Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Leica M10 at a VERY LOW Price
Old 11-20-2018   #1
Timmyjoe

Leica M10 at a VERY LOW Price

Trying to wrap my head around this, and if anyone is looking at purchasing a Leica M10 in the near future, you may want to check this out.

Spoke with a person at Popflash Photo and according to him, and their web site, Popflash has brand new Leica M10 cameras with full Leica factory warranty, all brand new in the box, for $5788. Not sure how they can do that, the salesperson said they got a special deal from Leica. Have not seen the same deal thru B&H or other retailers.

I have no connection with Popflash, save being a customer of theirs. They've always been straight with me in the past. Just find this really baffling, and wish I had the $5788 as I'd pick one up.

https://www.popflash.com

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-20-2018   #2
Huss

Tim, they show it as a used camera:

LEICA M10 BLACK DIGITAL RANGEFINDER CAMERA BODY #20000 MINT!
PRODUCT # 20000SPEC
LEICA CERTIFIED CAMERA
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION
LEICA USA 2 YEAR WARRANTY
9.98 out of 10 Mint Condition
ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS OF WEAR

Old 11-20-2018   #3
Timmyjoe

Yeah Huss, I saw that too and so I called them. They said they have to list it like that because Leica forbids any retailer from listing any of their new cameras for under MSRP. But they said the M10 cameras they have are brand new in the box, USA cameras, with a full two year Leica factory warranty.

Like I said above, I find it baffling, and if it were some retailer I'd never dealt with before, I'd be very suspicious, but I've had very good experiences dealing with Popflash over the years.

So, There Ya Go. Don't really understand it, but seems like someone could get a very good deal.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-20-2018   #4
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Yeah Huss, I saw that too and so I called them. They said they have to list it like that because Leica forbids any retailer from listing any of their new cameras for under MSRP. But they said the M10 cameras they have are brand new in the box, USA cameras, with a full two year Leica factory warranty.

Like I said above, I find it baffling, and if it were some retailer I'd never dealt with before, I'd be very suspicious, but I've had very good experiences dealing with Popflash over the years.

So, There Ya Go. Don't really understand it, but seems like someone could get a very good deal.

Best,
-Tim
Very interesting! Great for any buyer out there!

Old 11-21-2018   #5
Dralowid
Michael

Quote:

Best,
-Tim
It was ever thus. Years ago I bought a brand new M6TTL from one of the main London agents for below MSRP. It was described as 'display' but came with everything.

Old 11-20-2018   #6
MCTuomey

I have bought two cameras from popflash that were priced as you describe, or what I interpreted to be similar to other stores' "open box" pricing, meaning a camera priced below MSRP because the seller doesn't consider it fully factory new.

The cameras were as popflash represented without any issues at all. Tony Rose and the popflash staff are first-rate in my opinion and have served me very well on a number of purchases.

My Flickr

Old 11-20-2018   #7
ellisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
I have bought two cameras from popflash that were priced as you describe, or what I interpreted to be similar to other stores' "open box" pricing, meaning a camera priced below MSRP because the seller doesn't consider it fully factory new.

The cameras were as popflash represented without any issues at all. Tony Rose and the popflash staff are first-rate in my opinion and have served me very well on a number of purchases.
+1 re: Popflash. As noted, these items are essentially new and come with the same warranty as a new item.

The number of used M10s for sale is increasing as owners are upgrading to the 10-P. Some downward price pressure in the used M10 market.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 11-20-2018   #8
Vince Lupo

If you want even more of a deal, there’s a used one in the classifieds here that’s going for $4900 (I have no connection to the seller).

Is it me or are the M10’s dropping in price quicker than previous digital M models? It’s not like the M11 is coming out anytime soon.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 11-20-2018   #9
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
Is it me or are the M10’s dropping in price quicker than previous digital M models? It’s not like the M11 is coming out anytime soon.
No, but Nikon and Canon have released full-frame mirrorless cameras, and Panasonic and Sigma will release full-frame mirrorless cameras compatible with Leica SL and TL lenses (great video to be expected from Panasonic, outstanding low-ISO IQ from the Sigma Foveon). Also Nikon's thinner optical stack would be a better fit for adapted Leica M lenses than Sony's thick one.

Old 11-21-2018   #10
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
No, but Nikon and Canon have released full-frame mirrorless cameras, and Panasonic and Sigma will release full-frame mirrorless cameras compatible with Leica SL and TL lenses (great video to be expected from Panasonic, outstanding low-ISO IQ from the Sigma Foveon). Also Nikon's thinner optical stack would be a better fit for adapted Leica M lenses than Sony's thick one.
I have an M240, and bought a Z7 instead of an M10 as the M10 does not give me anything that my M240 doesnt, while the Z7 gives me so much more.
I just got some adapters for the Z7, so will see how it deals with Leica glass.

Old 11-21-2018   #11
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I have an M240, and bought a Z7 instead of an M10 as the M10 does not give me anything that my M240 doesnt, while the Z7 gives me so much more.
I just got some adapters for the Z7, so will see how it deals with Leica glass.
Huss, I'd be VERY INTERESTED in how your Leica glass works on the Nikon Z7. Please share with us your experiences.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-20-2018   #12
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
If you want even more of a deal, there’s a used one in the classifieds here that’s going for $4900 (I have no connection to the seller).

It doesn't seem that long a go when people were selling for above MSRP. I'm guessing there are more on the market; not selling as well as they thought or Leica has produced too many but are demanding that units move.

Old 11-20-2018   #13
splitimageview

These are indeed new, unused.

This is not a new development; it simply a way to advertise for less than Leica MAP (‘minimum advertised price’.)

I bought my M8 from Tony back in about 2007 in this fashion.

No better Leica dealer in the world, just wish Leica weren’t so poor with support on their digitals but that is for another discussion.

Old 11-20-2018   #14
Contarama

Gosh darn short sellers

Old 11-21-2018   #15
Out to Lunch

I bought from them before. This said, anyone recovering from GAS...do not go there!

Old 11-21-2018   #16
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
. . . anyone recovering from GAS...do not go there!
OMG Peter, I couldn't agree more. I won't even Bookmark their web page because whenever I visit, there are ten new things I want to buy.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-21-2018   #17
raid
Dad Photographer

Be strong. Stay away. Take photos.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-21-2018   #18
willie_901

I am happy with all the transactions I've made with Popflash.

Over the years I bought a Zeiss Ikon body, Zeiss M lenses and a bunch of Fujifilm gear.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-21-2018   #19
airfrogusmc

I was planning on picking up another M 10 by the end of the year. I decided to just bite the bullet and just order one. Free shipping and no tax. Gotta love it. Thanks Timmy for the heads up. Probably saved 2 k from if I would have bought local.

Old 11-21-2018   #20
raid
Dad Photographer

Good for you! Enjoy your second M10 (at such a good price).

Old 11-21-2018   #21
airfrogusmc

thanks Raid. It will make a few things easier with my pro work. My go to camera for my personal work is still the MM.

Old 11-21-2018   #22
Timmyjoe

I think we may have caused too much excitement about this. Popflash just raised the price by $200 to $5988.

Also noticed they have Leica M Monochrome (Typ 246) cameras for $6988, and they seem to be the same deal as the M10's, new in box with full Leica factory warranty.

I picked a lousy time to be short on cash. Oh well.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 03-19-2019   #23
james.liam

Quote:
I think we may have caused too much excitement about this. Popflash just raised the price by $200 to $5988.

Best,
-Tim
It's actually $5608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
I bought a 90 mm F4 macro from them listed a used/mint. It was shipped from Hong Kong and arrived in 3 days.

Some user without hands must have been the original purchaser because it was unmarked and all original packaging still in tact.

My conclusion it is grey market and somehow POP F gets a cut. Leica warrantees are international and honored unlike Nikon who will not touch grey market even if you pay them.
Popflash is an authorized Leica USA dealer. He wouldn't be involved in grey market items. I know that he does business with clients in East Asia; he told me once his prices end in "8" because it's considered a 'lucky' number amongst Chinese. Tony Rose will be up front if you asked him why it came from Hong Kong.

Old 11-26-2018   #24
airfrogusmc

Arrived today as described. New in box.

Old 11-26-2018   #25
Timmyjoe

Congratulations.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-26-2018   #26
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Congratulations.

Best,
-Tim
Again thanks so much for the heads up Tim.

Old 11-26-2018   #27
raid
Dad Photographer

Excellent buy.
Congrats.

Old 11-26-2018   #28
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Excellent buy.
Congrats.
Thanks Raid.

Old 11-27-2018   #29
Deardorff38

“VERY LOW” price.....definitely 1st world....��

Old 03-18-2019   #30
JPSuisse

Tony is a good guy.

I had one camera that was acting up. I sent it in to Leica Germany twice, and they could find no problem. Finally, I sent it to Tony, who played with the camera, saw the problem and complained to get it fixed. Result: bad board. Since the first return was done under warranty, Tony also still got the repair covered under warranty. (Even though a full year had lapsed on the warranty by then.)

Needless to say, I have bought a lot of stuff there. Everything I purchased there new or used, was properly represented.

Old 03-18-2019   #31
Huss

JP what camera was it?”

Old 03-19-2019   #32
Leicabug

Too bad I live in California... Sales tax took away price advantage.

Old 03-19-2019   #33
Leica All Day

I would love to get one

Old 03-19-2019   #34
raid
Dad Photographer

Who wouldn't, Michael.

Old 03-19-2019   #35
Ronald M

I bought a 90 mm F4 macro from them listed a used/mint. It was shipped from Hong Kong and arrived in 3 days.

Some user without hands must have been the original purchaser because it was unmarked and all original packaging still in tact.

My conclusion it is grey market and somehow POP F gets a cut. Leica warrantees are international and honored unlike Nikon who will not touch grey market even if you pay them.

Old 03-19-2019   #36
JPSuisse

Huss, a little OT, but the camera was my M8. It kept locking up with a blinking red light. The start with the M8 was bad. None of my lenses would focus and the camera kept locking up.

However, after (1.) I sent all my lenses back to Leica Germany for "adjusting"
and (2.) Tony got the main board replaced, the M8 became a great camera and has taken a hell of a beating too.

I still use it as no further digital M seems to make a big enough improvement for me to want to ante up the money. Further, I love the color, the sharpness and the small file size. Overall, I liked the M10 but the fake film advance lever kind of blew it for me.