Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Old 1 Week Ago   #121
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
So many detractors and yet they are at 700%+ of their goal. Lol

For $150, I dont have much to lose to try this out. (Well.. other than $150. lol)

Look at how mad people here get when Lomography always blows past their goals!

I'm all over the place with this thing. I'll wait to see how the actual production item pans out.

Old 1 Week Ago   #122
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Couldn't they have just retooled and remade the electro GSN/GTN? Or made a film scanner?

The fact that it uses a flea sized sensor just makes this thing dead in the water TBH.
Well, dead in the water has earned them some loot...

Old 1 Week Ago   #123
rcubed
Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
The goal is entirely arbitrary. Setting it is a marketing decision.
True, but $730K USD after 24 hours is nothing to laugh at.

Old 1 Week Ago   #124
BillBingham2

Quote:
The goal is entirely arbitrary. Setting it is a marketing decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
True, but $730K USD after 24 hours is nothing to laugh at.
I doubt that the goal is arbitrary at all. These folks are excellent at marketing and have found the perfect time to execute.

My bet is that their goal covered their costs for the product and a reasonable profit. Costs will go down as the volume of cameras go up. And the numbers sold are still are going up.

This has shown that at the right time, for the right product type, older names have some value. I would not be surprised if we see a plastic Yashica TLR come to Kickstarter some time within the next month. If they try after they ship they will miss a window. I expect they will have more of an uphill battle in selling once their product/quality/value is know.

It is the prefect price point to capture the demand from a wide range of consumers. Hand made straps, I wonder if the cows were fed GMO-free grain?

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #125
Dpingr1

I don't know if this will sell, but I would love to have been in on some of the marketing team sessions when this "digifilm" thing was introduced. It almost seems like a parody of hipsterism. Well, good luck to them!

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in." -- H. D. T.

Old 1 Week Ago   #126
YouAreHere

Maybe I missed it - when or how is the print made?

Old 1 Week Ago   #127
froyd

Well, YouAreHere, I hear Epson is coming out wit a digiLarger to go with this camera, however the plans have been leaked and it's quite easy to build a home-made version by gluing a desk lamp on top of an inkjet printer.

Jokes aside, the Y35 uses SD cards, so printing is the same as other digital cameras.

Old 1 Week Ago   #128
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

It seems that two halves do make a whole!

Old 1 Week Ago   #129
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
It's a digital camera...

Old 1 Week Ago   #130
JoeLopez

Quote:
Here you are ;-)

https://www.adorama.com/alc/0008238/...m-Digital-File

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 1 Week Ago   #131
Corran

In an update they announced a stretch goal at 9 million HKD, or 1.15m USD.

The stretch goal is increasing the aperture to f/2, a new aperture-priority mode, and a 5-step EV control.

Very interesting. I wonder if the marketing team had this ace up their sleeve already. Regardless, at almost 850k there's little doubt it blows past this goal now.

Old 1 Week Ago   #132
santino
eXpect me

"parody of hipsterism" is the best I've read so far

Old 1 Week Ago   #133
BillBingham2

Quote:
My guess is that Polaroid will build a printer using Fuji Instant Film.

Instant Gratification!

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #134
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
In an update they announced a stretch goal at 9 million HKD, or 1.15m USD.

The stretch goal is increasing the aperture to f/2, a new aperture-priority mode, and a 5-step EV control.

Very interesting. I wonder if the marketing team had this ace up their sleeve already. Regardless, at almost 850k there's little doubt it blows past this goal now.
My guess was that it was their V 2.0 camera already engineered and priced.

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #135
AlTheKiller

Looks fun! Kind of pointless but for the price, it makes for a great toy camera.

Old 1 Week Ago   #136
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

There is something contrived about this whole thing, I can't fully put my finger on it, just a gut feeling , even the camera sample they show looks like a poorly made white-metal cartoonish mock-up worthy of NASA space capsule fakery.

Maybe they will see how much money this whole kick-start escapade will draw in and if it goes real good they will announce the ultimate stretch-goal: the full frame digital Yashica with the M mount

Old 1 Week Ago   #137
AAlfano

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
There is something contrived about this whole thing, I can't fully put my finger on it, just a gut feeling , even the camera sample they show looks like a poorly made white-metal cartoonish mock-up worthy of NASA space capsule fakery.

Maybe they will see how much money this whole kick-start escapade will draw in and if it goes real good they will announce the ultimate stretch-goal: the full frame digital Yashica with the M mount
What makes it seem contrived to me is that I searched craigslist and found vintage Electro 35 GSNs going that take real 35mm film going for less than this thing.

Old 1 Week Ago   #138
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfano View Post
What makes it seem contrived to me is that I searched craigslist and found vintage Electro 35 GSNs going that take real 35mm film going for less than this thing.
Its more than that, there is something comically bizzare about this whole thing, like a spoof of a product that the 1970s SNL skit with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain would do on TV.

Old 1 Week Ago   #139
JoeLopez

Quote:
Not sure how the price of a vintage Electro is relevant to this new camera really

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 1 Week Ago   #140
YouAreHere

Millenials don't print photos, except maybe via Instax. So, all joking aside,Yashica shows prints, why buy this if the printing function is no different than any other digi-cam?

Old 1 Week Ago   #141
ptpdprinter

I am still trying to figure out the film part of Digifilm. Those plastic cartridges are for choosing camera settings. The images are stored on an SD card. So what's the film part? The fake advance lever? The more I think about this the stupider it seems. But so far 5000 people have bought some form of it. I guess there are 5000 people around the world that would buy just about anything. Maybe I should offer a 50 foot hose that is really a squirt gun so people could pretend they are watering the lawn. Cool.

Old 1 Week Ago   #142
jsrockit

Quote:
I am still trying to figure out the film part of Digifilm. Those plastic cartridges are for choosing camera settings. The images are stored on an SD card. So what's the film part? The fake advance lever? The more I think about this the stupider it seems.
You might be taking it a bit too seriously...

Old 1 Week Ago   #143
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
My guess was that it was their V 2.0 camera already engineered and priced.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Quote:
Who cares? In case you missed it, this is a different product, with callbacks to the Electro 35. I had one by the way, and after 3 rolls it stopped working. Was it worth my $50? No, not really.

Quote:
Millenials don't [...]
"Millennials" are not a monolith. I am a millennial and yet I have stacks of darkroom prints. Perhaps you should lay off the "How Millennials are killing off xyz" articles.

Quote:
The more I think about this the stupider it seems.
A suggestion then - stop thinking about it and move on. You know, I think the Leica Q was a stupid camera. A LOT of people here wanted to argue for days about why it was the perfect thing. Okay, fine, whatever. I actually forgot it was a thing later when it was mentioned some months later. I was like, what is this Leica camera I hadn't heard of?? It was so totally irrelevant to me I just forgot.

The rampant snobbery and camera elitism continues unabated. Sheesh, it's a cheap point and shoot with some quirky design features. It's perhaps one of the first/only "toy" digital cameras made. That category was/is wildly popular with film. But I'm sure the same folks turn up their noses at Dianas and Holgas. I don't use them myself but many of my friends do. Some make good work too.

We all interact with photography differently, we all pursue different genres, styles, and tools. I am interested to see a different product and not a "me-too" camera. Maybe it'll suck, maybe those who purchase it won't use it for more than a week. Doesn't do any harm. In a world where much of photojournalism is done with iPhones and passionate hobbyists shoot 8x10 cameras, it's all good.

Old 1 Week Ago   #144
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
You might be taking it a bit too seriously...
The model in the video seems very serious.

Old 1 Week Ago   #145
Taipei-metro

oh very serious very serious...in Shibuya...u know T o k y o!

original not by me,
shot from cm
by
taipei metro
G6, 14-42 パナソニック

Old 1 Week Ago   #146
farlymac
PF McFarland

They've lost my interest.

I postulated some years ago how nice it would be to have a digital camera that you could swap out modules for different film looks. My idea of powering the camera was to use the winding lever to drive a piezoelectric generator for each shot, eliminating the need for batteries. And the retro design, but with a rangefinder.

So this seemed to be close enough to my ideal to at least give it a try, and being an old Yashica fan, to at least have it in the collection.

But they have already increased the prices of everything. Introduced an all black version for more than double the chrome model. Then taken away the shutter speed control, making it aperture priority. Sounds Yashica enough at first glance, but as far as I can tell there is only one aperture to start with, so the only control you have over the camera is what cartridge you are using, and what you point it at before you press the shutter release.

I'd rather use my Minimatic-C.

PF

Old 1 Week Ago   #147
YouAreHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post

"Millennials" are not a monolith. I am a millennial and yet I have stacks of darkroom prints. Perhaps you should lay off the "How Millennials are killing off xyz" articles.
Darkroom prints from an SD card-based camera? I'm talking about printing a digital file on an inkjet printer. That's the step that seems to be disappearing, nothing is printed, it's posted for on-line sharing instead.

Old 1 Week Ago   #148
mabelsound

Quote:
Darkroom prints from an SD card-based camera? I'm talking about printing a digital file on an inkjet printer. That's the step that seems to be disappearing, nothing is printed, it's posted for on-line sharing instead.
I find that my iPad Pro's display is generally a more satisfying way to view photographs than an inkjet print. I certainly don't expect prints to go away, but for those of us who don't live in a city with good galleries and museums, viewing photos online is an excellent option. I've done a fair amount of printing, but haven't in a while, and I don't miss it particularly.

Regarding the "millennial" label, it is indeed vexing when older members of this form slap the younger ones with generational insults like "hipster." If it were possible for people to live to 175, there would absolutely be RFF members who regarded everything but daguerreotypes to be artistically invalid.

Old 1 Week Ago   #149
Corran

Quote:
Firstly, if you are so inclined:
www.digitalsilverimaging.com

Secondly...what method of printing, or printing anything at all, has exactly zero to do with this product. Unless somehow you expected Yashica to reinvent how photographs were printed??

+1 to all of the above from mabelsound.

Old 1 Week Ago   #150
Paul T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Regarding the "millennial" label, it is indeed vexing when older members of this form slap the younger ones with generational insults like "hipster." If it were possible for people to live to 175, there would absolutely be RFF members who regarded everything but daguerreotypes to be artistically invalid.
too right. Honestly, at odd points this thread has become Old Guys Who Pose With Leicas, slagging off Young Guys With Yashicas.

I kinda like the idea of this camera, as I do the Fuji SQ10, because users might actually have, you know, Fun.

Old 1 Week Ago   #151
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I think the term "hipster" is belief and behavior rather than age related. Millennials in generally shouldn't be offended by its use. Of course, if the shoe fits... And what does the term "hipster" and "artistically invalid" have to do with one another?

Old 1 Week Ago   #152
Archlich

Quote:
I am still trying to figure out the film part of Digifilm. Those plastic cartridges are for choosing camera settings. The images are stored on an SD card. So what's the film part? The fake advance lever? The more I think about this the stupider it seems. But so far 5000 people have bought some form of it. I guess there are 5000 people around the world that would buy just about anything. Maybe I should offer a 50 foot hose that is really a squirt gun so people could pretend they are watering the lawn. Cool.
The film part is the...materiality of photography. When exposing a roll, when processing and printing it, you know you and the film had been to the very same space, in the same time. The photons that once hit your retina are the photons that imprinted onto the silver halide. It's a promise, and the action of changing film is to keep it.

You can't expect this Yashica to trace the full course of film photography, it being digital after all. But the concept is as capable as it gets: a faux ritual, suitable for this age. All people are upset about is just the "not-so-serious" sensor size...

Old 1 Week Ago   #153
f16sunshine

The digifilm is seems to be a hardware solution for what is typically solved by software (menus/firmware/etc..).
It's a little pre-programmed module.
Reminds me of a game cartridge of the old Nintendo NES system.

Again I think it's an ultimately a compliment to film in how it copies film in it's "fixed" choice.
Very cute although, probably a "one hit wonder" as folks find how limiting it is compared to their phones camera.
Fun for now and maybe inspires further innovation.
Hard to see anything bad about any of this.

Old 1 Week Ago   #154
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
The digifilm is seems to be a hardware solution for what is typically solved by software (menus/firmware/etc..).
It's a little pre-programmed module.
Reminds me of a game cartridge of the old Nintendo NES system.

Again I think it's an ultimately a compliment to film in how it copies film in it's "fixed" choice.
Very cute although, probably a "one hit wonder" as folks find how limiting it is compared to their phones camera.
Fun for now and maybe inspires further innovation.
Hard to see anything bad about any of this.
After the camera hit the market, they can start selling filters in this digifilm form, lots of them, in different colours with fancy names, like "Mary of Silence" (muted colour), "Bloody as Hell" (boosted red colour), and so on.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 1 Week Ago   #155
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
After the camera hit the market, they can start selling filters in this digifilm form, lots of them, in different colours with fancy names, like "Mary of Silence" (muted colour), "Bloody as Hell" (boosted red colour), and so on.
Would "Ansel's Moon" and "Grey Henri" or "William Chrome" be more appealing? Or perhaps "Provoke Grain", for the Asian market?

Old 1 Week Ago   #156
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
I expect an electric auto-recock and winder add-on, that will be sold to make a press-version of the camera that can do 10fps.

Old 5 Days Ago   #157
BillBingham2

They just answered two questions (no from me).

Oh My Gosh, they are making money hand over fist on this one........

Is it a fix aperture of F2.8 equipped in Y35?

Yes, this is a fix F2.8 aperture equipped in Y35.

What is the focusing system of Y35?

Y35 is equipped with a high quality fixed-focus lens.

Old 5 Days Ago   #158
NickTrop

Not sure about this Yashica and its "film roll" concept. What "I" think would be an interesting idea would be a digital Olympus XA. Same design. No LCD screen at all. Manual RF focus. Aperture priority. 35mm f 2.8 fix lens. Clam shell design. Everything same as original. Maybe info in viewfinder digital if it saves costs...

But -- squeeze a full frame sensor in there that only shoots raw. You have to load your photos into some proprietary raw processor that comes with the camera. You can't see your pics until you import them from the camera. No chimping.

Old 5 Days Ago   #159
NickTrop

If the laws of physics will allow -- a full-frame camera that truly is pocketable and at a modest price.

Old 5 Days Ago   #160
rcubed
Canadian

They finally released prototype sample photos