Spooling exposed film INTO the film canister
Old 01-26-2017   #1
giganova

Spooling exposed film INTO the film canister

I think all film camera manufacturer got it wrong:

Wouldn't it make much more sense if you put the film canister into the camera, then spool the entire roll of unexposed film to the right side, and with every picture you take, the film gets loaded back into the light tight film canister? That way, all your exposed pictures would be protected and safely stored in a light-tight canister. When you are done taking the last picture, you just pop the back of the camera open and take out the film (no rewinding necessary because the exposed film is already back in the canister).

Old 01-26-2017   #2
BLKRCAT
99% Film

There were many automatic cameras in the 80s and 90s that did this.

Old 01-26-2017   #3
Spicy

Not that I'm the authority on it, but I think a number of manufacturers started doing that with the switch to the proto-DSLR film SLRS (late 90s plastic-fantastic ergoblobs). A friend or two have had some from Canon that I believe do this, and another manufacturer did it as well (all electric advance, none with thumb-advance).

Definitely agree with you that it's a better idea, although the only downside I can think of is that it changes the reload a bit, though not much. Like if you're rushing to reload the camera after finishing a roll and having to stand there furiously winding away -- not that there's any practical difference from the normal way.

Old 01-26-2017   #4
MikeMGB

APS cameras all did this, a great idea I thought.

Old 01-26-2017   #5
Sid836

Not really worth it. Let's say you want to develop the already exposed part of the film. How could one do that with the exposed film into the canister?
It is really inconvenient and at least to it never happened opening the camera back by accident while being in the mid of a running roll.
On the contrary, I had removed something of the first half of a Tri-x exposed at 320 to develop it as usual and exposed the second half at 1600 and push developed it.

Old 01-26-2017   #6
MikeMGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
Not really worth it. Let's say you want to develop the already exposed part of the film. How could one do that with the exposed film into the canister?
It is really inconvenient and at least to it never happened opening the camera back by accident while being in the mid of a running roll.
On the contrary, I had removed something of the first half of a Tri-x exposed at 320 to develop it as usual and exposed the second half at 1600 and push developed it.
In 40+ years of photography I think I've only developed a partial roll 4 or 5 times so I wouldn't consider that an issue.

Old 01-26-2017   #7
Spanik

The canon 500N I have here does that (must be more from that time that do this) just like any APS camera ever made.

Old 01-26-2017   #8
Foto-factotum

Does the Xpan not do this?

Old 01-26-2017   #9
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foto-factotum View Post
Does the Xpan not do this?
Yes, it does. One of the many things I like about it.

Old 01-26-2017   #10
mpaniagua

Canon EOS 850 did that too I think.

Regards.

Old 01-26-2017   #11
coogee

Seems like heading towards the logic of having a totally sealed canister like 110 film?

I'm no engineer - but with a non-battery dependent camera, wouldn't you be introducing a higher potential for failure, since all the tension will be on the first sprockets of the roll instead of the more securely-taped-to-the-spindle end of the roll?

And with the Xpan etc. you're reliant on a battery to get the film loaded into the camera?

Old 01-26-2017   #12
Hannes

Or use canisters at both sides. Old Contax could do that, Kiev based on the Contax too. And also Start SLR could use Contax /Kiev canisters.
Agfa Rapid always used 2 canisters

Old 01-26-2017   #13
Sid836

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
In 40+ years of photography I think I've only developed a partial roll 4 or 5 times so I wouldn't consider that an issue.
And in those years how many times did you accidentally open the camera back mid rol?

Also, bear in mind that it is faster to load the film, advance it to frame 1 and start shooting than loading the film and advancing it to the last frame and start shooting.
This is why no pro camera had such a feature.

Old 01-26-2017   #14
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
Or use canisters at both sides. Old Contax could do that, Kiev based on the Contax too. And also Start SLR could use Contax /Kiev canisters.
Agfa Rapid always used 2 canisters
Zeiss Contaflex SLRs, also.

Old 01-26-2017   #15
Satisfied Fool

It would only make sense with automatic cameras, right? Otherwise you have to manually wind the whole film to the other side before shooting. That said, I like the idea, just last week I lost some shots because police forced me to open the camera after taking a few photos of them.

Old 01-27-2017   #16
nickla

Ricoh GRs do this. It's great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk