Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

Too good to be true?
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
TerryMcC

Too good to be true?

There is a Nikon SP 2005 offered for sale USD1050, item no.332405893102.
Has anyone any dealings with "engsales01"?
He puts items up as an auction and then says he only sells at a price written in the description. He says to use a message button and he will contact the buyer in 5 minutes. Sounds suspect to me.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
TerryMcC

Just noticed, he is based in Florida but ships from China. Maybe he is related to a Nigerian prince?

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
FujiLove

Definite scam. Avoid.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMcC View Post
He says to use a message button and he will contact the buyer in 5 minutes.
He's probably trying to circumvent certain Ebay fees, by completing the sale off the record. Assuming its not a complete scam of course. And if it IS a scam... You'll get no help from Ebay because the sale was done off the record.

Avoid.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

He has also been listing Leica items. I just reported several of his ads this morning for the M9-P and the Noctilux. Just click on "report" and select the applicable responses. Let's put this guy out of business!

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
JMQ

"if it's too good to be true, it usually is" caveat emptor.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMcC View Post
There is a Nikon SP 2005 offered for sale USD1050, item no.332405893102.
Has anyone any dealings with "engsales01"?
He puts items up as an auction and then says he only sells at a price written in the description. He says to use a message button and he will contact the buyer in 5 minutes. Sounds suspect to me.
Clearly a violation of ebay listing practices and will likely be removed very soon.
these types of listings show up all the time, look at everything they have listed for sale, they are all the same format. Ebay will shut down the listings and the account pronto.

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
TerryMcC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
He has also been listing Leica items. I just reported several of his ads this morning for the M9-P and the Noctilux. Just click on "report" and select the applicable responses. Let's put this guy out of business!
Yes! I reported him for this Nikon. This is the best way to deal with these people.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
DavidRaaum

I saw this ad about a month ago and almost fell for it. He didn't want to use PayPal but some other method of payment that made me very suspicious. The seller said that he was going thru a divorce and that his paypal account was locked. I reported him to ebay in a chat session. Their first response was that this seller was a "trusted" ebay seller - I still refused to do it. The item was mysteriously de-listed within 45 minutes of me raising the issue. If it's too good to be true then it's probably a lie.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
menos

If it smells fish it usually is.
No-one sells an item at half the usual going price AND uses strange practices trying to circumvent rules of the sales platform.

The article number is not listed any more, thanks for reporting that no poor soul can be hurt by this scammer.

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Timmyjoe

We had a long discussion about this a couple weeks ago. Been going on for decades.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...highlight=eBay

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRaaum View Post
I saw this ad about a month ago and almost fell for it. He didn't want to use PayPal but some other method of payment that made me very suspicious. The seller said that he was going thru a divorce and that his paypal account was locked. I reported him to ebay in a chat session. Their first response was that this seller was a "trusted" ebay seller - I still refused to do it. The item was mysteriously de-listed within 45 minutes of me raising the issue. If it's too good to be true then it's probably a lie.
A fine example of why I call it EvilBay.

B2 (;->