Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

What have you just DROPPED?
Old 02-03-2017   #1
unixrevolution

What have you just DROPPED?

I figure we need a place to vent about the accidents I know we all have sometimes.

This is where you tell us what you just dropped, broke, misplaced, or lost. It can be your fault, a friend, family member, or the camera's fault, if the camera simply broke in your hands.

I just dropped by Pentax MX.
It was wearing the 40mm f/2.8, I thought I had it by the strap, but it hit the concrete outside my workplace.

No damage, apart from a small scuff on the bottom plate. The focus screen popped loose but I put it back in. Good as new!

So tell us, What have you just dropped?

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 02-03-2017   #2
css9450

I posted once before about my Nikon N90S... I was on my way to the door carrying my camera bag which unbeknownst to me was not zipped closed at the top. Just as I turned the corner to go down the stairs, my N90S rolled out and started down the stairs all by itself; Bang! Bang! Bang! One step at a time. Its an old house with steep wooden stairs so it made a ton of noise. I retrieved it at the bottom, checked it out quickly, and put it back in the bag. Never missed a beat!

Old 02-03-2017   #3
Danielsan

dropped my Ricoh gr while riding my bike 2 weeks ago.
The zip on my little beltbag loosened and it fell out straight to the concrete.
I was so lucky it only has a minor scratch at the bottom and one of the screws must have popped out, but works perfectly.
Love that little thing just the more now...

Old 02-03-2017   #4
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I had my Fujifilm FinePix S3Pro in the backseat of my 4Runner...when I opened the back door it fell out and rolled to the ground...I picked it up and quickly looked at it...saw a scuff mark of the rear dial and the lens hood was pushed back...that was it.
It works just fine...I was impressed...I'm glad I didn't take my D3x that morning...
pf

Old 02-03-2017   #5
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The last time I dropped a camera was years ago. The wind at Fort Tilden blew the tiny Ricoh FF-1 right out of my hands.
Of course I didn't have my hand through the wrist strap. Though it fell on soft beach sand it would no longer advance film.

Years before that I literally fell on my Olympus 35RC, tripping up a set of sidewalk stairs near The Fenway in Boston.
After that I noticed the lens barrel was loose. The camera still worked fine, but IIRC my ribs hurt for a week after.

A heavy glass door (at a camera store, naturally) once closed and came between me and my trusty Nikon Photomic FTn.
The neckstrap kept the camera from falling to the ground but it hit the metal frame hard, and I hit my head on the glass.
It emerged completely unscathed and continued to work perfectly. I refer to the camera of course, not my head...

Chris

Old 02-03-2017   #6
Spanik

Last thing I dropped was a 21mm viewfinder. The plastic is cracked but it still functions.

Old 02-03-2017   #7
majid
Fazal Majid

My fancy Swiss watch. It actually keeps better time now, but at least one of the dials is wonky and adjustments feel rough, so I sent it for servicing, and awaiting the estimate with no small amount of dread.

Photographers like to complain about the high price of the Leica M10, Fuji GFX50S or Hasselblad X1D, but they are actually about the same as an entry-level mechanical watch.

Old 02-03-2017   #8
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

First was a YashicaMat in Mexico on the rock streets ( rum and patient experimenting brought it back to usable state) next was a CoolPix S-210 that jammed the lens at an angle , that was a serious challenge to replace the lens and motor, but it was to no avail, I couldn't re-solder the printed cable successfully. I've reassessed how I use my cameras ..
Peter

Old 02-03-2017   #9
mpaniagua

About two weeks ago I dropped a Leica III eyepiece shell was broken. Been repaired though. It is in users condition, no collector condition so no big loss. Thank good this cameras are build like a tank .

Regards

Marcelo.

Old 02-03-2017   #10
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post

Photographers like to complain about the high price of the Leica M10, Fuji GFX50S or Hasselblad X1D, but they are actually about the same as an entry-level mechanical watch.
And similarly both have been replaced by smartphones for 99% of the population

And with that seamless segue the last camera I dropped way my iPhone 5, dropped a few weeks ago. The screen popped out most of the way, I could see it's guts underneath. I just pushed it back in and it continues to work.

Old 02-03-2017   #11
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I dropped my Ricoh GR trying to put it in the back of the car while in a bag. Just fell out, hit the pavement and skittered along under the car. I had to move the car to reach it on the wet ground. Ricoh repaired it good as new. Years ago I literally hurled a Pentax LX and 24~50 zoom to the ground in a parking lot. It wasn't in fact around my neck, just on my lap. Watched it bounce and bounce and bounce. Shattered the front element of the lens and thrashed the finder. Also repaired, and I shot both for years afterwards.

Old 02-03-2017   #12
Oren Grad

Last weekend, while reaching for something else I managed to swat my Canon IXY Digital 55 off of a coffee table and on to a hard floor. Slippery little thing! Happily, no apparent damage and it seems to be working fine.

Old 02-03-2017   #13
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Leica Frankenfinder! A tiny nick on the inside, not visible through the finder. Though to be honest, I'm not sure whether that happened in the most recent spill or when it hit the marble floor at MoMA five years ago... but whatever, it's a very tough viewfinder that I've never actually used with a Leica (I use it most with a GL690 Fuji).

My 6yo son, on the other hand, dropped my M240 and a 35/1.4 ASPH. No permanent damage, though that's something of a heart-attack kind of thing. Or like Abraham and Isaac, just forgetting to hear the voice at the end that tells you not to sacrifice your firstborn.

Dante

Old 02-03-2017   #14
gb hill

Dropped my Canon 35-70 fd lens & busted the plastic focus ring. Cheap plastic just fell apart so trashed it. Gotta be careful with the latter Canon FD lenses. The older breech mounts made tougher but heavier. Good thing I only paid 10 bucks for it.

Oops
Old 02-03-2017   #15
Mark J

Oops

42 years ago, I dropped onto my two Leica M3's. One required a pair of pliers to remove the film canister. After two separate repair agencies, it was fixed. I still use them on occasion. The one still has plier marks on the film compartment. The camera saved my hip from damaged. Sturdy little buggers.

Old 02-03-2017   #16
lawnpotter

I must have dropped my phone at least a hundred times in the last 3 years but it is a flip phone so no damage. Last month I dropped my shock proof panasonic lumix dmc-ts20. It takes terrible pictures but its always with me and I never worry about it.

Old 02-03-2017   #17
christopheradams

Dubai Airport, late at night after a flight from Paris. Was re-arranging things at baggage claim and leaned over without realizing my camera bag was open, spilling an M6 plus 35mm lens and a light meter onto the hard tile. Aperture blades of the lens were dislocated, and the swivel head of the light meter snapped off. M6 was fine.

This is the last picture I took before the accident.

Ilona by Christopher Adams, on Flickr

Old 02-05-2017   #18
seany65

I broke my Gevaert Gevabox (version 2?). Only had it a couple of days.

I'd managed to find out that there's a removable narrow panel that gives access to the front part which holds the shutter and viewfinders and I'd been able to clean the vertical viewfinders' lenses and mirror but had trouble getting to the horizontal arrangement. Anyway, I noticed that ther was a piece of wood along the top behind both mirrors which didn't look like it was doing anything. I removed it.

Either the piece of wood was doing something (no idea what though), or it had damaged something on it's way down to the bottom of the camera or I'd damaged something when trying to pull it out, but the shutter stopped working properly. After firing on 'M' (1/30th) the curtain didn't close correctly or sometimes it wouldn't open etc. It wouldn't open at all on 'B'.

So now it's broken and thrown out.

I really want to smack my head in for breaking it. I had plans for that camera. I hope to get another one soon.

If I break that one as well I prolly won't b able to type for a few months as I may break my fingers to punish myself.

Interestingly though, I noticed that it had several wires in it going from place to place, at least one seemed to be attached to the back of one of the mirrors.

Old 02-05-2017   #19
Dogman

Earlier today I dropped a box of ink jet paper that landed on my Epson R3000's slide out tray that catches and holds finished prints. Paper and the tray both hit the floor with a loud crash and I added to the noise with some verbal abuse aimed at my clumsiness. It took a few minutes but I got the tray reattached and it appears no permanent damage was done.

If we go into my history of dropping things, I have a number of stories about broken cameras and lenses. One of the most frustrating was when I was changing lenses and put a brand new Nikkor 180/2.8 on the roof of my car only to inadvertently swat it off with my arm. It hit the concrete parking lot and rolled under my car, leaving a trail of broken glass. It turned out the glass was from the UV filter and the lens only had some scuffs and scratches. I had to remove the filter ring with pliers but the threads were intact. I used that lens without problem for several more years until I pretty much wore it out.

Old 02-05-2017   #20
Doug

Olympus 35RC bought used for $90 in 1972, extensive rebuild in 2003 including replacing top & bottom covers with better ones without dents or scratches, foam, meter repair, etc, $93. Sweet little camera...

At the time I kept cameras on the closet shelf above the clothes rack, and somehow snagged the 35RC while accessing another camera... down it came, impacting a wire rack and denting the lens filter ring. Darn, that was careless!

Old 02-05-2017   #21
Brian Legge

I've only dropped one non-lens cap photography ten... and it was an M4. I usually wear a camera bag across my chest. I quickly threw it over my shoulder once and it slipped off 5 minutes later.

It landed on the corner of the rewind knob and bent it. Fortunately that spared the rest of the camera. 20 minutes with a screw driver and pliers to remove and straighten the knob (to the point of not grinding against the body while rewinding) and I was up and shooting again. Big picture, it was a cheap lesson.

Old 02-05-2017   #22
skucera

Many years ago I sat my Canon EOS 650 on the dining room table with the strap just barely over the edge. One of my kids, at toddler back then, pulled the strap and I watched from three feed away as the camera slipped off the table and fell in slow motion at the floor. It landed right on its lens, split the plastic lens barrel, and broke the focusing screen. I couldn't afford to repair the camera, not with two little kids and a third on the way, so I simply packed the camera away for some day when I could afford to repair it. I finally got around to fixing it this summer. It sat in boxes for 17 years, moving from house to house since that drop.

I've still got to replace the 50mm f1.4 USM lens that broke... someday....

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 02-05-2017   #23
kaydee

Dropped my Hassy because I'm a moron with butterfingers. The door now won't properly "close." The XPan has auto rewind that starts when the door is closed, but the dent seems to have messed up this mechanism. Not a big issue tho since the latch clip can be still be pressed down to activate it. A little annoyance, but better than having a 2 grand paperweight. Everything else still works.

Old 02-06-2017   #24
Pentode

Last week I dropped - and caught! - my Retina IIa. It was like a juggling act, but I did manage to keep it from hitting the ground... barely.

I just dropped about 100 bucks on film. Does that count?

Old 02-06-2017   #25
Timmyjoe

Shown this before. Dog leash caught camera strap on my pristine M3 SS, camera flew thru the air and crashed down on cement sidewalk.

Painful. Don (DAG) was able to fix everything so it works fine, but it don't look fine no more.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-06-2017   #26
igzabeher

Back in September my wife and I were in Trapani. On one of the beaches there's a jetty of uneven rocks with a great view of the city, the Ligny Tower, and the Sun as it was setting. As I am wont to do, I set myself up on two tripods. On one, I had my IR modded Panasonic GH3 and I don't remember what was on the second. Long story short, I somehow managed to bump the tripod with the GH3 on it and sent it careening into the (thankfully shallow) depths of the jetty. When I retrieved it, I had cracked the nameplate that houses the pop up flash clean off. Other than that, works like a charm. My first, and thus far only, major casualty.

Old 02-06-2017   #27
jarski

dropped early Leica II. there was normal loss of paint on it, but no dings or scratches, before me. was angry to myself for a good while after

Old 02-06-2017   #28
sara

Ok touchwood I haven't dropped anything just yet HOWEVER, I did nearly at one point when I was carrying my M2 with the strap on my shoulder and it slipped off and I managed to catch the strap with my legs before it hit the ground.

That was an awful moment.

Old 02-06-2017   #29
stompyq

I keep dropping my phone. Does that count? Last camera I dropped was my Ricoh GR. dropped it straight down onto concrete. Dented side and a giant crack running lengthwise on the screen. This was last winter. It still works perfectly

Old 02-06-2017   #30
oftheherd

Several years ago, I dropped my Sekonic L28c2 on a carpeted floor which had concrete below it. I still worked, but I had to rotate it horizontally so one side was up and the other down. I was pleased that it still worked as I had used it a lot and liked it. About two years ago, I dropped it again (in about the same place). Now it words fine.

About 3 years ago, my wife was trying to show me what she was convinced was a better way to utilize our closet shelf space. I had a Vivitar 500mm cat lens there. The funny tinkling sound when I picked it up removed any desire to use it anymore. It slinked away in apparent embarrassment.

Old 02-06-2017   #31
Out to Lunch

I dropped my CV 15mm viewfinder for the Epson R-D1...a total loss. One day, the CV 1.4/40 -a very fine lens, dislodged from the camera and fell from a height of one meter on a marble floor... the lens hood absorbed the impact and the lens survived. Looking at some of the incidents listed above, I've been lucky...

Old 02-06-2017   #32
KarmaToBurn

Dropped my Kodak Retina IIa. Rangefinder now needs a vertical adjustment. The Horizontal still lines up properly and everything else is still great.

Old 02-06-2017   #33
MadsJaeger

Oh my God, such horror stories! Dropped my Nikon FE2 on the concrete floor at the Centre Pompidou in Paris with the Zeiss 2/35 zf.2 attached. FE2 was totalled while I had the Zeiss - which I love dearly - repaired at considerable expense. Luckily, I also brought along an FM2 along as a backup

Old 02-06-2017   #34
Aristo

Four years ago I lost a Contax T3. My last guess was, I left it on the car roof while fiddling with other stuff. Off it went...
Was able to by another one here on RFF for – yes!, 300 Euro. Impossible nowadays.

Old 02-06-2017   #35
Stelios

Where do I start.. Leica M6, several times, coming out of the car on to the pavement, from my hands to the pavement many many times, from my shoulder on to the floor, I've fallen on ice with the camera on my back (that demanded a viewfinder replacement). It mostly knocks the rangefinder off, sometimes badly, others not so bad. It's slightly off now but not worth the repair just yet. Touch wood, the lens is still ok. I can't be trusted with the thing but still works flawlessly. Decided it's time to put it in a half case...

Old 02-06-2017   #36
ferider

Do NOT carry your iPhone in your jeans' back-pocket.

Last year I had to fish one (not mine) out of the toilet and - when researching the issue - iphone => toilet drops happen frequently. Newer iphones even have a device that will show water damage when you bring the dried phone for possible repair/exchange to the Genius bar.

The last big thing I dropped was my K1600GT. Basically from standing though, so - besides a couple of scratches - nothing serious happened and I was happy to be able to lift it myself (bike weights ~700 lbs).

Old 02-06-2017   #37
mooge

Once I was riding my bike and dropped my Olympys Pen EE3 out of my mouth (I was trying to get my hand out of the strap).

That and I've dropped my Leica M2 a bunch of times. But what really gets me cheesed is that last year I bought two "good" light meters (Gossen digital something and Sekonic something with one of those blue silicon sensor deals) and had both of them crap out on me within months, with no abuse necessary. And I bought a Bessa R2 as a backup to the M2, and its meter died as well!!!! Absolutely dreadful. Mechanical stuff I can (attempt to) fix, electrical stuff not so much...

Old 02-06-2017   #38
Jake Mongey

I had the canon 7 mounted on a tripod and my dog came flying over and in one soul - destroying charge tripod goes flying. Huge dent in the 50mm f/0.95. Then on another trip somehow the same lens manages to dent the side of the camera even with a good pad in the bag separating it. My bad luck i suggest but also taught me to not only use the pads, but also wrap all items in socks.

Saving up for repairs now.

Old 02-06-2017   #39
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I broke my phone display once in my life: Nexus 5. It was in my shoulder/arm pocket which was not fully zipped, and I was lifting my mountain bike on to the roof rack of my car. The phone fell to the very rough parking lot pavement to its doom. Credit card benefit replaced it for free.

Directly camera related: It didn't happen to me, but someone who bought an M2-R from me. It was a beautiful example, fully working. About a month or two later (maybe more?) the buyer texted me just as a heads up that he dropped the M2-R and the VF area was destroyed. The picture he sent me almost brought tears to my eyes. He talked to a tech and was basically told the camera was beyond saving. She was beautiful and still was too young to die.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 02-06-2017   #40
Fotobot

I have dropped three lenses, though none recently. Two Canon zooms and the lovely Canon 50mm f/1.2L. All were repaired by Canon. One of the zooms was smashed pretty good and bent out of shape.