Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #41
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
One thing for sure I would like is the dark background and white font.
Second that. All in favor say, "Aye."

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #42
peterm1

The look and feel is certainly appealing and modern. Hard to comment on the functionality till there is more up and working at least as a beta for testing.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #43
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I’ve never liked a white font on black, and use this current site with white background and black text. Much easier on my eyes.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #44
Bill Clark

As a user, to be truthful, the dot net version doesn’t look much different to me. Perhaps it’s because the site is in the early stage of development.

This forum really looks different, much improved over the old:

https://www.photo.net

It looks and feels like a 21st century place to visit and conduct business. Can you have at least a main page like the one on photo dot net? If I was still in business I would look to a site that looks like it belongs in the 21st century. They have a free basic service but for $29.95 a year there are other add ons. Maybe a way for you to gain some monetary traction!

The old forum was quite different, much like here and others on the web.

The forums section looks similar to here on rangefinder:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/

Gallery:

https://www.photo.net/photo-of-the-d...is-Year/Page-1

https://www.photo.net/trending/#1

To me rangefinder forum is a wonderful place. I like the folks here. It just needs some tweaks to add pizazz to the place like the front page amongst others.

Hate to write this memo but you should realize there are other spots that are pretty darn nice. Most of us, as photographers, are visual artists.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #45
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

I concur with the suggestions about New Posts (in my case, Quick Links is my usual entryway into the forum).

If you're interested in seeing the result of a test post where I tried uploading images from my Dropbox directly into a sample post, go here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.net/inde...2-in-florence/

A few images I tried to upload bonked, maybe because they were 7-10MB. No problem uploading images sized for the RFF Gallery, though. I don't use Flickr routinely, so whatever images I post on RFF go into the Gallery first. I like participating in the Gallery community, but it is nice to be able to use images directly from my home/Dropbox stash in a post without necessarily stuffing them into the Gallery first.

It appears that one would have to edit the post in order to interleave images and text, using cut/copy/paste, because the image chooser loads the image files at the end of whatever one has typed. (That's why my post is arranged as it is. I may try editing it in order to intercut the images with their captions.)

Robert Hill Long Tumblr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
One thing for sure I would like is the dark background and white font. Keep us posted on the updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Second that. All in favor say, "Aye."
I love the white on black and I love RFF just the way it is. I hope changes, when needed, will be evolutionary and not revolutionary. Like the song says, "Don't go changin' . . . "

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
FujiLove

The old site was down for me for a few minutes this morning. I saw the Cloudflare error page for a couple of minutes around 6:20am GMT.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
Brian Atherton

I understand the need to keep the RFF website and software up to date.

However, for my requirements the present forum functions serve my needs adequately.

My main criticism with the beta version is its white background. Can the present white text on black background be kept (or a user applied skin alternative), I just find it is easier on the eye.

EDIT
The other thing I would like kept is the square avatar format. The round format seems perverse on a photography forum.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

rangefinderforum.net
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
F6Roger

rangefinderforum.net

Sorry, but I much prefer our present RFF layout and look. It's distinctive and shouts RFF to me as soon as I'm logged on. Plus I find the white font on black background MUCH easier to read (old eyes )
But then I'm just a BOF who (mostly) prefers the past

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
jarski

features that seem important to many:
- dark background-white font - default theme would be nice
- similar searching (current top blue bar right side: New Posts - Search - Quick Links) would be important

btw. those who wonder how new site looks on different devices, just drag right edge of browser narrower and wider, you will see how site changes its layout (assuming you are testing site on computer with desktop)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
ABrosig

Mistyped password on first try. Second try, got the message that my account was locked and I needed to wait 15 minutes to try again. Frustrating.

http://andrewbrosigphotography.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew_...7638861831706/
http://instagram.com/andrewbrosig
http://www.andrewbrosigphotography.com

In hoc loco sum

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #52
konicaman
konicaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZillman
There are two things that I really like about Rff now that do not seem to be on the new site. First, there doesn't appear to be the option to read posts in chronological order as they are posted. Second, I really like the option to have the "VPB Graphite Xpand - White font" colors. Especially when reading at night. I also noticed that no photos are appearing. I've tried viewing the site on both an IPad and on a MacBrook Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe
Sorry, not a fan. Looks like every other photography/videography website out there. I like the unique look of rangefinderforum.com. The dark background, white type. The way it's laid out. The way the images pop against the dark background.

The new test site looks like "everything else on the web".

Look at sites like:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com

http://www.cinematography.com

They're a dime-a-dozen. I'd like to keep this site unique.

My 2¢ worth.

Best,
-Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-Dancer
I also just looked at the new setup.
I DO NOT like it.
I much prefer the way it is now.
Please leave it as it is.
Why?
Because it's present forum style is the best on the web.

I totally agree with all these comments. Sure, maybe incorporate the gallery improvements and a couple of the other suggestions; but I'd like it to stay fundamentally the way it is.

+1

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #53
Dwig

Personally, I like that the default is black text on white. What I want is a choice of a modest number of "themes" that would include white on black.

There are several forums that I frequent that function this way. The theme choice only sticks when you are logged in, its being a part of your personal info. This gives me a clear slap-in-the-face when I access a site and my browser, for whatever reason, doesn't login in automatically. The black on white page signals that I need to login.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #54
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Please have "New Posts" and "Mark Forums Read" buttons. They are the two buttons I use the most.
These, please.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #55
charjohncarter

When I sign in, all I get is 'Hour account has been locked. Try again in 9 or 14 or 8 seconds.'

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #56
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6Roger View Post
Sorry, but I much prefer our present RFF layout and look. It's distinctive and shouts RFF to me as soon as I'm logged on. Plus I find the white font on black background MUCH easier to read (old eyes
A few of the various boards I frequent have user-selectable themes. Is this possible? Maybe a "classic RFF" white on black (which I actually like) and choice of a few more current themes?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #57
JP Owens

As others have said, it's just another generic mobile friendly website. But, most people access the web on mobile devices, now, so those of us who prefer to use desktops will just have to accommodate the majority.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #58
B-9
Devin Bro

I assume our post count and feedback profiles will follow over to the new site?

I'm with that 45% who love RFF for the way it is now...

And I browse here on my iPhone 99% of the time with zero issues!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #59
Bill Clark

Another very good web site from a magazine publishd here in Minneapolis:

https://shotsmag.com

I understand that this is a forum but, at the very least, the front page could be similar to the front page at Shots.

Kinda like having a beautiful cover to your book.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #60
YouAreHere

RFF's 'white text on black background' always gave me a migraine. Fortunately there was a choice and I could set what worked best. The new site does not seem to offer any choices.

The circular profile pic messes with pics in other shapes.

Inserting pics was easy, at least from a desktop. Will have to try from an iPad.

Browsing the Forums in Table format - don't like. Changing to Fluid, that one I do like. But sorting by Recently Updated it did not pick up my post to the "W/NW: Something, anything just post..." thread.

All things considered, I LIKE the new site.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #61
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

There are not enough new posts in threads on the main forum page.
The loss of a list of all the forums and sub-forums showing on the main page is huge to me.
Posts in threads should be in chronological order top to bottom.
I guess I'm saying I don't like change so much, as it takes so long to learn a new site.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #62
YouAreHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
There are not enough new posts in threads on the main forum page.
The loss of a list of all the forums and sub-forums showing on the main page is huge to me.
Posts in threads should be in chronological order top to bottom.
I guess I'm saying I don't like change so much, as it takes so long to learn a new site.
On my desktop, after logging out and then back in, the 'home page' for me is not the RangefinderForum Portal tab but rather Browse/Forums and the display is saved as I'd set earlier, to Fluid. Here all the Forums and Sub-Forums are shown (albeit not exactly the same as existing style).

But if just browsing RFF as a Guest then RangefinderForum Portal tab is the home page. And I cannot, without logging in, change how Browse/Forums is displayed.

So, I like the way the new version looks when I am logged in but I do not like it when I am not.

Old 1 Week Ago   #63
mconnealy

I don't often post pictures or comments on RFF. However, I have followed the forums daily for a long time and I greatly value the site as a film photography resource. I mostly think that the current format does a good job of meeting users' needs, though I can think of a few enhancements based on what I see available on other platforms.

Another forum I follow regularly is Filmwasters. One feature I appreciate there among others is the "go down" button; that saves a lot of scrolling time as it permits instantly going to the last post in a thread.

I post what I consider my best photos on Flickr and I maintain a blog. My purpose in both instances is to have the capacity to curate my own viewing experience, both in regard to my pictures and to those of other photographers. On Flickr I can opt to follow other users' work and when I click on "People" I get to see the most recent picture posted by all those I follow; there are usually a couple dozen per day. Flickr also allows me to easily follow specific topics through user groups and permits me to organize my own photos in folders based on criteria that I select.

The feature proposed for the new RFF.net that seems most revolutionary is the capacity to upload photos directly to the site. The implementation is very nice. While that is something a lot of users will greatly appreciate it does raise some questions about the direction of the site.

Direct uploading of photos seems to put RFF in direct competition with Flickr. The last stats I have seen indicate around six million Flickr uploads daily; that seems like quite a high bar in terms of server load. Since RFF has a more restricted focus than Flickr I suppose one could expect less of a burden, but easy, free uploading of images and unrestricted linking is going to attract a lot of use which is not directly connected to the site's objectives I would think. I wonder if there is a plan in the works to offset the cost of additional traffic by some kind of paid membership.

While I think Flickr generally offers a lot of value in regard to letting users organize their own work, it has really deteriorated in regard to exchanging ideas. Even in the Flickr groups that are heavily used there is currently almost no discussion among group participants. I'm not sure why that is; I can only imagine it has something to do with social networking, but I don't know where specific discussions about film photography are taking place outside of RFF and a few other film-oriented sites. Easy and responsive forum interaction along with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic user base really seems to be RFF's great strength, so continuing to support that seems like it ought to be the main objective to me.

Old 1 Week Ago   #64
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

I'm for the new version. But please, please provide a dark theme!

Old 1 Week Ago   #65
charjohncarter

Is there a way I can see the daily posts like when I found this post? I looked but don't see it. I would prefer to not have to go to specific sub-categories; I like the serendipity running though what is new.

Old 1 Week Ago   #66
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
As a user, to be truthful, the dot net version doesn’t look much different to me. Perhaps it’s because the site is in the early stage of development.

This forum really looks different, much improved over the old:

https://www.photo.net

It looks and feels like a 21st century place to visit and conduct business. Can you have at least a main page like the one on photo dot net? If I was still in business I would look to a site that looks like it belongs in the 21st century.
That looks like the exact opposite of what I hope this site could become. Perhaps I am in a minority... Maybe that site works better on smartphones? Yes, I am a luddite who does not have a smartphone, but I do have plenty of cameras.... And a regular monitor.

Old 1 Week Ago   #67
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
That looks like the exact opposite of what I hope this site could become. Perhaps I am in a minority... Maybe that site works better on smartphones? Yes, I am a luddite who does not have a smartphone, but I do have plenty of cameras.... And a regular monitor.
I've had a smartphone for some time, but for this site and the other photo sites I frequent I almost always do so on the home or office computers with monitors or else the netbook when on the road.

Old 1 Week Ago   #68
summar

The new format works for me. I've always used the black-on-white option. One nitpicking comment: I liked the boldface font the old format used for the titles of unread threads -- easier to see right away what threads new to me are all about.

Old 1 Week Ago   #69
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by summar View Post
The new format works for me. I've always used the black-on-white option. One nitpicking comment: I liked the boldface font the old format used for the titles of unread threads -- easier to see right away what threads new to me are all about.
Agreed. In any case the new forum is too "light" as viewing experience. No bold or contrast colours to help the eye find its way. It looks very wishy-washy.
This is indeed a big plus of the old forum: Can't this be replicated to some extent with separate selectable layouts?

Old 1 Week Ago   #70
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
I've had a smartphone for some time, but for this site and the other photo sites I frequent I almost always do so on the home or office computers with monitors or else the netbook when on the road.
Maybe we should poll the read/contribute usage of the actually active members of the old forum.

Read only (daily, quickly, during commuting): On smartphone via Tapatalk app. Hence: I don't need a mobile optimized look and feel! (I suppose the new forum can also be accessed via Tapatalk)

Read only (longer than 5 minutes): Like the big chronological overview of the new posts in the .com portal

Posting answers: 99 % I do this only via web portal, because of the far more complex edit and cut/paste capabilities of a computer against the minimalistic handling on a smartphone. Again: Don't need any smartphone optimized view.

The big plus of the new .net forum regarding images seems to be acclaimed by most of the posters here. I have to test this too.

Conclusion: Make the web portal strong again (coundn't resist ) and don't look too much at the mobile side. Tapatalk is in any case the better application for this.

This Is A Post Title
Old 1 Week Ago   #71
dct

This Is A Post Title

I don't use it often, but there are threads where this is useful to enhance a side topics or a summary of the hundred posts before etc.

Not possible in the new forum software?

Separate Mobile Layout?
Old 1 Week Ago   #72
dct

Separate Mobile Layout?

Many discussed pro and cons here are about the way the new .net layout adopts to mobile devices (PLUS). But misses completely the strong look and feel on traditional computer devices (MINUS).

But you can have both: An "old fashioned" HTML enhanced web portal view (for standard computer devices or smart TVs) and a separate mobile view (for smartphones etc.)

Thake the NYT as an example.

www.nytimes.com is the normal web portal view (on computer). They even show some traditional newspaper layout.

Of course, using a mobile devices it changes the layout. But completely!
Because this is not the web portal layout which changes, rather the redirection to a mobile optimized separate layout. (Content is of course the same)
You can address it directly with mobile.nytimes.com.

Couldn't this be configured similarly also in the new software in RFF .net?

Old 5 Days Ago   #73
dotur
od karnevala

Question

Will a RFF member be allowed to delete a photo from his own member album in the gallery? If so, please provide us with the answer how?

dotur's photo albums