exactly subtle but the lens is great!

Topcon-RE-Super_1 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

twilight #774 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

Old 07-05-2017   #22
Dogman

I just bought a used Olympus OMD EM1 body so I could use my old Olympus 4/3 lenses (with adapters) on a Micro 4/3 body. I guess that qualifies as buying a camera just because of the lens.

I love those lenses but my old Olympus 4/3 bodies are no longer fun to use.

Old 07-05-2017   #23
jonmanjiro

Quote:

If you started with a lens cap, and work back from I'd think you were a bit crazy (don't laugh I know people who have!) but starting with a lens and getting a body to put it on... sure, why not. I've never done it but I could see myself doing it for a lens that interested me.

Old 07-06-2017   #24
mich rassena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
I own the Kiev 19 camera.

The native lenses are good optically but just like the Kiev 60 lenses, the auto aperture gets gummed up over time because of oil in the lens migrating to the diaphragm blades and making them stick open.
Very good to know. Quite a few of those lenses are available for auction, and it's hard to know the good from the bad. If I buy one, maybe I'll just plan on having to open it up.

Old 07-06-2017   #25
ColSebastianMoran

Another case for me: Hearing about the quality of the Yashica Electro lens, I bought this fixed lens camera purely for the lens. The body is good but nothing about the body particularly interested me. Bought and used just for the lens. In fact, I bought a couple of these gems.

Here's one (red lettering is non-standard):

In Classifieds Now: Nothing, more soon.
Photos, descriptions of for sale items previously listed here: this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 07-06-2017   #26
Peter_S

An M9 (now "affordable") to fully use the potential of the VM Ultron 21mm, which has become my favourite lens for digital

www.ps-photo.net
Twitter
Voigtländer Photographer
LFI Gallery

Old 07-06-2017   #27
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Essentially, I bought the Hasselblad SWC specifically because I wanted that Zeiss Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* lens.

G

Old 07-06-2017   #28
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I bought the Konica Hexar AF because of the lens. Wish I never sold it.
A long time ago i bought a Spotmatic 500 just for the Super-Multi-Coated 50mm f/1.4 that was stuck to it.
I invested into a whole Mamiya 6 kit just for the 50mm lens and it was probably the best photographic decision I ever made. Bought a second body just to mate the 50mm to exclusively.
Just the other day I thought about buying a Fed-5 just for the J-8 lens on it.

Phil Forrest

Old 07-06-2017   #29
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
I bought the Konica Hexar AF because of the lens. Wish I never sold it.
A long time ago i bought a Spotmatic 500 just for the Super-Multi-Coated 50mm f/1.4 that was stuck to it.
I invested into a whole Mamiya 6 kit just for the 50mm lens and it was probably the best photographic decision I ever made. Bought a second body just to mate the 50mm to exclusively.
Just the other day I thought about buying a Fed-5 just for the J-8 lens on it.

Phil Forrest
Phil,

I owned a Mamiya 6 and my only lens was the 50mm.

I ended up loosing the Mamiya rig in a trade with an art dealer for some vintage Bruce Davidson prints from the Welsh Miners series.

That 50 on a Mamiya 6 was a great walk around camera.

Cal

Old 1 Week Ago   #30
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

UPD: I tested camera with Keiv lens. It was great.

I have Nikkor 50 E (one of the latest ones) lens now.

Old 1 Week Ago   #31
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

I bought my Pentax MX for the 40mm f/2.8 on it.

And ME for the SMC Pentax K 55mm f/1.8. It's one of a few lenses that justify the heft of it.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 1 Week Ago   #32
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Bought a 1958 2x3 Linof Tech IV with a Zeiss 100/2.8 Planar.

The camera body is a shelf queen, and the camera came with mucho extras: cable release; grip; masks; hood; film holders; instruction manuals. The body and extras alone were worth the $750.00 I paid.

The 100/2.8 Planar has lens separation on the rear element, so the gamble here is whether or not John at Focal Point can repair this lens. I feel lucky...

Pretty much this camera is as old as me and if I can get the Planar repaired I have a killer deal for no money.

Cal
UPDATE: Sent the Linhof Select Zeiss 100/2.8 Planar to John at Focal Point to have the lens separation repaired. Cost was $250.00.

The risk here was that separating the elements to be able to recement them involves heat, compounded by use of different materials that have different rates of coefficient of expansion that could cause shattering of a lens element. The risk was on me, and if the lens was unrepairable I would still have to foot the bill. In other words all the risk was mine.

I should be getting my successfully repaired 100 Planar delivered tomorrow. I'm a lucky guy. I feel like I just won a lottery.

BTW the entire camera is mucho clean like a time machine going back to 1958.

Cal

Old 1 Week Ago   #33
css9450

I suspect most of the inexpensive Nicca and Tower camera bodies available on Ebay are there because someone scooped them up for their Nikkor lenses, then flipped the bodies.

Old 1 Week Ago   #34
iamzip
Ambitious, but rubbish

I foolishly bought the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 in Canon EOS mount, even though I really couldn't justify it. I had a digital rebel XT and a 35mm rebel K2 at the time, but neither of those is really suited to manual focusing. So, I found a Canon EF-M, the only manual focus 35mm camera canon made in EOS mount. It is a decontented model built for low price export only, but it has a very nice focusing screen.

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film149.html

Old 1 Week Ago   #35
lxmike
Cat, coffee, camera:Check

Yes a Rollei 35 for the Tessar and a Nikon EM for the E series 100mm 2.8
Current analog SLR: Nikon F Ftn, Pentax MX, Minolta XE-1.

myblog:lifefromawindow

myRFFgallery:

Old 1 Week Ago   #36
Huss

I bought an M10 for the 50mm Apo that came with it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #37
Rayt

I bought a Retina for the 47mm Ektar. I had in mind to have the Ektar converted to M mount but the folding Retina body is so compact I am going to try to shoot with it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #38
AlwaysOnAuto

I recently bought a Nikon FG for the Micro Nikkor 55 2.8 that was on it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #39
Archlich

A Kodak Medalist II arrived last month. Went to the technician last week, came back fully functional.

Its 100/3.5 Ektar will shine!

Old 1 Week Ago   #40
p.giannakis

Quote:
Plenty of times - most notably a Zorki 4 for the J-8 to be used with my Leica and more recently an Olympus 35DC with sticky shutter just for the wonderful Zuiko 40 f/1.7.

Top example for me - I bought dead cheap a non functional Voigtlander Focusing Brillant. I don't shoot much MF and i am not a great fun of TLR's either but this example came with the legendary 75 f/3.5 Heliar.

Still waiting to be seen by the camera doctor in order to be fully appreciated...