Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

View Poll Results: Which is your main B&W film developer?
Kodak D76 / Ilford ID-11 (or equivalent) 100 28.57%
Kodak T-Max / Ilford Iflotec DD-X (or equivalent) 20 5.71%
Kodak XTOL / Ilford Ilfosol 3 (or equivalent) 51 14.57%
Kodak HC-110 / Ilford Ilfotec HC (or equivalent) 91 26.00%
Adox Rodinal (or equivalent) 98 28.00%
Pyrogallo Type 2 0.57%
Pyrocat Type 11 3.14%
OTHER - Commerical Product 26 7.43%
OTHER - Home Brew 15 4.29%
OTHER - Home Brew of Commerical Prods (e.g. XTOL+RO9) 4 1.14%
These Options are too [email protected]#$%! 10 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2017   #41
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
Juan: Didn't mean to slight Microphen by any means. Clearly I left out plenty of good stuff. Caffenol and a variety of good stuff, too. Worked off the Ilford-Kodak equivalent sheet on the web (and didn't add the ECO equivalents). My apologies.

FWIW, I'm glad folks mentioned the other developers... like Beutler and D-23 and hope that will continue. Would've liked to have seen FX-1/FX-2/TFX-2 and a slew of others as well (I have a bottle of TFX-2 I bought on a lark). The Barry Thornton Dixatol (Ultra) / Exactol Lux and some of the other good old stuff is of interest as well. But I keep going with what works and is dependable.
Oh, no, your pole is great! Indeed, Microphen is inside it (DD-X equivalent...), and yes, impossible to name so many developers...
By the way, the quotation at the bottom of your posts is wonderful!
Thank you for your kind words!

Old 07-18-2017   #42
Perks

I have recently tried Xtol after a couple of years with D-76 for Hp5+
I really like it, as it does what it says on the tin, greater speed, less grain, sharper and more preserved highlights. The tonality is different, and i like that too.
I have so far only used the recommended inversion sequence, but have cut down on the recommended times.
I only scan (at this stage) and whilst I cant say I prefer the tonality to D76 (I like both looks) for my 400 speed needs (often pushing, harsh sun and contrast) and workflow I will be using Xtol for the foreseeable future.

Old 07-19-2017   #43
jamin-b

Lately I have been doing everything in HC-110, 1+100 semi stand development, rating at box speed. I know this may not be optimal, but i have been pleased with the results with Tmax 100 and 400, Ilford Pan 50, FP4+, HP5+ and Tri-x (at 250 or 400). Semi stand for me means agitating for the first 30 seconds or so and 5-6 inversions each 15 minutes after, for a total of 45 minutes development.

Old 07-19-2017   #44
roscoetuff

Juan: Thanks! Flaherty was the documentary filmmaker. Did "Nanook of the North" and then a piece on Louisiana's bayou life in the 1950's.

jamin-B: I'm doing the HC-110 in 1:100 but low agitation (1st 60 seconds, followed by 10 seconds every 3 minutes... typically for a total of 18-24 minutes depending on temp). Works very well. Might try your Semi-Stand sometime just to free up more of my own time. Good part about low agitation is there's none of the dreaded streaking, bromide drag or whatever issues (so far).

FWIW, would sure love to see the poll numbers cross the 300-350 range to give a bead on things. Assuming good poll numbers are 700 to 800 here, and perhaps 50% are active and active developers to boot, that might be a good goal. Biggest suprise so far is the ZERO for pyrogallo type developers... which kind of supports those who suggest it's an internet buzz with fewer followers than it seems. "One of those things that makes you say, 'Hmmmmmmm'."

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 07-19-2017   #45
Deardorff38

I suspect that some pyrogallol users switched to pyrocat as I did...

Old 07-19-2017   #46
giganova

Ilford DD-X for all my b&w films. Fabulous developer!

Old 07-20-2017   #47
Craig Schroeder

PyroCat MC has been what I've settled on with some Xtol used a bit, too. The PyroCat has eased my film scanning struggles but gives up about a stop in film speed for best results. The tonal transitions seem smoother and the edge effects add some snap back to the image, especially eyelashes and other hard edges. Shelf life and activity levels are very consistent for my erratic usage, too.

Old 07-21-2017   #48
Erik van Straten

I voted "other" as I use Perceptol diluted 1:2.

Erik.

Old 07-21-2017   #49
Dogman

I didn't vote since it's been years since I used film. But I probably used more Agfa Rodinal than anything else during those several decades I spent with film, mainly using Tri-X. I diluted the Rodinal 1:75 with a sodium sulfite mixture, as detailed by Bill Pierce in a magazine article sometime in the 1970's. That Tri-X/Rodinal combination was my standard.

When Rodinal became hard to find locally, I used Edwal FG7 for a time and then switched to D76 simply because it was so universally available.

I don't think the current Adox Rodinal is the same formula as the Agfa Rodinal I used. Even Tri-X is different now.

Old 07-21-2017   #50
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I don't think the current Adox Rodinal is the same formula as the Agfa Rodinal I used. Even Tri-X is different now.
Yes, TriX is different now, but the active substance of Rodinal, para-aminofenolhydrochlorid, is unchanged since the 19th century.

Erik.

Old 07-21-2017   #51
Pioneer

Quote:
...I don't think the current Adox Rodinal is the same formula as the Agfa Rodinal I used. Even Tri-X is different now.
It is unlikely you could tell the difference in photographs developed in the current versions against photographs developed in the old formula.

EDIT - As Erik points out, it still uses the same active developing ingredient.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 07-21-2017   #52
roscoetuff

Surprised no one has listed Perceptol. Outside of Barry Thornton's "Edge of Darkness", maybe it doesn't get much play. I'm thinking it should, but maybe we're all Kodakicized? My next Kodak cousin to give a trial to might well be some D-23 like ol Pioneer Dan.

Should've bumped up Pyrocat-HD by one... as I'm using it and liked it enough to order a 2nd batch. Still a little leery of the stuff which is why the poll here came to mind to see what folks are actually using. Not sure that everyone is avoiding Pyrocat-HD per se, but FWIW, I see that on APUG and Largeformat and some other site I forget, Pyrocat-HD has more or less replaced the Barry Thornton signature developers: Dixatol/Exactol. He did get some pretty nice results.

In the end, I need to do some testing. Decide what I like as "keepers", what's easy to work with, and junk the rest. Just saying.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer

Old 07-21-2017   #53
Nokton48

Quote:
Surprised no one has listed Perceptol.
Don't use Perceptol, cause it can't be replenished. But I love the look I get from it! Use Leagcy Mic-X instead, basically the same thing. Add replenisher which I make using the Mic-X and the Kodak instructions. My stock solution is FOUR YEARS OLD and still gives lovely results. Takes about fifty rolls to get it properly "seasoned". Very economical way to beautifully develop BOKU film stock of all kinds.

001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 07-23-2017   #54
Skiff

Quote:
Well, Adox Rodinal is the original Agfa Rodinal formula!
The same formula used by Agfa Germany in their chemical plant in Vaihingen before they stopped production of photo chemistry there (the plant is still operating by the way, but producing other chemical products).
Adox has their own photo chemistry production now.

Old 07-23-2017   #55
webOSUser

I've been using HC110 and the 'Massive Development Chart' Android application for all of my B&W processing. It seems to be working well enough.

Old 07-29-2017   #56
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I'll admit I've had dalliances with others, but when they go bad - as they inevitably do - I always come back to HC110.

Chris

Old 07-29-2017   #57
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I have to admit that I've only developed a dozen rolls of film after a 41 year hiatus in the darkroom.
So I tried Rodinal, and now D76. The prints from Tmax in D76 are pretty nice, I think I will go that route for a while.

Old 07-29-2017   #58
roscoetuff

Nokton: What dilutions are you using for Mic-X? And how are you using this? Perceptol's a one-shot. Most seem to be. Just curious.

Old 09-05-2017   #59
Nokton48

Quote:
Nokton: What dilutions are you using for Mic-X? And how are you using this? Perceptol's a one-shot. Most seem to be. Just curious.
I don't dilute it, I use it straight and replenish it. My stock solution is over four years old!

I use this developer for 16mm to 8x10" film

35mm is Eastman 5222 Double-X motion picture film.

Old 09-05-2017   #60
pet905

I have settled with Rodinal and XTOL as my developers. Rodinal for slow film and XTOL for 400 ISO film.

Peter

Old 09-06-2017   #61
giganova

Question for you guys: the only developer that I have ever used is Ilford DD-X. However, since I am getting tired of the expensive shipping costs plus I don't have a cool room to store it in the summer, I am looking for a powder alternative. Which powder developer would give me good results with FP4 and HP5?

Old 09-06-2017   #62
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Question for you guys: the only developer that I have ever used is Ilford DD-X. However, since I am getting tired of the expensive shipping costs plus I don't have a cool room to store it in the summer, I am looking for a powder alternative. Which powder developer would give me good results with FP4 and HP5?
Best powder developer IMO is Microphen. It doesn´t dilute grain, and you can use it for HP5+ up to ISO 3200.
For FP4 you can use Rodinal: liquid, beautiful tone, it lasts for more than 10 years, tight crisp grain, and with a $15 500ml bottle you can process 100 rolls...
J.

Old 09-17-2017   #63
SyPat

FX-55 is a fantastic formula: high resolution, nice greyscale and really fine grain.

Old 09-24-2017   #64
kingjon

Rodinal, HC110 dil.h and am about to mix a batch of caffenol and try that. Like the shelf life of Rodinal and HC110, buy it and forget it!

Old 09-25-2017   #65
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
I have to admit that I've only developed a dozen rolls of film after a 41 year hiatus in the darkroom.
I'm with you.... Except in my case the hiatus was more like 35 years. Photography class in HS involved mixing up the developer (D76?) in hot water, then cooling it in a water bath. Sometimes we kept it in the refrigerator and had to use a warming bath. It was tedious, time-consuming and frustrating. After that semester, I switched to Kodachrome and never looked back.

Now, my experiments with B&W are using Rodinal. So easy and simple.

Old 10-09-2017   #66
Ted Striker

I can develop a batch of film using Kodak HC-110 in under 30 minutes. Clean up included!

Old 10-09-2017   #67
webOSUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
I can develop a batch of film using Kodak HC-110 in under 30 minutes. Clean up included!
I am a bit envious. Sometimes it seems to take that long for me to mix the HC110 and get the developer temperature down to 20°C.

Old 10-10-2017   #68
giulio stucchi

In my first year of home made development (2012) I used Adox Adonal mainly with APX100 and tri-x / neopan 400. Later I moved to Ilford LC-29 and tri-x adding a bottle of DD-X from time to time for pushing tri-x and also for acros 100.
Inspired by the work of Erik I once tried perceptol with t-max 400 but LC-29 stays as my main developers also for the short time necessary to run batch of 2 film. I might consider Adonal / Rodinal again for future projects.
Giulio

Old 10-13-2017   #69
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

October 13, 2017: aaand Rodinal passes HC110 and takes the lead! Rodinal is ahead by a sprocket hole!

Old 03-07-2018   #70
Chuffed Cheese

Was ID-11 Stock for awhile but I just ordered some DD-x tp try out.

Old 03-08-2018   #71
spaceistheplace

I've used D76 for the last 50 or 60 rolls and I get the results I want with the films I use, no reason to mess things up.

Raúl C.

Old 03-08-2018   #72
narsuitus

Kodak D-76 for roll film and sheet film.

Portable Dark Room by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 03-08-2018   #73
DNG
Film Friendly

Mainly HC110 H (1:60) at box speed or I pull one stop, I shoot Tmax 400
I use TMax 1:4 sometimes. not too often though

I use Time to adjust the contrast. More = More, Less = Less... 10%-20%... depends on sunny or cloudy days for the majority of the frames.

Nikon: F2, EM, Konica: FS-1, TC,

Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 35mm f/2 O N/Ai 50mm f/1.4 S N/Ai, 105mm f/2.5 P N/Ai
Hexanon: 28mm f/3.5 AR, 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 03-09-2018   #74
Schlapp

Been using PQ paper developer for films recently. 1:10 2mims or 1:20 4 mins .
Works rather well for everything.

Old 03-13-2018   #75
Pentode

I use D-76 1:1 most of the time.

For certain applications HC-110, Rodinol and Acufine see some use but none of those anywhere near as much as I use D-76.

Old 03-13-2018   #76
Fuchs

HC-110 Dil. B. Easy preparation and almost eternal storage life
My flickr

Old 03-14-2018   #77
Rayt

I am set on the following combinations and they work for me:

Rodinal with Acros
D76 with Tri-X and TMY
HC110 with HP5+

Old 11-26-2018   #78
colker
-

D 76 diluted 1+3 gives the sharpest visible grain while keeping tri x at 320 asa. I like it better than hc 110.

D76 is easy, cheap and excellent.

Old 11-26-2018   #79
colker
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Give me a fast fixer and washing and i can do that w/ any developer but... why? Just do it perfect.

Old 12-18-2018   #80
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Rodinal for 100asa or slower, anything quicker is HC110.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/