Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Digital Yashica
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
gilpen123
Gil

Digital Yashica

Wow this is exciting https://photorumors.com/2017/09/22/y...er-next-month/ Anyone heard about this?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
When asking about if they have any plans for a Digital Electro 35' they replied:

"Thank you for your interest in YASHICA's upcoming product.
There will be an official announcement soon, but before that, I am afraid I cant tell you much.
Please subscribe for our website and stay tunned!

Cheers,
YASHICA"
10 characters

I hope they can bring something solid, something non-pretentious to us.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Be ready for a compact digital EVF Yashica Electro that is full frame and sporting an M lens mount this coming October.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Be ready for a compact digital EVF Yashica Electro that is full frame and sporting an M lens mount this coming October.
I have a feeling that unless you are waiting for a clip on smartphone attachment you will be disappointed. I believe the gimmick will be an external optical VF so you can pretend you're shooting an RF.

Don't forget Yashica is not the Yashica of old. The trademark is owned by the Jebsen Group, a marketing and distribution company from HK. I can't think of a reason for the kickstarter campaign except as a marketing ploy.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Contarama

I bet if the new Yashica was a film camera more of you would buy it than a digital Yashica. Fuji and all the rest have already done this...I dont get it other than someone thinks there is money in the brand. Who knows maybe a niche deal could work for them. Idk though my gut tells me otherwise.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Scapevision
90% Film

I bet it's going to be instant

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Strangefinder

Fullframe with 40mm 1.7 ---> i would kill my wallet.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Judging by the model in the clip it will be very slim! lol

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
papaki

Imagine, a digital Yashica with the dreaded pad of death!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Judging by the model in the clip it will be very slim! lol
Konost guts in a more compact body.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaki View Post
Imagine, a digital Yashica with the dreaded pad of death!
Maybe they do keep the wind lever just like EPSON RD1

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I have a feeling that unless you are waiting for a clip on smartphone attachment you will be disappointed. I believe the gimmick will be an external optical VF so you can pretend you're shooting an RF.

Don't forget Yashica is not the Yashica of old. The trademark is owned by the Jebsen Group, a marketing and distribution company from HK. I can't think of a reason for the kickstarter campaign except as a marketing ploy.
That bulky black clip on smart phone attachment thing is to throw the scent off.

The chrome and black chunkmiester in the model's hands is not the film Yashica Electro of yore but some new digital concoction with similar retro lines.

Check out the video carefully, around .07 sequence point in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i6g55QaN54

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Some cold reality check. If you google it, Yashica name comes as owned by the nobody. So as the nobody they benefit (well, trying) from Yashica name. For now here is Yashica named two mobile phone lens kit and one Go Pro Hero copy like camera.

The world has changed. It is all about firmware and electronics. And labels. Selling labels. But not about paying people for hand and hand work. If you think what same bunch of "lets buy it because it is cheap" of old trade name is into film camera... shake your head. It might be empty...
Sorry. It is IMO.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Some cold reality check. If you google it, Yashica name comes as owned by the nobody. So as the nobody they benefit (well, trying) from Yashica name. For now here is Yashica named two mobile phone lens kit and one Go Pro Hero copy like camera.

The world has changed. It is all about firmware and electronics. And labels. Selling labels. But not about paying people for hand and hand work. If you think what same bunch of "lets buy it because it is cheap" of old trade name is into film camera... shake your head. It might be empty...
Sorry. It is IMO.

I think you're right ... these types of rumours always create a bout of frantic straw clutching. The last thing the world needs is another compact digital camera.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
xayraa33

Quote:

Sorry. It is IMO.
Ha ha, my head is far from empty Ko Fe,

Who knows who owns what, the Yashica name has history and cachet, not in the pro level but still it is revered name for photo amateurs of the past and dilettantes of retro photo gear even now for film users.
Who knows what corner we are turning in cheap but wonderful electronic technology?
Maybe that is why Leica all of a sudden might be interested in Zenit, as a 2nd tier RF (EVF more like it) digital camera with an M mount and maybe this new Yashica thing has beat them to the punch in such a concept.

Something is happening, we will wait and then we will see, it is all good.

BTW, I am a film guy, my only digital camera is a 10 year old model bought for family convenience, a new digital Yashica or digital Zenit or Zorki or digital Nikon SP would make little difference to me, as much the real in the store Sony A7 models do or the Fuji ones everyone raves about.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
Wow this is exciting https://photorumors.com/2017/09/22/y...er-next-month/ Anyone heard about this?
Yes, there is a thread in the Yashica RF section, "Sigh...I wish they'd make a digital GSN"

What I've seen of the latest on Yashica.com looks like a GL, only smaller, and possibly has AF. Another view makes it look like a zoom might be involved, but it's such a short clip that its hard to tell for sure.

I could go for a digital GL in APS-C, but it could be m4/3. Still okay with that too.

PF

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think you're right ... these types of rumours always create a bout of frantic straw clutching. The last thing the world needs is another compact digital camera.
Well, literally, I need a digital Ricoh GR that does not suck dust to the sensor. I'm sure a lot other people want it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Yes, there is a thread in the Yashica RF section, "Sigh...I wish they'd make a digital GSN"

What I've seen of the latest on Yashica.com looks like a GL, only smaller, and possibly has AF. Another view makes it look like a zoom might be involved, but it's such a short clip that its hard to tell for sure.

I could go for a digital GL in APS-C, but it could be m4/3. Still okay with that too.

PF
I just want an Electro 35(GX, CC or MC sized), with a digital sensor on the place where film was put. I don't even want a screen.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18
xayraa33

Yashica says that the new Yashica camera will be launched on October 10th in London England .

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/yash...e-kickstarter/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Kickstarter will be launched, not camera.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20
xayraa33

Quote:
Kickstarter will be launched, not camera.
They promised us a camera in October, so nothing is to be seen then just a plea for money.

Maybe it will be a film camera then.
But that would not be a good idea, as there are plenty of used film Yashica cameras going cheap on the market.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21
Arbitrarium

I'm guessing it'll be a cheap digital styled to look a bit like an old Yashica, with the Yashica name on. Highly doubt anything about it will feel like a Yashica. If the name's been bought by a company that needs to rely on Kickstarter, then the name's worthless.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrarium View Post
If the name's been bought by a company that needs to rely on Kickstarter, then the name's worthless.
A Kickstarter project will usually be marketed to enthusiasts over technical features - which could not be all that bad. Mind, it can hardly be high tech (Kickstarter does not provide the up-front investments needed for anything that requires serious R&D at camera complexity levels), but something built by a Chinese OEM out of readily available parts. Still, it could be a lot worse - there are far more Hong Kong companies that simply re-badge cheap Chinese equipment than ones that do the degree of individual design associated with Kickstarter.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrarium View Post
I'm guessing it'll be a cheap digital styled to look a bit like an old Yashica, with the Yashica name on. Highly doubt anything about it will feel like a Yashica. If the name's been bought by a company that needs to rely on Kickstarter, then the name's worthless.
Yashica had always been changing, from TLR to 35RF to P&S. Even the Contax G had Yashica behind it. I can't name a single product that represents the FEEL of Yashica. The company has purchased other companies, and had been purchased by other companies, but they had been making solid cameras, at least film cameras.

Some of the best products are brought into existence by the help of Kickstarter/crowdfunding, especially niche and nerdy stuff. I personally think it is the best way to bring a non-mainstream product to people who are interested in it. I've backed various projects and 9.9/10 did not let me down. I will just hope it's not the 1% this time.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24
BillBingham2

Kickstarter is a great approach for a company that wants to sell direct (higher profit margin) to a niche aspect of an established market. Smaller companies exist only on Kickstarter for new products. I think it's a GREAT idea to insure you can afford final engineering, production, and a bit of coin for your pocket.

Not sure who owns the Yashica name these days but that doesn't mean it would be a great camera, nor that it will be.

B2 (;->

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
...Some of the best products are brought into existence by the help of Kickstarter/crowdfunding. I've backed various projects and 9.9/10 did not let me down. I will just hope it's not the 0.1% this time.
We just got a car top tent via Kickstarter from a company that has used Kickstarter for other products. Even with the usual issues of starting up 10X production than expected it's going well. The product is EXCELLENT and frankly Kickstarter is allowing the maker movement to take the next step.

B2 (;->

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26
f16sunshine

Expectation is the Mother of Disappointment.
That said, I think the kickstarter is a good sign.
It may show there is some actual development to be done which could indicate an actual new product rather than a re-badged "gadget".

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27
JeffS7444

Digital Yashica was released a number of years ago:
https://www.cnet.com/news/yashica-ez...but-its-close/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28
BlackXList

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
Digital Yashica was released a number of years ago:
https://www.cnet.com/news/yashica-ez...but-its-close/
Always wanted to try one of those.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
Always wanted to try one of those.
Same here.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/
Some of the sample images are extremely film like!

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
BlackXList

I just ordered one off Ebay.

The "Yashica" ones seem to have gone, but there are a few identical versions.

a TAKASHI FX521 is on its way to me from somewhere undisclosed, I'll be interested to have a play with it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^ Well let's hope it's a little quicker than the film Ferrania 120 format film that I sent $ to a fair number of years ago now . But I'm patient , otherwise why would I be using film ?
Peter

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
maigo

This is maybe mentioned already.
No one old or film photography buff (or is same person?) knows what is a “Yashica”. So name is mostly meaningless to 99.999% of people.
So, why market under this name?
Faux film cachè?
Attract Japanese market?
Hipster film appeal? (If there is any left)
Who buys no-name digital camera? No one. Maybe grandma and she doesn’t shop on Kickstarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
Paul T.

there is a pretty big market in Japan for retro cameras.

Fuji invested a lot of R&D in the X100.It's always possible that a cheaper ripoff, using existing mainstream sensors, without the optical viewfinder, made in China will find a fanbase on looks alone. It was William Morris who suggested, it's always possible to make a poorer, cheaper product - and find a market for it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
This is maybe mentioned already.
No one old or film photography buff (or is same person?) knows what is a “Yashica”. So name is mostly meaningless to 99.999% of people.
So, why market under this name?
Faux film cachè?
Attract Japanese market?
Hipster film appeal? (If there is any left)
Who buys no-name digital camera? No one. Maybe grandma and she doesn’t shop on Kickstarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, most 'recent' Contax users are aware Yashica was behind that brand and its quality. There is an undisputed cult following, including here on RFF, for Yashica fixed lens RF.

I myself own several older and newer Yashica SLR cameras. They aren't my first grab, but they have their place.

Old 1 Week Ago   #35
Paul T.

The Kickstarters is up now.

"Digifilm". Hmmm.

Certainly not an X100-alike!

Old 1 Week Ago   #36
Paul T.

ooh, sorry. Kickstarter link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...era-by-yashica

I can't quite grasp the concept, but in essence it seems a different take on the Fuji Instax/Holga approach, a cheap'n'cheerful toy that looks like a traditional camera.

Old 1 Week Ago   #37
dwojr

1/3.2 inch sensor 1.4 megapickels with digifilm. Arg. I don’t think I’ll be getting one

Old 1 Week Ago   #38
xayraa33

Cool concept, but why not use a reconditioned Vintage Yashica Electro camera and real film and experience genuine and honest old timey inconvenience .

Old 1 Week Ago   #39
Paul T.

there is an SD card slot; so presumably the 'digifilm is just a kind of filter to give a different look?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TzwenXbTIm8

Old 1 Week Ago   #40
mabelsound

1.4 megapixels! Is it, like, Snapchat Spectacles in camera form?

I actually like the concept a lot—it’s kind of the Fisher-Priceization of film photography. But even the kids would like higher resolution photos, right?