Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Old 1 Week Ago   #81
jsrockit

Almost tripled their goal... yikes.

Old 1 Week Ago   #82
seagrove

To be honest, I am very disappointed and have absolutely no use for something like this. I rather drop some Tri-X into my Electro35 GS and get my film thrills. I was hoping for something a little more innovative. Didn't somebody try the "digifilm" concept before? Not something worth my time OR investment even on small scale!
Yashica Electro35 GS, Fujifilm X100S, TCL-X100, WCL-X100, sold everything else!

Old 1 Week Ago   #83
Prest_400
Multiformat

Very quick uninformed post before bed...
Curious. For a moment I thought It would be a Digital-Film convertible camera... if the innards could just be replaced like film backs

The canister presets are quite an amusing idea... lose the B&W canister and no more Tri-X for the rest of a trip 😂

The other day I saw a young asian girl with a Yashica... didn't talk and I wonder how deep the concept of vintage and/or film medium is the driver of using the cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 1 Week Ago   #84
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Judging by responses here clearly this strikes a sore point in the detractors.

To me it clearly points out failings of the digital model as currently expressed,
and a yearning by many photographers to get back to the simpler film model.

Chris

Old 1 Week Ago   #85
ptpdprinter

Why would you want to use this instead of your phone? This camera really isn't about photography though, is it? It is about something entirely different. I am interested in learning who the intended market is. Who are the people who have pledged so far? What is their thought process in purchasing this camera?

Old 1 Week Ago   #86
JeffS7444

I'll be interested in user reviews, but in the meantime, I'll stick with my Digital Harinezumi.

Old 1 Week Ago   #87
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Almost tripled their goal... yikes.
I'm going to say

> They will end up around 12X fully funded.

> They will end up with some really pissed customers. As this is all Internet based it will be a one and done sort of thing.

> Someone with larger "Parts" than me will see the opportunity and do it two years from now.

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #88
Huss

People who buy this because it is cool/neat/hip will quickly realize their iphone takes much better pictures, and is always with them, so the camera will shortly be tossed into a drawer.

"Yashica finally made a FF digital camera...

A fake film camera.

Old 1 Week Ago   #89
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
People who buy this because it is cool/neat/hip will quickly realize their iphone takes much better pictures, and is always with them, so the camera will shortly be tossed into a drawer.

"Yashica finally made a FF digital camera...

A fake film camera.
Don't be so quick to write this thing off.

It is not for everybody, but the speed they got up to their projected kick-start amount tells me that there is a market for this idea

I think if it had the Leica label and the famous red dot on it and sold for a 170 bucks then it would be the cat's meow with a lot of photographers, even as a curio.

If this thing takes off, which it might, we may see a more complex camera model in this faux 35mm style and maybe even a digital TLR

Old 1 Week Ago   #90
Huss

Take the worst features of film. Add the worst features of digital.
And you have this Yashica.

Awesome.

So what if it is has a market? So does crap beer.

Old 1 Week Ago   #91
Huss

p.s. if it actually had good construction and a nice feel in hand, I'm in.

I'm easy like that.

Old 1 Week Ago   #92
Huss

p.p.s it has a CMOS sensor, just like the Hasselblad X1-D, Nikon D850 and Leica M10...

Old 1 Week Ago   #93
Huss

p.p.s.s. how come the girl in the video looks like she lost her goldfish earlier in the morning? So sad. Someone please buy this camera to cheer her up.

Old 1 Week Ago   #94
xayraa33

Quote:
Take the worst features of film. Add the worst features of digital.
And you have this Yashica.

Awesome.

So what if it is has a market? So does crap beer.
If one likes crap beer and it is readily available then it is a good thing for all concerned. Good for Crap beer drinkers, Crap beer makers and even good beer drinkers benefit, as it leaves more of the good beer in the store cooler for the good beer aficionados to buy.

Old 1 Week Ago   #95
AAlfano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Judging by responses here clearly this strikes a sore point in the detractors.

To me it clearly points out failings of the digital model as currently expressed,
and a yearning by many photographers to get back to the simpler film model.

Chris
I think Chris nailed it. It may not be a substitute for a Leica (film or digital) but I think it is tapping into the same desire as the M-D: a digital camera that is as simple to operate as a film camera. A camera without 1,400 different settings you have to think about to take a picture.

Old 1 Week Ago   #96
Paul T.

It's different. THat's why it's popular so far.

The X100 sold some on looks. People come up and ask about it.

and it's cheap, eg:

https://gizmodo.com/5800690/it-may-b...f-the-original

Old 1 Week Ago   #97
gavinlg

Couldn't they have just retooled and remade the electro GSN/GTN? Or made a film scanner?

The fact that it uses a flea sized sensor just makes this thing dead in the water TBH.

Old 1 Week Ago   #98
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Don't be so quick to write this thing off.

It is not for everybody, but the speed they got up to their projected kick-start amount tells me that there is a market for this idea

I think if it had the Leica label and the famous red dot on it and sold for a 170 bucks then it would be the cat's meow with a lot of photographers, even as a curio.

If this thing takes off, which it might, we may see a more complex camera model in this faux 35mm style and maybe even a digital TLR
It's easy for some to hate online

I can see a few potential positives from this camera honestly. Time will tell.

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 1 Week Ago   #99
Archlich

Again, wielding a camera (let's not elevate that to "photography") is not just about the end result. Or to be more specific, "pictorial quality". Otherwise we'd all be shooting 8x10. Since many of us feel comfortable with "the small format", I'd say there's also nothing wrong with the flea sized sensor in this Yashica. Nothing wrong in forget all the sensor size thing and have some quirky fun, which is exactly many of us would talk about film cameras. "Oh, I like it because it's not instant, not simple. It lets time to dilute the spirit and have it settle down."

It as a toy camera offers a way to play, for a toy's price. If it's expensive I'd whine too but man, it's $124. Who'd market a serious new digital camera at $124? Meanwhile people would pay twice or thrice of that for their leather cases and straps - which contribute none to pictorial quality as well. The other digital camera without a screen cost 60 times more. Think about it.

I know with this camera, people had been dreaming the same "Full Frame M-mount Digital Rangefinder Or Even Better That Cost Less Than $2,000" dream that they'd apply to every non-CaNiSokon announcement again. Then it's the reality, then come the same reaction. All the usual staff going on.

Old 1 Week Ago   #100
daveisbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Couldn't they have just retooled and remade the electro GSN/GTN? Or made a film scanner?

The fact that it uses a flea sized sensor just makes this thing dead in the water TBH.
It's not actually Yashica that's making this, it's some other company just using the Yashica name to give them some credence in the photographic world.

Even if it was Yashica and they somehow remade their old cameras, would you be willing to pay $1000+ for one?

Old 1 Week Ago   #101
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

One more time, here is no Yashica anymore and for some time already.

It is hard to believe for some what mobile phone sensor based camera with fixed focus lens is now Yashica. Well, here is nothing new here. Just another Minox...

Quote:
p.p.s.s. how come the girl in the video looks like she lost her goldfish earlier in the morning? So sad. Someone please buy this camera to cheer her up.
The picture is very philosophical. With half of the glass classic.
Or may be she just can't finish it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #102
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Well, those arty youth in Asia (sigh) are highly fond of such style.
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B0...B8%85%E6%96%B0
There is no English page for this term, yet.

"5 selectable steps shutter speeds 1s, 1/30s, 1/60s, 1/250s, 1/500s"
This is really against Electro 35. It should have an aperture ring instead of shutter speed control.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 1 Week Ago   #103
Axel100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
One more time, here is no Yashica anymore and for some time already.

It is hard to believe for some what mobile phone sensor based camera with fixed focus lens is now Yashica. Well, here is nothing new here. Just another Minox...
What will not people discourage from buying it

Old 1 Week Ago   #104
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
This is really against Electro 35. It should have an aperture ring instead of shutter speed control.
No, they did it right. With the sensor size as it is, there will be plenty DOF wide open, and stopping down in any appreciable amount will instantly be into diffraction territory. Look at cell phone photos - they mostly manipulate ISO and shutter speed for exposure and stay near optimal aperture for best performance.

Old 1 Week Ago   #105
Spanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
No, they did it right. With the sensor size as it is, there will be plenty DOF wide open, and stopping down in any appreciable amount will instantly be into diffraction territory. Look at cell phone photos - they mostly manipulate ISO and shutter speed for exposure and stay near optimal aperture for best performance.
Sure, but then why stating it has 5 shutter speeds and that you need to change iso by changing the digifilm? Something doesn't make sense exposurewise.

I do agree that there might be a possible market for a very simple digital camera that is neither a toy nor a very expensive luxury. Unfortunately this isn't it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #106
Corran

Frankly I think the ISO part of their pitch is completely misleading and not factual.

There is no way their product has a "base" ISO of 200, with the other cartridges pushing that up to 400 or 1600. From what I have seen of daylight images from cell phones, ISO is usually in the range of 25 or 32. That's where the s/n ratio is best, and then of course the lens is shooting at those wider apertures for best performance before diffraction and the shutter speed is fast (electronic shutter of course). My assumption is that the ISO numbers are simply roundabout ways of saying "low ISO, cleaner images" and "higher ISO, grainier images," or perhaps even just "fake grain added to the image to make it look like Tri-X pushed to 1600" or something to that effect.

None of the images provided are actually from the camera (clearly, as seen by the DOF), so it's impossible to say what the actual exposure data is, so I could be totally wrong. And I don't have an iPhone to actually look at files to check what the typical exposure is outside, inside, etc. This is just what I am assuming based on what I've seen. The shutter speeds are possibly some sort of "forced" shutter speed priority mode, which would actually be pretty cool. I wish I could force my phone to do a 1 second exposure in low light braced against something, rather than trying to shoot a normal shutter speed with high ISO and therefore bad noise.

I hope they will give more details but we'll see. I'm still in for it at the low price of the 24h Kickstarter sale. At worst my wife will probably have fun with it when we go out and I'm shooting 4x5 film.

Old 1 Week Ago   #107
ptpdprinter

Quote:
I hope they will give more details but we'll see. I'm still in for it at the low price of the 24h Kickstarter sale. At worst my wife will probably have fun with it when we go out and I'm shooting 4x5 film.
Why would your wife shoot with the Yashica instead of her phone?

I admit I don't "get" a lot of things, but this one is a real headscratcher for me. I wish someone could describe the intended demographic. I would have thought it would have been marketed by Fisher Price at Toys'R'Us for $14.99.

Old 1 Week Ago   #108
Corran

Neither of us have the latest and greatest in phones. Her phone is several years old and complete garbage. I would bet this makes better images. I am sure I/we are in the minority - I can not stand Apple's products, especially the iPhone, which may have a better camera.

But it's also a much different experience. Having a viewfinder of some type is great as I can not stand holding my phone and taking a photo. I also am frequently shooting knee-deep in water or on a cliff, etc., so holding out my phone and stabbing at it with a finger is a recipe for disaster...

Also my wife oftentimes leaves her phone at home or the battery runs out, when we go take an evening walk.

Again, we might be an anachronism with regard to this vs. phone.

Nothing wrong with not "getting" it but I think the backlash here is a little silly...obviously I'm not selling my M9 after getting this (when it comes back from repair!). I don't "get" people shooting subminiature cameras seriously. I don't "get" people shooting landscapes seriously with 35mm as opposed to MF/LF, as a comparison to "big sensor vs. tiny sensor." But it's all good. One can interact with photography in many ways. One can even be a very serious photographer/pro, and then just shoot casually like a hobbyist the next day, IMO.

Old 1 Week Ago   #109
seagrove

Quote:
They could put red dots all over it and it would not promote any interest from me. But I am still considering going back to film in my retirement and picking up an M3 and 50mm Summicron!
Yashica Electro35 GS, Fujifilm X100S, TCL-X100, WCL-X100, sold everything else!

Old 1 Week Ago   #110
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrove View Post
They could put red dots all over it and it would not promote any interest from me. But I am still considering going back to film in my retirement and picking up an M3 and 50mm Summicron!
Maybe not from you or me either, but that red dot will be hard to resist for many.

I too am happy with my M3 and M2 and the Barnacks and their Japaneses clones and even with my RF Kiev 35mm cameras.

But I give this new Yashica consortium A+ for trying something different than the usual point and shoot or digital SLR camera.

Old 1 Week Ago   #111
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Maybe not from you or me either, but that red dot will be hard to resist for many.
It worked with the Sofort.

Old 1 Week Ago   #112
ptpdprinter

Quote:
But it's also a much different experience. Having a viewfinder of some type is great as I can not stand holding my phone and taking a photo. I also am frequently shooting knee-deep in water or on a cliff, etc., so holding out my phone and stabbing at it with a finger is a recipe for disaster...
So this is the digital camera you would take with you when you were knee deep in water or on a cliff?

Old 1 Week Ago   #113
Corran

Mostly shoot MF and 4x5 film. Tripod. I'm not sure what you don't get - stabbing at a phone to take a photo (I sometimes do this for reference photos or Instagram stuff) means you have a one-handed grip on a thin, light phone while exerting a force onto it perpendicular to your grip. Obviously this is a bit different than a two-handed grip on a camera held close to your body. Simple physics. And by the number of people with shattered screens can attest...this is a potential problem!

Old 1 Week Ago   #114
Huss

Quote:

But it's also a much different experience. Having a viewfinder of some type is great as I can not stand holding my phone and taking a photo.
I hate cameras with no VFs. I hate ones that just have a screen - whether using a phone or whatever Fuji etc that doesn't have a VF.
So I'd prefer using this than that.

Of course, I prefer using the cameras I already have - with vfs and real cartridges that have different ISO and film settings. Otherwise known as film.

Old 1 Week Ago   #115
santino
eXpect me

Wow... digifilm replaces the obsolete ISO dial and image presets...
It's almost as useful as Ned Flanders Leftorium - the coffee mug for left handed People etc.

Old 1 Week Ago   #116
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
So this is the digital camera you would take with you when you were knee deep in water or on a cliff?
Nope, it cost too much and I doubt the IQ will be sufficient (I don't do cliffs often).

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #117
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
Wow... digifilm replaces the obsolete ISO dial and image presets...
It's almost as useful as Ned Flanders Leftorium - the coffee mug for left handed People etc.
I have two......

Left hands that is...... and I'm right handed.......
or at least it feels that way some days

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #118
jsrockit

So, people are hurt that this version of Yashica didn't make the digital rangefinder that we all knew wouldn't be made?

Old 1 Week Ago   #119
rcubed
Canadian

So many detractors and yet they are at 700%+ of their goal. Lol

For $150, I dont have much to lose to try this out. (Well.. other than $150. lol)

Old 1 Week Ago   #120
ptpdprinter

The goal is entirely arbitrary. Setting it is a marketing decision.