Old 06-15-2019   #481
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Contax TVS III, Fuji C200, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com




  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #482
Greyscale
Registered User
 
Greyscale's Avatar
 
Greyscale is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Dodge Iowa
Age: 59
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
I installed Negative Labs Pro and in three clicks I got the image here, the original is the best that I could do trying to color-correct in Photoshop.



Negative Labs Pro test image. by Mike Novak, on Flickr

I also used it to batch-invert a roll of Kodak T-Max 100 shot with a Rollei 35S, three minutes to do a task that used to take a good part of an afternoon. What a time saver. All negatives digitized using a Sony A7ii with a Yashinon Tomioka 60mm 1:1 macro lens.


Rollei 35S, Zeiss Sonnar 40/2.8, Kodak T-Max 100 by Mike Novak, on Flickr
__________________
my flickr

My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #483
charjohncarter
Registered User
 
charjohncarter's Avatar
 
charjohncarter is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Danville, CA, USA
Posts: 8,683
I actually like scanning with a scanner when I'm doing color. I can adjust each RGB channel myself and then give myself some head and tail room to make it more easy to post process (0-255). Has anybody been able to to do this with a digital camera DNG file? The only way I can see to do it is to make sure your histogram in camera has this head and tail room then further adjust in post.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #484
Greyscale
Registered User
 
Greyscale's Avatar
 
Greyscale is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Dodge Iowa
Age: 59
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I actually like scanning with a scanner when I'm doing color. I can adjust each RGB channel myself and then give myself some head and tail room to make it more easy to post process (0-255). Has anybody been able to to do this with a digital camera DNG file? The only way I can see to do it is to make sure your histogram in camera has this head and tail room then further adjust in post.
You can do that in Camera RAW.
__________________
my flickr

My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #485
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
I thought negativelabpro.com was a game changer. And it is. But the new version 2.0 is even better. Out of curiousity I did not even crop out the unexposed areas as you are meant to. Results are great! Before if you didn't do that, it would make the colours off.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #486
Greyscale
Registered User
 
Greyscale's Avatar
 
Greyscale is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Dodge Iowa
Age: 59
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I thought negativelabpro.com was a game changer. And it is. But the new version 2.0 is even better. Out of curiousity I did not even crop out the unexposed areas as you are meant to. Results are great! Before if you didn't do that, it would make the colours off.
V2 is the one that I am using.
__________________
my flickr

My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019   #487
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Rollei QZ35W, Fuji C200, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

"Hot Pursuit"

  Reply With Quote

Wow!!!
Old 06-19-2019   #488
frank-grumman
Registered User
 
frank-grumman is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SoCal/PA
Posts: 257
Wow!!!

Just beautiful, Huss
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2019   #489
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-grumman View Post
Just beautiful, Huss
Thank u Frank!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2019   #490
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Rollei QZ35w, Fuji C200, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2019   #491
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Rollei QZ35W, Fuji C200, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

LA City Hall

  Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2019   #492
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Nikon N75, 50 1.8G, Fuji C200, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

  Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019   #493
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Leica R9, 50 Summilux, Lomo 800, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

  Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019   #494
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Leica R9, Summilux 50, Lomo 800, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #495
Scottboarding
Registered User
 
Scottboarding is offline
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81
My v550 bit the dust, and I'm realizing now that it wouldn't be much more expensive to buy the gear for a camera scan setup rather than replace the v600. I'm planning on using it for 6x6 to start, and maybe 35mm in the future. What all will I need? I have a Nikon D750 with a Nikon 50mm f1.4G which I plan on buying extension tubes for. I'll need a light source, but the only one I'm familiar with is the Slimlight that gets talked about a lot; is that a good one? I'll pick up the Lomo film holders for the 6x6 film and I already have a tripod that can invert. Is that all I need? Just buy the light, macro tubes, and a holder or am I missing something important? Thanks everyone!
__________________
Leica M2 - Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar ZM
Nikon FM2n - Nikon F3HP - Voigtlander 40mm f2 SLii - Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #496
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Can you AF with the extensions tubes on your D750?

When I used the D750, I had the 60mm 2.8D lens. I used AF in LiveView and it nailed focus on the grain level instantly. I initially tried doing it with inverting my tripod but it was extremely hard to get it lined up correctly. I bought a copy stand off ebay for $150 and that works perfectly. I also use an LED light pad from Amazon for about $20 - LiteEnergy Tracer.
For 35mm I use the Nikon ES-2 holder which works perfectly with the 60mm lens. Alternatively you can use the 35mm Digitilza (I do when I scan 35mm panos). For 120 I use the Digitiliza 120 holder.

Most important part for good colour is to use www.negativelapro.com plugin.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #497
mcfingon
Western Australia
 
mcfingon is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,105
Seconding what Huss says above. I use a 40/2.8 micro Nikkor lens on a Nikon D3300. It makes it much easier and better quality to use a designed-for-purpose auto-focus close up lens rather than focus manually and use a lens in a situation it's not corrected for with extension tubes.
John Mc
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #498
Scottboarding
Registered User
 
Scottboarding is offline
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81
Thanks guys! I do have Negative Lab Pro so I'm set there. I'll look into the 60mm 2.8D instead of the tubes. The copy stand sound interesting, and I never even thought about that. Would you say that camera scanning gives higher quality results than a scanner? A v600 isn't top of the line at all so if a camera can beat it in quality than it's worth it to spend more money in my eyes.
__________________
Leica M2 - Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar ZM
Nikon FM2n - Nikon F3HP - Voigtlander 40mm f2 SLii - Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #499
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottboarding View Post
Would you say that camera scanning gives higher quality results than a scanner? .
Most definitely. I own and run a gallery and camera scanning has given me results better than anything outside real drum scans.
And negativelabpro has been a gamechanger.

With your D750 youíll get best results with a copy stand, LiveView focusing, mirror up, remote release. I used Nikonís tiny remote control unit (ML2?) to trigger the camera to eliminate camera shake.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #500
Scottboarding
Registered User
 
Scottboarding is offline
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Most definitely. I own and run a gallery and camera scanning has given me results better than anything outside real drum scans.
And negativelabpro has been a gamechanger.

With your D750 youíll get best results with a copy stand, LiveView focusing, mirror up, remote release. I used Nikonís tiny remote control unit (ML2?) to trigger the camera to eliminate camera shake.
Wow that's awesome to hear! I've been fairly happy with my 35mm scans on my Pacific Image XAs, but the machine is painfully slow and the AF misses half the time. I'll definitely start camera scanning!
__________________
Leica M2 - Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar ZM
Nikon FM2n - Nikon F3HP - Voigtlander 40mm f2 SLii - Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #501
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Couple of things to note.. if you are scanning 35mm using the ES-2 (which I recommend), you can do it anytime of the day . If you are scanning 120, you have to do it in a dim room so that you do not get stray light reflections on the film. You want the only source of light to be from the light pad.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #502
Scottboarding
Registered User
 
Scottboarding is offline
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81
Thanks, Huss. My room can get really dark even in the middle of the day so my 120 scanning shouldn't be too big of an issue. I arranged a return of my XAs with Amazon which will cover the cost of just about everything I need. I'm picking up the 60mm f2.8d, ES-2, light source all as per your recommendation. I'm picking up the Lomo 120 holder as well which should be cool. I'm so excited to get it all!
__________________
Leica M2 - Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar ZM
Nikon FM2n - Nikon F3HP - Voigtlander 40mm f2 SLii - Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #503
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
No prob. FYI this is the copy stand that I use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Load-2...ry!90067!US!-1
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #504
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Slide film is awesome cuz you can just toss it onto a light pad and gaze at it lovingly...

Fuji TX-2, 45mm lens, Kodak E100, fingers by moi, iphone 'scan', film still in its plastic wrapper.

  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #505
Scottboarding
Registered User
 
Scottboarding is offline
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81
Massive thank you to Huss for helping me get started with camera scanning! Here's some of my first results. Scanned with a Nikon D750 and 60mm f2.8d







__________________
Leica M2 - Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar ZM
Nikon FM2n - Nikon F3HP - Voigtlander 40mm f2 SLii - Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #506
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottboarding View Post
Massive thank you to Huss for helping me get started with camera scanning! Here's some of my first results. Scanned with a Nikon D750 and 60mm f2.8d








Looking good!
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #507
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Nikon N75, 28-80G, Lomo 800 rated at 640, Nikon Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #508
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,877
Huss, you've mentioned the issues you've had with The Darkroom in California.... I think I'll join you in avoiding them. Two rolls of E-6 Provia 100 processed or scanned very badly.

Just one example: Out of twelve exposures, eleven of them were badly out of focus. Somehow, the twelfth one was absolutely sharp, but scanned to a different size than the others. What is up with that? Besides that, most shots on the roll were peppered with dust.

So on a whim I scanned it with my DSLR.... MUCH sharper now! This was from my Komaflex, by the way. A quickie DSLR scan.



__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #509
Dogman
Registered User
 
Dogman is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,455
Intriguing information.

With the recent death of a beautiful lady who was very important to my life forty years ago, I've been digging through old film and slides for photos of her. In the process I kept coming upon images of various people and subjects I had forgotten about over the years--B&W negatives, color slides, 35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6 and 4x5. Some very good photography, some very important memories for me. Getting these images digitized has become a priority for me with the ultimate purpose of making prints size 6x9 inches to 12x18 inches.

I have a Plustek scanner on order but the methods described here are appealing, especially since they can be used for the various formats I've used and the Plustek is only for 35mm.

In putting together a camera scanner (or "digitizer" if that's a better term) what do you think about this arrangement? A Nikon D800 camera body, Micro Nikkor 60mm 2.8G ED lens and the Nikon ES-2 for 35mm negatives and slides. Same camera and lens combination and a color balanced lightbox with homemade masks for various formats over 35mm. Everything attached to a sturdy Gitzo Studex tripod.

I would then use Lightroom 6 for converting and post processing.

I have some of this on hand, other items will need to be purchased (used).

Does this sound like an acceptable setup?
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #510
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Intriguing information.

With the recent death of a beautiful lady who was very important to my life forty years ago, I've been digging through old film and slides for photos of her. In the process I kept coming upon images of various people and subjects I had forgotten about over the years--B&W negatives, color slides, 35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6 and 4x5. Some very good photography, some very important memories for me. Getting these images digitized has become a priority for me with the ultimate purpose of making prints size 6x9 inches to 12x18 inches.

I have a Plustek scanner on order but the methods described here are appealing, especially since they can be used for the various formats I've used and the Plustek is only for 35mm.

In putting together a camera scanner (or "digitizer" if that's a better term) what do you think about this arrangement? A Nikon D800 camera body, Micro Nikkor 60mm 2.8G ED lens and the Nikon ES-2 for 35mm negatives and slides. Same camera and lens combination and a color balanced lightbox with homemade masks for various formats over 35mm. Everything attached to a sturdy Gitzo Studex tripod.

I would then use Lightroom 6 for converting and post processing.

I have some of this on hand, other items will need to be purchased (used).

Does this sound like an acceptable setup?

The majority of what you are going to use is perfect. The threads above this one on this page have detailed what else you need. A $20 lightpad from Amazon. A $150 copy stand from ebay (much better than a tripod). negativelabpro.com plug in to convert your images using LR.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #511
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Huss, you've mentioned the issues you've had with The Darkroom in California.... I think I'll join you in avoiding them. Two rolls of E-6 Provia 100 processed or scanned very badly.

Just one example: Out of twelve exposures, eleven of them were badly out of focus. Somehow, the twelfth one was absolutely sharp, but scanned to a different size than the others. What is up with that? Besides that, most shots on the roll were peppered with dust.

So on a whim I scanned it with my DSLR.... MUCH sharper now! This was from my Komaflex, by the way. A quickie DSLR scan.



Excellent tesult! Yes The Darkroom is awful.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #512
ColSebastianMoran
Registered User
 
ColSebastianMoran's Avatar
 
ColSebastianMoran is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
In putting together a camera scanner (or "digitizer" if that's a better term) what do you think about this arrangement? A Nikon D800 camera body, Micro Nikkor 60mm 2.8G ED lens and the Nikon ES-2 for 35mm negatives and slides. Same camera and lens combination and a color balanced lightbox with homemade masks for various formats over 35mm. Everything attached to a sturdy Gitzo Studex tripod.

I would then use Lightroom 6 for converting and post processing.
Backlight:

Inexpensive light pads have low enough quality of light to compromise things when shooting color negatives. Kaiser panel is good quality light, but you'll be shooting at 1/4sec.

Brighter lights of excellent light quality: Solux 4700įK MR-16 bulb, SORAA 4K Vivid MR-16 bulb. Most movie lights probably pretty good. Search for CN-T96 on eBay or elsewhere for a bargain with excellent light quality.

Software: Negative Lab Pro if you are doing color negatives and OK to work in Lightroom.
__________________
Col. Sebastian Moran, ret. (not really)

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #513
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Noblex 135 Sport, Kodak ProImage 100, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #514
dourbalistar
Registered User
 
dourbalistar's Avatar
 
dourbalistar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Noblex 135 Sport, Kodak ProImage 100, Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

Huss, is that a single frame capture using the Z7's native aspect ratio, cropped down in post? Or multiple image stitch in post? I'm sure the Z7 has plenty of resolution for cropping, just curious how you handle digitizing panoramic film formats.

I'm using an old 12 megapixel APS-C digital camera for my scans. Since 12MP isn't particularly high resolution, I've been filling the frame as much as possible for panoramic film formats, and then stitching multiple frames in post.
__________________
I like my lenses sharp as a tank and built like a tack.

flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #515
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
It's just a single shot of the image, then I cropped out the top and bottom that was dead space.
It's why I use a Z7 to scan, 47mp comes in real handy for stuff like this.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #516
dourbalistar
Registered User
 
dourbalistar's Avatar
 
dourbalistar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
It's just a single shot of the image, then I cropped out the top and bottom that was dead space.
It's why I use a Z7 to scan, 47mp comes in real handy for stuff like this.
Thanks, Huss. I've been tempted to upgrade to a higher resolution digital camera, but since I use film 99% of the time, I can't really justify the cost for myself. As it is, my digital camera only gets used for digitizing film.
__________________
I like my lenses sharp as a tank and built like a tack.

flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #517
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar
As it is, my digital camera only gets used for digitizing film.
Same w me!
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #518
Dogman
Registered User
 
Dogman is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,455
Huss & Col. Moran, thanks for the input.

I don't have many color negatives. From the beginning I shot almost all 35mm slides and transparencies for medium and large format. I guess I could probably do without the software. Also I already have a Bretford portable lightbox that I used for sorting and editing slides and negatives although it might need new tubes. But it might also be a bit scratched up from use...I'll check it before using it.

Come to think of it, I think I still have the copy arm for the old Leitz Valoy enlarger up in my attic. I may have everything I need.

The scanner I ordered is supposed to come today but I think I'll return it and go this route.

Thanks, guys.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #519
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I guess I could probably do without the software.
I cannot emphasize enough how key negativelabpro.com is IF if you are processing colour negative film. Before I used it, I had create my own profiles in LR etc and still I had to keep fiddling to get 'ok' results.
nlp has changed this to a 2 click process that gives fantastic colour. It is the single most important tool in processing colour negative film.

Either way, they have a free trial that lets you use it for 10 images.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #520
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,510
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:36.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.