Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Olympus 35 RC - front lens element.
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Rob Archer

Olympus 35 RC - front lens element.

I've recently come by an Olympus 35RC. It's in very good cosmetic and mechanical condition but the front lens element is badly scratched. Anyone know if there are any stockists of spare elements or does anyone have one lying around they would be prepared to part with? It would be nice to get this lovely little camera back into service.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
zuikologist

Rob I would try the camera as is - unless the lens has been sandpapered you may be pleasantly surprised. The RC lens is contrasty and sharp. Usual caveat of not shooting into the sun. Inking in the deeper scratches with a black sharpie pen may help.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
charjohncarter

Mine has some scratches and I'm never seen anything on prints.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
retinax

A lens hood could help if you decide to use it with the scratches. I'd try to find some sort of plastic tube that fits on the lens, go to your local drugstore/chemist's and look at the lids of deodorants etc., there may be something mode from black plastic that has the right diameter for a press fit.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
A lens hood could help if you decide to use it with the scratches. I'd try to find some sort of plastic tube that fits on the lens, go to your local drugstore/chemist's and look at the lids of deodorants etc., there may be something mode from black plastic that has the right diameter for a press fit.
Good idea, this camera can not have a flare lens hood it blocks the RF. I bought one that had a rubber flared hood. I finally cut the rubber off. As the metal part was probably 10mm wide, I now have a short lens hood.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
BernardL

Quote:
this camera can not have a flare lens hood it blocks the RF.
Why not a vented hood? Need a step up/down ring, but that is almost a necessity with the Olympus rangefinders (43.5mm!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VentedHood.jpg (6.2 KB, 2 views)