Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Left-handed threads in what makes and models?
Old 11-21-2017   #1
JPiettro

Left-handed threads in what makes and models?

Please give me as much information as possible off the top of your head about what specific cameras you encountered that had left-handed thread screws in them. If it helps I need a warning for the following makes and models:
ZI Contaflex II, Contessa 35
Voigtlander Prominent, Vitessa L, Bessamatic
Diax IIa
Braun Paxette
Agfa Solinette, Karat
Pentacon FB, Exakta Varex IIb
Kodak Retinas (I, II, III), Signet 35
Wirgin Edinex
Welta Weltini
Balda Baldina (non-folding)
Argus C4
Konica III
Walz Envoy
Ricoh 500
Miranda Sensorex

I have a few more (but not many more, much less than I've listed: I'm a modest camera owner) but those above are the first ones that come on my mind.

If you can think of anything beyond my list - please go ahead and name it if it fits the subject of the thread!

I once managed to break two LH threaded screws in a row on 2 identical cameras. Those were holding the film counter dials. On the first one I though: What a stubborn screw! - and applied a little more force when unscrewing it - Snap!
On the second camera I thought: OK, on the first one it must've been frozen. Now this one should surrender! - Snap!
Those were 2 cheap FED 5B's and later I used them for spares but I wouldn't like to break a LH threaded screw in some expensive camera like Voigtlander Prominent, for instance.

Old 11-22-2017   #2
Grytpype

On the Contaflex, the screw holding the little sprocket that drives the frame counter is M1.4 LH thread (same on the Contax IIa and IIIa).

It's not in your list, but on the Contax II, III, and related Kievs, the screw holding the long lever that connects the self-timer to the shutter release is M1.7 LH. I have a camera in which someone has unscrewed this one anti-clockwise and stripped the thread in the chassis. I recently acquired a M1.7 LH tap (not easy) so I should be able to make a repair!

Steve.

Old 11-22-2017   #3
JPiettro

Steve, thanks. So the rest of my list looks fine to you in terms of LH threads? Or, does it simply mean that you could be unfamiliar with some of the cameras I listed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytpype View Post
On the Contaflex, the screw holding the little sprocket that drives the frame counter is M1.4 LH thread (same on the Contax IIa and IIIa).

It's not in your list, but on the Contax II, III, and related Kievs, the screw holding the long lever that connects the self-timer to the shutter release is M1.7 LH. I have a camera in which someone has unscrewed this one anti-clockwise and stripped the thread in the chassis. I recently acquired a M1.7 LH tap (not easy) so I should be able to make a repair!

Steve.

Old 11-22-2017   #4
Arbitrarium

Kodak Retina II has a reverse threaded wind on knob. You need to use a really thin wrench or grind down a tool to fit around a squared off part of the take up spool and then twist the wind on knob in reverse.

One other point on the Retina II, the little cap on the shutter release is threaded but it's so thin that you basically have no choice but to break it. I unscrewed it as carefully as possible and it still ruined the thread.

Old 11-22-2017   #5
JPiettro

Oh, boy! You better wouldn't tell me that.
All these cameras look so nice untouched. What a dilemma: to leave it as a nice piece of display bunch or attempt to open it up without any damage for complete CLA.
How did they manage to assemble them so neatly back in 1950-s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrarium View Post

One other point on the Retina II, the little cap on the shutter release is threaded but it's so thin that you basically have no choice but to break it. I unscrewed it as carefully as possible and it still ruined the thread.

Old 11-22-2017   #6
Grytpype

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPiettro View Post
Steve, thanks. So the rest of my list looks fine to you in terms of LH threads? Or, does it simply mean that you could be unfamiliar with some of the cameras I listed?
The only others I have any experience of are:

Braun Paxette: I can't recall any LH threads, but it's been a while!
Pentacon ('F' only): No LH mentioned in my notes.
Exakta: I don't think there are any.
Retinas: I'm currently reassembling a IIc and haven't met any. I've stripped everything except the wind spindle and the rangfinder, which I'll be doing shortly.

Old 11-22-2017   #7
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

pentax:
at least the spotmatic (and related models) have a tiny LH screw on the frame counter (under the cap).

agfa isolette:
the wind button is fixed on the coupling piece using an LH screw.

rollei 35:
i don't recall clearly .. wasn't the cap over the three screws fixing the film transport lever an LH screw itself? (the three little screws are RH)

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 11-22-2017   #8
Spanik

Mamiya ZE: the nut holding the advance lever.

Old 11-22-2017   #9
Arbitrarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPiettro View Post
Oh, boy! You better wouldn't tell me that.
All these cameras look so nice untouched. What a dilemma: to leave it as a nice piece of display bunch or attempt to open it up without any damage for complete CLA.
How did they manage to assemble them so neatly back in 1950-s?
They're very simple under the top cover, easy to clean and adjust, so it's worth making them usable, definitely. I resorted to gluing the shutter release cap back on. Can't tell the difference

Old 11-22-2017   #10
Timmyjoe

If memory serves, the screw holding on the Self-Timer lever on the Leica M2 and M3 is left handed threaded. Found that out the hard way.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-22-2017   #11
JPiettro

So, it sounds like most of the LH tread cases are associated either with a frame counter holding screw or a film advance lever screw.
However, not every film counter screw is LH-ed - Right?

Old 11-22-2017   #12
monopix

There's no hard and fast rules but LH thread screws are most often used to hold parts that rotate and which might cause a RH thread screw to unscrew in normal use. Film advance levers are one such case. I've also seen them used to hold parts that are under spring tension and where the spring is trying to rotate the part anti-clockwise and so, again, might cause a RH screw to unscrew.

So any part that rotates anti-clockwise or is being forced in that direction will possible have a LH thread screw and it's always worth trying both directions if you're not sure.

Old 11-22-2017   #13
Dralowid
Michael

Check the fixing on the bottom of a Leicaflexes and SL etc, the one that is within the tripod mount and is the secret key to all. I think but cannot be certain that it is a left hand thread

Old 11-22-2017   #14
johnf04

Older Prakticas have a left hand thread on the shutter speed dial.

Old 11-22-2017   #15
JPiettro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf04 View Post
Older Prakticas have a left hand thread on the shutter speed dial.
Too late. I had one but sold it.