Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Old 1 Week Ago   #41
jsrockit

Toy camera... as expected.

Old 1 Week Ago   #42
michaelwj
----------------

Again, why kickstarter? Yashica is owned by a huge company who obviously don't have any faith in their ideas. I suppose if they invest nothing themselves then it doesn't hurt to bin the concept next year.

Why would anyone want all the downsides of film (fixed ISO, colour or B&W but not both) with none of the benefits like a film image? It's like coupling the worst of both worlds.

Old 1 Week Ago   #43
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

My impression is what Yashica name was dropped as non existing company while ago, was lost in translation and picked up by no name company which isn't big at all.

It is new era hipsters project. Old hipsters used real film cameras, new era hipsters are not. So, this 1.4 MP mobile phone sensor film fake is cool for virtual dumpster like Instagram, where it is watched from tiny screens of mobile phones. And film is faked by digiFilm, plus customers are on the hook. Good marketing idea. Instead of in-camera preset, new era hipsters pays for each of them. Single roll of old hipsters film line cinefilm is sold for 10+, just because old hipsters aren't capable of bulk film handling. New era hipsters are not film capable at all, so they will pay 50$ for digiFilm.
Very marked oriented project. Lomo dropped the ball on this, they need camera like this to stay connected with younger generations.

PSLOL. They corrected 1.4 MP to 14 MP.

Old 1 Week Ago   #44
Paul T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Again, why kickstarter? Yashica is owned by a huge company who obviously don't have any faith in their ideas. I suppose if they invest nothing themselves then it doesn't hurt to bin the concept next year.

Why would anyone want all the downsides of film (fixed ISO, colour or B&W but not both) with none of the benefits like a film image? It's like coupling the worst of both worlds.
It's not really Yashica, just a company that bought the name.

Ive seen quite a few posts from people wh think this is really digifilm. If only. As far as I can see it is a fun little extra box you slot in to your camera, which selects a preset filter and that's it.

Perhaps it's a nice toy for $100 or so. But I don't think it will challenge the fun Fuji Instax cameras.

Old 1 Week Ago   #45
Spicy

why do all their videos feel like i'm watching commercials for cologne?

bummer, pretty disappointing and uninteresting... not even sure what they're trying to do with it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #46
Corran

I am confused about what the "cartridge" does.

I think this will be popular in some circles. It's not a replacement for a normal camera. Price is good for the market I think.

Old 1 Week Ago   #47
BillBingham2

As my youngest would say............

meh

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #48
Arbitrarium

Baffling...

Old 1 Week Ago   #49
jcb4718

1.4 megapixels or 14 megapixels? All the reports on the internet say 14 megapixels but they may just be resending an error.

Old 1 Week Ago   #50
Huss

Sooooo... not a digital 124 TLR?

Bummer.

Old 1 Week Ago   #51
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T. View Post
ooh, sorry. Kickstarter link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...era-by-yashica

I can't quite grasp the concept, but in essence it seems a different take on the Fuji Instax/Holga approach, a cheap'n'cheerful toy that looks like a traditional camera.
I really like the concept of shooting digital and not having the instant gratification. I wonder what the build quality will be like? Toy camera or semi-solid at least?

it is a cool concept, without blowing $6K on a digital Leica without a preview screen on back.

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 1 Week Ago   #52
dwojr

Fully funded

Old 1 Week Ago   #53
MikeL
Go Fish

A solution in search of a problem.

Kickstarter indeed.

Old 1 Week Ago   #54
bayernfan

the digital space needs fun and quirky. i think this is great idea, we'll see how well it's executed.

it ticks a lot of boxes for me:
- optical viewfinder / rangefinder
- wind on lever (even it is fake)
- super compact
- small sensor = some serious DOF
- shutter-speed priority

Old 1 Week Ago   #55
BillBingham2

Retro-Looking PHD (Press-Here-Dummy) with little control.

Boxes around the viewfinder (note no rangefinder mentioned).

Get rich quick marketing scheme by some folks who bought the rights to the Yashica name.

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #56
mabelsound

I don’t doubt that this will be somewhat profitable, but “get rich quick” hardly seems like the motivation here. They clearly put enormous amounts of R&D into this product, and it fills a particular niche. It’s cute and charming and weird—something fun for the Lomography set. Designing an eccentric toy camera from scratch and putting it on kickstarter is hardly the recipe for instant wealth—it reads to me like a labor of love for somebody. The fact that it isn’t for us doesn’t mean we ought to crap on it.

14MP is far more reasonable, if that’s correct!

Old 1 Week Ago   #57
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I don’t doubt that this will be somewhat profitable, but “get rich quick” hardly seems like the motivation here. They clearly put enormous amounts of R&D into this product, and it fills a particular niche. It’s cute and charming and weird—something fun for the Lomography set. Designing an eccentric toy camera from scratch and putting it on kickstarter is hardly the recipe for instant wealth—it reads to me like a labor of love for somebody. The fact that it isn’t for us doesn’t mean we ought to crap on it.

It's 14 MP. They corrected the typo. Still it's a tiny cell phone sized sensor. Disappointing. At least make it m43 size

Old 1 Week Ago   #58
JoeLopez

Quote:

Agreed ^^^

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 1 Week Ago   #59
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
It's 14 MP. They corrected the typo. Still it's a tiny cell phone sized sensor. Disappointing. At least make it m43 size
Agreed. If it were an m43 sensor, it might actually interest me! But it would probably be much more costly as well…

...that said, the target audience probably doesn’t care about the technical specs?

Old 1 Week Ago   #60
jsrockit

At 14mp and just over $100... I don't see the harm anymore. At 1.4mp, I was wondering who want it.

Of course we all want that elusive digital rangefinder not made by Leica, but it just isn't realistic to expect it to be made. I expected a toy camera, and that is what it is.

Old 1 Week Ago   #61
mabelsound

I.........sort of almost want one

Old 1 Week Ago   #62
BillBingham2

Quote:
......The fact that it isn’t for us doesn’t mean we ought to crap on it.

They are great marketers.

Presenting limited information about a product and invoking a look, feel, control of a camera decades old. While even product will have it's share of folks disappointed, my read of the questions asked mistakenly in the comments section of Kickstarter rather than FAQ.

Perhaps their marketing struck a cord with me that it didn't others.

They have doubled their goal in less than one day. While I expect it would do this every day, my read is that they will be selling a lot more before 39 days ends.

I'm not looking to spread manure, just share some observations and thoughts.

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #63
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
At 14mp and just over $100... I don't see the harm anymore. At 1.4mp, I was wondering who want it.

Of course we all want that elusive digital rangefinder not made by Leica, but it just isn't realistic to expect it to be made. I expected a toy camera, and that is what it is.
I was hoping for a lower-tech camera that would give us a low cost Fuji X100 with a pure optical RF and manual controls.

You're right, priced reasonably for what it is. It will appeal to lots of 20-somethings.

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
I was hoping for a lower-tech camera that would give us a low cost Fuji X100 with a pure optical RF and manual controls.
I know... many of us are... but are you willing to pay for it? Optical VF/RF and manual controls... would surely cost more than a X100F no?

Old 1 Week Ago   #65
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post

You're right, priced reasonably for what it is. It will appeal to lots of 20-somethings.

B2 (;->
Used X100 cameras are now about $300, how much more low cost do you want?

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 1 Week Ago   #66
f16sunshine

Some peeps will have fun with this.
Expect it to be a "one hit wonder".
After spending any amount of time with this camera, peeps are going to wish for the convenience of their phone.
With the tiny sensor and slower than iPhone aperture.... what is the draw from a photograph standpoint ?
It really is a gimmick gadget and not much more.

One thing seems sure..... The Yashica name has some drawing power still.
If these cats wanted to produce a real camera, the brand seems strong.

Old 1 Week Ago   #67
krötenblender

It's 14 (fourteen) megapixels. Still, its a bad idea.

Old 1 Week Ago   #68
Archlich

Doesn't it provide a few "benefits" film brings some of us would say when asked. Like "you really have to think with a film camera, because every shot count", or "I like the crank lever as it provides a tactile feedback" etc.

Does help to break part of the myth. And you really have to think with this, a digital camera.

Take it as a fun camera. A toy...a pretty neat one I'd say. Hate the poserish video though, but that's what it's about.

Photography is not all about the end result. It's a performance. (Or so they say.) Now the marketing machine has finally realized that and begin to tell you, that you don't need a Ricoh GR to be actually in line with the PROVOKE guys like Moriyama - who is known to use a crappy Nikon Coolpix, also with a tiny sensor.

Old 1 Week Ago   #69
f16sunshine

^^^
Maybe it shows that film is still the "ideal" medium.
Even the young folks who won't use film will be happy to fake it
The compliments of imposters etc....

I will probably buy one next year to give as a gift to my niece. (yes spoiled)
She'll love this thing. Loves the idea of film camera but lack the patience for daily film use.
Although I do see the twin lens cameras in her hands often.

Old 1 Week Ago   #70
Corran

A few thoughts...

AA batteries: Awesome! Don't have to have another charger, another proprietary battery, just pop in some of my rechargeables and go.

No screen: I think it's absolutely ridiculous on a Leica that costs more than my car. On this it makes total sense. No chimping, just shoot and don't worry about it.

digiFilm "cartridges:" Okay this is kind of dumb...but at the same time, it's basically preset menu settings that don't have to be fiddled with all the time. The wind-on thing is gimmicky but whatever. For the future, I would like to see a cartridge that can be connected via USB and a custom setup be installed so you could do different things depending on your preference. Also, with no cartridge it'd be nice if it reverted to auto-ISO, color, no cropping.

Sensor size: yeah it's small, wish it was bigger. It'd be more expensive then, and I think that the price is part of the gestalt of this product. 14mp is more than enough.

Size: About the same as a smartphone I think. Good for pocketability.

Okay so I pledged for the "24h sale" at $150 for the whole package. I shoot lots and lots of film. I will occasionally use my cell phone for documenting things or just grabbing photos but I hate using it, I hate transferring images, and I hate how I have to dig through menus to change stuff to taste. I think this thing will be good for quick snapshots and documenting stuff.

The good thing for me is I can probably unload it after the campaign on eBay for more than I even paid for it if I don't like it. It's basically a free trial. I bought the Lomo Petzval lenses (both of them) and didn't get along with either. Put them up on eBay and they went for more than I paid for them as an earlybird Kickstarter. No harm in trying it out.

Old 1 Week Ago   #71
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
Used X100 cameras are now about $300, how much more low cost do you want?
I don't want all the bells and whistles that can break. No fancy finder, just a basic VF/RF patch. I don't want all the buttons that can break, just a few to adjust the ISO and perhaps control playback/delete (though not required, a single to flip through ISO values would be fine.

Give me control over a leaf shutter (speed, manual cocking lever), aperture adjustment, focus, and three LED exposure meter (that you can turn off) for when I want it. APS-C sensor and fixed f1.8 lens with an effective focal length of 35mm please and thank you.

$350-400 is fine for a plastic camera with the reliability of a Bessa R2.

My issue with buying a used X100 is I worry about how soon will it break or go just enough out of spec?

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #72
jsrockit

That seems like a lot for $350-400 BB2... but I'll take two.

Old 1 Week Ago   #73
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
...One thing seems sure..... The Yashica name has some drawing power still.
If these cats wanted to produce a real camera, the brand seems strong.
+1

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #74
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The Kickstarter support so far indicates that many think this is a very good idea.
IMO the designers are on the right track.

Perhaps some innovative manufacturer will notice and improve upon this idea.
Kobayashi-san, are you listening?

Chris

Old 1 Week Ago   #75
Spanik

Don't get it. Is this a fixed 2.8 aperture? Only 5 speeds? I could get the idea of digifilm if that were also your memory carriers (they could put a µsd in it). But a proposed now, I don't get it. Probably getting too old. Oh well, got a Minister D, TL electro X and an EM if I want to use a Yashica.

I expected it would be those chinese that brought out a Kodak (was it, don't remember 100%) m34 out some time ago.

Old 1 Week Ago   #76
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
Don't get it. Is this a fixed 2.8 aperture? Only 5 speeds? I could get the idea of digifilm if that were also your memory carriers (they could put a µsd in it). But a proposed now, I don't get it. Probably getting too old. Oh well, got a Minister D, TL electro X and an EM if I want to use a Yashica.

I expected it would be those chinese that brought out a Kodak (was it, don't remember 100%) m34 out some time ago.
A small sensor doesn't need a narrow aperture. Digifilm takes the place of a menu, since it has no screen for menu. It's a toy...you took it too seriously.

Old 1 Week Ago   #77
bayernfan

people, it's $120. it's not going to break your bank. it's a toy. it's not supposed to stack up against an X100(). the negativity here is just crazy.

Old 1 Week Ago   #78
DougFord
on the good foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post

Reminds me of the Amphicar Model 770, "It's not a good boat and it's not a good car, but it is both."

In a world of Konosts, I'll respect them for just bringing their product to market.
I'm not a customer but I do hope that they meet their customers expectations with regards to build quality and operational performance.

the walk

Old 1 Week Ago   #79
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFord View Post
In a world of Konosts, I'll respect them for just bringing their product to market.
Well, in all fairness, they haven't yet either...

Old 1 Week Ago   #80
Georgiy Romanov
stray cat

Me want one!!! Yashica Awesome move. Yashica Y35: Leica without screen for homeless or modern scale focus simple and fun to use digital camera.